AoS 2 - Stormcast Eternals Discussion

Chris Tomlin

4 hours ago, XReN said:

He should've had 7 attacks by turn 3, or did you split them?

I had to bring him in turn 2 to try and clear one of the points and maybe grab it.  Alas this failed. I talked through it with the people present and I think I would still have brought him in turn 2 every time in this particular instance. 

1 hour ago, repressedowl said:

Playing in a local league next week - total newcomer but I've been building up SCE from Soul Wars. How does this look for 1000 points? Trying to do a decent all-comers list that's fun to play and will win me a few games. Not looking to absolutely dominate but I don't want to get obliterated.

Spoiler

Lord Arcanum - 160

Lord ordinator - 140

5 sequitors (blades & shields, 3 maces inc prime) - 130

2 celestar ballistae - 220

5 evocators (grandstaves) - 220

Looking to be fairly defensive, shielding the ballistae and buffing sequitors with spells. Holding back evos as a triarii type unit to lock-break when and where they're needed.

I also have draco-evos, lord celestant on dracoth, 2 knights incantor, rest of soul wars but these units seem to be the most cohesive with the price increases. Any tips/thoughts would be really appreciated.

I play same list,  in meeting engagements. Use anvil stormhost. i think its one of best 1k list

1 hour ago, repressedowl said:

Lord ordinator - 140

2 celestar ballistae - 220

5 evocators (grandstaves) - 220

-How do you have blades from the Soul Wars box?

-Lord Ordinator points might be better put towards an incantor, since you only have 2 ballistae

9 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

-How do you have blades from the Soul Wars box?

-Lord Ordinator points might be better put towards an incantor, since you only have 2 ballistae

Have also got a 2nd box of sequitors - so I could run any combination.

Knight Incantor might be better come to think of it. Best spells for this setup?

2 hours ago, repressedowl said:

Knight Incantor might be better come to think of it. Best spells for this setup?

I plan on running chain lightning for matched 1k, and I was told lightning blast is best for Meeting Engagements. Whatever you take, Incantors seem to be best on offense casting. I give my LA the Halo for support since you want him near infantry for the heal anyway.

Alrighty so next game I'm gonna try out the Thundercats.  What have people been running I need some suggestions.  So far its LAoD and 6x Dracolines.  Whats next?  What experiences have people had so far.  I know we just had the points changes but I think it affected this list less than others aside from the Sequitor change.

57 minutes ago, luthhero said:

Alrighty so next game I'm gonna try out the Thundercats.  What have people been running I need some suggestions.  So far its LAoD and 6x Dracolines.  Whats next?  What experiences have people had so far.  I know we just had the points changes but I think it affected this list less than others aside from the Sequitor change.

Heraldor for sure, you need to be able to retreat & charge

Dracolines need some kind of ranged support. Ballistas are the usual choice, they can deep strike in behind the dracolines.

21 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Heraldor for sure, you need to be able to retreat & charge

Dracolines need some kind of ranged support. Ballistas are the usual choice, they can deep strike in behind the dracolines.

Hmmm Ill have to wait on the heraldor I don't actually have one and will have to special order it.  Love the idea of Ballistas!  I'm assuming the math is still no Ordinator until 3 Ballistas?.  Since I'm stuck in Sacrosanct chamber then 3x 5 Sequitors will have to be the norm.  I did have a chance to read a post from you @PJetski a while back about a Cat list so seems pretty sound still.

3 Ballistas are still more points efficient than 2+Lordinator, but it's closer than it used to be. In a 1k game you can't get a 3rd ballista, and the Ordinator has some slight benefits besides the +1 hit, so there's that.

Concerning Evocators on Dracolines, i recommend Chronomantic Cogs, Castellant and Heraldor. Both heroes are useful for other units and, while the Cats will eradicate pretty much any target on a charge, they are guaranteed to eat a countercharge on the enemy's turn. And they die quickly. The rest of my army consists of a Hailstorm Battery, (LO+3ballistae for events) and fill in with Sequitors. I'll have to juggle points a little as cogs and castellant went up. Maybe a Relictor for -1 hit and translocation and Liberators instead of Sequitors. I'd also love to squeeze in Prosecutors to have a mobile unit for objectives away from the cats...

8 hours ago, Coolwood said:

Doesnt the Prime only get a flat +2 attacks now if hes left in reserve turn 2?

8 hours ago, JaffaBones said:

No, still +2 each round

No I think Coolwood is right. The wording  does not implies that it stacks every turn. In the last Battletome they gave him an extra attack from turn one but it dont stack like before.

Screenshot_20190628-202952.png

19 minutes ago, Sir Mercury said:

No I think Coolwood is right. The wording  does not implies that it stacks every turn. In the last Battletome they gave him an extra attack from turn one but it dont stack like before.

