AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 11/9/2018 at 10:02 AM, peasant said:

today I will give a try to 10 centigors + blades of putrefaction, 41 atks dealing MW on 5+. Running 21 and charging I can place the sorcerer out of dispel range.

It was totally a blast! the sorcerer cast it to 10 centigors. Ran and charged for a total of 31" and got 12 MW (average 14) of 41 atks on an unit of gore gruntas that was instakill!

• Like 1

my list for a small tournament in my hometown, only for 1250 points, and I used mostly what I had painted at the moment. The trick is GUO will tank  (I hope the worst my enemy con throw to me) while slowly killing with magicks. Sorcerer from a far edge will keep on plague squalling everywhere. Some turn plague Drones will pile in with buffs (+6 atks/min). Nurglings and beast, well I dont expect to do anything but distract my opponent. And help me generate more contagion points. Putrid blightking will act as bodyguards for my heroes.

At last when I hit 21 contagion points summon 20 plague boys to claim an objective

what do you think?

Allegiance: Nurgle - Mortal Realm: Shyish

LEADERS

- Great Unclean One (340) -

General - Command Trait : Pestilent Breath

- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell - Artefact : Ethereal Amulet

- Lore of Virulence : Sumptuous Pestilence Sorcerer (120)

- Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall

UNITS

5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

3 x Plague Drones (200)

1 x Beasts Of Nurgle (100)

3 x Nurglings (100)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

TOTAL: 1240/1250 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 96

On 11/11/2018 at 11:15 PM, peasant said:

come on plague boys! 

well what do you think of the fecund rituculturalists battallion?

Ive used this battalion for 1 tournament previously and am using them again in 11 days. I like it because I like running demons and don't have the models for an effective tallyband (and dont have 3 GUOs).

It seems great for the price apart from 2 things:

1) The nurglings aren't really what you want and so, really, are part of the battalion cost.

2) If you don't plan on running Horti then he's part of the cost too and then it's a really steep tax

My list is barebones (I'm a slow painter) and kind of MSU bar the 30 pb unit. Rerolling 1s is neat if you get blades off on drones (and you take 6, I've only painted 3 :S) and extra pb regen is always nice.

I'm a fan but it loses out for sure to the bk battalions that others favour. Or 3 GUOs.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Turragor said:

Ive used this battalion for 1 tournament previously and am using them again in 11 days. I like it because I like running demons and don't have the models for an effective tallyband (and dont have 3 GUOs).

It seems great for the price apart from 2 things:

1) The nurglings aren't really what you want and so, really, are part of the battalion cost.

2) If you don't plan on running Horti then he's part of the cost too and then it's a really steep tax

My list is barebones (I'm a slow painter) and kind of MSU bar the 30 pb unit. Rerolling 1s is neat if you get blades off on drones (and you take 6, I've only painted 3 :S) and extra pb regen is always nice.

I'm a fan but it loses out for sure to the bk battalions that others favour. Or 3 GUOs.

yeah completely agree with you but while we get 3 GUOs is an alternative to the tallyband but I cant tell which is better. The tallyband gives you battleLines. But why Nurgle daemons are so expensive in points?!

Our daemons are expensive mostly because of how resilient they are, for instance; 30 plaguebearers, I’ve had entire combat armies attack one of these units and barely take it off after 3 combat phases, add in a lord of blights, witherstave and the rerolling wounds portion of the wheel and you have something nigh invulnerable to anything short of mass mortals.

Now onto your 1250 list @peasant I would drop the beast, nurglings and life swarm, put in 3 more drones and swap the sorcerer to blades as well as having the extra command point and triumph, as your damage is going to mainly be from the drones, but the kings should be putting dents into things at that point limit, the idea here is to maximise your damage while your Guo pins units down and tanks, lifeswarm wouldn’t be as handy army wide as you won’t bring models back, and it’s nothing that  smart wheel manipulation doesn’t do already.

I’d personally do something like this;

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Pestilent Breath  
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet  
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1180 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 97

Other option is to do endless gift on the general, because as nice as a unrendable 4+ save is, healing each battleshock phase is nice, another option would be a doppelgänger cloak, can’t  kill what you cannot hit!

