The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Qrow said:

They might release a new skaven model as the anniversary model for 2020, but with the skaven battletome just being released I wouldn't hold my breath for anything big

This. I don’t think Skaven have ever had it so good, we must be rock bottom of the queue for new stuff. 

1 hour ago, Qrow said:

They might release a new skaven model as the anniversary model for 2020, but with the skaven battletome just being released I wouldn't hold my breath for anything big

I think at best they could get a plastic version of an existing hero like with the Squig loonboss in Looncurse, but I don’t think they get update or new models until they are in line for a new battletome which may not happen until AoS 3.0

I disagree with the notion that Skaven are not gonna get anything next year. I'm not saying that they will 100% get something but this whole "they already got btome" or worse "they're op already no need for new stuff" is a load of bulldung. LoN got battletome last year, and only couple months after they received new models through nighthaunt. Stormcast have gotten new models and book every year basically (yes yes I know, space marines and all that but still). Chaos space marines received new models 1,5 years after their codex release. Who is to say that gw couldn't make clan skryre btome with fully updated skryre range and some new stuff? Obviously that wouldn't massively help mixed skaven lists but some of the updated models could still be used. They could also release new boxed sets with new models or campaign book that comes with new models. 

Again, I don't claim to possess some inside knowledge of gw's doings and future release but the fact is, neither does anyone else here. Gw do what they do, skaven still have pretty horrid old model range in dire need for update so I wouldn't be surprised at all if gw decided to make them the stars of "year of rat". It should also be noted that much like most of 40k 8th ed. codices, aos 2nd ed. Btomes are still mostly rush jobs to get every faction playable so what gw does after all btomes are out is still a mystery.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, alghero81 said:

The new painting app is out, couple of bugs aside it is looking really good!

And it’s telling me I need basically every contrast paint existing to finish my projects lol

They renamed the existing app. It seems almost identical, with new paints added.  For the contrast  model guides it seems they just did a 1:1 translation from citadel base paints to contrast paints, and then no one bothered to check to see if it made sense:
Vulkite Berzerker:
Paint the skin: Guilliman Flesh
Paint the copper: Fyreslayer Flesh
Funny / Lazy. 

Well I’m not sure @sorokyl maybe some colours do not reflect the actual usage... I never used bestifor flesh on a bestigor...

And skeleton horde I saw it used mostly on white capes and clothes...

Inventory was available also in the previous version and it’s essential to keep track of what you have, exactly for the same reasons described in the community article.

Anyway need to find some paints and then I’ll give it a try following the new app. What concerns me is that there’s not many new miniatures and many of the old have not been converted and the filters do not work well :)

6 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

This. I don’t think Skaven have ever had it so good, we must be rock bottom of the queue for new stuff. 

I don't know man I reckon Beastmen/ Beasts of Chaos might have it just as bad if not worse. I'm hoping that both of these armies get some love model wise in the next couple years.

Edited by Dirtnaps
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dirtnaps said:

I don't know man I reckon Beastmen/ Beasts of Chaos might have it just as bad if not worse. I'm hoping that both of these armies get some love model wise in the next couple years.

Yeah, and with the rate GW are going at the moment I reckon we’ll find 2-3 years being the right kind of timeframe for updates etc. It was more a response to people hoping we’ll be getting new plastics 6 months after a new Tome and Endless Spells. I’d rather any factions other than Skaven got updates in the next year or so tbh, it’s much better for the game. Share the love and all that. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Well the part I found most interesting about the new GHB was that they claimed it would serve us for years to come. Might this one stay for several years instead of only 1?

Probably referring to the new rules for Meeting engagements (1k point battles), and probably the narrative/open play rules and any battleplans that are included. 

13 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Well the part I found most interesting about the new GHB was that they claimed it would serve us for years to come. Might this one stay for several years instead of only 1?

Well, now the points are in a separate book, they only have to print the points next year if they want - or even every 6 months.  £10 every 6 to 12 months  wouldn't be so bad.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

I've got a hunch that this is why matched play points are included in a separate booklet, so they can be updated as needed and the GHB itself can take a fallow year or two.

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

I've got a hunch that this is why matched play points are included in a separate booklet, so they can be updated as needed and the GHB itself can take a fallow year or two.

I don't think GW will speed up the point updating, what I think they will do instead is use the two book format going forward.

One book becomes like a rules expansion to the core game, providing content that remains viable and valid for at the very least the duration of the rules edition. So thinks like mercenaries and such becoming mainsteam. 

The second book is the points change sheet which basically goes out of date every year. 

This way gamers feel better when buying the GHB because the GHB as a total isn't a "waste", instead only the smaller points part is; the rest is a long term investment (long term being the length of the edition at the very least). It increase the value of the product by simply splitting it into two distinct but related parts rather than players complaining of having several books of which one part is out of date all the time.

14 minutes ago, Overread said:

I don't think GW will speed up the point updating, what I think they will do instead is use the two book format going forward.

All the 40k and AoS players I know voted for point updates every 3 months.

seperating the booklet is a strong hint towards quicker point updates.

imo GW does not care if a part of the GHB was deprecated rather quickly If they updated the GHB every year anyway.

Additionally one could expect that they will remove matched play points from the coming Battletomes, so these stay up-to-date even if point changes appear. Adding new units also gets easier. Eventually all the matched play points might be handled by the booklet. (/Digital booklet updates) this way they would tackle  a big issue of AoS: the decentralization of rules.

• Like 3

Considering the print and production times I don't think GW could have split the book based on teh survey results that fast. 

The depreciation is important because GW wants to sell you a GHB rather than have you just glance over your friends for the 4 or so point updates that it has within it. In fact a separate "book" of points adjustments would be very hard for GW to sell on its own I think. Generally speaking point updates are not vast things for most armies, its a few adjustments here and there and if people are using apps to build armies any way chances are they won't want the book. So splitting it off into its own thing might not result in them selling one more and more each part of the year.

More points updates is different to wanting to buy more points updates. 

I can't see GW removing matched play points from the Battletome. Battletomes are designed as single purchase that presents the army in its entirety to use by the new gamer. Updated points aren't an issue for the beginner, having them is. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Overread said:

More points updates is different to wanting to buy more points updates

No one said they‘re selling it.

to me it seems like a useful gimmick they can put into a white dwarf or offer as free download. It‘s just too practical (while also being a easy hype-generator and helping them to fix Battletome corpses quicker).

I agree that they cannot have included the survey in the split due to their production times. Though this split into two books might serve them very well. - I see a lot of potential in this though, knowing GW, I am not sure they will use this potential to their benefit.

Edited by JackStreicher

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Each GHB does NOT replace the previous one, generally only the points change (maybe some tweaks to the allegiance abilities). Each GHB adds new stuff

• Like 2