4 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

That's the spirit! I am still a bit paralysed by lack of clarity, but I at least know Pistoleers, Outriders and Demis are in, so I'll have to start on those. Can't finish them entirely, but up until the weapons is quite possible, and easier to paint to boot.

My Pistoliers' will be riding dark elf Cold Ones.  Bring on the lizard cavalry!

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

That's the spirit! I am still a bit paralysed by lack of clarity, but I at least know Pistoleers, Outriders and Demis are in, so I'll have to start on those. Can't finish them entirely, but up until the weapons is quite possible, and easier to paint to boot.

Given that most of us waiting for the Cities are connected to old Dwarf, Elf and Empire armies, there must be a reason we were once attracted to the factions that, above all other things, endure. So that's what we do here. ;) 

• Like 2

As a lover of all things that over the top evil, but still technically on the side of good, I have my eyes on the dark elves. And for the most part, I am very pleased with both of the previews shown so far. It seems like GW has made quite the attempt to appease older fans by providing a fluffy and mechanically coherent book. This doesn't excuse their lack of communications, but they are showing a commitment to whats left of the ranges. I would also like to see more warscroll updates, but thats just me. I also feel reluctant to do any more AoS purchases for my LoN, since I feel as if they too are due for a squatting.

However, enough doom and gloom, I want to see what new toys CoS has to play with! I really want to see Darkling Covens get a bit of attention; I think it would be awesome to have a deadly core of executioners guided by a Sorceress, while protected on the flanks by units of Freeguild, while Cannons and Gyrobombers pummel screens into oblivion.

Anvilgrad looks neat, but depends heavily on the artifacts/ca and Tempest eyes seems like a dream for most dwarf players, especially with the fabled rumor that they will be getting a second wound.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Discontinued units (old a new) seem to be a hot button when discussing Cities of Sigmar nowdays, and so I've written the first of two articles (currently working on the second, which will cover Aelves) with my thoughts on the subject and a detailed guide covering every human and duardin (and halfling!) unit  no longer produced by GW, going as far back as Dogs of War, and providing suggestions on how to best incorporate them into a Cities of Sigmar force.

Check it out, I'd love to hear any feedback:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/09/no-substitute-discontinued-units-in.html

:) 

Very fine article. I like the gryph hound idea but particularly well done on addressing the varying levels of appropriateness or 'goodness of fit' for proxying. Warriors --> longbeards, great. Tzar Boris --> unit champion, mildly depressing.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, dekay said:

Given that most of us waiting for the Cities are connected to old Dwarf, Elf and Empire armies, there must be a reason we were once attracted to the factions that, above all other things, endure. So that's what we do here. ;) 

Survive.... Endure..... Overcome!

*Conan the Barbarian theme starts playing*

We Survived the End Times

We Endured the shattering of realms and dawn of AoS 1.0

We Overcame it all, to once more stand gloriously on the field of Battle. Not as slaves to demons, not as thundering demigods clad in gold, but as Mortals of the Realms! 

For the Emperor and for Sigmar !

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 6

You know, I was thinking, I could get a box of Saurus Warriors, and use their hind legs to put claws on the front legs of my Empire Knight horses, their heads to replace the horseheads (they seem quite big), and their tails to add a bit of scales to the back end of the horsie. That should make them quite believable cold one knights. Saurus Guard is also possible, but they are more expensive and I don't think their heads fit as well.

One box gives me 20, which incidentally is close to the number of Empire Horses I have. That there are no pointy ears under the helmets shouldn't be a problem, as it's not really provable. 

Edited by zilberfrid

4 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

You know, I was thinking, I could get a box of Saurus Warriors, and use their hind legs to put claws on the front legs of my Empire Knight horses, their heads to replace the horseheads (they seem quite big), and their tails to add a bit of scales to the back end of the horsie. That should make them quite believable cold one knights.

