The Rumour Thread

21 minutes ago, Saiken said:

It could be anything really.
Or at least, we should try to proceed by elimination.  I don't see this being anything Chaos related. Especially not Slaanesh.
Somehow, I feed like it could be Dark Aelves related. I really don't see this being Moonclan. It kind of don't fit the aesthethics.

I think it's too ramshackle by build(i.e. not worn/corroded to that point)  to be dark elf, or even death. So my money is on Moonclan or Skaven. Moonclan because there's rumors of them coming with new stuff, and while new Skaven may not be in the pipeline as an army, it could be another Shadespire warband.

• Like 1

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/22/22nd-may-magic-casting-and-unbindinggw-homepage-post-2/

Changes to magic!

Unbinding at 30" instead of 18", Arcane bolt doing only 1 mw but d3 if the casting roll is 10+ and mystic shield giving re-rolls of 1 instead of +1 save are the big changes!

EDIT: also new magic for all the realms! I'm still not sure how this is going to be implemented, the article talks about different spells being accessible depending on where you fight, so maybe they are extra spells all casters get at the start of the game?

The spell they revealed seems pretty good, basically a deepstrike attached to a casting value 8. It can have its uses for sure!

Edited by smucreo
  • Like 1

Hmm, Arcane bolt and Mystic shield both got nerfed. I'm guess it has less to do with them being overpowered and more to do with "encouraging" use of all the new spells coming out. I wonder if it could also indicate the rule of one going away for at least basic spells since the new mystic shield won't stack and the arcane both probably isn't worth spamming as much as smite in 40k.

Not sure how I feel about the unbind range. On one hand it was a bit awkward to have wizards positioned right to be in unbind range, but that was part of the strategy of the game. Now it seems like it'll be  very hard for an army with few wizards to go against one with many, but then I guess that is thematic.

8 minutes ago, smucreo said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/05/22/22nd-may-magic-casting-and-unbindinggw-homepage-post-2/

Changes to magic!

Unbinding at 30" instead of 18", Arcane bolt doing only 1 mw but d3 if the casting roll is 10+ and mystic shield giving re-rolls of 1 instead of +1 save are the big changes!

EDIT: also new magic for all the realms! I'm still not sure how this is going to be implemented, I'm guessing each faction will hail from different realms and as such will have magic from their corresponding realm to choose from, it's cool anyways! 

The spell they revealed seems pretty good, basically a deepstrike attached to a casting value 8. It can have its uses for sure!

It was said in the article that the spells are available for the games happening on the realm:

For example, the new edition brings with it a whole Lore of Magic’s worth of spells for almost every realm, depending on where your battle is taking place.

Here’s one of our favourites that any Wizard can use, for when you find yourself battling in the radiant vistas of Hysh:

So similar to what we have now, but expanded.

Edited by Jamopower
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragobeth said:

I could say Moonclan or Skaven, probably Moonclan.

This was my thought as well.  The only two factions that already exist, or did in Warhammer Fantasy, that this would visually fit in with would be Goblins or Skaven.  It looks too well crafted and also too slim for anything Orc - so I would rule out Ironjawz and Greenskinz.  It does look like it could be for Moonclan since it is fairly similar to the Warboss on Giant Squig's sword. 

If this is Moonclan then it is an interesting shift in design though - since so far they have not had the same oddly faceted blades that Orcs have started to get.

3 hours ago, smucreo said:

Changes to magic!

EDIT: also new magic for all the realms! I'm still not sure how this is going to be implemented, the article talks about different spells being accessible depending on where you fight, so maybe they are extra spells all casters get at the start of the game?

It's not so much a deepstrike as a 'your unit is worthless for 2 turns hahahahahahah' spell.

3 hours ago, bsharitt said:

Hmm, Arcane bolt and Mystic shield both got nerfed. I'm guess it has less to do with them being overpowered and more to do with "encouraging" use of all the new spells coming out.

I think that is part of it, but I also think that Arcane Shield was simply too good of an ability for a generic spell.  It was fine in the majority of cases, but there are a number of interactions where that spell is just over the top.  It was probably distorting some of the design space.  Flat armor boost abilities should be targeted in regards to what they can interact with and who gets them in my opinion.  I think the Mystic Shield change is a good one.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AaronWIlson said:

****** I would lose my mind if TK alike army was brought back, I'd be all in!!

As much as them coming back would be just about the sweetest, most awesomest, gaming/hobby thing to happen to me in several years, I just don't see it.

Super sad face.  Super.

3 hours ago, BURF1 said:

It's not so much a deepstrike as a 'your unit is worthless for 2 turns hahahahahahah' spell.

Yeah, bit sceptical over that one but it’s such a great disrupter which players both get if it takes place in shyish. 

Because of that tease i’m Leaning more to expecting it will be add on instead of part of. Kind of like the time of war rules 

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Yeah, bit sceptical over that one but it’s such a great disrupter which players both get if it takes place in shyish. 

Because of that tease i’m Leaning more to expecting it will be add on instead of part of. Kind of like the time of war rules 

I'm hoping it will be an add-on that isn't used in more 'competitive' style games, simply because it's TOO good of a disruptive tool. Yes, technically speaking both players have the potential to tale advantage of it but that will be so lopsided the spell immediately breaks certain match-ups.

