The Rumour Thread

15 minutes ago, nine7six said:

anyone think that the rule allowing charging units to always go first in combat phase will come to Aos?

Man I do not hope so. That will be a very serious change. Speed will become extremely important and combat phases will be more boring for the defending player. I always like the stratigic dilemma one phases whenever you made two important charges in the same charge phase and it leaves you with a hard decesion to make. 

• Like 5

They said they assessed ways to speed up the game and have been successful, so I wonder what they concluded? I play a large horde army right now and it can take ages to play when there is tons of scenery (and it seems they want MORE scenery not less), so they must have figured out a way to drastically speed up piling-in or got rid of the need for it. That and setup take ages. Maybe setup is now fast somehow... I dunno. Can't see the  scenery issue being solved so it must be pile-in or setup thats faster now. 

It would also drastically lessen the power of tides of death for Deepkin, an army they just barely released and seemingly wrote rules for knowing AoS2 was coming.  It would be a really weird change when compared to that ability alone.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Drofnum said:

It would also drastically lessen the power of tides of death for Deepkin, an army they just barely released and seemingly wrote rules for knowing AoS2 was coming.  It would be a really weird change when compared to that ability alone.

It'd be more powerful on your opponent's turn. 

2 minutes ago, Bjarni St. said:

It'd be more powerful on your opponent's turn. 

Thats true, but it would be basically useless on your turn, since most of the punch from deepkin comes from their charge you tend to want to charge in the 3rd turn if possible.  

I just think it would be strange to have that rule then write something that is very similar to it into the core rules for all armies. I guess it may just mean making sure you charge 2nd turn and then 3rd turn you still get your attacks even if they arent as powerful. 

51 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

They said they assessed ways to speed up the game and have been successful, so I wonder what they concluded? I play a large horde army right now and it can take ages to play when there is tons of scenery (and it seems they want MORE scenery not less), so they must have figured out a way to drastically speed up piling-in or got rid of the need for it. That and setup take ages. Maybe setup is now fast somehow... I dunno. Can't see the  scenery issue being solved so it must be pile-in or setup thats faster now. 

I hope by speed up they mean limit the number of things that can be done in the Hero phase, because that phase takes an age when playing vs. Death, Nurgle or Tzeench 

Edited by Charles
Typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charles said:

I hope by speed up they mean limit the number of thins that can be done in the Hero phase, because that phase takes an age when playing vs. Death, Nurgle or Tzeench 

yet from the teasers so far it seems they are adding more stuff to it (e.g. command point stuff). probably just creating a new magic phase on top of a command phase or something. 

2 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

yet from the teasers so far it seems they are adding more stuff to it (e.g. command point stuff). probably just creating a new magic phase on top of a command phase or something. 

I’m hoping that it costs command points to take Hero Phase actions like using all the regenerate stuff, and mortal wound spam so it forces tactical choices for the newer powered up Battletomes. 

Although I am probably just dreaming ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

Judging from the warscroll for the knight invocator theres no change to casting, you still do it in the hero phase.

Agreed, as it is multiple charges is a tactical decision knowing where you will have to pick your battles and prioritise and where you can afford to take a punch before you swing. Knowing you will swing first across the board there is little reason not to take every charge.

50 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

Agreed, as it is multiple charges is a tactical decision knowing where you will have to pick your battles and prioritise and where you can afford to take a punch before you swing. Knowing you will swing first across the board there is little reason not to take every charge.

Lists would just devolve into a bunch of high mobility monsters who charge at the same time and wipe out half the opponent's army in one go.  Sounds terrible.

Example: Vhordrai + 2 VLoZD.  Use command points to use all of their command abilities.  Fly across the board. Kill everything in sight.  

There are countless other examples of combinations which, without the fear of losing a big point investment will just wipe out the majority of the opponent's force.  Unless of course we move from #hordemeta to #msuscreenmeta.  

Gordrakk+mega boss on maw krusha + a bunch of pigs is another example that can get across the board and end a game immediately.

I truly hope this rumor proves to be false.

There is one reason that I believe this rumor to be false, however.  It would render the Idoneth High Tide battle trait that they just wrote nearly valueless.

2 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

Lists would just devolve into a bunch of high mobility monsters who charge at the same time and wipe out half the opponent's army in one go.  Sounds terrible.

Example: Vhordrai + 2 VLoZD.  Use command points to use all of their command abilities.  Fly across the board. Kill everything in sight.  

There are countless other examples of combinations which, without the fear of losing a big point investment will just wipe out the majority of the opponent's force.  Unless of course we move from #hordemeta to #msuscreenmeta.  

Gordrakk+mega boss on maw krusha + a bunch of pigs is another example that can get across the board and end a game immediately.

There is one reason that I believe this rumor to be false, however.  It would render the Idoneth High Tide battle trait that they just wrote nearly valueless.

Two things. 

1) You have a 100 percent accurate rumor source implying the rule is changing. 

2) GW could easily errata the High Tide ability to trump charging units. 

I am not offering an opinion on what it would do to the game (I think I would need to test it).  I’m just saying all signs point to a change coming and I think the Idoneth rule could be adapted quite easily. 

Seriously LLV I hope you are trolling this time! To make the charger always go first could be the dumbest change ever. Why take away a tactical element from the game? Who in their right mind would suggest this? Which playtester would praise it? Aren't they supposed to be veterans? Please no. Just no. Like the other rumors though and models look amazing! 

• Like 5

Just to clarify I don’t know anything 100% when it comes to rules but I heard ‘combat more like 40k’ which would imply the charging goes first and the pile in changes. This would be consistent with speeding up the game objective gw have stated.

so it’s not set in stone 

Edited by LLV
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Richelieu said:

Of course the natural counter is to protect all the important parts of your army with layers of chaff screens. Possibly leading to micromanagement of the formation of your army.

The chargers go first would in my head lead to a game similar to old fantasy battle, where the first few turns both players would try to remove each others chaff units while keeping the heavy hitters back and whomever gets the big charge in wins. That was of course in a game where there was charge diverting and the armies were in overall bit slower.  Without diverting, the charging is a lot more safe, especially with monsters such as the Zombie dragons.  The game dynamic with chargers going first is so different, that the exact effect is hard to even figure out. In 40k the whole dynamic is very different as most of the close combat units are so bad in dealing damage and the whole retreating mechanism is so much more useful due to the amount of firepower (especially from close range due to rapid fire etc.) each army has available.

• Like 1

Age of Sigmar is a game built on the foundation of alternating combat activations.  Changing just that one mechanic would have sweeping repercussions that could bring down the whole house.

What would concern me is if the development cycle was dominated by those that disliked the game (because reasons) rather than those that actually understand its strengths.

• Like 1

What about a +1 hit or -1 rend to the unit that charged?

You can already hit first if you carged, you charge in your turn and you choose first what unit activates in combat in your turn, of course this only affects one of your units but making all charging units attack first could make that you have less choices in your own turn just becouse you carged.

Giving you a +1 on hit or rend to representate the impact of a unit charging another could be cool (I know that it could make some units super brutes if they have rend in the warscroll, it's just an example) and could give us another rule where if you declare that one unit is prepared agaisnt charges (maybe if it didn't move this turn or something) it could cancel the bonus of any charge agaisnt it or give you another bonus like +1 save.

There are more options for change charges aside of "just attack fist if you charged"

Pd: I'm fine with Charge goes first, it makes sense, just giving some ideas about other options.

Edited by Dragobeth