The Rumour Thread

18 hours ago, rosa said:

This argument ist just meh. 
just because something is free means that criticism is not allowed? Every big forum out there is free! Come on…

I think criticism is fine in any situation.... Perhaps what isn't however, is doing it in a way that makes you sound like an angry little man.

Instead of ranting about the problems you're facing and expecting people to fix it for you. How about you make some constructive suggestions and try to engage with the volunteers who run this site.... Alternatively... Go away, I doubt your vitriol will be missed.

6 hours ago, Harioch said:

If generic battalions are a real thing maybe they're just the major part of all battalions but not exclusive. I mean we could see battalions by sub-factions etc. We could even have a variation in a subfaction that alter a generic battalion.

Hypothetic example: The generic battalion "Cavalry-charge-whatever" is composed of three cavalry units and give you a reroll for a charge at your phase. But if you take this battalion in a Stalliarch Lords allegiance, it also give you a reroll for mortal wounds inflicted on charge etc or can include a Archai instead of a cavalry unit.

3 hours ago, Enoby said:

I have a feeling, if these generic battalions are real, they won't come with abilities and will be more like detachments in 8th ed 40k - a way to get an extra command point and artefact with a lower drop rate (if that matters) by taking certain types of unit. 

I'm not basing this off any evidence, it's just a case of thinking that, if they want battalions to be less army-defining and considerably better for some armies over others, having no extra bonus is the way to go. Otherwise you would have special abilities that work on one unit better than the others; for example, a basic bonus is rerolling 1 to hit, but some units and armies get that inbuilt or at least very easily, whereas other armies don't have any internal access to rerolls to hit so it benefits them more. Same for rerolling charges, or +s to hit if the cap is implemented. While things like +1 attack would work, it's a bit strong so everyone would take it unless it was super expensive.

Personally I prefer current battalions, and a half way approach of generic but with abilities that will help some more than others I can envision causing other issues. 

The biggest loss is thematic lists - while you can play them in narrative games, many don't play those rules against strangers. Things like squig lists from battalions or beastmen marked armies would be lost from most games because other armies had battalions that were too strong.

While I'm not sure about this, I get the impression the battalion boxes released alongside the broken realms books have followed a few broad archetypes:

- a few have three monsters or war machines plus a Hero

- a few have mostly cavalry (Or jump infantry)

- a few have mostly infantry

- many have a mechanism turning a hero into a "named" hero

I would be surprised if these don't form the basis of the generic battalions, and would still grant some abilities (like the seraphon and hurricanum battalions both allow the constituents to combine their attacks I think).

The thing about promoting to named characters could either become the standard, or present in a few of the generic battalions, but I don't really understand how that works currently, let alone a yet-to-be-confirmed new edition

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DoctorPerils said:

Oooh, is that some new Soulblight stuff against freeguild? Or rather Lumineth?

Looks like gold-painted Lumineth to me. You can see the banners of the blademasters.

To the right you can see the new mounted Wight King, so I assume the big vampire thing is also new. I can't tell if its a vampire mounted on some kind of monster, or if the vampire is some mutated centaur monstrosity.

I'm messing around with the image and trying to adjust light, color, clarity, etc. But it is really hard with this image. Like others mentioned, looks like some Lumineth scattered about, and then the Wight King on the far right with his lance. No idea what the giant model is. At first I though it was riding something but the torso up looks too disproportionally big to be riding something. Below the torso looks as if it has weird mutated legs?

MayWhiteDwarfEdit.png

1 minute ago, BaylorCorvette said:

I'm messing around with the image and trying to adjust light, color, clarity, etc. But it is really hard with this image. Like others mentioned, looks like some Lumineth scattered about, and then the Wight King on the far right with his lance. No idea what the giant model is. At first I though it was riding something but the torso up looks too disproportionally big to be riding something. Below the torso looks as if it has weird mutated legs?

MayWhiteDwarfEdit.png

Yeah the forearms look winged and the rear legs look super beefy.

4 minutes ago, Acrozatarim said:

What time of the month does White Dwarf usually hit the shelves?

I don't pay much attention to White Dwarf but scrolling through my local Warhammer stores Facebook, it looks like they made a post on April 16 about the last White Dwarf being available. So mid month I guess? 

3 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

I don't pay much attention to White Dwarf but scrolling through my local Warhammer stores Facebook, it looks like they made a post on April 16 about the last White Dwarf being available. So mid month I guess? 

sounds about right, I cannot imagine they'd put the magazine out before the reveal week

Reposting some rumours I found elsewhere

Spoiler

New dire wolves, no new black knights. No mortarchs Arkhan in gravelords book, the other two are in. Arkhan and morghasts are officially Bonereaper units now, not in the soulblight book. No ghosts either, those are just Nighthaunt units. You can use Nagash.

Edited by PJetski

5 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Reposting some rumours I found elsewhere

Hide contents

New dire wolves, no new black knights. No mortarchs in gravelords book. Arkhan and morghasts are officially Bonereaper units now, not in the soulblight book. No ghosts either, those are just Nighthaunt units. You can use Nagash.

The WD have a Soulblight Gravelords short story with Neferata as Main Protagonist.