AoS 2 - Soulblight Discussion

RuneBrush

15 hours ago, Joseph Mackay said:

My Wishlist for Soulblight
-keep the Legion Of Blood/Night as ‘sub factions’ with a general ‘Soulblight’ allegiance also. Each Legion would focus on specific units (Night would be Mannfred and all the ‘horror’ elements like ghouls and wolves, Blood would be Neferata and skeletons etc) [im not too familiar with the exact lore of the Legions but that seems to be roughly what they’re about]
-plastic Blood Knights, Blood Knights on foot (elite vampire infantry), plastic Fell Bats and Bat Swarms (both with much better rules)
-Vlad as a new Mortach (with an additional Legion Of ... sub faction

I don’t really have an opinion on rules for them so much, I just want new plastic models 

I think the Elite Infantry unit will be the Vampire Warband from underworlds. I mean - it’s 4 badass vampires that are unique and should have a much stronger warscroll than average. 

So we can see a fair expansion to soulblight coming and it looks like the natural successor to legions. I also can't see the flesh rater courts being rolled into this one but they are really due an expansion!

With the new mounted Wight King being a soulblight character it looks a safe bet that deathrattle will be included. 

But if too much is included from LoN then what space does that leave ? Will they discontinue a load of lines?

Anyone thought of a likely roster?

New units???

Old units??

Factions??

13 minutes ago, CDM said:

So we can see a fair expansion to soulblight coming and it looks like the natural successor to legions. I also can't see the flesh rater courts being rolled into this one but they are really due an expansion!

With the new mounted Wight King being a soulblight character it looks a safe bet that deathrattle will be included. 

But if too much is included from LoN then what space does that leave ? Will they discontinue a load of lines?

Anyone thought of a likely roster?

New units???

Old units??

Factions??

I think Cursed City models will have warscrolls in Soulblight Gravelords. Much of what was shown today might be a replacement for existing kits ( skeletons/zombies/bat swarms). I do expect a further reveal of that vampire lord we saw last month and potentially new blood knights - as I’m sure GW knows it’s one of the highest requested resculpts. 
  So the rest will have most of the previous legions come back ( probably without Nighthaunt units) and get refreshed keywords and warscrolls. Just like Tzeentch a few years back with classic stuff merging together with Silver Tower.

• Like 1

the zombies are explicitly called "deadwalker zombies" and the bats called "bat swarms", so those two seem to literally replace prior models
I feel like nagash, arkhan, and morghasts will leave the book, it seems obvious it's shifting back to more faithfully being vampire counts

bloodknights seem like an absolute guarantee, it'd be nonsense to finally do the soulblight thing and skip them

Yeah blood knights are a given. Now we've saw two aspects of bestail vampires with the vyrkos blood borne and the vargulf thing.

We have saw a new vampire lord and the underworlds warband. 

The warband had a feral vampire looking model bit I can't see us having two different vampire thrall units. But the very martial looking vampires are a must, they fill that gap of hero quote nicely without being a top power like a lord, would be great to see lots of these on the board.

I'd really like to see Blood Knights but I don't think anything's a given. Even if we do get Blood Knights, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were almost unrecognisable to what we have now. AoS has a funny way of throwing massive curve balls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lare2 said:

I'd really like to see Blood Knights but I don't think anything's a given. Even if we do get Blood Knights, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were almost unrecognisable to what we have now. AoS has a funny way of throwing massive curve balls.

This is what I’m worried about.  We will get new Blood,knights but instead of heavily armored baroque vampires on nightmare steeds, we will get half naked feral vampire growing out of giant blood worms that shoot psychic lasers from their mouth.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'm not sure the zombies are going to be replaced.

Cursed City models look too thematically linked to the game. You could use the new models, but the old ones could be still in print. I don't think CC zombies are going to be packaged into a unit for AOS. The same feeling I have for skelletons. 

Soulblight keyword gives us:

- Mannfred (stays as it is)

- Neferata (stays as it is)

- VloZD / ZD / Terrorgheist (stays as it is)

- Blood Knights (New Model)

- Vargheists (stays as it is)

-Bat Swarms (New Model from CC)

- Fell Bats (I'm tempted to say that is phased out/merged with bat swarms... but some rumor engines could prove me wrong) 

- Vampire Lord (we already now at least 1 is coming. If we don't count the Underworlds warband)

- Palanquin/Coven Throne (Stays)

Plus we should add the rest of the band, since Wight King is confirmed to be soulblight-

- Wight King / mounted WK (stays/new)

- Black Knights (stays as it is)

- Grave Guard (I think it will stay, but we could have news here)

- Skeleton Warriors (stays as it is)

- Zombies (stays as it is)

- Wolves (Maybe new sculpts?)

