The Rumour Thread

Feeling very "whelmed" by the reveal. I like the look of the new masked Fyreslayers hero, I don't dislike the IDK hero, but really I'm not a fan of either army so the box was never for me.

I do feel like this isn't what those armies need from a purely external, "concept and aesthetic"-based  standpoint. My issue with Fyreslayers is the lack of visual variety and this doesn't solve that, and while I think IDK feel a little more "complete" in that area I don't see how their new hero expands or fills any aesthetic void in the army. Meh for me as someone who isn't a fan of theirs, and it looks like it'll be meh for many who are.

Not the end of the world for me, might be a nice box for many, though I'm hoping the next AOS news won't take too long to come and will feel less lacking in content.

• Like 1

I meanI really like the Fyreslayer model, I'm just not sure what he brings visually or will bring from a gameplay PoV that gives Fyreslayers the kick up the backside that they really need. I do actually kind of like Fyreslayers but this definitely isn't enough of a push to get me to take the plunge... any new book is going to have to do some heavy lifting to make them really engaging I think.

That IDK model though... I just really, really don't like it. His eel friend in particular looks very derpy. Seems like he'll be focused on buffing Namarti which might end up interesting or totally useless... we'll see.

Hopefully we see a couple of new units for both these factions as well but I'm very much not expecting to see that.

13 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

Also it wouldn't be a surprise for the box to cost more than others before as there are quite a lot of models in it.

Fury of the Deep has 230€ of models not counting the two new characters compared to the latest Vs-Boxset Shadow Throne which had 163€ of models not counting the two new characters. That one was very light on models but even compared to the one before Piety and Pain had 183.5€ of models not counting the new characters.

So either they are giving us a bigger discount or it will have a bigger price tag

It probably the usual 33% ish discount off the total MSRP of models inside. Assuming that the hero cost is the standard 22.50€ each it probably about the same price as a battleforce or even slightly more

Good minis, particularly in how they double down on the masked/cultic/ritualistic side of the Fyreslayers (even if this guy could largely be proxied already, if in a slightly less creepy way), but fundamentally doesn’t address the faction’s deep seated issues.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

I meanI really like the Fyreslayer model, I'm just not sure what he brings visually or will bring from a gameplay PoV that gives Fyreslayers the kick up the backside that they really need. I do actually kind of like Fyreslayers but this definitely isn't enough of a push to get me to take the plunge... any new book is going to have to do some heavy lifting to make them really engaging I think.

That IDK model though... I just really, really don't like it. His eel friend in particular looks very derpy. Seems like he'll be focused on buffing Namarti which might end up interesting or totally useless... we'll see.

Hopefully we see a couple of new units for both these factions as well but I'm very much not expecting to see that.

As someone who plays both armies it's literally IDKs 3rd foot hero who buffs infantry only, and Fyreslayers 3rd Priest on foot. Even if they have good rules players of either army could literally just use one of their several redundant hero models as a proxy.

• Like 2

This box is garbage.   The 2 heroes are lazy design.   I could make a cooler looking foot akhelian from my bits box.   I had been waiting for endless spells, lost that because it took so long to get to deepkin, they are not doing that anymore.

My pocket book is safe, which means poor sales of this will make deepkin getting new stuff even less likely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The article gives some fluff that should hint at their ability.

The Thrallmaster shifts stances to effortlessly counter whichever opponent he faces, instructing his Namarti followers to follow suit.

Probably gives one of two or more buff options that you choose to Thralls units (Ossiarch stalkers also have a stance ability, probably is similar in how it works).

Armed with a brazier axe, the solemn Flamekeepers are responsible for removing the ur-gold runes of fallen warriors. They can harness the power of lifeless runes to bestow blessings upon their fellow duardin, all the while bellowing litanies from beneath their grim death masks.

Probably give some kind of effect when a nearby unit die or when you use one of the runes for the turn? Also is a priest.

3 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Good minis, particularly in how they double down on the masked/cultic/ritualistic side of the Fyreslayers (even if this guy could largely be proxied already, if in a slightly less creepy way), but fundamentally doesn’t address the faction’s deep seated issues.

I understand Fyreslayer but I don’t know if Deepkin have the same issues with their model ranges. I would feel a new book would address their old problems of Eel spam and Namarti being bad

• Like 2

I really like this box which is dangerous. The new Fyreslayer is fantastic, might be my favourite model in the entire range and I think the Deepkin one just needs a different paint job. The extra models are really good as well and combo well with the Start Collecting boxes without too much duplication.

I'm dangerously tempted to pull the trigger on this one and grab the two start collecting boxes before they get replaced

An unarmored Soulrender and a masked naked dwarf ought to solve those ranges. 

I also love how they announced a new space marine foot model on the same day because all 3 of these factions are definitely equally in need of attention and space marine player would... get upset? If someone gets a new toy and they dont? Like geez GW even I dont think that poorly of your poster fans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, novakai said:

I understand Fyreslayer but I don’t know if Deepkin have the same issues with their model ranges. I would feel a new book would address their old problems of Eel spam and Namarti being bad

Honestly, even though they are now the oldest battletome, Deepkin have great rules to this day. After Broken Realms they have at least niche builds for basically every unit, aside from some, cough redundant infantry buffing foot heroes cough that almost never see play.

I actually worry a bit that a new battletome will make them worse/less fun somehow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EonChao said:

I really like this box which is dangerous. The new Fyreslayer is fantastic, might be my favourite model in the entire range and I think the Deepkin one just needs a different paint job. The extra models are really good as well and combo well with the Start Collecting boxes without too much duplication.

I'm dangerously tempted to pull the trigger on this one and grab the two start collecting boxes before they get replaced

You might as well grab the Fyreslayer SC now, since it seems unlikely they'll do much more than throw a Hearthguard box and maybe a Hero blister in when the Vanguard inevitably replaces it and trims some of the savings.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

1 minute ago, EonChao said:

That's a good shout actually, especially the Fyreslayers one