1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

I would be very interested to see that!

For me, my mini building and painting has stalled because I don't know what to make and in which way (plus preparations for a weekend of running around in LARP gear inspired on late 15th century north italians, which actually would fit Freeguild quite well).

I now know I need to make at least two generals with greatswords, so that's something I can do.

Here are some pictures I managed to dig out. Now most of these have been painted by a friend of mine who has about the same level of skill as me due to me not having the time and mood for painting mass infantry (I did that once or twice in my life.... 40 gors speed paint challenge.... gives me nightmares even till this day :D  Wish we had contrast colors back then, maybe I would have not lost as many sanity points as I did XD)

Only downside is I will have to rebase them to circular bases.... hacking them off the squares is a pain, but I mostly regret loosing the nice water spring base, as the dragon cav are supposed to be used as Demigryphs (barely fits on those bases but it does.... wont be able to make one as nice as the one on the picture due to less surface space a shame really)

I also included some unpainted minis that have been the "frozen"  part of the project. But with the book close to release I need to get onto these, figure out how to magnetize and base em. Especially the big dragon is extremely heavy due to it being literally a chunk of resin rather than a hollowed out "glue togather" cast. As for the foxes.... not sure what I will be able to use them as.. if anything at all. Will see once I have a read through the unit section.

Infantry > Swords and Halberdiers/Spearmen

Spoiler

j5.jpg.7bf8e90868fd40760561307fa638cf2d.jpg

j6.jpg.0ff697a23c396c7f76d7a0fd0e29a271.jpg

j3.jpg.7eb8b9189aa052cd309f1ee7ce8ed95f.jpg

j4.jpg.c08ac227cf0d3ec0af5f40cc3efc6452.jpg

j1.jpg.e65415396109616a92e8359083dd9494.jpg

j2.jpg.ea215c73eb1e13f40255db1cc48c9bf2.jpg

Dragon Cav. (Demigryphs)

Spoiler

d2.jpg.904c6cc7730b3b335f06d6542146ff15.jpg    d1.jpg.366a76c714ac8fb7c3f102194cef0b3c.jpg

d3.jpg.fdb4cb70a575dc2c9385c8480cb2c136.jpg

Foxes big and small

Spoiler

f3.jpg.c0d37e9169f3c6037104564a2b812081.jpg

f4.jpg.e41f1b694f92ec5830ea0c993639b286.jpg

f2.jpg.f5fd1c4195fb240e4e32e60e75810cbc.jpg

f1.jpg.c9908f1bceae03f00f55fee9ddc6e189.jpg

f5.jpg.1f6b1501a106ed9a4f909bcdf9b4c5d2.jpg

Lord on Dragon (or Gryphon) and a Wizard on Gryphon (or maybe Sorceress on Black Dragon)

Spoiler

l1.jpg.c060790fdeeadab242a09f698acc67f9.jpg

l2.jpg.d1db50ae9137eb726b04cd303e75960d.jpg

l3.jpg.462e1e6a8c692689f6ef52e16ce56b8f.jpg

There is some more stuff, but mostly un-assembled and unpainted and I know nobody is interested in that  :P  (and I dont wanna spam to much. Hope nobody minds but just in case put them under the spoiler tabs). I already have good idea for the lore of my city. It involves the Dragon Emperor of Cathay and the Kami of Celestial Heavens coming to Sigmar with huge anime puppy eyes and.... Sigmar sighing heavily, face palming himself and eventually waving them off to one of his realms to "make a city or something" just to let him be :D 

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 3

22 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

AoSCitiesFocus-Sep23-Battleline14ujsw.jpg

The picture reveals more than what is obvious at first sight. I think it even reveals which units are unconditional Battlelines and which are conditional Battlelines. 

The first 9 pictures show the unconditional Battlelines which are presented in alphabetical order:

1. Bleakswords
  2. Darkshards
  3. Dreadspears
  4. Eternal Guard
  5. Freeguild Crossbowmen
  6. Freeguild Guard
  7. Freeguild Handgunners
  8. Ironbreakers
  9. Longbeards

After that there are 18  conditional Battlelines which are (also in alphabetical order):

1. Black Ark Corsairs
  2. Dark Riders
  3. Demigryph Knights
  4. Drakespawn Chariots
  5. Drakespawn Knights
  6. Executioners
  7. Flagellants
  8. Freeguild Greatswords
  9. Freeguild Outriders
  10. Freeguild Pistoliers
  11. Hammerers
  12. Irondrakes
  13. Phoenix Guard
  14. Scourgerunner Chariots
  15. Shadow Warriors
  16. Sisters of the Thorn
  17. Sisters of the Watch
  18. Wildwood Rangers

The last three are Behemoths that can also be Battleline:

1. Steam Tank
  2. Kharibdyss
  3. War Hydra

Edited by Duke of Gisoreux
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 11

Gotta say, I'm finally getting a wee bit excited for this. Looking forward to what my existing Freeguild army can do with the new battalions and abilities, but mostly looking forward to not being forced to use my allies allocation for artillery and wizards.

What are y'all planning to do with that opportinity?

Edited by Not-not-kenny
added a question to make it feel like i'm contributing to the discussion in a more meaningful way
  • Like 3

If points stay more or less the same then it's pretty easy to fit 4 rocket batteries and a steamtank in a 2000 point list... that'll be fun. I definitely plan to get a couple of rockets at least regardless of city just for that long ranged fire support. 

I'm also definitely looking forward to seeing which cities/heroes open up each battleline option

Seems the same as it was but +1" extra movement iirc? However no distinction for Flying units getting +4", so a mixed update. +1 Save roll remains the same.

