AoS 2.0 App Mistakes and Missing Things

Cerlin

When creating a new army list;  selecting the points level for matched play, the Point-Modifier doesnt change to match the selected Game Type. i.e. choose vanguard (2000pt) and the point modifier still shows 750, 1000 and 1250 pt options.   

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Runebrush, I'm in a similar profession.

I think it's important to highlight to people that mistakes happen when a team isn't resourced properly, and this certainly seems the case here. But the 'you only pay 99p so have no right to make demands' is absolutely the wrong attitude. 

If there is a paid service provided then there is a reasonable assumption that it will more or less work on delivery. The app was almost unusable over the weekend, and whilst the overreactions by some aren't needed, it's clearly not been a good roll-out. You are here to moderate chat, yet that sort of comment is a bit flamebaity. 

Looking at it from a tester POV, it looks like they were given the data late, and were rushed to input into the design framework in time. Hence the melee ranges having '20' instead of '2' and some rolls being '44+'. Sometimes, criticism is good as it helps the cause. If I was in that development team, I'd be showing the comments as justification for more people and time. 

4 minutes ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Runebrush, I'm in a similar profession.

I think it's important to highlight to people that mistakes happen when a team isn't resourced properly, and this certainly seems the case here. But the 'you only pay 99p so have no right to make demands' is absolutely the wrong attitude. 

If there is a paid service provided then there is a reasonable assumption that it will more or less work on delivery. The app was almost unusable over the weekend, and whilst the overreactions by some aren't needed, it's clearly not been a good roll-out. You are here to moderate chat, yet that sort of comment is a bit flamebaity. 

Looking at it from a tester POV, it looks like they were given the data late, and were rushed to input into the design framework in time. Hence the melee ranges having '20' instead of '2' and some rolls being '44+'. Sometimes, criticism is good as it helps the cause. If I was in that development team, I'd be showing the comments as justification for more people and time. 

I'm sitting on the fence here, because I can see the reason to be constructive without being too whingey (as it gets you nowhere) tempered with a wider view of what the app represents. It has been rolled out at the same time as AoS 2.0, a fanfare from GW with a gush of releases in models and books etc. It's been well marketed and publicised and has had hobbyists falling over themselves in anticipation. And the odd typo here and there is not reason to throw one's dice out of the pram.

But it ain't just the odd typo, is it?

I think Runebrush is right to apply a practical, moderate approach, but I agree with Thebiggesthat there is a reason to complain, and that it has been rushed - again - maybe not resourced properly, and certainly without quality review. It's not just that the app is only 99p when it works, but the content drives the playing of the game. GW stresses these are the warscrolls for the latest edition, eliminating previous versions, like it is doctrine. To then bodge that, means much frustration to the players who are always told these are 'the warscrolls for the latest edition,' ad nauseam.

It's careless.

Yes, they are human beings, and perhaps they aren't being paid enough to provide the accuracy they should. So I don't think this is the responsibility of the writers and apps designers, but of GW themselves. As a business, you get what you pay for.

But that should apply to the customers too, who are spending a lot of money on what is a premium hobby. No matter what a handful of gamers here think, this IS an expensive game. You can have a handsome holiday for the price of a reasonable sized army, and while this is about collecting, painting etc (and for me, that's a big part of it), the game-playing is the axis the hobby rotates on. Getting that wrong shines a light on cost, time invested, and all the other things that hobbyists aren't careless over.

And if bringing shoddy, untested product hits their profits, alienating gamers, then GW only have themselves to blame. Raising this on a forum, which GW may or may not be reading, is a good way of providing customer feedback (in this case dissatisfaction) and businesses that don't read such things do so at their peril in my experience.

I don't think its really fair to dismiss people's gripes with the app on the basis that it's just 99p a month - you can buy rule books etc through the app, so people could potentially have sunk substantially more than £12 a year into the app. 

Whilst several warscrolls have some stupid mistakes on them, the main problem I'm having is that the Azyr/armybuilding bit is broken to the point of being unusable. Whereaas before there were a few odd units that didn't appear in the right section for whatever reason, there are now more things wrong than right with it. Just trying to build a basic chaos force ran into all sorts of issues - units not being allowed certain upgrades, units not showing up in the right section, disappearing and reappearing from the battleline section... It's an absolute mess, and shouldn't have been released in that state.

As I have been ciritized for only saying negative stuff,  here is the positive  first:

The app looks ok (although I personally don't like the change from dark to bright), and I like how I can input certain keywords, like "wizard" or "daemon" into the search field and get all the wizards  or daemons of all factions. I can also input "Seraphon" instead of clicking the filter menu to get all units of my army. I wish they expanded that a bit more, to search not only keywords but also ability names, that would be nice IMO (for example if I don't remember how the unit casting "curse of fates" is called).

Anyway, here is the things I noticed (in addition to the one I reported earlier)

I noticed that the scenery rules seem to be missing.
Also: the style is a bit f'ed up sometimes, with words cut off (like Damage in the weapon profiles), but mostly ok.

