Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IneptusAstartes

Reproduction (aka Where Does The Pollen Go?)

33 minutes ago, DarkWingDuck said:

Although I agree with you, that Greenskins are fungus based across all of the various GW games, there are some "female" (maybe?) Orc cheerleaders in Blood Bowl.

Well, Greenskins are fungus based in 40k and 40k-affiliated games.  There's never been anything (that I can recall) that stuck that to any flavour of Fantasy at any point.  Other than out of the mouths of 40k players dipping their toes in fantasy games.

Maybe they now went along the fungus thing as in 40k, but in the Old World fluff, it is not clearly explained. They appear to be tied to the Old Ones, either as a failed creation or introduced by error/accident in some way. Saurus warriors were then created to erradicate them (looks like they failed!).

That reminds me of something.... would be cool to have the Old Ones mentioned or have a comeback! I think the current setting is quite optimal for such thing.

2 hours ago, VBS said:

Maybe they now went along the fungus thing as in 40k, but in the Old World fluff, it is not clearly explained. They appear to be tied to the Old Ones, either as a failed creation or introduced by error/accident in some way. Saurus warriors were then created to erradicate them (looks like they failed!).

That reminds me of something.... would be cool to have the Old Ones mentioned or have a comeback! I think the current setting is quite optimal for such thing.

Skarsnik is very very clear, that in the Old World, Greenskins are fungus based. Prior to Skarsnik, they imply it (similar to how the Gloomspite Battletome implies it), but never outright state one way or the other (the Blood Bowl cheerleaders suggest the opposite though ... but Blood Bowl is a bit odd/loose with the fluff ... and those could also be cross dressing orcs ... hmm ... can you even cross dress if you don't have a gender?).

I could have sworn that one of the old Orc & Goblin Army Books has a bit where the Greenskins "fall from the sky" into the Darklands and that the Slaan hate them because they aren't in any of their prophecies. They are an unexpected nuisance.

I always thought that the fluff writers missed a beat when writing about Greenskins in the End Times/Age of Myth. Greenskins have a whole "duality" thing going on (what with Orcs & Goblins, Gork & Mork), that could've been threaded through the Greenskin's fate. Wurzag, Da Great Green Prophet,  should have been plagued with two competing visions, "A Waagh to End All Waaghs!!!" vs. "An Unending Waagh!!!" When he realized he was searching for 2 champions (one for Gork, one for Mork), he should have had a "Why not both!" moment. Wurrzag would then set Grimgor Ironhide to follow his wyrd to conquer the East and ultimately fight Archaon (i.e. "A Waagh to End All Waaghs!!!") Skarsnik, on the other hand, would have been instrumental in introducing Greenskins to the Mortal Realms (like the Old World ... they shouldn't have been native). In the throws of his depression at the loss of Gobbla and subtly guided by Mork (cunningly brutal remember), he should have modified the dud Skaven bomb and detonated it. Through the magic of mcguffins (i.e. so powerful it tears a hole through space and time) it would blast Skarsnik's horde to the Age of Myth Mortal Realms (i.e. "An Unending Waagh!!!"). Gork charges into the big brawl, while Mork makes sure Greenskins live to fight another day. Skarsnik doesn't get the "lame" ending he got, while it plays to the cyclical nature of events that was a theme running through all of the End Times stories.