With Swifthawk gone though there aren't MANY units that can fly (outside of Stormcast/ Kharadron) so not a huge loss.

Obviously the real kicker with these things will be the spells/ artefacts/ command traits/ how everything interacts with army building.

A big factor though is HOW many rules wil leach city have? For example Anvilgard now has the Illicit Dealings rule previewed yesterday, but did it lose it's previous Implable March rule?

Must say Tempest Eye looks really good.

Being only first turn ability is not a big deal. You push aggressively forward with stuff like knights for that extra move and sweet sweet bonus armor point. Not allowing your opponent to spread wide and surround you. With extra armor your line should hold more or less with ease since we are talking two or more units of 10 heavy knights each, that are 3+ re-roll 1s armor saves at the very least, backed up by squishy dps units ready to counter charge come turn 2 in case the wall in front of them gets wiped out.

I have a feeling the building shown on the picture has the Japanese pagoda styled temple aesthetics. Nice

Edited by Myrdin

17 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

Must say Tempest Eye looks really good.

Being only first turn ability is not a big deal. You push aggressively forward with stuff like knights for that extra move and sweet sweet bonus armor point. Not allowing your opponent to spread wide and surround you. With extra armor your line should hold more or less with ease since we are talking two or more units of 10 heavy knights each, that are 3+ re-roll 1s armor saves at the very least, backed up by squishy dps units ready to counter charge come turn 2 in case the wall in front of them gets wiped out.

I have a feeling the building shown on the picture has the Japanese pagoda styled temple aesthetics. Nice

Say Drakespawn Knights, Save 4, reroll 1-2. With this ability (or indomitable, if that still works), it's save 3, reroll 1 and 2. That's quite tasty.

Demis or Dark riders don't quite get there at the moment (one going up to 3+ reroll 1, the other to 4+ reroll 1-2).

My Empire Knights have found their calling, it seems! (conversions of the horses to have clawed front legs and a beak or toothed maw, stick a knight with a lance on 'em, and go). 

Nothing wrong with theorycrafting, so here we go:

Leader on Dragon or Griffin, some 280 pts

Magic user on dragon or griffin some 240 pts

10 Drakespawn Knights  240 pts

10 Drakespawn Knights 240 pts

5 Pistoleers or Dark Riders 120pts

10 Outriders 240 pts

10 Outriders 240 pts

6 Demigryphs 260

5 Sisters of the Thorn 210 pts

Emerald Lifeswarm 50

Screen with the Drakespawn Knights, use Pistoleers or Dark Riders second (perhaps with the extra shooty charge), secure with Outriders who can then shoot a lot better than what your Pistoleers or Dark Riders can. 

Best would be to have multiple healers to make the most use of the multi wound units, but I don't know from the top of my head how best to do that. 

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 3

Yeah pretty much.
I mean I am a BoC player and when I see this, the play style I envision being used with this City is pretty much that of Beastmen horde surging forward in waves turn 1, spreading through out the whole table to capping objectives and perform zone denial. Sure the meat shield units will fall, but thats their job. Afterwards its your turn to return the punch in kind.

Only difference is BoC maintain their speed through out the game, but are far more squishier. That +1 to Armor is a huge deal. But I dont see a problem adjusting to this being just a 1st turn ability, as the book in general seems to pack a lot of firepower due to how you can cherry pick specific combinations of the vast roster to fit specific needs (not even talking about min maxing here). 

Darn, wish we didnt get to see these snippets. Each additional leaked info from the book makes me wanna see more. I was fairly patient up till now, but this drop feeding is making the wait worse than it was :D 

Edited by Myrdin

Dawii going 7" turn one makes them a real threat. They have heavy armour anyway so will be shrugging off all but the hardiest opposition in turn one.

Even something like an Empire General on Griffin is suuuuper beneficial with these rules, moving faster and getting some tankiness against ranged threats.

I'm really ecited to see the Living City. They'll no doubt be updated a fair bit, maybe patch out the danger wyld woods pose to unit's from there? Or let them take one?!

Edited by Charlo
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

Do you think we will ever get an answer as to why the freeguild are obsessed with some dude named Karl Franz or will the book include a section on how to file down name plates?

In my city, the Franz is the ruler of the city. It is custom to change part of the name to the title, but after family ties nearly tore apart the cities in a gritty war when the former Franz (Ferdinand) was shot, the current one replaced his first name with the title. 

GW is just nice enough to sculpt that on my models.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Ironbreaker said:

Do you think we will ever get an answer as to why the freeguild are obsessed with some dude named Karl Franz or will the book include a section on how to file down name plates?

With a bit of fleshed out lore on the "Church of Sigmar", they could add old world heroes as Saints of sorts. With the gods coming from the Old World, wouldn't be too crazy to imagine that they mention people from it. And ya know how people react to words from a God...

Also, more fleshing out on religion helps to explain the Flagellant models. I am sure they will have a page at least on them to explain how religion works.

I am excited to the potential the lore can being, both official and player made.

• Like 1

So i bought a BUNCH of undead to play Legions of Nagash but I think i'm more leaning to keep that to just Soulblight (and allies).. Bonereapers aren't doing to for me overall and I'm wondering if there are the beginnings of a custom Undead City?

The Lore has mentions of the dead existing with harmony with the living in Shyish, so these could be dead loyal to Sigmar - maybe blessed to be protected from Nagash's influence. Plus "The Unliving City" is too good a name to pass up ;)

Thoughts?

• Like 5