Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Yeah, I reckon Tempest’s Eye is the best city for your needs. Kharadron, Dispossessed and Ironweld is the most Dwarf factions of any city (apart from Hammerhal). The bonuses are actually really good! The move bonus will help Dwarves a lot, and +1 to saves protects you against alpha strikes.

Bonus points if you give an Unforged the Thermalrider Cloak. It’s an Aqshy relic, and Tempest’s Eye is in Aqshy. With a 12” move (4” base, 4” from the relic and 4” for having Fly in TE) on the first turn, he might actually be useful! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have any advise for a Anvilguard army with dwarfs+dark elves or dwarfs+dark elves+SCE.

i made some lists but I am not pleased so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For this interested, I'm making a thread about my ongoing Living City army at the following link.

It's all Slyvaneth for now but I'll be slowly adding aelves, duardin and Stormcast in the following months.

Sneak peak of Alarielle, my most recent model.

IMG_20181014_103438.jpg

  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2018 at 2:35 PM, JackStreicher said:

Do you have any advise for a Anvilguard army with dwarfs+dark elves or dwarfs+dark elves+SCE.

i made some lists but I am not pleased so far.

Well, since Anvilguard doesn't give you KO or Fyreslayers, so no Ships or Runesmiter Tunneling for speed, which Anvilguard does like. BUT, the classic duardin (Dispossessed) give you is a nice anvil. So, I would take a big block or three of Duardin (Warriors for cheap, Ironbreakers for tough, or Hammerers for hitting power) and just have them hold the back end/slowly advance forward. Then use your Dark Elves to advance quickly up the flanks and pincer the enemy against your anvil, allowing you to abuse Implacable March. So, units like Drakespawn Knights/Chariot, Dreadlord on Black Dragon, Dark Riders, or Executioners. Stormcast can fill in literally any roll, so season to taste with whatever; ranged would be the best thing they can offer, really, or magic if you don't like Sorceresses. Some Longstrike Crossbows, Judicators, Celestar Balistas and Knight Incantors are really solid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, flamingwalnut said:

Well, since Anvilguard doesn't give you KO or Fyreslayers, so no Ships or Runesmiter Tunneling for speed, which Anvilguard does like. BUT, the classic duardin (Dispossessed) give you is a nice anvil. So, I would take a big block or three of Duardin (Warriors for cheap, Ironbreakers for tough, or Hammerers for hitting power) and just have them hold the back end/slowly advance forward. Then use your Dark Elves to advance quickly up the flanks and pincer the enemy against your anvil, allowing you to abuse Implacable March. So, units like Drakespawn Knights/Chariot, Dreadlord on Black Dragon, Dark Riders, or Executioners. Stormcast can fill in literally any roll, so season to taste with whatever; ranged would be the best thing they can offer, really, or magic if you don't like Sorceresses. Some Longstrike Crossbows, Judicators, Celestar Balistas and Knight Incantors are really solid.

The biggest issue is the battleline section. The Darkling Coven Units (Dreadspears, Bleakswords and Darkshards) are incredibly bad and overcoats especially if you take the minimum size. Stormcasts only offer Liberators which suck as well. The best choice I found so far were longbeards with greatweapons and shield (I only have 20 models of them which is an issue).

Also my Model Range is limited since I refuse to buy the old fuckly dwarf warriors, so I have:

20 ironbreakers, 20 Longbeards, 10 Irondrakes, 10 Longbeards with shields which could prox ironbreakers. Also pretty much all former Darkelf units except the Dragon (which is also fuckly imo) and only 5 Drakespawn Knights. + I have a lot of Stormcasts, mostly Sacrosanct and Retributors.

 

about the units:

most old units are plainly too expensive:

Drakespawn Knights are also overcosted  by a lot while having zero punch. 

Sorceresses are pretty bad in this combo as well: They have a good Warscroll Spell but no command ability and no Defence or damage for 100 pts that‘s pretty bad (+40 pts and you get a Knight Incantor....).

I would have loved to take a Wardenking (and I did in the first few matches) but that guy is 20 pts too expensive (though he works well with ironbreakers).

irondrakes are the only unit that ever does anything which is why I like to field them.

overall the whole Battleline Section is a useless mess that eats points you‘d need for ironbreakers etc. which poses by far the largest issue.

the Dark elf elite units are nice but absurdly expensive so you mostly can only fit in either 10 Black Guard or 10 Executioners since I usually tend to bring 10+ Irondrakes to shoot whatever my ironbreakers bound in combat.

