AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

3 hours ago, Riddles said:

Hi i was wondering what which of the maggoth lords is the best as i'm looking for a centerpiecy-y model for my maggotkin and the great unclean one is abit outside my budget

I'd suggest Bloab, unless you're a Nurgling fanatic like me, in which case it's all about Morbidex. I don't really get what they were going for with Orghotts.

15 hours ago, Riddles said:

Hi i was wondering what which of the maggoth lords is the best as i'm looking for a centerpiecy-y model for my maggotkin and the great unclean one is abit outside my budget

I inherited a Maggoth lord from a generous friend who didn't want it anymore and I've been struggling to decide what to do with it. I agree with what others have said, Bloab seems to be generally considered the best choice and his spell can be used to hasten the removal of a troublesome enemy unit/monster with a lot of wounds. When partnered with a Beast of Nurgle who can do damage when retreating, it's possible to have his spell deal damage during Movement, Hero, Combat and Shooting phases. A cool combo, but beasts are another model that is considered very weak for it's point value. Horticulous Slimux can also damage when retreating, but can't then charge in the same turn...

I'm tempted to build it as Morbidex though. Nurglings can be difficult to remove and he can replenish their numbers each turn. Even with Morbidex's buff they won't be doing much damage, but that's what Morbidex is there for with his range that can reach the enemy from behind a shieldwall of Nurglings. Not very competitive maybe, but for friendly battles it sounds like a lot of fun!

What I like about both of these options is that it takes another model that isn't very impressive by itself and gives them a chance to shine! Orghotts seems pretty lacklustre in comparison. The buff I really want to make the Maggoth Lords more valuable is to simply give them the Demon keyword so that they can activate the Locus abilities for Plaguebearers and Plague drones. I'm not hot on the lore but the Maggoth Beasts sure look like demons to me...

1 hour ago, Dreadmund said:

I'm not hot on the lore but the Maggoth Beasts sure look like demons to me...

To be fair GW is still side stepping the Khorne Juggernaut issue unless they really really want daemon items and abilities to not be applicable to the khorne jugger lord. (so I guess it could be a game play issue for khorne)

Hi guys

I can't seem to get a clear answer here. 

If I run a tamurkhan list. Can I actually take a maggotkin unique character. 

It says they can't get the TAMURKHANS HORDE key word, but the way it says "all units with the keyword benefit from the command traits" etc. Implying that they can be there without the keyword. Any also in the designers notes that ANY maggotkin unit can be taken in the army. 

Thoughts? 

Apologies if this has already been discussed, I'm only on page 12 of 59 and wanted to ask! 

Cheers ?

Screenshot_20181024-231129.jpg

I have a tournament coming up in November and below is what I have been running to good success, but I am thinking of changing one unit of 5 blight kings to a Verminlord corrupter and giving him a sword of judgement. That would take it to an even 2k. Thoughts on that?

Allegiance: Nurgle
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Gutrot Spume (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- Artefact: The Witherstave
Lord of Blights (140)
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
5 x Putrid Blightkings (160)
Blight Cyst (220)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 143

10 minutes ago, PUFNSTUF said:

I have a tournament coming up in November and below is what I have been running to good success, but I am thinking of changing one unit of 5 blight kings to a Verminlord corrupter and giving him a sword of judgement. That would take it to an even 2k. Thoughts on that?

Mortal Realm: Ghur
Great Unclean One (340)
- General
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: Tome of a Thousand Poxes
- Lore of Virulence: Glorious Afflictions
Gutrot Spume (140)
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- Artefact: The Witherstave
Lord of Blights (140)
Sorcerer (120)
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
Blight Cyst (220)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1940 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 143

Maybe replace the quicksilver swords with the soul snare shackles. Combined with spume they make for great opportunities to outflank your opponent . Verminlord with sword seems like a great hero killer on paper but I always found he died rather quickly in my pestilens lists.