Anyway you go I wish you the best of luck for your tournament.

Edited by Garuun
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Garuun said:

Our daemons are expensive mostly because of how resilient they are, for instance; 30 plaguebearers, I’ve had entire combat armies attack one of these units and barely take it off after 3 combat phases, add in a lord of blights, witherstave and the rerolling wounds portion of the wheel and you have something nigh invulnerable to anything short of mass mortals.

Now onto your 1250 list @peasant I would drop the beast, nurglings and life swarm, put in 3 more drones and swap the sorcerer to blades as well as having the extra command point and triumph, as your damage is going to mainly be from the drones, but the kings should be putting dents into things at that point limit, the idea here is to maximise your damage while your Guo pins units down and tanks, lifeswarm wouldn’t be as handy army wide as you won’t bring models back, and it’s nothing that  smart wheel manipulation doesn’t do already.

I’d personally do something like this;

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Pestilent Breath  
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet  
- Lore of Virulence: Sumptuous Pestilence
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction

Battleline

Units
6 x Plague Drones (400)

Total: 1180 / 1250
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 97

Other option is to do endless gift on the general, because as nice as a unrendable 4+ save is, healing each battleshock phase is nice, another option would be a doppelgänger cloak, can’t  kill what you cannot hit!

Anyway you go I wish you the best of luck for your tournament.

thanks! Great advices! to bad I only have 3 drones but definetely I would purchase 3 more the thing is getting painted for sunday. I didnt think of using blades on them, with buffs they ll get  near to 80 atks!!  +12 shoots. Even bladeless that unit can oneshoot almost everything.

Youre right with the endless gift but in my very aos game I played against a shooty tzeentch army and deleted her 1st turn and I was traumatized.

The other week I played 10 centigors (160 pts) with blades and got a 31 inches T1 charge, 41 atks generating MW at 5+, so I think theyare a thing to us.

Thanks again for the advice, I will try to get some drones !

5 hours ago, peasant said:

thanks! Great advices! to bad I only have 3 drones but definetely I would purchase 3 more the thing is getting painted for sunday. I didnt think of using blades on them, with buffs they ll get  near to 80 atks!!  +12 shoots. Even bladeless that unit can oneshoot almost everything.

Youre right with the endless gift but in my very aos game I played against a shooty tzeentch army and deleted her 1st turn and I was traumatized.

The other week I played 10 centigors (160 pts) with blades and got a 31 inches T1 charge, 41 atks generating MW at 5+, so I think theyare a thing to us.

Thanks again for the advice, I will try to get some drones !

80 attacks? I'm not so sure..... even taking into consideration the large footprint of the GUO, it's going to be almost impossible to get all 6 of those into cc.

With +2 attacks for the CA and the locus on them, it's 67 attacks. I can usually get, at best, maybe 4 of these guys in, what with terrain etc hindering movement. So call it 44-45. That's a little more realistic. Still a hefty punch if you manage to get blades on them. It's a nice combo, but the GUO can struggle at times to keep up.

Terrain will slow him down too. Maybe give him the flight artifact?

Also, remember that if they run to get close enough to charge, they can't shoot, and you may need to daisy-chain them out a bit to keep within range of the slower moving GUO. Therefore losing some attack potential.

Edited by Tasman
  • Like 1

Played a game last night with the following list, and it was absolutely disgusting....

LEADERS

Verminlord Corruptor (220)

General

Command Trait : Pestilent Breath

Artefact :  Sword of Judgement

Lore of Virulence : Glorious Afflictions

Plague Furnace (180)

Harbinger of Decay (160)

Festus The Leechlord (140)- Lore of Foulness : Plague Squall

UNITS

20 x Putrid Blightkings (580)

40 x Plague Monks (240)-Foetid Blades- Icon of Pestilence - Bale-chimes

30 x Plaguebearers (320)

The rats add exactly what i was missing, some cheap bodies in monks that have high potential damage and can even in death take out big tough monsters with the exploding  mortal wounds when they die. The verminlord corruptor with sword of judgement is a complete monster vs characters and with the plague spell and pestilence breath he is no slouch vs hoards either, being a 2 lvl wizard is just an incredible boon to the army too.

