The Rumour Thread

40 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

-Kroxigors

-Salamanders (possible Razordon dual kit but not guaranteed)

-Saurus Knights

-or more of the remaining Saurus heroes

The Good Ending.

Side note, that non-Whitefang (that we know of) from a while ago explicitly said temple guard, and has successfully predicted BoC and what else was there, I forget.

Now that Whitefang hints we're not getting TG, this makes me think there's gonna be another release down the line (couple of years probably, as is GW's habit) that will also feature whatever else we don't get now from that previous list.

I also think that Whitefang's "now choose 4" comment referred to the fact that we've already seen the Lizard Wizard (aka astro bearer).

• Like 1

We still don't know if Saurus Guard are simply extra bits in the Warriors box (headswap, chest armor, extra weapons) but time will tell.

I'm hoping that seeing the Astrolith Bearer and even his rules this early could suggest that we're getting the Seraphon earlier than we thought.

Spring ends in May, and GW did confirm that Seraphon would be 'end of Spring' alongside 'redacted x4' instead of simply 'summer' which we all know is going to be 40k 10th ed at this point.

But could they be coming to us a bit sooner? 

22 minutes ago, trolemon said:

Summer starts June 21st so still a while to go

Goddamnit this release has me excited like nobody's business, and just when I thought I got out of GW's bubble.

And while I'm at it, let me just say something I never thought I'd say for an AoS army - the design cues and attention to detail have been impeccable for this release.

As a history nerd, I generally prefer my fantasy to be rooted in the real world, and having skinks who use actual spear-throwing levers (Aka atlatls) won me over like no other model did in a long time.

I also love the balance between traditional Lizardmen and more "sci-fi" elements that has been struck on the models we've seen so far, I hope it remains that way.

I wasn't a fan of the new saurus shields at first as I felt they were too on the nose, but the fact that patterns resemble those on documented and surviving Aztec shields (i.e. chimalli) is also amazing, and will hopefully look even better once their faces are painted to resemble cloth and have some feathers added.

Edited by KingKull
  • Like 1

@KingBrodd could not agree more, the Old Salamanders were by and large one of my favourite unit designs for the army. I miss that fin, if only the fin could be reworked to be functional in some way.

Really excited to see more. Hope to see some more Named Characters return Oxyotl would be cool to Join this recent batch of  Chameleons. 

• LOVE IT! 1

16 minutes ago, Molodav said:

Do we have any rumors about FEC? I know there's 2 or 3 RE that look like FEC models.

Many of those were solved by the King on Throne with Crown of Delusion.

There are still some other RE's that look like Death but whether they're Soulblight or FEC or something else is up in the air. 

So, a preposterous thought occurs. The imperial guard army box launched more than 2 before the codex. They did a preview video at an event in  which didn't show all the minis but then previewed one kit a week on Warhammer community until the pre-order of the army set. The army set came out in November which is Autumn but GW had the book down for winter in their road map. The slaves to Darkness army set also came out 2.5 months before the battletome. 

So here's my hot take. For the next 4 or 5 Mondays we are getting a Seraphon preview leading up to a pre-order of the army set in mid to late March, before any of the Spring AoS battletomes.

2.5 months later we are getting the battletome and the rest of the kits at the end of May or early June. It would explain why they are talking about Seraphon first and even showing rules already. Thoughts? 

Edited by Chikout
  • Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 5

55 minutes ago, Chikout said:

So, a preposterous thought occurs. The imperial guard army box launched more than 2 before the codex. They did a preview video at an event in  which didn't show all the minis but then previewed one kit a week on Warhammer community until the pre-order of the army set. The army set came out in November which is Autumn but GW had the book down for winter in their road map. The slaves to Darkness army set also came out 2.5 months before the battletome. 

So here's my hot take. For the next 4 or 5 Mondays we are getting a Seraphon preview leading up to a pre-order of the army set in mid to late March, before any of the Spring AoS battletomes.

2.5 months later we are getting the battletome and the rest of the kits at the end of May or early June. It would explain why they are talking about Seraphon first and even showing rules already. Thoughts? 

