The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

I'm more baffled at the idea that ironjawz and Bonesplitterz are left with less units than the newcomers.

Exactly this. I don't know why some people are sure they are getting a second wave when they are not even a faction but a subfaction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Benkei said:

Exactly this. I don't know why some people are sure they are getting a second wave when they are not even a faction but a subfaction. 

I think that all armies follow one of the points below:

• New Edition armies seems to recieve A LOT.  AoS 3.0 booklet has made a clear point that SCE are not just fighting Orruk Warclans, but Kruleboyz (even if they share the same battletome). So, expect something like Khorne, Nighthaunts, Death Guard or Necrons.
  • Micro-armies: Armies that have between 10 and 14 kits on release. (Idoneth, KOs, Fyreslayers, Ironjawz, etc...). Note: Old Fantasy armies were divided using the same pattern as new AoS ones, but since 2.0, they were grouped to be the exactly the same as Fantasy (or something really close).
  • Reused armies. Usually, they only recieve rules (Battletomes and maybe terrain, new endless spells, 1 new hero (or two) or nothing. (BoC, Seraphon, etc...)
  • Repurposed armies: Same as above, but with 5+ new kits . They become their own thing but still use some older units (Gloomspite Gits, Gravelords, etc...)
  • 2d wave armies: Armies that recieved some type of a second wave of minis. They come from any of the above points.(Slaanesh and Lumineth).
  • SCE
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kadeton said:

Heh. I feel like that's more a pragmatic response to Stormcast specifically. And those crossbows are definitely "rule of cool" more than anything else - small crossbows can still hold a phenomenal amount of energy in tension, so there's not much reason to make them massive and unwieldy

I guess. I think the main point of cavalry is generally to move fast, whereas those sound slow and careful. So is it just about some of the Kruleboyz not having to get their feet wet? Or just because riding stuff is neat, even if it's not very practical?

(If I was designing cavalry for them, I'd go totally the opposite direction - long, narrow stilt-like legs, looking like one of Dali's elephants. Just as impractical, but IMO more fun!)

I mean, the post I responded to was asking for a unit akin to Brutes or Nobs, so yeah... at least one person is definitely asking for that. But your idea sounds awesome and I would be totally behind it. Kruleboyz should definitely lean into the skill & cunning approach, not the powerful & heavily armoured - leave that to the Ironjawz.

Oh, sorry then. Didn't read the comment you're mentioning so I assumed everyone was on board with Kruleboyz being less smash and more sneak and kill. Well, I guess the Killaboss on foot looks a little smashy. :)

I guess the gnashtooth or wolf cavalry would feel a little like the warg in LOTR. Feral and agressive, once they've snuck up to the enemy. The long legged thingy is interesting as well. But I think I'd use that as a platform of sorts for shooting purposes instead of cavalry. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AngryPanda said:

My guess, Skaven? I don’t think it will be chaos dwarfs, it’s too premature into the edition to announce that sort of unique release. 

99% sure it's not Chaos Dwarfs. To begin with, they did mention 3rd edition would be more about reinforcing the existing armies than bringing new ones, so I don't expect Chaos Dwarfs until reaaally late into the edition, if ever.

My guess is on Skaven or BoC, too. As a Nurgle player I'd love to finally get the update/extended release I need, but I'm not really expecting it, and nothing seems to point at Nurgle as a possibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

I think that all armies follow one of the points below:

• New Edition armies seems to recieve A LOT.  AoS 3.0 booklet has made a clear point that SCE are not just fighting Orruk Warclans, but Kruleboyz (even if they share the same battletome). So, expect something like Khorne, Nighthaunts, Death Guard or Necrons.
  • Micro-armies: Armies that have between 10 and 14 kits on release. (Idoneth, KOs, Fyreslayers, Ironjawz, etc...). Note: Old Fantasy armies were divided using the same pattern as new AoS ones, but since 2.0, they were grouped to be the exactly the same as Fantasy (or something really close).
  • Reused armies. Usually, they only recieve rules (Battletomes and maybe terrain, new endless spells, 1 new hero (or two) or nothing. (BoC, Seraphon, etc...)
  • Repurposed armies: Same as above, but with 5+ new kits . They become their own thing but still use some older units (Gloomspite Gits, Gravelords, etc...)
  • 2d wave armies: Armies that recieved some type of a second wave of minis. They come from any of the above points.(Slaanesh and Lumineth).
  • SCE

Except Kruleboyz is a micro-army/subfaction and not a full fledged army, it's just we didn't know it until they told us they didn't have their own battletome. Will GW expand them in the far future? Maybe, depending on sales, but I'm pretty sure it won't be this edition. 