This coupled with 20 blightkings and harbinger to tank and hold the centre line makes for quite a force.

Anyone have similar experiences mixing maggotkin and pestilinence?

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Clanan said:

What do people think of Plague Squall versus the other two options? I love the flavor but not rolling any 6s is so painful.

Its not super consistent, but its one of the spells that helps to define our faction. The ability to snipe heroes off the board or work down behemoths, in conjunction with the wheel, is a big deal and makes plague squall a must take spell imo.

Hello all and fast question

Im joining a 2000 pts. tournament here in december and im going all out on Putrid Blightkings with Harbringer, Lord of blights and Blight Cyst combo.

Thing is, im 140 pts. short and im in doubt if I sould take Gutrot or Festus? Both seem really strong and i have good experince with 10 Blighkings showing up in oppoments deployment turn 1 and also enjoy the effekts of having a dispell and Curse of the Leaper.

Who would you pick of the two  and why? Really in doubt who would benefit the most

Thanks in advance :) 

11 minutes ago, Clanan said:

I would take Gutrot. I think the deepstrike, even with 5 PBKs, is more substantial for a slow Blightking list than an occasional heal and per-unit rend.

True.... in an either/or situation, Gutrot wins hands down. He's almost an auto-include in any list I make.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:14 AM, Dracan said:

Anyone have similar experiences mixing maggotkin and pestilinence?

Heya. I play the Blight Cyst 30 Blightkings, Festus, Bloab, Harbinger, Sorcerer and Lord of Blights.  And I’d quite like to include some pestillens because they look awesome. I have a Plagueclaw that I have messed around with in the list, but seeing that it’s unpainted and costs the same as s Blightking, it rarely sees play.

I really want to buy the Start Collecting Pestilens+ another 20 Plague Monks, but I’m not sure if the Plagueclaws and the Furnace are better than Blightkings in my list.  But with huge units of DoK I could see a  Plagueclaw or two doing some work/or fail miserably. 

I would also consider converting 20 Plague Monks to 20 Censer Bearers and having another 20 Plaguemonks with them for the Re-rolls. I have a bunch of bells from the Blightkings that could work really well as censers.

Those are my considerations for the Pestilens, I think they could look really cool and probably do some work, but I’m not sure if the Furnace or Plagueclaws have a place in my list. 

6 hours ago, Saxon said:

Plague Squall is the worst. D3 wounds on D6 units is very bad against my freeguild relying on model counts for buffs.

Not very reliable but if it goes off its unpleasant.

Sadly its not D3 on D6 units. You roll 7 dice and for each 6 u can choose a unit in sight of the caster. So after the spell goes off in most cases you only got too choose 1 target. 

Nevertheless the spell is pretty good for snipping as mentioned and if you are lucky it can decide games.

Just take care your caster is standing outside unbind range to increase your Chance to get the cast oft;) 

On 11/16/2018 at 7:02 PM, Clanan said:

What do people think of Plague Squall versus the other two options? I love the flavor but not rolling any 6s is so painful.

It’s terrible in my experience. High casting roll, reasonable chance of doing nothing, unlikely to get the exceptional roll you really want. 

I would always take something more reliable. 

However it has its uses, the unlimited range and potential (albeit unlikely) for damage  it’s scary for opponents and they will try to dispel it most times. This can allow you to get your next spell through if they don’t have many unbinds. 

Magnificent Buboes is my mortal spell of choice, decent range and with multiple debuffs it’s usable in almost any battle. 

5 hours ago, Zplash said:

Sadly its not D3 on D6 units. You roll 7 dice and for each 6 u can choose a unit in sight of the caster. So after the spell goes off in most cases you only got too choose 1 target. 

Nevertheless the spell is pretty good for snipping as mentioned and if you are lucky it can decide games.

Just take care your caster is standing outside unbind range to increase your Chance to get the cast oft;) 

I was up against bloab and he was doing D3 mortal wounds to a possible 7 units on a 4+. Is this legal or have I been screwed?