That's a good point, Aginor, I didn't realise that. It was something I really wanted from the previous version and I'm glad they've added it in now.

I think there are some really great changes to the app. Once it's fixed, it'll be a big step up from the previous one. 

Oh another thing I noticed:

They should probably get rid of the "Times New Roman"-like font for the weapon profiles. They use Arial (or Verdana, something like that ) for everything else (ok, far from everything) and it works fine.

1 hour ago, Thebiggesthat said:

Apologies everyone, I missed the word "Unreasonable" in my comment, which I've added in.  I'd actually say that we should be making requests rather than demands, but that's me being a bit pedantic over wording :)

You are here to moderate chat, yet that sort of comment is a bit flamebaity. 

I'm going to be honest and say that this comment has really knocked the wind out of my sails.  I didn't realise that becoming a mod meant that I had to stop being a contributor to the community?  Whenever any of the moderators put their "mod hat" on, we make it really clear in the post that's what we've done.  This post was made in an attempt to help people think about what the problems are and feedback in a way that might actually help them be resolved, pulling on my own experiences within a similar environment.

Sometimes, criticism is good as it helps the cause.

Completely agree on this - but you're missing a keyword here (which was part of the point of my post) - we need to provide constructive criticism.  I've no idea if you get it in your job, but I know when I have one of the customer services team telling me "I've an angry customer on the phone who's saying it's not working", my first question is "what isn't working, please be specific".  I need emotionless facts rather than vague opinions to sort anything out.

Having done a bit of work in customer service, as much as people want their problem fixed, there is also the emotional aspect to consider- it's not necessarily logical (emotions rarely are), but people get angry when something paid for does not function as advertised, and what they want primarily is for someone official to acknowledge that they are justified in that reaction. They can normally be very easily placated so long as that need is taken into consideration. Silence is almost never good PR.

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

I'm going to be honest and say that this comment has really knocked the wind out of my sails.  I didn't realise that becoming a mod meant that I had to stop being a contributor to the community?  Whenever any of the moderators put their "mod hat" on, we make it really clear in the post that's what we've done.  This post was made in an attempt to help people think about what the problems are and feedback in a way that might actually help them be resolved, pulling on my own experiences within a similar environment.

Taken out of context it looks like I'm being harsh, but it was more the dismissive statement and the 'it's only 99p' thing that would wind people up. I appreciate you probably didn't mean it that way, especially as you missed a word out ?

As a data engineer/software developer I can say the issues stem from the fact they don't have a valid data management strategy.  If they had a common database full of all the profiles, then updating it there would update it across the board (generate new pdf's, web services for the app, etc).

At least that's what it appears looking in from the outside.  

I think the main problem is because this update is on the back of a huge change to the game itself it’s almost impossible to play a game right now.

Ok some of the mistakes like man eaters are obvious but some scrolls have old keywords and have additional rules or rules negated. There is no way to know if this is because the database is messed up or if this is how things are meant to be.

All this hype and build up for people still not being able to play AoS 2 fully. That’s the biggest issue.

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Just want to point out to everybody - If you have an issue with the App such as the Warscrolls being wrong or any suggestions for some cool features (such as a night mode), email gwapps@gwplc.com

@Cerlinhave you emailed this thread through? 

G

On 7/1/2018 at 6:58 AM, CJPT said:

Open and Narrative Play armies are capped at 4 heroes.

These errors aside, the app is *so* much better now.

Few more things:

- Can’t remove units from lists if you make a mistake.

- Ally lists for Khorne and Tzeentch are totally busted, but that seems like an all round issue.

- Slaughterbrute of Khorne has vanished, as has the Gaunt Summoner with Familiars.

I’ll reiterate: this is a BIG step forwards. But GW need to get on these issues sharpish or people are wasting their Aztr subscriptions on a broken list builder.

This is why i use the AoS warscroll builder on the community site....  cant be bothered with Azyr cos i have to wait for a iphone update....

On 6/30/2018 at 5:59 PM, syph0n said:

List of things I've spotted so far:

• No allies with Darkling Covens for Order Serpentis, Scourge Privateers, Daughters of Khaine (and I imagine Shadowblades, Idoneth). Works the other way around however when tested with Order Serpentis allying in. 
  • Bloodwrack Medusa spelt 'Blookwrack' 
  • Medusa picture wrong (Blood Sisters not Medusa)
  • Can't ally Stormcast Eternals for Order Serpentis etc as above
  • Missing named characters for Stormcast Eternals (eg: Vandus Hammerhand)

I've updated the errors that affected my armies following the update last night:

Characters like Vandus Hammerhand will be updated once the battletome is launched  if  you read the replies. 

2 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Another update...added the new Stormcast and Nighthaunt stuff. But...everytime I hit the Store button the app crashes. Every time lol so much for getting the battletomes 

Having the same issue on two different devices.

Archived