Edited by robotnik_taco

2 hours ago, quina2525 said:

Hi guys

It says they can't get the TAMURKHANS HORDE key word, but the way it says "all units with the keyword benefit from the command traits" etc. Implying that they can be there without the keyword. Any also in the designers notes that ANY maggotkin unit can be taken in the army. 

Thoughts? 

Apologies if this has already been discussed, I'm only on page 12 of 59 and wanted to ask! 

Cheers ?

This has always confused me, too. RAW you can take unique characters, (without the run bonus and any TH buffs) but everyone on here and I think on the wiki says you absolutely can't take them.  I took their word for it and put my list in the trash.  Re-read it about a week ago and was like...ya, this doesn't prevent uniques, it specifically says any unit.

12 hours ago, quina2525 said:

Hi guys

Thoughts? 

Cheers ?

Yes you definitely can still take unique characters but they won’t benifit from the tamurkhan bonuses 

• Like 1

What's worth taking into a battle as an Ally for Maggotkin? Obviously we have marked Slaves to Darkness and Skaven Pestilens, but they don't count towards your ally limit because they have the Nurgle keyword. I mean what is actually worth spending your Ally point allowance on? We have a pretty broad ally list to draw from so there must be some choice models worth considering.

26 minutes ago, Dreadmund said:

What's worth taking into a battle as an Ally for Maggotkin? Obviously we have marked Slaves to Darkness and Skaven Pestilens, but they don't count towards your ally limit because they have the Nurgle keyword. I mean what is actually worth spending your Ally point allowance on? We have a pretty broad ally list to draw from so there must be some choice models worth considering.

I don't think Allies are relevant in a Nurgle army, unless you have a model you just really want to play. 
Nurgle has so many warscrolls, especially considering STD, Everchosen, Pestilens, etc.  Many allegiance/warscroll abilities affect "Nurgle" only.  Only nurgle's get the spell lore. Non-nurgles will even be damaged by your rotbringers/trees/other abilities. 

Say I take Grandfather's Blessing trait (start of your hero phase, move cycle of corruption forward/back)

As far as I know, you can resolve "start of your hero phase" abilities in any order you wish. Is that correct?

Say at the start of the round, cycle advances to 6. (start of your hero phase, d3 enemies d3 wounds). First thing I do at the start of my hero phase is trigger that. I then use my trait to move the cycle forward. It is still the start of my hero phase. Now at the start of their hero phase (which it still is) nurgle units heal d3 wounds. 

Is this legal? 

41 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Say I take Grandfather's Blessing trait (start of your hero phase, move cycle of corruption forward/back)

As far as I know, you can resolve "start of your hero phase" abilities in any order you wish. Is that correct?

Say at the start of the round, cycle advances to 6. (start of your hero phase, d3 enemies d3 wounds). First thing I do at the start of my hero phase is trigger that. I then use my trait to move the cycle forward. It is still the start of my hero phase. Now at the start of their hero phase (which it still is) nurgle units heal d3 wounds. 

Is this legal? 

As far as I know and as far as it was discussed on this Forum before: Yes it is - makes this CA an even better choice than I initially thought (although I don´t find most of the other CAs very useful anyway)

5 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Is this legal? 

Absolutely! I like to get the wheel to 6, make the mortal wounds rain, then switch back to 5 for the defensive buff. Then it goes to sick and try to cast foul regen to make it go back to 5. If not it ticks to 7 next turn for healing and again try to cast foul regen. Great use of the wheel! Even better with witherstave for enemy re-rolling 6s ot hit AND wound!!!

On 10/25/2018 at 3:56 PM, Dreadmund said:

What's worth taking into a battle as an Ally for Maggotkin?

I´m running a unit of 10 Chaoshounds in my 1k list just to

- get some screen against alpha strikes

- beef up my numbers

- get a fast moving unit

I think they work fairly well!