.... and if you want this army to work youwould need the Soulsnare Shackles and/or the Prismatic Palisade with 2+ mages.

 

sadly the campaign we‘re playing requires 4 Battleline Units at 2k points.. -_-

In the attachment are two lists I came up with:

 

Anvilguard%20%32k.pdf

or

 

Allegiance: Anvilgard
Sorceress (100)
Warden King (120)
- General
Knight-Incantor (140)
30 x Bleakswords (300)
30 x Darkshards (300)
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Axes or Hammers
10 x Longbeards (100)
- Axes or Hammers
10 x Executioners (160)
10 x Black Guard (140)
20 x Irondrakes (360)
5 x Drakespawn Knights (140)
Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 145
 

[\Spoiler]

Edited by JackStreicher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Spears Sadly, yes, if you go Grand Alliance Order, which was their design. Hammerhal is the only box with pure battleline. You could keep adding Scourge Privateers till you are able to use their (non-existant) allegiance...

@Hannibal Hallowheart and Hammerhal. Hallowheart is the anti-magic one, Hammerhal is the generic leadership buff one.

Edited by flamingwalnut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quick question:  is it possible to add a Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix as a allie to a living city?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DmcZwerg said:

quick question:  is it possible to add a Anointed Of Asuryan On Frostheart Phoenix as a allie to a living city?

I think you cannot take allies as a free city since you technically are a GA army with some funny restrictions? And GA can't take allies?

 

But I could be very wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, you can't take allies as you have no ally list to work with. Plus, the cities work a bit funny and rather than being allegiances themselves are more of a case of "when you have finished building an army that fits X, Y and Z requirements, you can use this rule as well" meaning you'd pick allies before the city and thus disqualify yourself from taking the city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for a probably obvious quistion but I can't find it. Was this ever FAQ'ed? Otherwise i'm always taking living city with my dispossessed against Sylvaneth and filling their Forests in the first turn 😂 

1225652856_ScreenShot2018-12-05at13_07_25.png.86c42aaa43471ca6d12506a5c82e39b5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Sorry for a probably obvious quistion but I can't find it. Was this ever FAQ'ed? Otherwise i'm always taking living city with my dispossessed against Sylvaneth and filling their Forests in the first turn 😂 

1225652856_ScreenShot2018-12-05at13_07_25.png.86c42aaa43471ca6d12506a5c82e39b5.png

Yeah it got FAQ'd so you only get Grand Alliance abilities plus the Firestorm abilities. Should be on the community site under the Firestorm book FAQ :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! I've been primarily a KO player for the past year or so, and thought about trying out Tempest Eye as a change of pace (and because I have a lot of Dispossessed models that I've never used in AoS). What do people think of this list?

Allegiance: Order

City: Tempest Eye

  • Runelord
    • General
    • Inspiring
  • Aether-Khemist
    • Gryph-Feather Charm
  • Knight-Incantor
  • Knight-Azyros
  • 40 Dispossessed Warriors
    • Double Handed Axes & Shields
  • 20 Arkanaut Company
    • 6 Skyhooks
  • 10 Arkanaut Company
    • 3 Rotary Guns
  • 20 Ironbreakers
  • 12 Endrinriggers
    • 3 Grapnel Launchers
  • Celestar Balista

The idea is that turn 1 the Khemist buffs the Endrinriggeres and they move 16" and destroy something important. The Azyros flies forward and lets me re-roll ones. If he survives until the next hero phase he does his mortal wound bomb. The Runelord hangs out with the Warriors or Ironbreakers and buffs their rend when they try to sit on objectives. After the first turn or two the khemist buffs the skyhooks on the big unit of Arkanauts. Would have loved to fit an extra Khemist in so they could have the buff from turn 1, but can't figure out quite how to make that work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2018 at 3:37 PM, Kramer said:

Sorry for a probably obvious quistion but I can't find it. Was this ever FAQ'ed? Otherwise i'm always taking living city with my dispossessed against Sylvaneth and filling their Forests in the first turn 😂 

1225652856_ScreenShot2018-12-05at13_07_25.png.86c42aaa43471ca6d12506a5c82e39b5.png

Yep, you totally can use living city (with order abilities and artefacts ofc) to swarm up opposing player's woods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse. 

Can I take say, Winterleaf as part of my Living City and gain the benefits from that, then other Wanderer, and the Sylvaneth (mainly dryads looking at +1) gain the ability of the formations and I still have the overall benefits of the Living City? 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse. 