Screenshot_20190628-202952.png

So I saw a comment on a post on Facebook from GW that confirmed the +2 attacks every turn he’s off the board - I saw it after I posted the comment above unfortunately. Wording on primes warscroll really isn’t very clear though.

• Like 1

FAQ aside, the Prime's Retribution from on high ability reads to me like it stacks every turn.

As long as you take heed of the condition:

"...at the end of your movement phase, you must declare whether this model will remain in reserve or strike from the heavens.
If this model remains in reserve, add 2 to the attacks characteristic of Ghal Maraz until the end of the battle."

It seems fairly clear to me that you make that decision at the end of every one of your movement phases, and each time you do, you then proceed to add 2 to the attacks characteristic of Ghal Maraz. I know there's no debate on this thanks to having the rule clarified in the FAQ, but what is the rational behind believing it only happens the one time?

But my question as a begginer in AoS is, is it worth buying? I mean, I've read a lot of complains about it, being too expensive in points for his effectiveness. The model looks great but since I'm building my army right now, I don't know if I should look at it, with semi competitive point of view or just pass.

Edited by EngraBlackSword

59 minutes ago, EngraBlackSword said:

But my question as a begginer in AoS is, is it worth buying? I mean, I've read a lot of complains about it, being too expensive in points for his effectiveness. The model looks great but since I'm building my army right now, I don't know if I should look at it, with semi competitive point of view or just pass.

Model is great, just it doesn't have a place in competitive game. In semi-competitive game, I think you can still bring it with a decent list, its AOE is pretty good from my opnion. So the question come backs to do you really like the celestant-prime model? If so, get it.

Edited by HammerOfSigmar
  • Like 2

On 6/25/2019 at 3:00 PM, Gdead909 said:

Hey guys, I was starting to look at SCE but before I dive in, is there any playability to the guys on dracoths? They seem very tanky and very quick but I dont know if they combo well with anything. Any help would be appreciated.

I run Fulminators and Concussors regularly and I think they are the best versions. Both should be supported with a Lord Castellant and in the case of Fulminators, you NEED a Herlador. They are excellent tanks with the +1 save buff and deal decent damage. However MW tear right though them because they only have 5 wounds a model for 240 points for two. So they aren't invincible.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

Model is great, just it doesn't have a place in competitive game. In semi-competitive game, I think you can still bring it with a decent list, its AOE is pretty good from my opnion. So the question come backs to do you really like the celestant-prime model? If so, get it.

Thank u! I'll definitely take a look at it.

8 hours ago, HammerOfSigmar said:

I went 4-1 with a Celestant Prime at the Throne of Skulls. Granted, it is not the most competitive tournament (but more than it should be), but I played some tough armies. It is a very precise application of high damage and extremely reliable. It probably could do with being unrendable, or it's save applies to MWs too, but otherwise it is pretty decent. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The World Tree said:

I went 4-1 with a Celestant Prime at the Throne of Skulls. Granted, it is not the most competitive tournament (but more than it should be), but I played some tough armies. It is a very precise application of high damage and extremely reliable. It probably could do with being unrendable, or it's save applies to MWs too, but otherwise it is pretty decent. 

Interesting. Could you please share with us the list u were using?

Edited by EngraBlackSword
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 7:33 PM, jhamslam said:

The point was about the mechanic. Failing a 2+ is quite difficult with the greater daemons inside a 6 inch aura of all things

Its at the end of the charge phase, so if you are careful you can definitely play around it. Obviously it stops charging and killing the GD itself, but consider Locus the KoS defensive rule. Locus is also negated by charging with a fight at start of phase model, since Locus and fight at start of phase negate (this is specific to Locus), and it is your turn you get to pick who fights first. 

4 hours ago, The World Tree said:

I love the Prime.

I think the if the Prime got a small points tweak he'd make quite a lot of lists. If you were to make the model itself far too tasty you'd see it allied into all Order lists which I guess isn't ideal.

So any (significant) buffs would need to push the points above ally threshold.

I've been running a very silly list with the Prime in a while now and I'm (still) painting up a Drakesworn Templar to either add to the list in place of dracoths and heraldor or to replace the LCoSD with (and maybe work toward the 6 Desolator idea): https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/dr-star-drakelove-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-celestant-prime/

The list falls into the "isn't super competitive but is fun & you can still place well" category.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I played prime for over a year in every Battle for that time. I felt he was very tricky to play which was fun. The most use i got out of him was so depending in what opponent ran and mission. For example, Sometimes I'd deploy him on the board turn one and just throw D3 Mortal wounds on an army that had to be lumped together and then counter charge in turn 3. Other times I put him on the board turn 3 with 7 attacks to take out something that needed to go. I also kept him off the board to make my opponent remain cautious of spreading himself too thin on the board, which made it much easier to have board control with an elite army.

• Like 2