The Rumour Thread

29 minutes ago, KriticalKhan said:

If the ogre book is anything like the previous faction merges (and if the rumor posted is true), then BCR will remain as an allegiance you can still take, in addition to having an endless spell.

But an ice/everwinter-themed BCR with no Icefall Yhetees, Frost Sabres or Icebrow Hunter would be pointless. What's left with that theme, other than the three mounts?

It would be like trying to create a "Clan Pestilens" virus-themed army after the hypothetical squatting of Plague Monks, Censor Bearers and Plague Priests. A Plague Furnace and 200 Clan Rats painted green? Brilliant.

Let's face it, at that point, a "BCR" sub-allegiance would just be an elite army of Stonehorns, Thundertusks and Mournfang (i.e. monster-mash themed, rather than everwinter-themed).

Edited by Kyriakin

Btw, some nice wishlisting thing from my side, if BCR and Ogors are going to be put together again:
-Dual Plastic Kit to build either Yheetees or Gorgers

This could allow to keep both around and jump from failcast to plastic. Both units would share the dynamic base pose. Box size of 3 which would be backed into the new warscroll, which would allow gw to move people to buy the kit who already have like 1-2 Gorgers.

• LOVE IT! 1

I’d be sorry to see some of the units go but it would purely be from a thematic and variation basis. The yhetees and gorgers really are some of the ugliest models around. They were early 90s-looking when they were released. I’d like to see new yhetees but i’m not holding my breath. Gorgers on the other hand don’t really feel like they offer as much when pulled out of the WHFB context of the mountains of mourne.

And for the sabretusks, all they need to do is release the fenrisian wolves kit in AoS packaging and call the warscroll “Frostsnarl Lopers” or whatever garbage name they go with. Hardly anyone uses the cat models as cats because they’re ugly and ludicrously expensive for what they are. Just go with existing plastics and make a note in the background that “some hunters are accompanied by great tusked mountain cats while others tame silent-running wolves” to leave it obviously open to existing players.

The butcher also really needs an update but the hunter, the fire belly, and the man eaters are all excellent models. 

Edited by sandlemad

Another thing is that with their 6" pile-in (with rend to boot), Yhetees offer something interesting mechanically that isn't typical for an army of big, strong dudes. It becomes more like a dance, rather than just "get in there, bish-bosh".

They are less than 10 points per wound too, so are both underrated and fun.

While Skal is overpriced (although less so now), the ability to pop-up anywhere with your Hunter and cats is again provides a different dimension from the "run up and smash 'em, lads".

12 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

the hunter, the fire belly, and the man eaters are all excellent models. 

Yea, I quite like the Hunter too.

I know HeyWoah gives him a bit of stick by calling him the "gingerbread man" - due to his slightly unnatural arm position - but there are far worse sculpts out there

Edited by Kyriakin
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

With all this talk about how glad we'd be to see the finecast ogre stuff at the awful end of the spectrum disappear forever, would anyone else be as me if the Maneater models got retired? 😢

GHMercenaries-Jun10-Share9ycs.jpg.f8c9114f44b60911879236fad4ab9edc.jpg

The maneaters are special because (quite apart from being great sculpts and emblematic of a kind of light-hearted character and humour that was disappearing from GW even at the time of their release) I can’t imagine how you’d reasonably emulate them properly in a plastic kit. Half a dozen very distinct big infantry models (and associated unique gnoblars!) with basically no crossover, each unique and clearly a case of the sculptors letting loose and having fun.

By that same token though, it’s half a dozen resin ogres for one unit, ogres which no one is really going to want to buy more than one of, so I can see why GW would not look upon them fondly from a limited stock rationalisation POV.

Edited by sandlemad

8 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

With all this talk about how glad we'd be to see the finecast ogre stuff at the awful end of the spectrum disappear forever, would anyone else be as me if the Maneater models got retired? 😢

GHMercenaries-Jun10-Share9ycs.jpg.f8c9114f44b60911879236fad4ab9edc.jpg

Yes, they are so characterful. I just wish each had individual rules, and I really, really would have wanted the rolling pin to have been utterly destructive for the lolz.

Edited by Kyriakin

2 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

Another thing is that with their 6" pile-in (with rend to boot), Yhetees offer something interesting mechanically that isn't typical for an army of big, strong dudes. It becomes more like a dance, rather than just "get in there, bish-bosh".

They are less than 10 points per wound too, so are both underrated and fun.

While Skal is overpriced (although less so now), the ability to pop-up anywhere with your Hunter and cats is again provides a different dimension from the "run up and smash 'em, lads".

I know HeyWoah gives him a bit of stick by calling him the "gingerbread man" - due to his slightly unnatural arm position - but there are far worse sculpts out there

I agree that in terms of rules they add a lot of uniqueness to the faction, and I’ll be disappointed if their gone. 

