The Rumour Thread

35 minutes ago, Snarff said:

I just hope ToW won't bring down the AoS aesthetic. I love the wacky, over the top, super high fantasy vibes that AoS brings, and I'm afraid they'll diminish that just to pull in more Oldworld players. Or that there are going to be kits designed for both systems that won't fit AoS due to their more toned-down historical looks rather than Fish Aelves, Fire/Sky Duardin, etc.

The stuck in the past oldworld players are also not usually the nicest or progressive folks from what I've experienced.

Looks at Soulblight Gravelords, which outside of the Vengorian Lord is literally just updated sculpts for Vampire Counts. Aaaand the refresh of StD, which is also just classic Warriors of Chaos.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Snarff said:

I just hope ToW won't bring down the AoS aesthetic. I love the wacky, over the top, super high fantasy vibes that AoS brings, and I'm afraid they'll diminish that just to pull in more Oldworld players. Or that there are going to be kits designed for both systems that won't fit AoS due to their more toned-down historical looks rather than Fish Aelves, Fire/Sky Duardin, etc.

The stuck in the past oldworld players are also not usually the nicest or progressive folks from what I've experienced.

Those stuck in the past old world players you speak about probably won't buy anything anyway. I left a couple of old world groups on Facebook because they were brought down by a small but very vocal toxic group who spout constant negativity. 

There are a lot more of us old guard who can't wait for TOW to be released but I still love AoS exactly for its wacky high fantasy models and setting. 

To think I'm going to get new warhammer fantasy and AoS is going from strength to strength, I'm going to be spoilt. And broke! Lol

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Goatforce said:

Looks at Soulblight Gravelords, which outside of the Vengorian Lord is literally just updated sculpts for Vampire Counts. Aaaand the refresh of StD, which is also just classic Warriors of Chaos.

That's exactly one of the lines I mean that don't really fit AoS besides the Vyrkos and Vengorian Lord.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Grungnisson said:

As in... more than the Freeguild models? 

As in the successors to the old empire sculpts being just empire 2.0 instead of actually showing the mixed races of Freeguild using specific weapons from their realms, as they are described in the lore.

That wouldn't do well for cross-compatibility, so we'll probably get very mundane and basic human only units again.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Square bases will straight up not work for most of the newer AoS stuff so that might be a problem down the road if your wanting to use AoS stuff for Old World

I have said this before, but I'll say it again:

I don't believe AoS model lines have been designed with dual use for TOW in mind. It just does not seem like the AoS guys care about what would work for TOW at all, neither from a lore perspective nor thinking about constraints like having to fit on square bases. The Lumineth release is a big indication of that, in my opinion, because there was a chance to just make them refreshed High Elves, and the AoS team opted for a complete redesign instead. Instead, AoS Teclis is fundamentally incompatible with TOW. Neither is AoS Eltharion. None of the troop design makes sense for the old world, and half of the Lumineth troops have no High Elf equivalent.

We will have to see what the Cities release brings, but I kind of get the feeling right now that they will be different enough from the old Empire that they won't easily fit into TOW. If anything, I think there is a better chance that TOW models will get AoS rules. Because the Mortal Realms have world building that is a lot more open, and anything from the old world could potentially exist there (maybe with the serial numbers filed off).

To be honest, I don't put a lot of stock into this vision of the game where GW somehow manages to bring back all of Fantasy at once, with support for all the old factions including any discontinued ones, plus Kislev and Cathay. I think it is a lot more likely that we see a limited number of factions at the start, with more slowly getting added later. That way, there is no need to think about dual use with AoS, they could just slowly keep adding bespoke TOW model ranges over time as they add new faction rules.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

...we’ve also ‘eard da Gitmobs got bored of chasin’ pointy ears round Hysh. Those weirdos worship Glareface Frazzlegit, da bogeyman of burnin’ and blindin’.*** We’ve called a truce for now, ‘cause dey ‘ate ’umies, and lizards, and spikey ’umies just as much as we do...

AHhhjjjjjhhhh! The Gitmob stills Alive!

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, Flippy said:

Da Grimscuttle are a bunch of spider bovverers over in Shyish. They’re up to some right nasty stuff involvin’ Arachnaroks. Last I ‘eard, one of their stalktribes fed a whole coven of bloodsuckers to a big spider called Boss Seven-Eyes

rumor-engine-09-13-2022.jpg

🤔 Update sprue incoming?...

53 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

I wasn't expecting gitz stuff so soon, this probably means they're announced for preorder on sunday right?

Last year those kind of articles were release 3 weeks before the preorder announcement. I wouldn't expect it this week, but at the start of the next month looks pretty likely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I have said this before, but I'll say it again:

I don't believe AoS model lines have been designed with dual use for TOW in mind. It just does not seem like the AoS guys care about what would work for TOW at all, neither from a lore perspective nor thinking about constraints like having to fit on square bases. The Lumineth release is a big indication of that, in my opinion, because there was a chance to just make them refreshed High Elves, and the AoS team opted for a complete redesign instead. Instead, AoS Teclis is fundamentally incompatible with TOW. Neither is AoS Eltharion. None of the troop design makes sense for the old world, and half of the Lumineth troops have no High Elf equivalent.