Edited by Benkei

1 hour ago, Benkei said:

Except Kruleboyz is a micro-army/subfaction and not a full fledged army, it's just we didn't know it until they told us they didn't have their own battletome. Will GW expand them in the far future? Maybe, depending on sales, but I'm pretty sure it won't be this edition. 

I was talking more about new plastic kits than their rules. Some armies were divided early 1.0 and then mixed again (Ex.: Maw Tribes),  but that's not the point that I was trying to make.

Btw, Khorne had 10-12 kits too (but had a 8+kits 1 year before AoS 1.0), so maybe, it will be the first time that an Starter Army has not 16+ kits.

Edited by Beliman

1 hour ago, Gistradagis said:

99% sure it's not Chaos Dwarfs. To begin with, they did mention 3rd edition would be more about reinforcing the existing armies than bringing new ones, so I don't expect Chaos Dwarfs until reaaally late into the edition, if ever.

My guess is on Skaven or BoC, too. As a Nurgle player I'd love to finally get the update/extended release I need, but I'm not really expecting it, and nothing seems to point at Nurgle as a possibility.

I'm the opposite where I believe it is Nurgle. There has been a Rumour Engine or two that could be Nurgle and since it's the oldest Chaos Battletome it would make sense for it to be updated first.

I'm expecting a small release for Maggotkin. Probably a new Hero, Endless Spell or Terrain Piece and the Battletome. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Btw, Khorne had 10-12 kits too (but had a 8+kits 1 year before AoS 1.0), so maybe, it will be the first time that an Starter Army has not 16+ kits.

They showed 12 kits for Kruleboyz so far and I doubt that they will reveal more than one or two extra ones before the tome release (if they reveal anything at all). 12 kits is in the range of most of the new armies se got last edition, so it's possible that Nighthaunt release was a outlier for the new edition army size.

Nurgle could swing either way, either a bare bones Battletome only, or a couple of replacement plastic for finecast or a couple of whole new units.

Looking at other Chaos tomes it doesn't have any Endless Spells, so they seem likely. 

Then there seems to be a big push towards Priests in 3rd Ed, but not many actual models.  So replacing the Harbinger of Decay who is tiny and finecast and making him a Priest would tick a lot of boxes - only speculation though.  Could also have an Endless Invocation as part of above then?

Finally a disposable/low point Mortal unit would be very nice, but the Army manages without at the moment.  Possibly the AoS version of Poxwalkers, or Pestigors, or Cultists.  Perhaps?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I'm the opposite where I believe it is Nurgle. There has been a Rumour Engine or two that could be Nurgle and since it's the oldest Chaos Battletome it would make sense for it to be updated first.

I'm expecting a small release for Maggotkin. Probably a new Hero, Endless Spell or Terrain Piece and the Battletome. 

A hero is the last thing Nurgle needs, rather. Same for terrain piece. Nurgle, ironically (as it looks like a big faction), actually needs a pretty big release. It lacks endless spells, and an actual (AoS) release (it has 6 non-hero units, from 40k and the end of Fantasy basically), Slaanesh-style.

Do I think we'll get it? Eeeeeeeeh, not really. Much like you say, I do believe we'll get some random piece like a hero, endless, and book. And age doesn't mean much to GW, as they release stuff according to their own mysterious plans, and not book age or meta state.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

They showed 12 kits for Kruleboyz so far and I doubt that they will reveal more than one or two extra ones before the tome release (if they reveal anything at all). 12 kits is in the range of most of the new armies se got last edition, so it's possible that Nighthaunt release was a outlier for the new edition army size.

My bad, I was talking about diferent models and not just kits that can build two options (I just try to ignore things like Mighty Lord of Khorne-Khorgos Khul or diferent weapon loadouts):

1. Hobbgrots slittaz
  2. Man-Skewer Boltboyz (normal + ETB)
  3. Gutrippaz (normal + ETB)
  4. Killaboss on Great Gnashtooth
  5. Killabott with Stab-Grot
  6. Murknob with Belcha-banna
  7. Swampcalla Shaman and Pot-Grot
  8. Beast-Skewer Killbow
  9. Breaka-boss on Mire-brute Troggoth
  10. Swampboss Skumdrekk
  11. Snatchaboss on Sludgeraker Beast
  12. Marshcrawla Sloggoth
  13. Gobbsprakk, the Mouth of Mork
  14. Killaboss on Corpse-rippa

I know that the Mire-brute Troggoth or Marshcrawla Sloggoth crew have diferent builds, but I'm not sure if they are diferent units or just weapon loadouts/fancy stuff.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Beliman said:

My bad, I was talking about diferent models and not just kits that can build two options (I just try to ignore things like Mighty Lord of Khorne-Khorgos Khul or diferent weapon loadouts):

Oh I see, warscrolls them? Even i we look this way 14 seems to be the standard number, comparing with new armies and looking at just the new models they got when they were released: Ossiarch got 13, Lumineth 1st wave got 10, Idoneth got 14.

