The Rumour Thread

Hot take courtesy /r/warhammerunderworlds:

"The tzeentch band contains a sorcerer of tzeentch with a big feather cape, a tzaangor with greatsword, an acolyte with sword and shield, an acolyte with just sword, a blue horror, and a pair of brimstone horrors on a base.

The goblin band has a shaman with lantern and staff, a fanatic, a netter, an armoured goblin with a branding pole, 3 bow grots and 2 squigs. That's right, 9 guys. I suspect the branding guy controls squigs in a way to maximise actions"

Two things: this pretty much confirms that this detail from the image of organised play gear is the Tzeentch sorcerer hero, if anyone wants an idea of how he/she/it will look.

Maybe more interesting, the blue horror must split into brimstone horrors, and the grots - with 9 models! - will probably summon their squigs after deployment. I guess through the armoured guy with the brand, as an action or as a spell? Definitely opens up a lot of possibilities, not only in how these guys might play (differentiating them from skaven or Sepulchral Guard, for example) but also for how warbands can be deployed - i.e. not all at once. This could be interesting in future seasons - summoning Seraphon onto the battlefield midgame? Beastmen being deployed off-board? But now I'm just theorycrafting...

Pretty psyched by all these anyways. Loving the Conan the Barbarian Darkoath, those guys look like they should be airbrushed on the side of a van.

Edited by Dieselfruit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder how many years I will need to wait for them to sort out the vampire section of death. Death feels like a mess now that I’ve gotten into it honestly. 

Only the ghosts are updated and to an extent FEC. Deathrattle models are old, but not terrible in quality, but most of the vampires are resin and their actual ability to put together a cohesive army is... essentially nonexistent. Soulblight is really bad apparently. 

Plus they straight up deleted all the ranged options. Skeleton Archers and stuff were all Tomb Kings. Also why were the majority of skeletons Tomb King but 3 units (Black Knights, Skeleton Warriors and Grave Guard) set aside for a completely different army? 

Everything is split up strangely and many of the models are old with only the Nighthaunt getting a big revamp. I hope Destruction gets love, and Slaneesh too as well as STD, to get the “main” stuff for each Grand Alliance some love but do you think the everything that isn’t Nighthaunt section of Death will see any love in the next 2 years or so? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bloodmaster said:

Interesting and promising set of new warbands.

@Overread with the two from the season starter the warbands clock in at a total of 8 no DoK or Idoneth this season....

Ahh yes I forgot about the two in the starter set. A shame, Daughters would have been great to see; though I'm glad to see lots of Destruction love!

Just have to wait for Shadspire 3! 

1 hour ago, Hankster said:

The moment they add Daughters of Khaine (I don't really see how Deepkin would fit) I'm buying in! 

Soulrender + thralls/reavers.  Possibly a Tidecaster if they want them to have a wizard.

Could be there looking for a replenishable supply of souls.  Fits pretty easily imo.

Edited by Drofnum
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Enoby said:

What do you think makes them fall into the uncanny valley? I've seen a few people complain about the artwork, but see no issue myself.

The faces lack emotion and expression (or they have abnormal features). The poses are Stiff (Sylvaneth)

the humans and elves have strange fragile hands and or weapons.

Edited by JackStreicher

17 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

Soulrender + thralls/reavers.  Possibly a Tidecaster if they want them to have a wizard.

Could be there looking for a replenishable supply of souls.  Fits pretty easily imo.

Maybe. You're right about the souls link. I pretty much only play with Akhelians, so I often forget about the other units. 

DoK are much better known though, so I'd say they are more likely. I'll take any Aelves in can get though. 

28 minutes ago, Icegoat said:

Just realised the troll must be a wizard troll. He has a wizard staff. 

Maybe the Troll/Troggoth is a summoner/wizard who can summon those little schroom monsters?

The Troggoth might be a "single model" warband which can summon all kinds of stuff?

This would certainly be cool.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Infeston said:

Maybe the Troll/Troggoth is a summoner/wizard who can summon those little schroom monsters?

The Troggoth might be a "single model" warband which can summon all kinds of stuff?

This would certainly be cool.

That would be very cool, kind of reminds of me of the hired charcters in warcraft 3, which I still hold to be one of the best games Ive played. Not saying it reminds me of visuals, just mor ein the summoning of odd beasts and spells. How cool, of ot is the case, would make more sense than a troll, a squig, and a rock walk into shadespire.

