AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

12 minutes ago, Caladancid said:

The only problem (I mean having more squig isn't really a problem) to having six units of bounders/hoppers is that it gets quite expensive points wise, and pretty much would freeze you out of using the Squigalanche (where in total I think you need two manglers and one loonboss on mangler in addition to the bouncers).  Unless you go minimum size for a few of those units. 

I dont think ill use the Squigalanche. Its very random to get off as the badmoon moon must shining on your units to get the 6" pile n, im going to stick with the squig stampede. 1120pts for 40 hoppers and 20 bounders for a total of 120 wounds. Not bad! Now i could skim down the amount of hoppers to just 2 units of 15 and have the bounders as a 15 and that will save me 280pts which is then a mangler squig instead. 

Im definitively going to take a colossal squig, 5d6 move and charge under the badmoon or squig lure and then +1 to wound from the Mangler Loon makes it even more of a beast! Just the 8 jaw attacks at 2+ 2+ rend 2 damage d3... mother of zog... 😍 with a 3" range too! getting all hot and bothered haha ;) then birthing 5 lil squigs when he dies, so cool!

*and he also gets the +3 to move from the Loonboss on Giant Squig, someone hold my drink im getting weak in the knees! 🤣 

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

I dont think ill use the Squigalanche. Its very random to get off as the badmoon moon must shining on your units to get the 6" pile n, im going to stick with the squig stampede. 1120pts for 40 hoppers and 20 bounders for a total of 120 wounds. Not bad! Now i could skim down the amount of hoppers to just 2 units of 15 and have the bounders as a 15 and that will save me 280pts which is then a mangler squig instead. 

Im definitively going to take a colossal squig, 5d6 move and charge under the badmoon or squig lure and then +1 to wound from the Mangler Loon makes it even more of a beast! Just the 8 jaw attacks at 2+ 2+ rend 2 damage d3... mother of zog... 😍 with a 3" range too! getting all hot and bothered haha ;) then birthing 5 lil squigs when he dies, so cool!

*and he also gets the +3 to move from the Loonboss on Giant Squig, someone hold my drink im getting weak in the knees! 🤣 

Haha yes we are spoiled for squigs.

The points are going to be tricky though! In that scenario above, you are spending 1120 just for the stampede, plus whatever the stampede costs, then the mandatory 300 for the loonboss on mangler (I assume you will take that vs the giant cave squig) to unlock bouncers as core!

1 minute ago, Caladancid said:

Haha yes we are spoiled for squigs.

The points are going to be tricky though! In that scenario above, you are spending 1120 just for the stampede, plus whatever the stampede costs, then the mandatory 300 for the loonboss on mangler (I assume you will take that vs the giant cave squig) to unlock bouncers as core!

Both the Bosses unlock hoppers as battleline so you could pick which one youd want to be the general, the mangler boss is probably the better pick, tougher and the command traits best suit him. If you take units of 15 instead then altogther the battalion is 980pts. You could still stay at 10 per unit but they arent tough and in higher pt games they will just get slaughtered in small numbers. 

Even though its bit unwieldly, getting 10-15 hoppers bouncing over a unit gives about 5-7 MWs off the bat and then the 15 bounders will do another 7 on the charge. 14 MWs on average is quite mental, not many thinks can stand up against that. Most monsters would be dead, most 5 man elite squads would be close to dead, characters flattened, hordes vastly thinned.

Its like having a bunch of mawcrushas hopping about. This is what im liking about the squigs so far, they can deal with any target effectively even before they even swing. You just have to gang up on units which is how Gobbos like it! We dont play fair!

• LOVE IT! 2

I would always roll my eyes when those damn Deepkin Eels would charge into something and zzap it to zog or see Invocators do the same and they just annhilate something more expensive and deadly than themselves.... now the squigs will have there time in the sun! (when its nice and cloudy outside of course) Invincible Treelord Ancient with a 2+ rerollable no problem, stardrake who cares, mawcrusha with ironclad the squigs will show him destructive bulk, Eels ignoring our rend pitty your gonna get flattened! Also it ignores any penalties to hit or wound people might be using so yea i think squigs are one of teh best things in the new book. 

9 minutes ago, 5kaven5lave said:

So for Stabbas, weapon wise:

Stabbas for units of 20?

Spears for 40/60?

Any thoughts on banners? I was thinking Bad Moon for any unit I know would be camped near the Shrine? I guess in 40/60 you can have both. 

Might aswell take 40 grots and both banners and spears. I would take one big unit with stabbas just to get all the +1 attack buffs and keep giving giving them other abilities so they become your little mob of death.

17 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Even though the whole thread was pointless, greenskins have always been made from spores

I’ll put my old grognard hat on for a moment and inform you that is not correct.

The fluff that orks are part fungoid and actually come from spores originated in the GorkaMorka offshoot of the 40k universe.  They created that fluff to give a good & simple foundation for that game since the Ork civilization were the survivors of a crashed space hulk.