Honestly that makes perfect sense. GW have done it before, in fact multiple times with the collector's edition book inside the army box (Sisters of Battle, Votann, Imperial Guard, Slaves to Darkness, just off the top of my head) so... yeah. Army box could very much be the 3 first model kits we saw, Slann, Warriors, Raptadons, special edition battletome, with everything else coming out 1-2 months later, right there at early-mid June. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

...On the topic of Salamanders I hopw they go back to the Dimetrodon design they used to have and give us a howdah on top ala Dino Riders!!...

Science-aside: while having been cemented in pop-culture as one of the most recognisable prehistoric animals (alongside T-Rex, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Pterodactyl,* etc), Dimetrodon were not dinosaurs. They were not even sauropsids, but synapsids (ie stem mammals).

*Pterodactyl were also not dinosaurs, but pterosaurs, which were at least more closely related to dinosaurs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

The second I saw the post I came to TGA knowing you'd be hyped over it. Congrats my friend, genuinely happy to know you'll be enjoying the skeletal hordes of Settra at some point!

16 hours ago, Chikout said:

May we all soon have our preferred armies updated @Public Universal Duardin, until then keep thy dreams of chorfs close to heart….. and pick up as many Horns of Hashut and Hobgrots kits as you can in preparation of the days to come….

10 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

OBR have some similarities to Tomb Kings, but are still very different in their overall aesthetics, lore and feel. Most importantly to me, Tomb Kings have this mood of fallen splenour and long-lost glories, while OBR are Nagash's new ideal for Death. Because of this, they really don't resonate with me in the same way. But the differences between them have also lead to collect both, so it's not like I dislike what either faction is doing.

The Tomb Kings are Ancient Egyptian history+Mythology viewed through the eyes of a Death Metal band, and are therefore amazing. The OBR, while trying to capture that look, skew more towards Ancient Persia, Greece, and Japan aesthetically, and lack the cool and complex characters necessary to make an undead faction more then just Saturday Morning villains. 

12 hours ago, MitGas said:

Hmmm, that's a damn good argument actually! 🙌

I’ve learned from the best, @MitGas, though honestly I might just change it to “Loyal Son of Nehekhara,” since I’m probably gonna end up playing as Lybaras for their color scheme.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

The OBR, while trying to capture that look, skew more towards Ancient Persia, Greece, and Japan aesthetically, and lack the cool and complex characters necessary to make an undead faction more then just Saturday Morning villains. 

Not familiar with Tomb Kings characters, but how complex are they? What I'm missing? What's the deal of the Tomb Kings appart from being a mummy cliché made from the Mummy (1999)?  Btw, nothing wrong with that because it's awesome.

I don't want to criticize Settra, but I always seen him as a meme with his "I don't kneel" (End Times) and his whole character progression since he wakes up as a Mummy. I've only found a short story about him killing Chaos Dudes to take back some jewels, but it's part of a White Dwarf I think, so not even "implemented" in his main narrative.

• Thanks 2

So, a small thing to note. 

The Kharadron Overlords, Hedonites of Slaanesh, and Blades of Khorne battletomes are all gone from the GW website.

Now, we already knew that Slaanesh and Khorne were the last 2 Chaos tomes to be updated through the spring, and Kharadron Overlords was the only Order tome to be updated aside from Seraphon (end of Spring) and Cities of Sigmar (likely replaced by Dawnbringer Crusades).

Flesh Eater Courts, Ossiarch Bonereapers, and Soulblight Gravelords are still available. 

Wouldn't surprise me if GW removed the 2 chaos and 1 order tome because the cat's out of the bag and those books should be coming very shortly. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Twisted Firaun said:

The Tomb Kings are Ancient Egyptian history+Mythology viewed through the eyes of a Death Metal band, and are therefore amazing. The OBR, while trying to capture that look, skew more towards Ancient Persia, Greece, and Japan aesthetically, and lack the cool and complex characters necessary to make an undead faction more then just Saturday Morning villains. 