On 10/25/2018 at 9:56 AM, Dreadmund said:

I think sorokyl is right that we often don't NEED allies; we have enough tools in the Nurgle tool-box.  Warscrolls without the NURGLE key-word are outside our synergy and are possibly harmed by being near the rest of the friendly army.

However, this is a good question still and shouldn't be written-off so easily. The first answer that comes to mind for me is a Jabberslythe! It's a fun, cheap, tactical monster that has good speed and can easily become a thorn in your opponent's side. They got nerfed a little bit with the BoC release, but still an interesting model. Gargants got a little better with the BoC release and might be a fun ally. It's always fun to kitbash a nurgle giant. A daemon prince of slaanesh might be fun to play around with.

Speaking of the jabberslythe, I've been toying with a concept trying to do as much backlash damage as possible. The GUO and plague monks both have built in damage reflection,  sprinkle with some allied wrathmongers and a jabberslythe or two, the bloated with corruption trait and bile heart artifact, blammo, your opponent will flinch with each attack. 

A good list no, but fun maybe

Hi everyone,

I'm new to AoS and got some Nurgle Deamons to get startet. So far I own:
1 Horticulous Slimux
1 Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle
30 Plaguebearers
6 Plague Drones
6 Nurglings
20 Marauders (back from the WHFB days)
Enough Chaos Warriors and 10 Knights (back from the WHFB days)

Now im thinking about my first 1000 points list for wich I don't want to spend much more money on right now so I thought of these 5 lists for which I only need 1 addinonal box at most.

1. list: 1000/1000
1 Horticulous Slimux (220)
1 Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)
20 Plaguebearers (240)
10 Plaguebearers (120)
3 Plague Drones (200)
3 Nurglings (100)
+: got all the models
-: don't like the Nurglings that much and the Plaguebearers are split awkwardly

2. list: 980/1000
30 Plaguebearers (320)
10 Plaguebearers (120)
3 Plague Drones (200)
+: list seems fine
-: need 10 more Plaguebearers

3. list: 980/1000
30 Plaguebearers (320)
20 Marauders (120)
3 Plague Drones (200)
+: got all the models and list seems fine
-: don't like the Marauders that much

4. list: 1000/1000
30 Plaguebearers (320)
20 Plaguemonks (140)
3 Plague Drones (200)
+: love me some crazy rats and list seems fine
-: need 20 Plaguemonks

5. list: 980/1000
10 Plaguebearers (120)
10 Plaguebearers (120)
3 Plague Drones (200)
3 Plague Drones (200)
+: got all the models and love me some flies
-: units are very small

Which list do you like the best or do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Mahalek

14 hours ago, Mahalek said:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to AoS and got some Nurgle Deamons to get startet. So far I own:
1 Horticulous Slimux
1 Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle
30 Plaguebearers
6 Plague Drones
6 Nurglings
20 Marauders (back from the WHFB days)
Enough Chaos Warriors and 10 Knights (back from the WHFB days)

Now im thinking about my first 1000 points list for wich I don't want to spend much more money on right now so I thought of these 5 lists for which I only need 1 addinonal box at most.

1. list: 1000/1000
20 Plaguebearers (240)
10 Plaguebearers (120)
3 Plague Drones (200)
3 Nurglings (100)
+: got all the models
-: don't like the Nurglings that much and the Plaguebearers are split awkwardly

2. list: 980/1000
30 Plaguebearers (320)
10 Plaguebearers (120)
3 Plague Drones (200)
+: list seems fine
-: need 10 more Plaguebearers

3. list: 980/1000
30 Plaguebearers (320)
20 Marauders (120)
3 Plague Drones (200)
+: got all the models and list seems fine
-: don't like the Marauders that much

4. list: 1000/1000
30 Plaguebearers (320)
20 Plaguemonks (140)
3 Plague Drones (200)
+: love me some crazy rats and list seems fine
-: need 20 Plaguemonks

5. list: 980/1000
10 Plaguebearers (120)
10 Plaguebearers (120)
3 Plague Drones (200)
3 Plague Drones (200)
+: got all the models and love me some flies
-: units are very small

Which list do you like the best or do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

List 2 is the one I'd play, (in fact I play one almost exactly like that quite often) Good survivability, and with the wheel shenanigans potential, can be quick enough to get to objectives where your opponent will struggle to remove those PBs.?

