The Rumour Thread

13 minutes ago, Indecisive said:

the rumour windmill gulf is just amazing, crickets on the aos front while 40k has had a dripfeed of eldar leaks since december for a codex that hasn't even been announced yet

I feel like this just adds fuel to the fire/theory that gw are priorising 40K over AoS due the effects of covid messing up shipping/schedules that someone’s just gone “****** it, let’s just focus on the higher selling items until this is under control, and we’ll chuck something out to AoS if the stars align”

• Like 1

Got to meet the 10th edition deadline I guess.

honestly I don’t think there is a LVO preview this year unless I am missing some thing that already announce. Best is probably an online preview

side note someone should probably make an AoS general thread or MOD should just change this thread into the General thread or this is going to keep happening, my two cents of thought Yo

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CeleFAZE said:

If I had to guess, I'd say we'll probably see Tau reveals at LVO more than anything AoS. I'd love to be surprised with a BoC announcement, though. Since they haven't had a WD rules update yet it's not unlikely that there could be something in the works.

BoC are the february tome celestial, hopefully it means they're getting a proper line refresh near the middle/end of the edition.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

BoC are the february tome celestial, hopefully it means they're getting a proper line refresh near the middle/end of the edition.

I think the contrary might be true; Soulblight Gravelords got a Tome Celestial just recently, and I think no one expects anything for them in the nearish future...

Though, on the other hand Ossiarch Bonereapers also just got a White Dwarf treatment, and I'd deem their chances for at least a new battletome + maybe rge rumoured archers quite decent.  But take that with a truck load of salt as well, because Archers would probably be battleline, and we know that GW don't make those anymore.

7 hours ago, CeleFAZE said:

If I had to guess, I'd say we'll probably see Tau reveals at LVO more than anything AoS. I'd love to be surprised with a BoC announcement, though. Since they haven't had a WD rules update yet it's not unlikely that there could be something in the works.

There’s nothing left to reveal for Tau. 

While we are waiting for some AOS news why not try out the Path to Glory rules?

These might not be for everyone but The rules team sure put a lot of work into making narrative gaming much more appealing than ever before. My
local group just put all of our focus into PtG and it was just what we needed to get back to really enjoying every aspect of the hobby. From painting, converting, playing to storywriting. 
Now we are going through all of the recent WDs just to search for extra stuff to add to our campaign. 
So heres to hoping that PtG and narrative will become a bigger part of AOS than it used to, with expansions and a streamlined rule set. 

• Like 15

58 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

I think the contrary might be true; Soulblight Gravelords got a Tome Celestial just recently, and I think no one expects anything for them in the nearish future...

Though, on the other hand Ossiarch Bonereapers also just got a White Dwarf treatment, and I'd deem their chances for at least a new battletome + maybe rge rumoured archers quite decent.  But take that with a truck load of salt as well, because Archers would probably be battleline, and we know that GW don't make those anymore.

I think this is simply more proof that the Tome Celestial has no bearing on when an army's tome will be released but rather the designer's focus on armies that need to be brought into line for 3.0. I honestly feel that Sons of Behemat and Slaves To Darkness got such early focus as they needed some updates while also being fairly simple to bring up to speed. Ossiarch Bonereapers were likely a priority but needed to have a little more work on developing the rules. 

So I am not personally holding my breath for any army not yet featured getting a tome before any of those currently featured in the Tome Celestial. 😄

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I think this is simply more proof that the Tome Celestial has no bearing on when an army's tome will be released but rather the designer's focus on armies that need to be brought into line for 3.0. I honestly feel that Sons of Behemat and Slaves To Darkness got such early focus as they needed some updates while also being fairly simple to bring up to speed. Ossiarch Bonereapers were likely a priority but needed to have a little more work on developing the rules. 

So I am not personally holding my breath for any army not yet featured getting a tome before any of those currently featured in the Tome Celestial. 😄

Reasonable. But Nighthaunt to my knowledge didn't receive a Tome Celestial up until now and are very lilely to get a new tome plus accompanying one new model released. 

I personally would also expect Sylvaneth to get a new proper tome instead of a Tome Celestial soonish, because the last thing they need is having their rules even more scattered across several books and online documents. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

Reasonable. But Nighthaunt to my knowledge didn't receive a Tome Celestial up until now and are very lilely to get a new tome plus accompanying one new model released. 

I personally would also expect Sylvaneth to get a new proper tome instead of a Tome Celestial soonish, because the last thing they need is having their rules even more scattered across several books and online documents. 

Couldn't agree more, keeping track of the Sylvaneth rules is a nightmare at the moment, I'm starting a PtG campaign with them soon so a new tome coming would be a godsend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Mid-edition is over a year away. I totally expect Tome Celestial armies to start getting stuff again by that time. Just not right now.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

Imho Tome celestial are also used as "flow of new content and adjustment"....so i don't think having one will means that the army will not get a new battletome in the edition.

Right. It doesn't mean "no tome" necessarily, but at the same time it almost definitely doesn't mean "tome coming soon". If an army is getting a book in the near future there's no need to update them in White Dwarf, and indeed none of the armies that we are expecting tomes for in at least the first half of this year have gotten Tome Celestial updates.

