The Rumour Thread

11 minutes ago, JustAsPlanned said:

Damnation looks like it’s gonna be the Gravelords, but idk about faith. Maybe something to do with 40K?

7 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

Likely Admech and Sisters, both are quite faithful to their particular doctrines.

Hopefully they fully unveil the Gravelords this weekend. 

I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised this is a full preview. Considering the last preview we received was for AOS only, I expected then next to be 40k focused.

In that light, this can only be good news, because I wasn't expecting any AoS preview content at all, whatever they decide to show is a gift. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I want to go out on a limb and say the silhouette on the left is a Chaos Dwarf Bull Centaur.

I don’t know if you’re joking or not but I’m starting to understand why people get so disappointed with these previews when they come up with such wild ideas of what stuff is beforehand...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/12/2021 at 9:31 AM, MarkK said:

e2e66328cdd65cabe96fed54f07953f7_original.jpg.697bd6754ca89daea306c3e36918670c.jpg60c7fb286aded7634c8f113583f9ebe4_original.jpg.5ec7ab1e95b3d238f4a35b06863c11fe.jpgd2ad00255c05a8495173f6e299cbc681_original.jpg.3bd895511a4b66caecca6193b651cb4e.jpg57d4331dc1e27353464cbdc8fe60f242_original.jpg.a1265f41eb94dec5ba8f13d8d557520f.jpg920a034aac26823d1d068d54a979faec_original.jpg.ae7ecf655c7e086a72c854a63c93695e.jpg

Oh look! Another company that probably can only exist by riding the coat tails of better, more creative and innovative designers!

Whee!

(Does anyone here believe that these gargants, I mean "colossals", would exist if the superior, original creatives at GW had not created theirs first?)

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

4 hours ago, Athrawes said:

I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised this is a full preview. Considering the last preview we received was for AOS only, I expected then next to be 40k focused.

In that light, this can only be good news, because I wasn't expecting any AoS preview content at all, whatever they decide to show is a gift. 

I agree, I was convinced it would be 40K only so I'm really happy to see AOS there so anything they show I'll be happy with!!

Edited by KingBrodd
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Oh look! Another company that probably can only exist by riding the coat tails of better, more creative and innovative designers!

Whee!

(Does anyone here believe that the the gargants, I mean "colossals", would exist if the superior, original creatives at GW had not created theirs first?)

This is something I find very unfortunate. I want to expand my horizons and get into more games and settings, but so many are just GW product but less interesting. At least the silver lining to it is that it is drawing me more and more to try and make my own game and setting.

2 minutes ago, Grim Beasties said:

This is something I find very unfortunate. I want to expand my horizons and get into more games and settings, but so many are just GW product but less interesting. At least the silver lining to it is that it is drawing me more and more to try and make my own game and setting.

Malifaux, Infinity, and The Other Side are all very unique and fun games that completely do thier own thing. Mechanically, model wise, and setting wise.

Malifaux and TOS don't even use dice (a poker deck instead).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Whee!

(Does anyone here believe that these gargants, I mean "colossals", would exist if the superior, original creatives at GW had not created theirs first?)

Any time I see model lines like this it feels like a waste of talent in some degree. There's a lot of skill involved in these sculpts and with actually creative designs, those sculptors could have made some great things. And those gargan...colossals are an examples of the worst way of doing this: purely a copy of another, pretty new and widely availible model with main appeal of being cheaper. 

However, people who sculpt updated copies things such as Bretonnians, Tomp Kings or Chaos Dwarfs are ok. They provide a product for which there are customers that GW delibaretly chose not to capitalise on. If I'm a fan of egyptian skeletons and tomb kings are discontinued, I don't stop being a fan of egyptian skeletons. I seek a new source of egyptian skeletons and I don't care that the models I find wouldn't exist if GW hadn't design Tomb Kings in the first place.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Malifaux, Infinity, and The Other Side are all very unique and fun games that completely do thier own thing. Mechanically, model wise, and setting wise.

Malifaux and TOS don't even use dice (a poker deck instead).

I've looked them over before and while they are well made, the are unfortunately not to my taste. 

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Whee!

Oh no! Someone's providing alternatives and competition to another product! That's terrible... for some reason.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

Oh no! Someone's providing alternatives and competition to another product! That's terrible... for some reason.

