Warcry is Killteam/Mordheim... ?

eekamouse

5 hours ago, Ritschi said:

I'm also not sure about the Akehlians. On one side, only the Namarti are not enough options. Namarti have no weapon options, only the standard bearer. so it would be literally 2 options/models for the hole warband. 
On the other side, eal riders are to much. perfect would be to have the akhelian's on foot. morsarr with spears, ishaen with swords and shield and allopexes rider with crossbow. than the 2 namarti options. you would have 5 options insted. + upgrades to champion, etc. 

But I don't think we really will got this options, because der are no unrided akhelian Versions in the normal AoS, so Gw "had" to release a ne box if they like to do that. I know build yourself and convert. no problem for me, but GW isn't writing rules without miniatures anymore.

I don't think the eels are going to be that much of an issue, from what we've seen from the Iron Golems they don't have the same statline as they would in AoS. For sure they will be powerful but I think the points cost will balance them out, my guess is you'll only be able to have two or three depending on if they're Ishlean or Morrsar in a 1000pt game since they've said that a single box will usually give you enough points for it. Depending on the how the battleplans play out I think we'll be more likely to see mixed lists with maybe one eel as probably the leader and a bunch of namarti.

5 hours ago, CitizenX said:

I am digging the initiative system. You're basically trading off being able to go first vs using more powerful special abilities. Hopefully some of the warbands have abilities that let them shift dice or give them some choice there. 

I heard from another source that there will be the option of having a wild-card die that you can use as any face to help power up your dubs, trips or quads abilities, these can get saved up and used in later rounds instead, so they're a little like command points in that way.

5 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

Okay, so that answers how the abilities work. now I want to know about the basic attack system. I like this system a lot. it was confusing for me to start, but actually rolling dice and measuring out how it would work is actually fairly intuitive.

The basic attack system is you roll dice equal to your model's chosen weapon's attacks and compare the strength to the target's toughness.

It's 4+ to wound if even, 3+ if S is higher, 5+ if T is higher. There is no 'to hit' roll nor is there an armour save. If you roll 6s, you do the second larger amount of damage.

When a model runs out of HP, it's taken out (removed from play). There is no flesh wound or 'down' mechanic.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wander said:

The basic attack system is you roll dice equal to your model's chosen weapon's attacks and compare the strength to the target's toughness.

It's 4+ to wound if even, 3+ if S is higher, 5+ if T is higher. There is no 'to hit' roll nor is there an armour save. If you roll 6s, you do the second larger amount of damage.

When a model runs out of HP, it's taken out (removed from play). There is no flesh wound or 'down' mechanic.

where did you find this out? I was counting on there being some sort of to hit roll and to wound roll.

Also, "We are his chosen?" does this confirm plastic chosen? 😉

Edited by Acid_Nine

The attack thing, someone posted on 4chan's /tg/ a pic of the attack phase rules that I'm guessing is the same book those preview images of the two new warbands hails from. I didn't save the image to post here, sorry.

I guess number of attacks rolled is how adept someone is with their weapon, and armour is rolled into Toughness and Hit Points.

It'll be rare still to take out an enemy in one go, on average you're going to do around 2 damage per attack (2 out of 4 attacks wounding at 1 damage each) on an enemy and they start at around 10 HP and go up, that's not even factoring and mathhammering Toughness vs Strength into it.

I predict you'll want to consider a high attack number and then min multi-damage over higher Str, as even if those two Ogor attacks at S6 slap a T3 model, it's still 3+ to land damage (same as a S4 attack would do) for each of that pair and as it does 4 damage minimum, just one reduces a 10HP model down to 6hp.

Oh, this is also just basic attacks, not factoring in the abilities you can use the Initiative dice on.

• Thanks 1

I was really planning on buying the starter set ( that terrain 😍), and could already feel the buyer’s remorse from spending that amount, considering I  have a lot of grey minis and don’t get to play often...

Then I realized I already have  stormcast and nighthaunt warbands; I can just get the book and cards and play them, using count as if needed. I’ll probably do that and get the starter set when I have more money and time 😀

13 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Cross posting from the rumour thread, speculate away:

Ii5pvAy.png

GW: Warcry is about close quarters melee combat

Also GW: Only lets SCE use ranged units

They must be really, really desperate to move Vanguard boxes, they've been pushing them hard lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Technically the Savage orruks have arrowboyz so they've got range and melusai have ranged attacks too. The table is confusing because it lists models by unit creature type rather than as boxed models. Eg Daughters of Khaine have 3 listed, but of those three two have alternate forms (Khinerai and Melusai) and whilst witch aelves are a single type they might well mean the boxed set rather than the unit, so that would give them 6 total options. 

1 hour ago, novakai said:

I would think if Akelian guard made it in stuff like Boarboyz or hexwraith would have been ok.

which makes me doubt the list a bit

True, but it could also be based off of model availability? but then again the Bone splitters don't have a lot of variation either. I have my fingers crossed though!

6 hours ago, kuroyume said:

GW: Warcry is about close quarters melee combat

Also GW: Only lets SCE use ranged units

They must be really, really desperate to move Vanguard boxes, they've been pushing them hard lately.

Well they were the first shooting underworlds warband as well. So there is kind of precedent there. Also looking at the range of models. Vanguard fit the bill perfectly in my mind. Far more that say liberators that only get send out in groups or paladins who are far to elite. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

True, but it could also be based off of model availability? but then again the Bone splitters don't have a lot of variation either. I have my fingers crossed though!

That Bonesplitterz box makes 3 standard troops (Savage Orruks/Morboyz/Arrowboyz) plus leader, musician and standard bearer plus the Big Stabbas. 

So there is at least seven options just from that box plus they might be able to squeeze out a few other variations somehow

• Like 3

From the rules leak: "page 80-151 goes hand in hand with the narrative play section." Can't wait to find more out on this. I was looking forward to a strong narrative component. This really looks like it's going to be what I hoped it would. For me the only minor is the fact that a lot comes down to what you roll with the dice. Rolling quad sixes looks like it will win games. But that's the nature of games workshop games I guess.

Goin through the leaked rules, and Warcry works a whole lot like Meeting Engagements. Warbands are split into 3 groups and deployed in staggered waves.

I can't tell what comes first but I'd say the team at GW are fond of the new concept. Which is good, because so am I!

• Like 3

Already thinking of how to design my warband. The Untamed Beasts warband checks out at 1000 pts exactly. If I drop one of the youngblood-type fighters, I can upgrade one 2h-fighter to be a spearthrower-dude instead. Or I can skip all 3 of the youngbloods to get two 2handers and two hunters. Hmmm...!