I think OBR fail if you view them as a replacement for Tomb Kings. I certainly had that perspective for a while, and it is why I didn't warm up to them initially. I think their themes and design are just too different to fill the same niche for most people.

However, I have come to like OBR a lot on their own terms since then, especially after using them as the antagonists in a Soulbound campaign I ran. And I think you are underselling them. They have a lot of fun moments of characterization, like Katakros dying and finding himself in an afterlife of hard work, and getting so angry about the neighbouring underworld whose inhabitants believed in an afterlife of luxury that he conquers it while still in spirit form. Or the fact that Mortek soldiers know they are disposable and make little pacts to collect their parts and rebuild each other if they get destroyed in battle. Or the fact that in Nagash's ideal society, you get built to do a job, like wheel-turner on a Mortek Crawler or Mortisan, and there is no way to rise through the ranks. What is possible, however, is getting demoted if Nagash doesn't like how you do your job.

There is depth to OBR if you look, and they are a lot more than the emotionless skeleton robots they appear to be at first glance.

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 2

3 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I think OBR fail if you view them as a replacement for Tomb Kings. I certainly had that perspective for a while, and it is why I didn't warm up to them initially. I think their themes and design are just too different to fill the same niche for most people.

However, I have come to like OBR a lot on their own terms since then, especially after using them as the antagonists in a Soulbound campaign I ran. And I think you are underselling them. They have a lot of fun moments of characterization, like Katakros dying and finding himself in an afterlife of hard work, and getting so angry about the neighbouring underworld whose inhabitants believed in an afterlife of luxury that he conquers it while still in spirit form. Or the fact that Mortek soldiers know they are disposable and make little pacts to collect their parts and rebuild each other if they get destroyed in battle. Or the fact that in Nagash's ideal society, you get built to do a job, like wheel-turner on a Mortek Crawler or Mortisan, and there is no way to rise through the ranks. What is possible, however, is getting demoted if Nagash doesn't like how you do your job.

There is depth to OBR if you look, and they are a lot more than the emotionless skeleton robots they appear to be at first glance.

There's a lot more than that even. The living chess games they play, Katakros' strategic prowess, the Crematorians trying to 'cure' themselves of their explosion upon death that Nagash inflicted them with while at the same time trying not to disobey him. Their personalities kind of depending on which bones from which realms they are made from. The entire interactions they have with other factions via the Bone Tithe. I honestly find them the most interesting Death faction by far alongside the Nighthaunt. Flesh Eater Courts delusion is amazing, but it's so unrepresented in their models.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

Not familiar with Tomb Kings characters, but how complex are they? What I'm missing? What's the deal of the Tomb Kings appart from being a mummy cliché made from the Mummy (1999)?  Btw, nothing wrong with that because it's awesome.

You are not missing anything. A long time ago GW decided to split the Undead army into Vampire Counts (aka the European, Dracula style flavour) and the Tomb Kings (aka the Middle-East, Mummy style flavour). Neither of them really served Nagash, but the Tomb Kings' thing was that they actively opposed him. Moreover, while the VC design was more traditional (zombies, necromancers, wolves, bats, wights), the TK used some standard kits (skeletons, skeleton cavalry, skeleton chariots) but also explored some new, fun directions (bone constructs, animated statues, scorpions). That was cool, I admit.

Now, the similar thing happened in the AoS, as the Legions of Nagash were split into: vampire army (this time with a bit more bestial and East Europe taste), ghost army, savage flesh-eaters and the OBR. The OBR are, in this perspective, a well organised, bone-themed army with some Middle-East vibe (though not nearly as strong as TK) that utilises bone constructs, is maintained by a special priest caste (Mortisans) and is led by a strong-willed genius level strategist, who is totally not Settra.

Are they different from TK? Yes, of course. But I would argue with Neil Arthur Hotep on the conclusion - I think that for most people their themes and design are too similar for both factions to exist in AoS. There are some armies form the WFB that were made into something very different (Wood Elves, Dwarfs, Dark Elves) and there is still a lot of space to build on original design. But the Tomb Kings and the High Elves are a different beasts and I believe there is no coming back here.

• Like 5