I agree with both points. Maybe I'm just feeling guilty at GW pricing of the Megas, I'm glad there are options for others. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Grim Beasties said:

Back to the topic of rumors, I saw some one say Cursed City pre order might be April 3rd, does anyone have a source for this?

I've also heard this rumour mate but have seen zero source. It could be possible though as next weeks Pre orders are the Druhkari and the following (27th) would be BR Teclis and Lumineth Wave 2.

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Whee!

Giants and Dragons aren't exactly concepts original to GW.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, dekay said:

Any time I see model lines like this it feels like a waste of talent in some degree. There's a lot of skill involved in these sculpts and with actually creative designs, those sculptors could have made some great things. And those gargan...colossals are an examples of the worst way of doing this: purely a copy of another, pretty new and widely availible model with main appeal of being cheaper. 

100% agreed, and an insightful expansion on my thought. Nobody is saying the folks who make these things are not talented in their own right. It's just such a shame when skills like that are applied to such an obvious bottom-feeding effort. 

We, as artists (which we all are as hobbyists to one degree or another), all copy things here and there. Cool paint schemes, color recipes, lore inspiration rather than writing our own, and so on. Some level of copying is very difficult to avoid.

The difference is the financial/business aspect. Someone else put in all the work and resources (time, money, team brainstorms, consistency checks, etc.) to produce a thing. It takes a lot to create something to sell. It takes risk. It could fail despite all the money spent too make it succeed. Heck, if folks have read my thoughts on the GW gargants, they know I really like them but abhor their price to the point where they are one of the very few models GW made that I wanted and yet refuse to buy. That said, they absolutely should charge whatever they want! They put in the work. They took the risk. They should set the terms and reap the potential reward.

Then some lazy, unoriginal idea-thief decides to simultaneously waste the skills of their team and take a reward they in no way whatsoever earned.

It's cheap. It's dishonest. It's morally and creatively bankrupt.

Reward those who put forth honest effort and innovation, not lazy hacks.

So. Yeah. That's my thinking on that.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

100% agreed, and an insightful expansion on my thought. Nobody is saying the folks who make these things are not talented in their own right. It's just such a shame when skills like that are applied to such an obvious bottom-feeding effort. 

We, as artists (which we all are as hobbyists to one degree or another), all copy things here and there. Cool paint schemes, color recipes, lore inspiration rather than writing our own, and so on. Some level of copying is very difficult to avoid.

The difference is the financial/business aspect. Someone else put in all the work and resources (time, money, team brainstorms, consistency checks, etc.) to produce a thing. It takes a lot to create something to sell. It takes risk. It could fail despite all the money spent too make it succeed. Heck, if folks have read my thoughts on the GW gargants, they know I really like them but abhor their price to the point where they are one of the very few models GW made that I wanted and yet refuse to buy. That said, they absolutely should charge whatever they want! They put in the work. They took the risk. They should set the terms and reap the potential reward.

Then some lazy, unoriginal idea-thief decides to simultaneously waste the skills of their team and take a reward they in no way whatsoever earned.

It's cheap. It's dishonest. It's morally and creatively bankrupt.

Reward those who put forth honest effort and innovation, not lazy hacks.

So. Yeah. That's my thinking on that.

What a supremely odd take. And voiced with such vehemence, too. I don't know that GW needs such a mighty defense, they certainly seem to do well on their own. 

Let the guy making hobbit-Bretonnia live in peace. If you think his stuff is derivative, don't buy it. I don't think many of these indie "GW-adjacent" miniature guys are exactly raking in the cash. Certainly, they don't make enough to warrant such vitriol.

• Like 8

I wasn't talking about the pig, clearly.

I'm also not just defending GW. I'm defending all producers who actually make things instead of just subsisting by taking table scraps from those who bothered to actually create something.

It would be like if someone produced a series of novels called "Activity of Big Chairs" that, gosh, really followed the plot of Game of Thrones but just changed the names of the characters and charged less for the books.  That's not "alternatives" or "cheapers options" or whatever. That's lazy and unearned.

Even derivative work is not as bad. It's not perfect, of course, to be derivative, but at least it's not just completely effortless profiting off of half-baked knockoffs.

As to how much money one company or the other is or isn't making ... not even remotely relevant.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 5