The Rumour Thread

4 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Then don't use the new suggested size. It's your game, use what ever size table you like. I have a 6'x4' and will continue to use that. 

That's the same thing people said when 40k changed "suggested" sizes but tournaments and players all switched to the new size anyways because the new battleplans and gameplay are balanced around the new size.

Edited by Verminlord
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

That's the same thing people said when 40k changed "suggested" sizes but tournaments and players all switched to the new size anyways because the new battleplans and gameplay are balanced around the new size.

That’s at a tournament and you play to the rules of the pack. Outside that you play on what you want 😉

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Verminlord said:

That's the same thing people said when 40k changed "suggested" sizes but tournaments and players all switched to the new size anyways bc the new battleplans and gameplay are balanced around the new size.

Doesn't mean you have to tho. 

It's easy enough to convert the battleplans, we're only talking a few inches either side. 

If I'm right in the sizing it's gone from 72" x 48" to 60" x 44". 

Just add 6" to both sides no mans land and your set. 

7 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

That’s at a tournament and you play to the rules of the pack. Outside that you play on what you want 😉

I mean obviously that's fine if your locals will play on a non standard size. You can also play with coins instead of models if you want.

Most people around me do not use house rules and I wouldn't make someone play a different size than is intended.

Again, this same argument was everywhere when 40k switched sizes and I haven't seen 40k played on a 6x4 since.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

Again, this same argument was everywhere when 40k switched sizes and I haven't seen 40k played on a 6x4 since.

Totally understand. You end up playing how everybody plays. Until I’ve seen full rules I’m not making a judgement but I think it will be fine. Plus new size makes it easier to play in my dining room table at home 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

After finally being able to check everything thing out I'm so damn happy by everything I've seen!! 

The new SCE are fantastic and look amazing in my opinion. Love the new Chariot and the Gryph Hounds actually looks more terrifying than cute which I love.

The Kruelboyz...incredible. Perfection. The rumours of LOTR style Orcs were spot on, they look amazing and though I didnt watch the Livestream, the hints are definitely there for Chaos Duardin. 

It would be a fine time for Duardin if at the later end of 3.0 Disspossessed, Fyreslayers and Kharadron received revamps and Chaos Duardin were released. 

My favourite mini shown was hands down the Troggoth rider, I love monsters and that felt very Battle of the Five Armies to me with an AOS spin.

Cannot get over the Kruelboy aesthetic, love the swampy armoured look and the lanky creepy Orruk angle is incredible I really like them.

I agree with you your swoleness, I lived in New Orleans for two years when I was a kid and the swamp was the best part of living there(next to the food, but I was five and didn’t like the music/parades). The sights, the sounds, the big ole alligators and spiders… the reason I got into Gloomspite Gitz was cause They had big spiders and could be found in dank places(like a swamp). My only comply is that they worship Lragnos instead of some giant alligator/crocodile, but I’ll figure something out.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Doesn't mean you have to tho. 

It's easy enough to convert the battleplans, we're only talking a few inches either side. 

If I'm right in the sizing it's gone from 72" x 48" to 60" x 44". 

Just add 6" to both sides no mans land and your set. 

You're handicapping yourself significantly if you do that and then intend to play in tournaments. The smaller board size actually has an incredibly significant impact, especially on teleporter/deepstrikers. Playing practice games on the larger board would have dubious value, potentially even being actively detrimental to success.

If you routinely play/care about tournaments, then you're locked in to what the tournament standard is except for absolute fluff games.

• Like 1

Smaller size might be very good IMO as all the problematic shooting units would automatically take a substantial nerf that way... only real downside I see are how to handle terrain. I don't think terrain is in a great spot rule-wise (which is damn shame as we never had so much beautiful terrain to buy) and a cool looking table full of terrain often felt more crowded and frustrating game-wise than enjoyable (biggest problems were usually hills - combine those with big units and suddenly you got a massive no man's land in the game). Not really sure how to fix that though but I'll stay optimistic about the new size. Guess we'ol just have to use less or smaller terrain from now on.

15 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Totally understand. You end up playing how everybody plays. Until I’ve seen full rules I’m not making a judgement but I think it will be fine. Plus new size makes it easier to play in my dining room table at home 

I have very high hopes of fitting the smaller size in my office gaming room!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fred1245 said:

You're handicapping yourself significantly if you do that and then intend to play in tournaments. The smaller board size actually has an incredibly significant impact, especially on teleporter/deepstrikers. Playing practice games on the larger board would have dubious value, potentially even being actively detrimental to success.

If you routinely play/care about tournaments, then you're locked in to what the tournament standard is except for absolute fluff games.

I don't do tournament but I do see your point. As someone said eariler, play whatever your local scene plays. 

The change isn't that massive however, 2 inches off either short table side and 6 inches off either long side. I bet after a couple of games, you won't even notice a diffrence 

7 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Smaller size might be very good IMO as all the problematic shooting units would automatically take a substantial nerf that way... only real downside I see are how to handle terrain. I don't think terrain is in a great spot rule-wise (which is damn shame as we never had so much beautiful terrain to buy) and a cool looking table full of terrain often felt more crowded and frustrating game-wise than enjoyable (biggest problems were usually hills - combine those with big units and suddenly you got a massive no man's land in the game). Not really sure how to fix that though but I'll stay optimistic about the new size. Guess we'ol just have to use less or smaller terrain from now on.

I'm actually hoping for more required terrain and better rules for them. As it stands terrain is just table dressing unless you have some serious LoS blocking pieces.