- Necromancer (stays as it is)

- Corpse Cart (stays as it is)

I think in order to get new units we could see some of the existing ones being phased to get a balanced rooster, but since we are talking about around 20 warscrolls adding more without substracting could also be done.

• Like 1

Yeah maybe Bloodknights will go but as long as there is a mounted vampire unit in full armour then it will scratch the itch.

I can actually see grave guard . Skellies and zombies phased out and replaced with a sepulchral guard looking unit.

I would actually like to see deadwalkers left out and merged with FEC. I reckon there's great scope for a FEC and deadwalkers expansion away from soulblight and vampire counts

After much consideration I really like the Transylvania Style of the minis. More Eastern Europe Vlad Tepes than French court.

the fear of „loosing“ bloodknights is also real, since a lot of People found ways to not spend 80€ for 5 minis (fe dragonprinces).

GW wants/must sell new minis, not let you play with your 10+ years old knights or in my cast the 27 year old necromancer. Only selling new books is not really enough.

I think they will *caution* revamp the whole line to a more ip friendly unique style, guessing from LRL and ID, as well as the Hedonites. The undead ogors and the ferals are imo a clear indicator of an overhaul in style and army composition.

they will not ditch the whole line completely, don’t get me wrong, but a new set of cool bling will leave the old models and options in the dust.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gotz said:

I'm not sure the zombies are going to be replaced.

Cursed City models look too thematically linked to the game. You could use the new models, but the old ones could be still in print. I don't think CC zombies are going to be packaged into a unit for AOS. The same feeling I have for skelletons. 

Soulblight keyword gives us:

- Mannfred (stays as it is)

- Neferata (stays as it is)

- VloZD / ZD / Terrorgheist (stays as it is)

- Blood Knights (New Model)

- Vargheists (stays as it is)

-Bat Swarms (New Model from CC)

- Fell Bats (I'm tempted to say that is phased out/merged with bat swarms... but some rumor engines could prove me wrong) 

- Vampire Lord (we already now at least 1 is coming. If we don't count the Underworlds warband)

- Palanquin/Coven Throne (Stays)

Plus we should add the rest of the band, since Wight King is confirmed to be soulblight-

- Wight King / mounted WK (stays/new)

- Black Knights (stays as it is)

- Grave Guard (I think it will stay, but we could have news here)

- Skeleton Warriors (stays as it is)

- Zombies (stays as it is)

- Wolves (Maybe new sculpts?)

- Necromancer (stays as it is)

- Corpse Cart (stays as it is)

I think in order to get new units we could see some of the existing ones being phased to get a balanced rooster, but since we are talking about around 20 warscrolls adding more without substracting could also be done.

And I think it's reasonable to assume that all/much of the CC units will be available for the army as well. This would add:

-Radukar + his goons (Shovel Guy, Ulfenwatch Skeleton Leader, Necromancer Guy). So 4 Leaders.

-Vyrkos Blood-Born (feral Vampires)

-Vargskyr (Varghulf)

-Corpse Rats

-Kosargi Nightguard

We know all of those will 100% have rules for AoS, since there is literally a warscroll booklet included in the CC box. But I wonder if some of those units will ever get a generic box. For example the Kosargi Nightguard. They are aestheticaly really tied to Radukar and if the rest of the Gravelords will continue with the baroque style we know from the current kits, I don't really see them getting a standalone box. 

I also think the new Skeletons will be a seperate unit at first. They'll be called "The Ulfenwatch" etc. But I think ultimately GW will release a new Skeleton Warrior box with the Ulfenwatch as the basis.