1 hour ago, Ravinsild said:

I wonder how many years I will need to wait for them to sort out the vampire section of death. Death feels like a mess now that I’ve gotten into it honestly. 

Only the ghosts are updated and to an extent FEC. Deathrattle models are old, but not terrible in quality, but most of the vampires are resin and their actual ability to put together a cohesive army is... essentially nonexistent. Soulblight is really bad apparently. 

Plus they straight up deleted all the ranged options. Skeleton Archers and stuff were all Tomb Kings. Also why were the majority of skeletons Tomb King but 3 units (Black Knights, Skeleton Warriors and Grave Guard) set aside for a completely different army? 

Everything is split up strangely and many of the models are old with only the Nighthaunt getting a big revamp. I hope Destruction gets love, and Slaneesh too as well as STD, to get the “main” stuff for each Grand Alliance some love but do you think the everything that isn’t Nighthaunt section of Death will see any love in the next 2 years or so? 

While this is probably not the place to complain but while we are on the topic it’s strange we have 3 order warbands, 2 chaos, 2 destruction and only 1 death ???

not complaining, just pointing it out since this was the year of death!

on a related topic today the Sepulchral guard warband is the only Shadespire warband that is basically not usable in AoS... I still think Deathrattle may be coming, maybe not soon but reading the Souls war book there’s a lot of inspiration from death Sylvaneth to new death beings...

Or maybe it’s just wishful thinking...

2 hours ago, Carnelian said:

Wait until you see what they are riding in their full aos release...!! ???

(this is just a guess based on past models - I have no inside info) 

I think you're right, and Darkoath will be mostly a mounted army, but what they ride will really set them apart. Are there any clues in the MP stories?

3 hours ago, Hankster said:

The moment they add Daughters of Khaine (I don't really see how Deepkin would fit) I'm buying in! 

I mean really the same could be said about the Sylvaneth, why are they in Shadespire? I'm looking forward to reading their paragraph in the rulebook because I honestly can't figure out why they're there.

2 minutes ago, Dirtnaps said:

I mean really the same could be said about the Sylvaneth, why are they in Shadespire? I'm looking forward to reading their paragraph in the rulebook because I honestly can't figure out why they're there.

Powerful magics, ancient relics, undead causing a disturbance - remember these are small teams from large nations. A handful of elite rather than rank and file armies so its no shock that many of the various factions want to take a slice out of the pie if they can. Plus if Stormcast are already there then it wouldn't be a shock if other Order factions were well aware of the goings on and are coming to have their own attempt to steal some magical relics - why should Sigmar's forces get them all! 

If there's power to be had then the other factions would easily find reason to, if not turn on allies, at least compete with them to take what power and artifcats and knowledge they can. 

• Thanks 1

Ah true that I'd forgotten that, it actually makes a lot of sense. That also leaves it open to every faction which is pretty awesome, I also like that they're kind of using it as a platform to hint at new lines of minis coming with the moonclan and darkoath. They could potentially even use it to announce factions that don't exist yet like maybe the Katophrane themselves eventually assuming they aren't actually all dead/gone like it seems and are possibly locked away somewhere within Shadespire. They sound pretty interesting going from what I've read of the Shadespire novel.

I would be so happy to see a necromunda or more a kill team style for age of sigmar with this bands... something like mordheim or more simple... I don't know but the map tiles on underworlds kinda makes a too much a static play and I feel more beautiful and awesome a map with nice scenography like a kill team small map with fantasy style houses and different style trees, invocation stones, rivers, forests, idoneth ruins... 

I know ubderworlds has a lot of fans and I don't say is a bad game but I would like to have a skirmish nice game in AoS.  Like kill team u can make ur band and put the weapons u want it would be nice to have a official sigmar system. It's not difficult as is the same as skirmish but with the rules and support of kill team. I know it will not happen because for AoS competitive we have underworlds but I just wanted to say this... I want it so badly because I see that sylvaneth band or I think on a band of my army's and I would like to have competitive tournaments and that without caring of cards, hexagonal tiles and that... 

Maybe I'm drunk but is what I would love

Edited by Hoseman
  • Like 8