The Rumour Thread

4 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, all the Chorf rumours coming out the same time Hobgrot lore talked about about them just feels like people were making educated guesses and trying to fulfil wishes based on there suddenly being Chaos Dwarf references that're more than a throwaway location on a map.

Similar to how all the "Dawnbringer Crusaders will be CoS 2.0!!!" faux-rumours started only after GW started putting out lore for them. If we'd seen any rumours/leaks emerge before the Dominion/3.0 lore reveals I'd put a lot more stock in them.

The closest thing to reliable we have is what Grimdark Live said, but their reliability - or at least, their 'leaker' - has been called into question by the Hobgrot cavalry claim, so right now I'm erring on the side of their claim that Chorfs are coming being in the educated guess category, same as the Dawnbringer/Malerion rumours. Also Grimdark Live's leaks came out, what, a week before Dominion was revealed anyway? Which does suggest it was more a grunt-on-the-ground who spied the contents than somebody well embedded like the big 40k leaker. 

I still think Chaos Dwarfs will happen eventually - it's an obvious avenue to take in regards to fleshing out Chaos and appealing to nostalgia/memes that GW loves to do these days - but just like 'rumours' have been saying saying Malerion is just around the corner for the last four years I don't think we need to wipe the dust off the Chorf Plastics Savings Account just yet. 

What's in the rumour? C'mon...what's in the rumour?

Polish_20211012_153152735.jpg.f82477b02ccdb304c632d3f6dbbca57d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

37 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Definitely Nighthaunt!! I could see Deaths first Battletome being Nighthaunt for sure. Maybe a terrain piece in the form of a Ghost Ship perhaps?

I would love to start a Nautical Nighthaunt army! I would have to clip the graves from the bases and try and make the base look like frozen water. I would buy a gloomtide shipwreck convert into a black coach and run Lauchon the Soulseeker as a knight of shrouds and have the new Ship be the centre piece. The only issue is that it would be more expense than I can cover in the foreseeable future and I would probably forgo cavalry which will likely be attached to the Start Collecting set. Particularly as GW loves to toss Hexwraiths into boxes and the mounted Knight of Shrouds is still not available on its own.  

Also it is strange that we have a better guess at the next death tome and no idea what is next for Chaos.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Definitely something from a ship. I'm wondering if this ship might be a reference to Charon the Ferryman? I get Launchon already fits that, but it's hard not to see Nighthaunt ferrying souls down a river ("river"?) in an eerie boat.

I'd be into it. I think it might be some kind of Guardian of Souls on Ghost Ship mini. That would give Nighthaunt the high-wound hero they so desperately need. However, if they get a new tome, they might get general updates to their game mechanics that would bring them more in line with the current standard, such as better access to additional generals (or a decoupling of their allegiance abilities from the general role) and a rework of ethereal that lets them buff saves. In that case, not having a high-wound model to run as general would be less of an issue.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I'd be into it. I think it might be some kind of Guardian of Souls on Ghost Ship mini. That would give Nighthaunt the high-wound hero they so desperately need. However, if they get a new tome, they might get general updates to their game mechanics that would bring them more in line with the current standard, such as better access to additional generals (or a decoupling of their allegiance abilities from the general role) and a rework of ethereal that lets them buff saves. In that case, not having a high-wound model to run as general would be less of an issue.

Maybe I am way off on this guess but I can imagine Ethereal becoming a ward and replacing deathless spirits. It would also be cool if they ignored save modifiers (such as all out defense) to showcase their ghostly weapons passing through raised shields and the like. Wave of Terror should activate on the charge roll being higher than enemy bravery. Feed on terror, Aura of Dread, Spectral Summons and From the Underworld They Come can all remain the same. I don't know maybe everything I wrote would make them too powerful but I would like Nighthaunt to at least have rules to match their awesome models. 

In essence they would be a well rounded army with terrible saves but a decent army wide ward protection that placed emphasis on manipulating enemy bravery.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Maybe I am way off on this guess but I can imagine Ethereal becoming a ward and replacing deathless spirits. It would also be cool if they ignored save modifiers (such as all out defense) to showcase their ghostly weapons passing through raised shields and the like.

Nighthaun could absolutely be fine with an army wide 5+ ward. Or they could just get a version of Ethereal that allows them to buff saves by +1 like everyone else while still being immune to rend. Every army in the game can currently effectively make one unit a turn immune to rend at +1 to saves. Nighthaunt would just be able to do it to three at once (Mystic Shield, All-Out Defense and Finest Hour), which at a max of 3+ would probably still be fine.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

It would also be cool if they ignored save modifiers (such as all out defense) to showcase their ghostly weapons passing through raised shields and the like.

I always imagined they where ghosts (so can't rend them) but that they are (magically) carrying physical weapons (so shields and armour, etc, should work). At least that's how I painted them!

35 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

Isnt the 95 dollar harrowdeep cost way higher than direchasm? Dont know how much it will be compared to euros.

Yeah if the rumours are true, this is really brutal, even by GW's awful standards.

• Shadespire £40
  • Nightvault £40
  • Beastgrave £45
  • Direchasm £50
  • Harrowdeep £65

A 60% price rise since the game's start only five years ago, a bigger jump than the creep we've seen over the last two seasons. It's supposed to have more cards but that's hardly an excuse. Almost worse that this increase is coming after Direchasm as a season was substantially undercut by covid, meaning games were rather more limited.