Then they brought that fluff into 40k when they did a big rework of the orks and made them more bestial and less comical.  Prior to that the 2nd edition ork codex specifically explained that orks had a symbiotic algae in their blood that made the blood green and also caused their skin coloration.  In addition, that algae was primarily what gave them their resistance to pain and injury.

If you go farther back into the various Ork supplements in Rogue Trader such as Waaagh! Da Orks, Ere We Go, and Freebooterz, they had more explanation of Ork society.  Remember that 40k began life as a hybrid between a Role Playing Game and a Tabletop Wargame.  They spent a lot of effort on worldbuilding in Rogue Trader.  I assume that was partly due to the RPG roots, partly due to help make it more than simply Warhammer Fantasy in space (which is pretty much how it began), and partly because it was a new setting and needed a lot of worldbuilding up front.  There are a few scant references in those old Ork books to female orks and reproduction which was described more like pig/wolf litters, but it was still quite vague.

In my recollection Fantasy never made an attempt to tackle this topic at all in the older editions.  They simply did not bother to mention it at all.  My fantasy experience only goes back to 4th edition and I don’t have any books older than that.  It may be the case that they described Orc reproduction in older editions or possibly in the RPG materials when Warhammer Fantasy was still just an RPG setting and not a battles war game.  It might also have been in an old White Dwarf.  Or they could just have taken the Tolkien/D&D route back then and not bother with that sort of thing.

Fantasy eventually brought back the Slaan in 5th editions when they created the Lizardman and started up the Old Ones story.  But even then they did not tie the Orcs/Orks to the Old Ones and that edition predates the invention of the Spore-birth fluff.  They started to slowly flesh out the Old Ones story between 6th to 8th edition and it was during that time that the definitively said Orcs came from spores.  But there was a large limbo period where they did not reconcile that between 40k and Fantasy.

For Age of Sigmar I have not seen definite fluff that continues or disclaims that Orruks come from spores.  If they have continued that in AoS then I would be interested to go read it - so if anyone can point me to it I would appreciate it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

13 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I’ll put my old grognard hat on for a moment and inform you that is not correct.

The fluff that orks are part fungoid and actually come from spores originated in the GorkaMorka offshoot of the 40k universe.  They created that fluff to give a good & simple foundation for that game since the Ork civilization were the survivors of a crashed space hulk.

Then they brought that fluff into 40k when they did a big rework of the orks and made them more bestial and less comical.  Prior to that the 2nd edition ork codex specifically explained that orks had a symbiotic algae in their blood that made the blood green and also caused their skin coloration.  In addition, that algae was primarily what gave them their resistance to pain and injury.

If you go farther back into the various Ork supplements in Rogue Trader such as Waaagh! Da Orks, Ere We Go, and Freebooterz, they had more explanation of Ork society.  Remember that 40k began life as a hybrid between a Role Playing Game and a Tabletop Wargame.  They spent a lot of effort on worldbuilding in Rogue Trader.  I assume that was partly due to the RPG roots, partly due to help make it more than simply Warhammer Fantasy in space (which is pretty much how it began), and partly because it was a new setting and needed a lot of worldbuilding up front.  There are a few scant references in those old Ork books to female orks and reproduction which was described more like pig/wolf litters, but it was still quite vague.

In my recollection Fantasy never made an attempt to tackle this topic at all in the older editions.  They simply did not bother to mention it at all.  My fantasy experience only goes back to 4th edition and I don’t have any books older than that.  It may be the case that they described Orc reproduction in older editions or possibly in the RPG materials when Warhammer Fantasy was still just an RPG setting and not a battles war game.  It might also have been in an old White Dwarf.  Or they could just have taken the Tolkien/D&D route back then and not bother with that sort of thing.

Fantasy eventually brought back the Slaan in 5th editions when they created the Lizardman and started up the Old Ones story.  But even then they did not tie the Orcs/Orks to the Old Ones and that edition predates the invention of the Spore-birth fluff.  They started to slowly flesh out the Old Ones story between 6th to 8th edition and it was during that time that the definitively said Orcs came from spores.  But there was a large limbo period where they did not reconcile that between 40k and Fantasy.

For Age of Sigmar I have not seen definite fluff that continues or disclaims that Orruks come from spores.  If they have continued that in AoS then I would be interested to go read it - so if anyone can point me to it I would appreciate it.

Nice write up. Always great to read about the old days. Regarding 40k I believe the most recent fluff was that the forefathers created the orks and eldar to fight the necrons and their gods.  

Im guessing they must have made some changes to the AK mounted Spider Bosses spell,I read were  there is an artifact for Skitterbosses that double the number of Mortals the venom inflicts.If they didnt change his "Gift of the Spider God spell,,then it would double the MW`s twice..this combined with being under the Bad Moon would be rather insane damage potential...of course,thats what the Moon sometime causes so theres that too....