One box gives me 20, which incidentally is close to the number of Empire Horses I have. That there are no pointy ears under the helmets shouldn't be a problem, as it's not really provable. 

Saurus legs are *a bit* thin and the head is a little small for empire horses if i remember correctly, but it should work.  You'll need to make the necks from scratch, as there's no reasonable way to fit saurus head onto horse's neck. Still, doable, and immediately recognisable for what they represent. I think I have both saurus and old horse heads lying around somewhere, if I manage to find it I'll make a comparison photo.

21 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

You know, I was thinking, I could get a box of Saurus Warriors, and use their hind legs to put claws on the front legs of my Empire Knight horses, their heads to replace the horseheads (they seem quite big), and their tails to add a bit of scales to the back end of the horsie. That should make them quite believable cold one knights. Saurus Guard is also possible, but they are more expensive and I don't think their heads fit as well.

Not to rain on your parade, but the sizes of all these things aren't going to work.

1 minute ago, dekay said:

Saurus legs are *a bit* thin and the head is a little small for empire horses if i remember correctly, but it should work.  You'll need to make the necks from scratch, as there's no reasonable way to fit saurus head onto horse's neck. Still, doable, and immediately recognisable for what they represent. I think I have both saurus and old horse heads lying around somewhere, if I manage to find it I'll make a comparison photo.

That would be lovely!

I have made claws from hooves before, but it's a lot easier to glue toes on them. Empire horse are quite small, I have put Tsaangor heads in them without difficulty. I want to be able to distinct between the different horses. There's a good chance my current conversions turn out to be ill advised, but we'll see when the book is out.

I'm not too keen on making them resemble Demigryphs, Demis are nice models themselves and a lot bigger, and I already field them, that might be unclear.

My current thinking on cav:

• Demis, quite recognizable. Perhaps get some Gryph Chargers added to them, at least for the rumoured General on Demigryph.
  • Pistoleers/Outriders: As they were designed. Unbarded horses with glorious men of the empire on them. A few women from Glade Riders are added.
  • Dark Riders: Made from Bretonnian horses, so cloth "barding", with riders wielding a lance and having a ranged weapon. I'll probably go for bows, because that's the largest distinction.
  • Cold one knights: These have non-horse heads, claws and lizard tails, and are barded in steel.
  • Knights of the Blood-drenched rose: Made from the fanciest horses I have, being the horses from the Luminarch, the Generals and, well, I'll have to dress the last one up. The Luminarch will have to get new horsies, of course. Will be armed with spare Demigryph parts, because they should be instantly recognizable. Perhaps I'll get a "death" upgrade pack for them.

6 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Need advice on a Hydra, since i never assembled one myself.

I got a Leviadon, Stegodon, Carnossaur, Dragon and Phoenix spare heads. Do you guys think it would fit the Hydra? I dont know how they are connected on its body.

With two bulbous bits. You can look how the sprue looks in the picture on the website. I can't say anything about sizes though.

7 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I am hoping that it will become common sight to see people including Duardin Thunderers in their Freeguild Handgunner ranks and Aelves in Freeguild Guard ranks.

It will really add flavour to see units composed of multiple races.

Yeah, my Glade Rider Pistoleers do need company. I did that way before even the glimmer of CoS was available.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thiagoma said:

Yeah i was taking a look into it and i am not sure.

If it doesnt require  alot of green stuff mess (i am terrible at it) i can still keep the Hydra standart assembly sisnce i always wanted an excuse to buy one.

Note that you have either the Hydra or the Charybdis heads, so you can choose (both have a neck). But it's quite a large difference in heads you want to mount.

1 hour ago, Televiper11 said:

Am thinking of how to keep certain of my Swifthawks in the game:

• High Warden = Freeguild General on Griffon
  • Reavers = Dark Riders
  • Swordmasters = Great Swords

Just remember to change the base on the High Warden. Also good to fill it with scenary so it wont look tinny on a huge base.