I mean damn. You think you get acclimatised to ludicrous price gouging and then GW surprises you with a left hook. I've talked up WHU as a great game, and it is, but... this is me priced out of the main sets and getting new teams. The warbands had already crept up quite a bit in price, from £17.50 to £25, which may well go up further.

It's really disappointing, I got into WHU in a large part because I'd been firmly priced out of AoS/40k and was glad to find what it still one of the best-designed games they've ever made. It's still cheaper than the mainline mass battle stuff but hardly the easy entry point/low cost competitive game it started as. Kind of characteristic of the decisions of the last two-ish years seemingly reversing many of the gains that were heralded as 'nu-GW'.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Nighthaun could absolutely be fine with an army wide 5+ ward. Or they could just get a version of Ethereal that allows them to buff saves by +1 like everyone else while still being immune to rend. Every army in the game can currently effectively make one unit a turn immune to rend at +1 to saves. Nighthaunt would just be able to do it to three at once (Mystic Shield, All-Out Defense and Finest Hour), which at a max of 3+ would probably still be fine.

Hooray, my ideas aren't terrible for once 😁

12 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

I always imagined they where ghosts (so can't rend them) but that they are (magically) carrying physical weapons (so shields and armour, etc, should work). At least that's how I painted them!

I am inclined to agree that is how GW seems to portray them in terms of paint scheme and artwork... but it would still be a really cool rule maybe it could be tied to a specific subfaction cursed by Nagash into a particularly ectomplasmatic state?

Once again, it seems to be a good thing I am not a rules writer.

42 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Yeah if the rumours are true, this is really brutal, even by GW's awful standards.

• Shadespire £40
  • Nightvault £40
  • Beastgrave £45
  • Direchasm £50
  • Harrowdeep £65

A 60% price rise since the game's start only five years ago, a bigger jump than the creep we've seen over the last two seasons. It's supposed to have more cards but that's hardly an excuse. Almost worse that this increase is coming after Direchasm as a season was substantially undercut by covid, meaning games were rather more limited.

I mean damn. You think you get acclimatised to ludicrous price gouging and then GW surprises you with a left hook. I've talked up WHU as a great game, and it is, but... this is me priced out of the main sets and getting new teams. The warbands had already crept up quite a bit in price, from £17.50 to £25, which may well go up further.

It's really disappointing, I got into WHU in a large part because I'd been firmly priced out of AoS/40k and was glad to find what it still one of the best-designed games they've ever made. It's still cheaper than the mainline mass battle stuff but hardly the easy entry point/low cost competitive game it started as. Kind of characteristic of the decisions of the last two-ish years seemingly reversing many of the gains that were heralded as 'nu-GW'.

would love to know who thinks jacking up WHU prices will get people into AOS proper.... or is the point to price WHU as it's own separate game ? Either way that jump is putting me off Harrowdeep. Here I was thinking it'd be a nice way to introduce my partner to wargaming :/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The main thing in the seraphon book is the mount trait for coalesced that lets something run and charge once per game (or add +1 attack to the mount's weapons, I guess, but the run and charge is the big thing because you don't need to rely on a 3+ any more, it just works, and run and charge is typically something you only need once per game anyway). The rest is either junk or pretty marginal (i.e. the reworked coalesced trait, you might occasionally get a 6+ ward on a model or do a few mortal wounds to an enemy, fluffy I guess but the gameplay impact is extremely minimal).

Is there any news for Malerion release??

The thing about IDK with DoK has any sense or hinted somewhere? I cant ser how IDK Will unite or make coallition with DoK...

Some people say IDK Will be renewed Soon, other say dont ... I need to know!! 

Will Malerion be coallition with cities? Will Malerion remove dark elves from cities?? Will the new cities book Kick elves off??? 

Come on GW I need to plan my Next army and Lumineth are too strange

8 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

The thing about IDK with DoK has any sense or hinted somewhere? I cant ser how IDK Will unite or make coallition with DoK...

Coalition in Terms of 3.0 Coalition rules? Would make sense. Lorewise Morathi forged a suprisingly strong alliance with Volturnos if I recall correctly. Volturnos even aided her to raid Anvilgard and make it Har Kuron. Althrough I am not sure how they went from Volturnos raiding her Ascension Ritual to kill her to the current friendship. 

As for IDK and DoK becoming one faction I really am not sure if we will see this happen. Althrough it might be that GW pushes for more Warclan style books my guts say this is rather unlikely

43 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

Is there any news for Malerion release??

Some people say IDK Will be renewed Soon, other say dont ... I need to know!! 

Will Malerion be coallition with cities? Will Malerion remove dark elves from cities?? Will the new cities book Kick elves off??? 

Come on GW I need to plan my Next army and Lumineth are too strange

It been suggested that the next battle box is going have Idoneath vs maybe Fyreslayers in it ( most likely with an obligatory new hero model in it both armies) 

Malerion is like the next loyalist Primarch release, always rumors about them being release yet end up not happening when time goes on.

6 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

would love to know who thinks jacking up WHU prices will get people into AOS proper.... or is the point to price WHU as it's own separate game ? Either way that jump is putting me off Harrowdeep. Here I was thinking it'd be a nice way to introduce my partner to wargaming :/

It will probably be the first edition of the game I skip. I have bought them all, but haven't not even played a game since they started card rotation. The idea of buying products with a known, built-in death date just two years into the future is extremely off-putting. Increasing the cost is a tough sell. Besides, I get my arena combat fix from the much better Super Fantasy Brawl anyway.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 5