• Thanks 1

I was wondering if I could also get some help:

I'm new to AoS - planning to play small-ish games with family and friends - two Stormcast, one other Nurgle, and one Nighthaunt.  I need to buy models (currently have none) and get to work building/painting and was considering these lists.  Please let me know which you would work towards if in my shoes:

1k Glottkin List:

Lord o f Blights (General, Hideous Visage, The Carrion Dirge)

The Glottkin (Blades of Putrefaction, Fleshy Abundance)

40x Chaos Marauders (Axes, Damned Icon)

5x Putrid Blightkings

Malevolent Maelstrom 

Total = 940 pts

1k Plague Cyst List:

Harbinger of Decay (General, Pestilent Breath, The Witherstave)

Lord of Plagues (Rustfang)

3 units of 5x Putid Blightkings

Plague Cyst

Total = 980 pts

Thanks for your advice!

Edited by Snarkhunter

You will "have" to buy at least one other box as well - a Feculent Gnarlmaw. The following list uses only models you allready posess and therefore enables your army budget to be invested in a botanical centerpiece.

Leaders
Poxbringer Herald of Nurgle (120)

Battleline
30 x Plaguebearers (320)
20 x Chaos Warriors (360)
- Hand Weapon & Shield

Units
3 x Plague Drones (200)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 90

I guess you could replace 10 of the Warriors with 5 Knights. Furthermore you will have 3 more Drones and "hopefully" some dead Plaguebearers for mid- to lategame summoning shenanigans. Just make sure you recieve the +2 movement from the wheel in turn 1 and try to put your massive amount of wounds on the objectives. Depending on the models you have it might be better to equip the Warriors with an offensive weapon choice. 

I am not a Nurgle player myself - just creeping the forums of my regular opponents factions. So tak everything I present with a grain of salt ?

Edited by Isotop
  • Thanks 1

So i wantedto share my list and experience i had in a game against khorne daemons today. 

My list was as follows: Glottkin, LoB (rustfang, resilient), PBK 1 10 and 2 of 5, Gutrot, 30 Plaguebearers and a scrivener with witherstave.

Battalion i used was blight cyst.

The Khorne list had a Skarbrand, 3 units of 10 bloodletters, a skullcanon, and 3 units of bloodcrushers. And two heroes i forgot.

We played total conquest and i started of, Glottkin was in the middle with the unit of 10 PBK and LoB, i had 5 PBK on home objective and moved PB and scrivener on the objective on the left. At the end of movement i placed gutrot and the PBK at the objective at the right above me and then it was his turn, he shot with his canon and i got a wound on the 10 PBK.  ( so that was 3 victory points for me 1 for him)

He won the roll and charged his skarbrand to my Glottkin, he killed him with two strokes of slaughter and carnage! I was flabbergasted..no more: blades of putrefaction, fleshy abundance or lord of nurgle.....aargh. Anyhow, my Gutrot and PBK killed bloodletters who came for the objective... and my 10 blightkings, i could pile 7 around skarbrand, killed him (rolled alott of sixes luckily)

So i still had hold of all my objectives ad he only the one in his territory. Next rounds went the same the blightkings and LoB killed everything in the midd field, canon, bloodletters and a hero while my plaguebearers where resilient as resilient goes against his bloodcrushers. (The objctive was also nxt to a wood which was  mystical, so an xtra mortal wound save on top of the resilient. 

After 4 rounds we called it a day, he couldnt win anymore so had a major victory and major fun. Although, i had to whipe a tear when i lost the Glott.

(makes me wonder, since i didnt really make use of Glottkin, maybe a nice substitute....one that doesnt draw that much attention..)