Nighthaunt got 16 new kits (17 if you consider the coach, not sure if it was a revamp of the legions model or something totally new) , which more than the Krubleboyz got so far, but not by a huge margin. If they reveal a dual kit today they would have the same number of new models!

Spoiler

Nighthaunt:

1. Knight of shrouds

2. Knight of shrouds on steed

3. Guardian of souls

4. Spirit Torment

5. Grimghast reapers

6. Glaivewraith stalker

7. Chainrasp horde

8. Lord Executioner

9. Olynder

10. Kurdoss

11. Reikenor

12. Chainghast

13. Dreadblade Harrow

14. Bladegheist Revenants

15. Mymourn Banshees

16. Dreadscyther Harridans

17. Black Coach

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gistradagis said:

A hero is the last thing Nurgle needs, rather. Same for terrain piece. Nurgle, ironically (as it looks like a big faction), actually needs a pretty big release. It lacks endless spells, and an actual (AoS) release (it has 6 non-hero units, from 40k and the end of Fantasy basically), Slaanesh-style.

Um... You don't call the 2017release a release? GUO, pusgoyle blightlords, horticulus slimux, sloppity, spoilox, lord of blights, beasts of nurgle.. a few of those aren't even playable in 40k....

And "end of fantasy" not that long ago. Those models (blightkings, maggoth lord, glotkin, ??) Are all great kits and nowhere near old compared to what some armies are dealing with. 

Endless spells were just Chinese kits so gw could have "releases" even when they didn't have factory capacity. It's not something anyone "needs"

Nurgle players who think they "need" models must not have played any other army.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Sowoky said:

Um... You don't call the 2017release a release? GUO, pusgoyle blightlords, horticulus slimux, sloppity, spoilox, lord of blights, beasts of nurgle.. a few of those aren't even playable in 40k....

And "end of fantasy" not that long ago. Those models (blightkings, maggoth lord, glotkin, ??) Are all great kits and nowhere near old compared to what some armies are dealing with. 

Endless spells were just Chinese kits so gw could have "releases" even when they didn't have factory capacity. It's not something anyone "needs"

Nurgle players who think they "need" models must not have played any other army.

Perhaps actually read the post. There's a reason I speak of non-hero units (spoiler: it's for the non-hero units). A million heroes and 6 units is a straight up weird balance.

End of fantasy is not long ago, but it's not AoS. This is also not a competition, it literally doesn't matter how old other kits from other armies are. GW isn't going around by kits age or necessity, and an army's release isn't going to depend on whether it'll make other people feel bad about their armies also needing stuff. To say that Nurgle doesn't deserve more units because other armies have older models makes 0 sense.

Your personal take on endless spells doesn't change the fact they were introduced with the idea of being for almost every single army, and that Nurgle lacks them. It's not something anyone "needs" because no faction "needs" anything, everything is extra.

Again, that comparison is great for dishonest arguments, but it's still not a competition. Nurgle needs more non-hero models, independent of what other factions have and need.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Battletome release date to be confirmed later this week, and it says they're still releasing stuff in August

Did we read the same article? 

Says the book is going on pre order later this month and watch this space for release date, nothing more. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Battletome release date to be confirmed later this week, and it says they're still releasing stuff in August

Sadly the only commitment is to reveal the release date at an unspecified time and that preorder is August. There’s nothing to confirm actual releases in August, which is because it’s September.

1 minute ago, PrimeElectrid said:

Sadly the only commitment is to reveal the release date at an unspecified time and that preorder is August. There’s nothing to confirm actual releases in August, which is because it’s September.

My guess is pre orders to go up on the 28th August, release on the 4th September. 

• Like 1

I know that this far from a counter to Teclis, but I do love that this vulture riding prophet can lay the hurt on the god of magic and might force make more use of the limited spells at a higher casting power. But so far seems like a really cool unit and I hope that its presence on the battlefield matches my favourite model so far from AOS 3.0... which is saying a lot 'cause I chose the Thunderstrike side from Dominion.