The Rumour Thread

Oh God... They are copying the "digital rules" version of 40k... So no more easy to flick through PDF versions and having to subscribe to unlock digital versions of the books you own. 

I have MASSIVE 40k armies just standing around collecting dust because of how diffused and confusing the 40k rules system became. I do hope AoS doesn't fall into this trap, but I'm afraid that regressive trend already started with the broken realms books. A mate of mine suggested 40k as a game option a few days ago and it was quickly discarded because we both felt like we had no clue what the new rules even were (and just decided on a WH: UW gamenight instead, as that is a game with a reasonably clean rulesset still).  

40k has sadly died out around here because of the clunky rules and accessibility of them. After the lockdown, many are already having to dust off their models after a year and a half of almost no games, only to find out you have to get a subscription model in an app to stay somewhat up to date. I'm not looking forwards to that. 

I know full well that it's a move to combat online piracy, but good luck stopping that... Especially if you start moving to subscription models: the thing that probably drives more people to piracy than anything else. :s

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, The Brotherhood of Necros said:

With the books dropping in August, do you think there’ll be another preview this month to show off the last of the stuff for these guys? 

The last day of the month is Saturday the 31st. I'd say we may get a Preview then.

1 hour ago, Elmir said:

Oh God... They are copying the "digital rules" version of 40k... So no more easy to flick through PDF versions and having to subscribe to unlock digital versions of the books you own.

Yes for me the simple hint that this might be the case trumps all the excitment for new miniatures and even dents the one for the new edition :( I really hope they have learned something and they "import" the AoS App system instead (can buy full digital BTs inside their own app) but I am not optimistic

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Elmir said:

I know full well that it's a move to combat online piracy

don't think it is, otherwise they would have done something against Battlescribe already, which is the main source for rules for a lot of 40k players who don't want to buy the books

this move is to get people into their Warhammer+ Community and subscription model, so they stop searching for content outside the GW Bubble

Just now, Marcvs said:

I really hope they have learned something and they "import" the AoS App system instead (can buy digital BTs inside their own app) but I am not optimistic

they don't, it was already written on Warhammer Community that the current AoS App system is not compatible with the new system and therefore will be replaced

3 hours ago, Aeryenn said:

Did GW discontinue some of their spray paints or is it just suffering from shortcomings? I can't find Mechanicus Standard Grey anywhere.

It's a production issue I believe. I'm in the US and just last week my local GW store was talking about how they couldn't get primer specifically.

• Like 1

This is totally uninformed speculation driven by the fact that I'm building my one acquisition from the Dominion box: a unit of Hobgrot Slittaz :P 

I'm wondering if the rumoured/hinted/expected chaos duardin actually... aren't. Chaos, that is.

My, again this is speculation, thought is that they're going to be Destruction instead. Duardin so dismayed at the disappearance of Grungni and the fall of the old holds that they embraced a bleak view of everything. Their holds and forges are now just armouries that make destructive devices they will sell to whoever wants them... Chaos included.

So less Chaos Dwarfs, more Nihilism Dwarfs!

A dark mirror to the Kharadron perhaps?

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

3 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

The Stormcast are okay in this edition, byt the gryph hounds they knocked out of the park!

We need more gryph-things. But please not the chonky ones, why couldnt gryph-chargers look a bit more  like a scaled up version of the hounds?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Warfiend said:

way too detailed. Looks like they designed the faction to fall apart since they have put a lot of tiny easy breakable spikes on most models.

That triggers me a bit, sometimes. I like pretty models but fragility should be a consideration in game oriented models.

• Thanks 1

The new models look really cool. Not my kind of thing this time around (which is just as well), but cool nonetheless.