Terrain forces a lot more tactical decisions and is also a natural nerf to big hordes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rachmani said:

I have very high hopes of fitting the smaller size in my office gaming room!

What would be stopping you from doing it now? I mean it 40k is pretty much understood GW just threw out official minimum table sizes based on their Kill Team/Warcry boards. It isn't like GW themselves make use of it. I mean if that's the space you have, that's the space you have.  As a player I wouldn't be bothered by it as I understand the reason.  However, just making tables smaller because minimum numbers have been included now seems so odd to me.

I have been informed that Warhammer World still uses 6'x4' tables with people saying they are making more at the same size.  Table size like points is absolutely a player controlled issue. Games Workshop is forcing us to play 2000 points or 6'x'4 (or whatever the minimum recommend size) tables.  We are.  If anything, GW is resistant to that change. As it is also my understanding that games involving GW more closely were often 1750 or so while, at least in America, most spoke about 2000pt games.

I am not a fan of reducing the size of tables (for 40k or AoS) at all.  This coming from someone that loves the knife-fighting in a phone booth feel of Kill Team.  Fortunately, I have a group that doesn't like, or is indifferent, to smaller tables too.  I know that won't be the case if GW put numbers on it.  Which I feel it is necessary to remind people those minimum numbers aren't, 'the recommended size.' They are, 'the any smaller and the game will probably suffer size.' I don't know about others, but I don't want to be right on the cliff of this might not work out so well for my games.

Other than a place trying to squeeze a gaming table or two (which they still could have done before). I don't see much in upsides in making a 28mm to 32mm (or anything greater than 15-20mm really) platoon/company miniatures war game smaller than 6'x4'.  If anything, I would rather tables get bigger.  It seems so crazy to me that is what players are deciding to do to themselves.

18 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

I don't do tournament but I do see your point. As someone said eariler, play whatever your local scene plays. 

The change isn't that massive however, 2 inches off either short table side and 6 inches off either long side. I bet after a couple of games, you won't even notice a diffrence 

For regular movement/objectives/deployment you are absolutely correct that the difference isn't huge.

From my experience making the transition in 40k, any ability that has a 'outside of 9"' clause is radically different to use. The smaller board feels downright claustrophobic in those cases. Since most armies now have abilities like that, keeping a consistent board size is pretty important.

Again, this is only for tournament play and tournament practice.

29 minutes ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

What would be stopping you from doing it now?

Nothing. But my answer was just too short to give you the proper context. So here it is:

My local gaming store plays with the „standard size“ tables and those tables are in need of a refresh. So when we heard the sizes might change we decided to get new tables - or at least help the store guys build & paint them, once it‘s clear what the „new normal“ would be.

Now my office is too small to comfortably fit a bigger table but I have hopes that a smaller one could fit.

Now, could I have done that before? Absolutely. But I like to play on the same size my gaming store has & and so I use the dining table as a base - which works, but doesn’t really make my wife happy.

So bottom line is: Smaller official table sizes might be just perfect for my specific case :D

In the end this has - in my case - nothing to do with how the games play out on smaller tables but rather the context of my living space.

Edited by Rachmani

46 minutes ago, Verminlord said:

I'm actually hoping for more required terrain and better rules for them. As it stands terrain is just table dressing unless you have some serious LoS blocking pieces.

Terrain forces a lot more tactical decisions and is also a natural nerf to big hordes.

Well, I agree with you as I love a nice looking table (who doesn't?) but our GG players certainly doesn't really need nerfs. Can't talk much about other horde armies as I don't play them regularly. Outside of better rules for terrain in general, I'm not sure how to fix things like hills or plateaus. They need to be bigger to look decent but in the end, small (as in smaller footprint) but very tall hills akin to towers would gameplay wise be much more useful I guess...

Would be interesting to see a couple of ideal tables terrain-wise. 

4 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

Has their been any news/rumours on Stormcast in 3.0? They're not exactly in a good place right now and a lot of their range kind of steps on each others feet tbh

These new ones however are goooorgeous

Calling it now, SCE are getting a major rework and will dominate the meta and as new releases come out they will gladly find themselves back at the bottom of the pile only for history to repeat in 4.0. Such is the life of the 'main posterboy' faction.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Calling it now, SCE are getting a major rework and will dominate the meta and as new releases come out they will gladly find themselves back at the bottom of the pile only for history to repeat in 4.0. Such is the life of the 'main posterboy' faction.

However unlike Marines in 40k, Stormcast do not sell quite as much so do not get the 2 books per edition benefit, so slowly drops in tiers for each other new book to then remain at the bottom for a year+ until the next edition. Maybe the rules will be good this time as they do not have to create 30+ useless battalions ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mitzrael said:

What about the chamber concept for SCE? If they don't introduce a new one with start of the new edition, will they ever do it?

I believe they will, just not this time

This time we got a complete revamp of all chambers released before.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

doing different  Armor set probably gives GW infinite creative space of making new Stormcast in the future, much like the Ironman comics

Oh no the Mortal realm has been affected by massive floods, time to release the underwater combat armor set

Oh no we need fight enemies in Space, time for the Astronaut armor set

Edited by novakai
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Souleater said:

Not my work, so kudos to the unknown creator but I now believe that the Lord-Impertinent got his title from calling Sigmar 'Dave'

FB_IMG_1622314150403.jpg

"Yep, got a medal from Sigmar for saving Azyr money... I've been using the exact same hammer for 400 years."

"The same hammer?!"

"Yep. Maintained it myself, still as good as new. This hammers had 200 new heads and 170 new handles in its time."

"How is that the same bloody hammer?!"

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1