5 hours ago, Maogrim said:

Its more that we shouldn't expect a battletome for any of the armies getting white dwarf rules anytime soon, I'm not sure they explicitly said as much but they definitely implied it. I'm not saying the white dwarf means we won't see an obr expansion(as an example) during 3rd edition, but that we won't see it until at least 2023.

Some of them make a lot of sense, since they were late 3.0 tomes, but BoC sticks out as one of the oldest tomes and one in direst need of an update. If BoC was just getting a tome + single hero kit (like nurgle) there wouldn't be much justification to kick the release back into mid-late 3.0. Having a significant model release alongside the book would be good justification though.

For a bit of wild speculation in the rumor thread I think the WD rules releases point to a skaven or ogor refresh in the near future (my moneys on skaven by the end of the year unless we get a completely new faction instead)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Tome Celestial to me just reads as 'This Faction needs these rules sooner than their Tome is arriving.'

True, although I don't think Soulblight Gravelords 'needed' anything, except maybe Black Riders being more viable. As far as I understood everyone was pretty happy with their battletome.

3 hours ago, Maogrim said:

We've already seen the preview for the NH model in the new years teaser, which implies its coming in the next couple months so probably right after idk/dwarves.

8 minutes ago, Maogrim said:

True, although I don't think Soulblight Gravelords 'needed' anything, except maybe Black Riders being more viable. As far as I understood everyone was pretty happy with their battletome.

Well, there's different reasons to do Tome Celestial updates for different armies. For SBGL, literally the last army to get a battletome before 3rd edition launched, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they didn't get a 3rd edition tome. Probably also SoB unless they have new models coming soon, there's just not really anything a new book could cover that their first tome+TC update hasn't.

Also agreed with an earlier poster that BoC getting a Tome Celestial is more interesting because they're one of the oldest books in the game. If they're being put off, it really makes me think they might be getting models.

Edited by madmac
  • Like 1

GW work... strangely, or should I say inconsistently. I don't think Tome Celestial is necessarily indicative of a Battletome not coming for a while.

If you said "Lumineth will get their second Battletome in eight months" in June 2020 you'd probably have been laughed out of the thread.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

Its more that we shouldn't expect a battletome for any of the armies getting white dwarf rules anytime soon, I'm not sure they explicitly said as much but they definitely implied it. I'm not saying the white dwarf means we won't see an obr expansion(as an example) during 3rd edition, but that we won't see it until at least 2023.

Some of them make a lot of sense, since they were late 3.0 tomes, but BoC sticks out as one of the oldest tomes and one in direst need of an update. If BoC was just getting a tome + single hero kit (like nurgle) there wouldn't be much justification to kick the release back into mid-late 3.0. Having a significant model release alongside the book would be good justification though.

For a bit of wild speculation in the rumor thread I think the WD rules releases point to a skaven or ogor refresh in the near future (my moneys on skaven by the end of the year unless we get a completely new faction instead)

Skaven and Ogor refresh for 2022!! Era of the Beast!!

1 hour ago, madmac said:

Well, there's different reasons to do Tome Celestial updates for different armies. For SBGL, literally the last army to get a battletome before 3rd edition launched, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they didn't get a 3rd edition tome. Probably also SoB unless they have new models coming soon, there's just not really anything a new book could cover that their first tome+TC update hasn't.

Also agreed with an earlier poster that BoC getting a Tome Celestial is more interesting because they're one of the oldest books in the game. If they're being put off, it really makes me think they might be getting models.

I agree on SOB. I doubt theyll get a 3.0 Tome and if they were to get any new models I'd see them just doing an updated Mancrusher, which could even be introduced through Warcry or Underworlds.

56 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

GW work... strangely, or should I say inconsistently. I don't think Tome Celestial is necessarily indicative of a Battletome not coming for a while.

If you said "Lumineth will get their second Battletome in eight months" in June 2020 you'd probably have been laughed out of the thread.

True.

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

And we are going to get a new tome in 2022 xD

What a mess gw did with this faction.

Edited by Ragest

You know, thinking about today's Pre-order announcement (Probably Tau) made me realize, there's actually not a single unleased announcement/preview out there for AoS right now...

That is to say, they haven't announced a single battletome yet. They haven't fully shown off (I don't count the New Year teaser for this) a single upcoming miniature release. The next underworlds release isn't until Q2. There's no word at all on warcry, not that there ever is. Surely there must be some kind of preview coming soon?

Edited by madmac
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Tome Celestial to me just reads as 'This Faction needs these rules sooner than their Tome is arriving.'

Wow that was so much more succinct than I could have ever managed. Kudos!

2 hours ago, Maogrim said:

But they needed it more than almost any other faction as they had no current Battalions, Grand Strategies, Battle Tactics or Path to Glory rules. They needed very little but it brought them into a complete 3.0 tome. In other words just because they were in a good matched play/competitive place doesn't mean that they didn't need updates to other styles of play. I am just surprised that they haven't rushed out Lumineth, Slaanesh and Daughters of Khaine for the same reasons.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1