EVERYTHING FROM HERE DOWN IS ASSUMING TOURNAMENT STYLE COMPETITVE PLAY

For example, Arkhan Death Vs. Blightking focused Maggotkin, both reasonably strong mid-tier lists, and yet it should be immediately obvious just how 'boned'(heh, pun) the Maggotkin player is just off of his one spell. Arkhan can pick a unit within 18" of him every turn and just blast it off into space, and with Blightkings being both expensive and slow(even with Maggotkin benefits) it takes them almost entirely out of the game. The spell could be rewritten as 'pick your opponents most expensive unit, it is slain' and it wouldn't change much for the maggotkin player.

Yes technically the maggotkin player could unbind, or Arkhan could miss the cast but in reality those are both such ridiculous longshots due to Arkhan having as much as +6 to cast, that not only will it never miss, the Maggotkin player will never be able to cast it themselves. Yes, it's also possible that there are other things for the unit to do outside that 24" bubble, such as contesting objective, but the thing is the unit was where it was for a reason. 

That's an extreme example but you have this same problem all over the place, You brought a unit of 15 brutes? I brought a 100pt spellcaster and got arcane terrain.  You brought 20 retributors? I brought Morathi and got Arcane Terrain. That one spell is so powerful that it crowds out large units and slow units just by being a POSSIBILITY. You can't afford to run large units or large slowish monsters or even slow units because if you get hit with banishment it's only one step down from just removing those units from the game.

Edited by BURF1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BURF1 said:

I'm hoping it will be an add-on that isn't used in more 'competitive' style games, simply because it's TOO good of a disruptive tool. Yes, technically speaking both players have the potential to tale advantage of it but that will be so lopsided the spell immediately breaks certain match-ups.

EVERYTHING FROM HERE DOWN IS ASSUMING TOURNAMENT STYLE COMPETITVE PLAY

For example, Arkhan Death Vs. Blightking focused Maggotkin, both reasonably strong mid-tier lists, and yet it should be immediately obvious just how 'boned'(heh, pun) the Maggotkin player is just off of his one spell. Arkhan can pick a unit within 18" of him every turn and just blast it off into space, and with Blightkings being both expensive and slow(even with Maggotkin benefits) it takes them almost entirely out of the game. The spell could be rewritten as 'pick your opponents most expensive unit, it is slain' and it wouldn't change much for the maggotkin player.

Yes technically the maggotkin player could unbind, or Arkhan could miss the cast but in reality those are both such ridiculous longshots due to Arkhan having as much as +6 to cast, that not only will it never miss, the Maggotkin player will never be able to cast it themselves. Yes, it's also possible that there are other things for the unit to do outside that 24" bubble, such as contesting objective, but the thing is the unit was where it was for a reason. 

That's an extreme example but you have this same problem all over the place, You brought a unit of 15 brutes? I brought a 100pt spellcaster and got arcane terrain.  You brought 20 retributors? I brought Morathi and got Arcane Terrain. That one spell is so powerful that it crowds out large units and slow units just by being a POSSIBILITY. You can't afford to run large units or large slowish monsters or even slow units because if you get hit with banishment it's only one step down from just removing those units from the game.

There will be ways around it (msu for example) and the lists that start rising to the top and winning will have the 'right stuff' to do well even when they draw the short straw of shyish with a strong spell casting opponent.

The only question for me is - will the meta be interesting taking all the changes in question into account. I think it's too early to say (personally). I do like the idea of strong magic.

Someone on Dakka said that Moonlcan will be the next battletome after death, followed by Slaanesh. It seems to be the same dude that talked about Nurgle before their release. We had Cave-Shaman and some rumor engines that support this theory, of course only time will tell if he is right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

Someone on Dakka said that Moonlcan will be the next battletome after death, followed by Slaanesh. It seems to be the same dude that talked about Nurgle before their release. We had Cave-Shaman and some rumor engines that support this theory, of course only time will tell if he is right.

I hope so. Nice to see my investments in the non-battletome Nighthaunt and Moonclan armies look like they'll both pay off this year. Maybe I should go buy some down on their luck stocks and hope for the same results...

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

He posts here too. We discussed it a few pages back (EDIT : p.471), with other posters from here confirming the "Autumn / End 2019" time frame for Slaanesh.

Edited by HorticulusTGA
  • Like 1

I know in my heart of hearts this isn’t happening but, IM ALL IN - TAKE ALL MY MONEY - ALLOFIT, if it does. 

I love AoS, think the game is super fun and I love the lore too, but nothing’s clicked with me as much as Tomb Kings has. Really hope they do it some day. 

On 5/22/2018 at 8:43 AM, AaronWIlson said:

****** I would lose my mind if TK alike army was brought back, I'd be all in!!

• Like 1

My guess for the release timeline would be

June- AoS 2.0, SCE, Nighthaunt, Magic supplement

July- Imperial Knight Release, anything spilled over from the June release

August - Adeptus Titanicus, Space wolfs

September -Moonclan

October - Orks (just because Ork-tober), Kill-team

November- Slaanesh

December - No idea

Edited by novakai
  • Haha 1