We will have to see what the Cities release brings, but I kind of get the feeling right now that they will be different enough from the old Empire that they won't easily fit into TOW. If anything, I think there is a better chance that TOW models will get AoS rules. Because the Mortal Realms have world building that is a lot more open, and anything from the old world could potentially exist there (maybe with the serial numbers filed off).

To be honest, I don't put a lot of stock into this vision of the game where GW somehow manages to bring back all of Fantasy at once, with support for all the old factions including any discontinued ones, plus Kislev and Cathay. I think it is a lot more likely that we see a limited number of factions at the start, with more slowly getting added later. That way, there is no need to think about dual use with AoS, they could just slowly keep adding bespoke TOW model ranges over time as they add new faction rules.

Honestly I initially got hyped for TOW due to the chance to pick up Tomb Kings for a reasonable price. I have no real connection to Warhammer Fantasy beyond the mummies since I got into the hobby late 2016. So if TOW brings back the molds for the majority of the 8th edition Tomb Kings models, I'll be pretty happy. 

In regards to Kislev and Grand Cathay.... it honestly depends on how much Total War Warhammer affects the hobby. We know that Cathay apparently has an 8th edition(!) army book ready to go due to an interview with Andy Hall from before TWW 3 dropped, but what's in that book? Do we just get the initial roster from the game? or will we see stuff like the Monkey King and his followers as well? I'm picking up Kislev regardless because they have  Slavic/Mongolian bear calvary, and that's awesome. But who will lead Kislev? since all the named characters from Total War are from the "present" time period. Time will tell, but GW better make the majority of these kits in plastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snarff said:

That's exactly one of the lines I mean that don't really fit AoS besides the Vyrkos and Vengorian Lord.

Each to their own I guess. But not sure why you would think that. Contrast is always desireable, the fact that some more grounded races exist highlights the more out there stuff, without which it would just become the norm and lose at least some of what makes it stand out.

Also seems odd to claim that classic fantasy races like gothic undead don't fit in a fantasy game, just because the fantasy game tends to be more out there. And claiming that Warriors of Chaos don't fit in a Warhammer fantasy game is just a complete headscratcher, as they are one of the most iconic things in the setting, even now.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Flippy said:

Da Grimscuttle are a bunch of spider bovverers over in Shyish. They’re up to some right nasty stuff involvin’ Arachnaroks. Last I ‘eard, one of their stalktribes fed a whole coven of bloodsuckers to a big spider called Boss Seven-Eyes

rumor-engine-09-13-2022.jpg

Whitefang  hinted a while ago that it should be a new incarnate if I remember right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twisted Firaun said:

In regards to Kislev and Grand Cathay.... it honestly depends on how much Total War Warhammer affects the hobby. We know that Cathay apparently has an 8th edition(!) army book ready to go due to an interview with Andy Hall from before TWW 3 dropped, but what's in that book?

I had the feeling that it wasn't a book, but a prototipe for CA to "translate" Cathay to Total War using the same steps as any other army.

12 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Awesome article. Love the way it reframes the siege of Excelsis by saying "oh no, Skragrott tooootally did all that on purpose."

Interesting note, they seem to frame "Da Kings Gitz" in a similar way as Glogg's Megamob, Grimskuttle Tribe, and the Jaws of Mork. I wonder if "Da King's Gitz" is gonna be a new subfaction to buff Moonclan on foot? Since Jaws is for Squigs, Grimskuttle is Spiders, and Glogg is for Troggs, but there's no subfaction for normal grots.

Unless we see more Wolf Rider rumors, I'm gonna guess Gitmob is just gonna be the one separate unit that doesn't really synergize with the rest of the book's rules. Like Hobgrots in Kruleboyz.

Edited by dirkdragonslayer
  • Like 3

I'm not a BoC or Gitz player, but this new lore-blurbs are a bit diferent from old ones.

They usually talk about the star-players (aka, Gods and named characters with models), and anything new like subfactions, maybe a big event (aka, last campaign) and that's all. 

This last two entrance added more things, like new characters that I'm not familiar with: Ghorraghan Khai, Uzkhad Shatterhoof, Da Overbounder, Boss Seven-eyes or the Trolls subfaction boss, Glogg.

Glad to see all this names, that means that they are not footnotes in the middle of the battletome, but players in the grand scheme. And that's exactly what I want: names, formations, regiments of renown, believable subfactions, etc... no more faceless people.

After my second read, I'm really happy about this two WarCom entrances, just hope that the rules are flavourful enough for everybody.

• Like 9
  • LOVE IT! 1