However, I’m running counts as and custom version of all three of those units and it seems fairly common to other people as well. I don’t imagine they’re selling very many of them and the finecast nature would have always put them at risk. 

Edited by AthlorianStoners

17 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

However, I’m running counts as and custom version of all three of those units and it seems fairly common to their people as well. I don’t imagine they’re selling vey many of them and the die cast nature would have always put them at risk. 

If that's the rationale, Soulblight are screwed lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

If that's the rationale, Soulblight are screwed lol

I mean... they're an allegiance ability and one plastic hero and one plastic unit. I doubt they're long for this world as a "faction", even if the individual models last.

Edited by LeSwordfish

3 hours ago, michu said:

And @Kurrilino remember that Tzeentch already has plastic mortals -Kairic Acolytes. So your argument is faulty - Tzeentch can't get Slaanesh treatment as it already was updated for AoS with mortals.

We didn't have a single dedicated mortal unit like Slaanesh's Hellstriders though so from the human mortal perspective it's even now. We did get dedicated Beastmen however but I wouldn't count them towards the human mortal aspect - ideally new Chaos Warriors/Chosen would be "clean" enough to fit right into Slaanesh and Tzeentch armies as Nurgle and Khorne have dedicated "Chaos Warriors" anyways.

Honestly you just have to look at how many mortals Khorne has to see that GW has no problem adding mortal followers to the various Chaos Gods. It's just that Khorne got to have a lions share of them. Nurgle also has quite a few, but the blessings of Father Nurgle tend to make most things rather rotted and teh line between demon and mortal is very blurry (and bubbly and puss filled and oozing maggots)

Let’s be honest. We will be ok for now if they release reworked WoC and Marauder kits, to fit into god specific armies, but at some point we do need a few god specific models. I’d say Slaanesh Warriors and nudes, Tzeentch Warriors, Nurgle nudes and beastmen for everyone except Tzeentch.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Lernaean said:

Let’s be honest. We will be ok for now if they release reworked WoC and Marauder kits, to fit into god specific armies, but at some point we do need a few god specific models. I’d say Slaanesh Warriors and nudes, Tzeentch Warriors, Nurgle nudes and beastmen for everyone except Tzeentch.

Nudes? 🥴

• Haha 1

Honestly I'd rather see GW just drop the generic marauder troop kit and replace it with the Warcry Warbands - that would seem to be the perfect natural home for them. Then have it that one allegiance ability is "cultist - all cultist units can be marked with a single god mark from one of the four chaos gods or have a generic mark toward chaos". Ergo replacing the "mark" text on all warscrolls with the keyword and a single entry in the Battletome. 

Mounted Marauders might stand out a bit then, but their kit doesn't look as bad as the infantry and who knows perhaps one of the next expansions to Warcry IS mounted units! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I hope that The BCR finecast stay around. Losing the Hunter, Sabre’s, Yhetees (and the gorgers) gets rid of a lot of character and variation. 

You might get a new hunter model through BeastGrave - Hastings mentioned an Ogre Hunter as a possible war band [although his list missed BoC and Wanderers turned out to be Kurnothi]. Still possible  and what I'd hope GW would use Underworlds fro -to expand ranges. 

• Like 2

I think GW will just do away with the concept of generic and replace it with Warbands which are broadly generic with a few specific flavours; representing either a player taking a single warband influenced Slaves force or taking a "chaos undivided" block with warbands from different groups working together under a Chaos General, supported by the powerful Chaos Warrior elite. 

55 minutes ago, silverstu said:

You might get a new hunter model through BeastGrave - Hastings mentioned an Ogre Hunter as a possible war band [although his list missed BoC and Wanderers turned out to be Kurnothi]. Still possible  and what I'd hope GW would use Underworlds fro -to expand ranges. 

That would work extremely well. A hunter and two sabretusks/hunting animals on two sprues. It would be about the same 'mass' of plastic as the other warbands and would offer some interesting command-based stuff for Underworlds along with potential harpoon crossbow tricks and a suitably wild/bestial/Ghur-ish focus. Then it gets released without the cards a month or two later as a kit for the Mawtribes. Boom, two resin SKUs replaced with a single multi-system plastic kit.Might be too sensible though...

4 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

He was the model that first sold me on the Ogre Kingdoms when I saw a blurry cameraphone photo when they were being released. I agree about the pose, I've cooled on it a bit, but the central conceit and a lot of the details are great.

Edited by sandlemad

55 minutes ago, silverstu said:

That would be awesome. I can only hope they do this, I’d be so stoked.

There is a stormcast helmet on te new ogre tyrants trophy rack. Could there be more ogre models incoming? 

Could also be related to the cut of heads with crowns we’ve seen before. 

Then again, a head/helmet is a pretty familiair trophy wich could be a lot of models from different races.