Can I take say, Winterleaf as part of my Living City and gain the benefits from that, then other Wanderer, and the Sylvaneth (mainly dryads looking at +1) gain the ability of the formations and I still have the overall benefits of the Living City? 

Thanks!

You can take battalions but only the units from it get the benefits of it. As any amount of Slyvaneth can be in the battalion they can all receive the benefits but Wanderers don't get it unless they are in the battalion (I believe winter leaf lets you take one Order unit as part of the battalion which could be a wanderer, Dispossessed, Stormcast or free guild unit)

Speaking of battalions in the Living City I may have stumbled upon something fun earlier today. Thr Harvestboon battalion is based around three units of Dryads and two Branchwraiths. You get +1 to casting and unbinding for the wraiths, as well as +1 to runs and charge for the Dryads. Most notable, however, is the unique artefact the army brings.

This artefact lets you take an extra spell on a Branchwraith of your choice. The catch; that spell HAS to be generated from the Deepwood Lore. Now unless this has been errata'd or FAQ'd (I checked and saw nothing) this means that's it's possible to get access to the spell that summons Wyldwoods outside of the Slyvaneth allegiance.

The battalion is somewhat cheap too at 680pts whilst giving you access to three artefacts (it's two battalions in one), 2 CP, three battle line units, two +1 casting wizards which have a unique spell to summon more Dryads.

It seems like a pretty solid choice in my mind and I'm thinking of trying it out whilst I build up my main list.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harvest boon is a great battalion.  The movement and casting buffs are quite good.  Plus Dryads are still a rock solid BL choice.  And coincidentally, my 2005 era Dryads are all autumn colours :D

Also much thanks for confirming my question.  I've been collecting Wood Elves for 31 years now and miss playing a more classic style of them.  I love AoS but after the Beasts of Chaos book came out I sure starting pining for a combined army even just for friendly pick up games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to add, the idea of a Sylvaneth battalion is it gets you the option for a one-drop that still actually puts stuff on the table and your Ancient can benefit from the +1 cast/move. 

I'm going to assume summoned dryads don't benefit from the battalion ability?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Yoshiya said:

This artefact lets you take an extra spell on a Branchwraith of your choice. The catch; that spell HAS to be generated from the Deepwood Lore. Now unless this has been errata'd or FAQ'd (I checked and saw nothing) this means that's it's possible to get access to the spell that summons Wyldwoods outside of the Slyvaneth allegiance.

THIS^ is amazing !!

 

is it confirmed legal to take battalions in a Living City? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DmcZwerg said:

 THIS^ is amazing !!

 is it confirmed legal to take battalions in a Living City? 

 

If your allegiance is Living City, then you can not use a Sylvaneth Batallion.  If your allegiance is GA: Order, you can.    Even though Living City allegiance uses GA Order Allegiance abilties, the allegiance is Living City, not GA:Order

from core rules FAQ:
The faction a warscroll battalion belongs to is shown on its warscroll, above the title of the battalion. In addition, the battalion is assumed to belong to the Grand Alliance that its faction is a part of...An army can include a warscroll battalion of a different allegiance to the rest of the army, but if it does so the units in it do count against the limits on the number of allies the army can have (and the points for the battalion and the units in it count against the points limit that can be spent on allies in a Pitched Battle).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sorokyl said:

If your allegiance is Living City, then you can not use a Sylvaneth Batallion.  If your allegiance is GA: Order, you can.    Even though Living City allegiance uses GA Order Allegiance abilties, the allegiance is Living City, not GA:Order

from core rules FAQ:
The faction a warscroll battalion belongs to is shown on its warscroll, above the title of the battalion. In addition, the battalion is assumed to belong to the Grand Alliance that its faction is a part of...An army can include a warscroll battalion of a different allegiance to the rest of the army, but if it does so the units in it do count against the limits on the number of allies the army can have (and the points for the battalion and the units in it count against the points limit that can be spent on allies in a Pitched Battle).

Whilst it's true only allegiances the battalion is from and the Grand Alliance allegiance can use battalion warscrolls, that doesn't affect Free Cities as they ARE Grand Alliance: Order allegiance.

If you look at the matched play errata below you'll see it's explicitly states that the allegince of the army is NOT changed when taking the benefits of a Free City. The Free City rules are merely taken in addition to the normal allegiance ones.

Screenshot_20181213-065709.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×