What has me even more excited is the new mounted Wight King and the article saying that the necromancers are hard at work, raising the undead legions. This could imply that we'll see some more new Deathrattle stuff. Or it could simply imply to the coming of the Gravelords. Either way I'm a happy Necromancer! :D

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lare2 said:

that'd be bizarre given the wight king looks like they'd tried to pull stuff out of 1980s art

1 hour ago, Indecisive said:

that'd be bizarre given the wight king looks like they'd tried to pull stuff out of 1980s art

Lately GW seems to finally capitalize on their awesome Art. In the 8th Edition Army Book of the Vampire counts there was an amazing Blood Knight illustration. I think we might see that with a slightly eastern touch :)

(it was very dark with green witch flame)  U‘ll edit it into this post if I find it :)

Edit:

4F866306-90F1-4226-8054-5A7E14169147.jpeg.658e77bc4f3064327ee2f42dd4828d3d.jpeg

I‘d love to see Vamp infantry that looked like this 

image.jpeg.71621be6db8c7493403ef9bc0d79f76a.jpeg

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Lately GW seems to finally capitalize on their awesome Art. In the 8th Edition Army Book of the Vampire counts there was an amazing Blood Knight illustration. I think we might see that with a slightly eastern touch :)

(it was very dark with green witch flame)  U‘ll edit it into this post if I find it :)

Edit:

4F866306-90F1-4226-8054-5A7E14169147.jpeg.658e77bc4f3064327ee2f42dd4828d3d.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

I‘d love to see Vamp infantry that looked like this 

image.jpeg.71621be6db8c7493403ef9bc0d79f76a.jpeg

yes, amazing one but it is a black knight

On 2/14/2021 at 10:19 PM, Harioch said:

To me, with a name like Gravelords...i think it'll be a Legion of Nagash 2.0 with same grave site faction rules...but I still hope for vampires units (blood knights mounted and unmounted).

I'd be surprised if they don't rework the grave site rules. The whole SUMMONABLE keyword, actually. I don't think we will see that anymore in the new book.

On 2/21/2021 at 11:47 AM, CDM said:

We have saw a new vampire lord and the underworlds warband. 

The warband had a feral vampire looking model bit I can't see us having two different vampire thrall units. But the very martial looking vampires are a must, they fill that gap of hero quote nicely without being a top power like a lord, would be great to see lots of these on the board.

What makes you say that? I think the Vrykos Bloodborn and a potential winged Vampire unit are distinct enough to have both. If anything, I having Vampire troops be feral helps keep up the image of Vampires being a kind of big deal: The only way you are getting them as regular troops instead of heores is when they have gone crazy from blood thirst already (with the exception of Blood Knights).

Since zombies and skeletons are in the book and will probably fill the niches of mass infantry, I don't think there is much of a need for vampire foot soldiers (from a gameplay perspective). I like the idea of vampires being elite units with special roles much better.

17 hours ago, lare2 said:

I reckon multi build units are pretty safe. Things like Black Knights will stay as is as they're also Hexwraiths. This means they have to keep to a theme, which has been indicated by a pretty traditional mounted Wight King. 

I would even say that Black Knights are nearly guaranteed with the reveal of the Wight King. They might even get a new sculpt (although they don't need it). At this point, I would be more concerned about Hexwraiths, which look much more out of place in Nighthaunt than Black Knights do in Gravelords.

12 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

At this point, I would be more concerned about Hexwraiths, which look much more out of place in Nighthaunt than Black Knights do in Gravelords.

Gotta agree with you on this point. Who knows what the future holds. 

I still say that every single one of the four underworlds vampires can reasonably be called a 'vampire lord', and there's no reason to expect them to represent brand new units instead.  Vampire lords have options for wings already, and simple arms & armor variations in underworlds models haven't in the past suggested future new AoS units in their own right.

42 minutes ago, Sception said:

I still say that every single one of the four underworlds vampires can reasonably be called a 'vampire lord', and there's no reason to expect them to represent brand new units instead.  Vampire lords have options for wings already, and simple arms & armor variations in underworlds models haven't in the past suggested future new AoS units in their own right.

True - but Aos usually just keeps the models together and gives them a warscroll. They will be the “elite” unique vampire-on-foot warriors you can use in your SBG army.  I don’t see more of that type coming out but as a one thing sure. 

On 2/22/2021 at 2:23 AM, lare2 said:

Also if Khorne Daemons has shown us anything, if we do get plastic Blood Knights, expect them to cost more than the current resin ones.

Assuming they stay relatively the same size, $124nz for 5 (Lumineth Dawnrider price) or 130nz (price of the new Slaanesh Seekers, although they’re on larger bases) is what they SHOULD cost. I won’t be surprised if they end up $200nz for 3 (Varanguard price) or higher.

• Like 2