The most interesting thing from the preview for me was the updated trade dress of the new battletomes. I'd assumed the red box/book of Dominion was going to be like the green of Soul Wars, and the rest of the range would stay in white packaging. Now it looks like they actually are going back to the "classic" red of warhammer fantasy. GW stores will certainly look a bit different in a year or two!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Elmir said:

I have MASSIVE 40k armies just standing around collecting dust because of how diffused and confusing the 40k rules system became. I do hope AoS doesn't fall into this trap, but I'm afraid that regressive trend already started with the broken realms books. A mate of mine suggested 40k as a game option a few days ago and it was quickly discarded because we both felt like we had no clue what the new rules even were (and just decided on a WH: UW gamenight instead, as that is a game with a reasonably clean rulesset still).  

40k has sadly died out around here because of the clunky rules and accessibility of them. After the lockdown, many are already having to dust off their models after a year and a half of almost no games, only to find out you have to get a subscription model in an app to stay somewhat up to date. I'm not looking forwards to that. 

I know full well that it's a move to combat online piracy, but good luck stopping that... Especially if you start moving to subscription models: the thing that probably drives more people to piracy than anything else. :s

It's not about piracy ,its about locking the game behind a £60 subscription to play it, and its about how using the data from subscribers will make it easier to sell things to those individuals and focus on creating more of what will sell or be consumed by said subscribers 

Edited by Nos
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Elmir said:

On the upside, two more of my friends have now jumped ship on AoS 3.0 because of this. The whole "paper books only" thing is genuinely not acceptable to 20s/30s New Yorkers who care about the environment, and I think GW is going to learn the hard way that reaching for profit by doing environmentally unsound things is not a path forward in the current world anymore.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If this is too much topic drift, please ignore or delete. But...electricity, computers, batteries and computer networks rely heavily on nonrenewable resources like oil and precious metals. Trees are a renewable resource, and there are other renewable resources  (like hemp) that could be used to make quality paper (if the huge paper lobby in the USA and the shortsighted Chinese economic planners would support building new mills or retooling current mills for other renewables). There is a finite amount of oil in the world. In most of the temperate zones in the world, if you pick a spot and do nothing, eventually a tree will grow there.

Edited by Christopher Rowe
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Christopher Rowe said:

If this is too much topic drift, please ignore or delete. But...electricity, computers, batteries and computer networks rely heavily on nonrenewable resources like oil and precious metals. Trees are a renewable resource, and there are other renewable resources  (like hemp) that could be used to make quality paper (if the huge paper lobby in the USA and the shortsighted Chinese economic planners would support building new mills or retooling current mills for other renewables). There is a finite amount of oil in the world. In most of the temperate zones in the world, if you pick a spot and do nothing, eventually a tree will grow there.

I mean, surely it's off topic but: any good sources for that claim? every time I try to read more 0on this comparison I can only find articles which include in the environmental impact of e-books the actual devices used to read them (notably, e-reader), which seems a dated approach considering I (as, I am sure, many others) read ebooks on a device which I already own anyway (smartphone)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Christopher Rowe said:

Those books are transported by sea. Ocean shipping is responsible for more pollution than all but six nations. 

Also those digital-only players are still buying the books AND then using the digital library anyway.

Edited by Clan's Cynic

8 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Can we bounce back to rumors please? Hearing people complain about the “excessive” use of paper and it’s affect on the environment while playing a game using plastic miniatures is to much hypocrisy for a Sunday.

Buying whatever Stuff and using it is ok. 

Buying Stuff for your pile of shame is evil!

😜

2 hours ago, ManlyMuppet88 said:

The sloth-croc (slothodile??) is growing on me but I am not a huge fan of the named dude on top... probably going to go generic build for him. Looking forward to seeing what else is coming.

I think both monsters are brilliant, but the uncannily humanoid one is awful in the best way.

43 minutes ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

We already knew about that one (it was mentioned in the article for yesterday’s), I think KingBrodd meant another one later where we might see the rest of the Kruleboyz/Stormcast stuff. The one on Saturday is just 40k stuff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Still-young said:

We already knew about that one (it was mentioned in the article for yesterday’s), I think KingBrodd meant another one later where we might see the rest of the Kruleboyz/Stormcast stuff. The one on Saturday is just 40k stuff. 

I didn't see that part of the article.