Ahh ok,,looks like there is a spell in the new Spider lore with the same name as the one that was the AK Shaman`s ...though it heals d6 wounds to a friendly monster so thats probably what they did.

Edited by Thostos

5 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Would it be accurate to say that, when thinking of a decent list to build (and models to buy) it's going to be a battalion from one of the races and then the rest of the points will be masses of grots? 

Probably too soon to tell. I don’t play much competitively but I think only a few builds rely fully on a battalion now that their cost has mostly gone up. Gore Pilgrims comes to mind. I’ve always felt more models outweighs battalions in most cases unless they’re amazing.

• Thanks 1

Just to say, I believe it was the 6th edition o&g book that mentioned small/juvenile orcs crawl/appear from dung heaps in old orc camps, which reinforces the fungus idea.

Anyone got any idea of solid initial purchases? I need to test some schemes - usually don't go for the standard but cream robes I've done in the past are time consuming.

• LOVE IT! 1

36 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Would it be accurate to say that, when thinking of a decent list to build (and models to buy) it's going to be a battalion from one of the races and then the rest of the points will be masses of grots? 

I think there is definitely an argument for the second part.  You really need Grots to get something out of the Battle Traits, specifically the recycling chaff through the Shrine.

Other than novelty purposes, you really don't get much out of doing an all-Troggoth army.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turragor said:

I'd actually suspect it's going to be mostly theme then the battalion which lets you bring back one unit at full str with a unit of 60 stabbas and maybe a unit of 20.

That's the best way to get the most out of the shrine and put bodies/wounds on the board without spending to many points. Should come in at around 600 I think.

I was thinking about a list with the gobbapalooza and it occurred to me that they're going to severely limit how many other heroes I can take if they each count as a hero (they take up 5 out of 6 heroes at 2000 pts). Does anyone have a different take on this or am I right in thinking that gobbapalooza counts as 5 heroes?

EDIT: Nvm. Checked the warscroll and it does not contain the HERO keyword

Edited by Bolgan

2 minutes ago, Bolgan said:

I was thinking about a list with the gobbapalooza and it occurred to me that they're going to severely limit how many other heroes I can take if they each count as a hero (they take up 5 out of 6 heroes at 2000 pts). Does anyone have a different take on this or am I right in thinking that gobbapalooza counts as 5 heroes?

I'm curious to see if they count as separate wizards for the purpose of grabbing spell lores. I assume the battletome will say something about it.

From my understanding: 

- They are not Heroes, presumably so they don't cripple your Hero allocation

- They do have their own version of "Lookout Sir" on the Warscroll to make up for that

- They do not have access to the Spell Lore

- However a couple of them have excellent Warscroll spells

- They are quite expensive at 240 points

- They count as 1 drop each (they are 5 separate units but you have to take all of them)

- They have their own 110 point Batallion which would get the drops back down 

I like the look of them, they have some good utility.  240 points is not to be sniffed at though. 

I think you'd almost have to build a specific list around them, which would be a good fun exercise when you are looking for some variety.

1 hour ago, Bolgan said:

Isn't the Limit on LEADERS and not HEROES anyways?

There are a few models that are HEROES but not LEADERS....ok well I can only think of the Legion Black Coach but it counts. And then there was the awkwardness of Karanak being a LEADER but not a HERO....

Edited by kenshin620
  • Like 1

To build on what @PlasticCraic put.

They are amazing  for anyone looking to build a pure Moonclan list. Two are wizards with their own unique, and pretty sweet, spells while the other 3 are priests who provide buffs to a Moonclan unit. Works out at 60 points per none hero character.

The 110 battalion gives them +1 to their prayer/spells if they are wholly within 8" of another member of the battalion. I suspect the best way to use them is as a Mini detachment.

60 x Stabbas (360)
Gobbapalooza (240)
Gobbapalooza Battalion (110)

Points 710

Lets you stack the buffs on one big unit and really take advantage of the battalion.

Would be potentially amazing alongside either a Squig or Spiderfang force for a free Artefact/CP.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Isn't the Limit on LEADERS and not HEROES anyways?

There are a few models that are HEROES but not LEADERS....ok well I can only think of the Legion Black Coach but it counts. And then there was the awkwardness of Karanak being a LEADER but not a HERO....

This is technically correct, however they are also not Leaders.

Their Battlefield Roll is blank.

11 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

There are some old miniatures of orc townfolk from early 80's and those model had female orcs. Also half orcs where thing at 1st and 2nd, possible 3rd, too.

• Thanks 1

There’s more Lore in the book–we haven’t told you about the Goblinoid sky-city, which came about when an army of grots seized a Kharadron Overlords’ sky-city while it was docked and has swarmed its surfaces ever since–but the book is full of tons of stories like that, enough to satisfy any lore junkie.

Source: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2019/01/gloomspite-gitz-lore.html

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1