AoS 2 - Maggotkin of Nurgle Discussion

Gaz Taylor

20 hours ago, kore5022 said:

Did you play 40k before the big reboot? It was ****** awful and the product of each new book creeping on the last.

Books need to not try to match the previous best or the game goes to complete ******. If smashing face at tournament is your ideal gaming experience go play the meta book?

I have literally no idea what you are talking about, neither did i ever play 40K or desire to have a broken book.

I am jusy tired of always being on the wrong end of the leverage just by being a chaos player.

At game night at the club, we have literal verbal fights who gets the right to play against chaos.

The release of the StD is still a mood point thinking back.

Super great book in Bonereapers, absolute stinker StD, fantastic book for Lumineth.

I really don't care bout tournaments anymore, i just don't want to be in that group, people fight over to baby seal club.

And no, i am not the worst player, i won tournaments in 7th edition with WoC and am able to judge if a book is a lost cause.

The direction we are going, reminds me very strongly of High Elfes in the old world

So before the book released I was really hoping the Glottkin would be good this edition, but looking at the points and stats I'm just not excited about them. They're about as resilient as a mega gargant and hit slightly harder, but they're over 200 points more expensive and half the speed. They're a wizard sure, but the spells are only so so and unlike the gargants they only count as 5 models on an objective so I'd call that a wash. I really want to pick them up and paint them, but at their monetary cost I want something more to justify the purchase than a hobby project. Has anyone had any good experience with them in any games that can get me excited enough to take the plunge? Any wow moments that made you think they were totally worth 700 points?

Edited by Grimrock

The glotkin has hands down the best command ability in the game “Blitzkrieg” being able to charge your opponent at the end of their movement phase with glotkin and any maggotkin unit is Amazing. 

let’s say your faced with 4 nasty dragons 3” away you can charge glotkin and a unit of daemons (plaguebearers or nurglings imo) to the one flank of the 4 dragons this limits the attacks back at you and even better,if you have summoned a sloppily bilepiper your turn before they can’t even pile in so at most you have 1 dragons attacks on glotkin while they get to go to town. 

that’s just one limited example but other stuff as well 

lets say they move 5 dawnriders onto an objective within 12” of glotkin there’s a chance you can charge them, do 4 mortal wounds in charge phase and then smash them in the combat phase and you score objective not opponent. 

plus you are staffing disease points out if you make the charge. 

his bravery check in combat is also amazing to retreat or take d6 mortals 

700pts is a lot but I think it’s worth it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

The glotkin has hands down the best command ability in the game “Blitzkrieg” being able to charge your opponent at the end of their movement phase with glotkin and any maggotkin unit is Amazing. 

let’s say your faced with 4 nasty dragons 3” away you can charge glotkin and a unit of daemons (plaguebearers or nurglings imo) to the one flank of the 4 dragons this limits the attacks back at you and even better,if you have summoned a sloppily bilepiper your turn before they can’t even pile in so at most you have 1 dragons attacks on glotkin while they get to go to town. 

that’s just one limited example but other stuff as well 

lets say they move 5 dawnriders onto an objective within 12” of glotkin there’s a chance you can charge them, do 4 mortal wounds in charge phase and then smash them in the combat phase and you score objective not opponent. 

plus you are staffing disease points out if you make the charge. 

his bravery check in combat is also amazing to retreat or take d6 mortals 

700pts is a lot but I think it’s worth it 

I get Blightkrieg can be potentially very strong, but I don't think it's going to be that great in every game. Your opponent is only going to put units near him that want to get into combat anyway, so charging won't change a ton in that respect. Sure you can try to organize some complicated setup where you charge the flanks of a single unit, but your opponent should be planning around it and being careful with their positioning. I think the best use is going to be sending in chaff to try to waste a turn of attacks or preventing your opponent from charging onto an objective, but the army doesn't exactly have a ton of chaff to begin with. Especially since you have to toss 700 points into the Glottkin to begin with. It's all theory on my part though, have you actually used Blightkrieg to good effect in multiple games? Even when your opponent knew it was coming?

I’ve only managed to use it twice but both times was great 

munificent wanderers

glotkin (Rancid visitations)

lord of plagues (Infernal conduit, splithorn helm)

rotbringer sorcerer (Gift of disease)

10 blightkings

3x10 plague bearers 

nice simple list, glotkin is always casting mystic shield and abundance of flesh on the blightkings unless he is in range for rancid visitations. Sorcerer try’s to gift disease every turn. Glotkin, lord and blightkings run every turn to try to corner the enemy or control the objectives. PBS just score where they can, and if threatened are at least doubling up on the disease tokens. 

I like infernal conduit but am thinking I may switch that to living plague or overwhelming stench (I do like the chance of getting 7 CP turn one though for a cheeky summon but over the 5 turns think the other 2 are better, well need to test that but that’s the gut feeling)

the other change could be drop 10 pb for 2x3 nurglings which I’d like to try as they could be useful cheap screens if needed or use their ability to sneak into enemy territory earlier to get in the way etc… 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2022 at 1:17 PM, Sangfroid said:

I’ve only managed to use it twice but both times was great 

munificent wanderers

glotkin (Rancid visitations)

lord of plagues (Infernal conduit, splithorn helm)

rotbringer sorcerer (Gift of disease)

10 blightkings

3x10 plague bearers 

nice simple list, glotkin is always casting mystic shield and abundance of flesh on the blightkings unless he is in range for rancid visitations. Sorcerer try’s to gift disease every turn. Glotkin, lord and blightkings run every turn to try to corner the enemy or control the objectives. PBS just score where they can, and if threatened are at least doubling up on the disease tokens. 

I like infernal conduit but am thinking I may switch that to living plague or overwhelming stench (I do like the chance of getting 7 CP turn one though for a cheeky summon but over the 5 turns think the other 2 are better, well need to test that but that’s the gut feeling)

the other change could be drop 10 pb for 2x3 nurglings which I’d like to try as they could be useful cheap screens if needed or use their ability to sneak into enemy territory earlier to get in the way etc… 

You also still have enough points for an emerald lifeswarm. It's quise useful in this army. I would've preferred a soulscream bridge but it's still ok.

I'm going to try this next Friday with the endless spell.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 1:55 AM, Grimrock said:

I get Blightkrieg can be potentially very strong, but I don't think it's going to be that great in every game. Your opponent is only going to put units near him that want to get into combat anyway, so charging won't change a ton in that respect. Sure you can try to organize some complicated setup where you charge the flanks of a single unit, but your opponent should be planning around it and being careful with their positioning. I think the best use is going to be sending in chaff to try to waste a turn of attacks or preventing your opponent from charging onto an objective, but the army doesn't exactly have a ton of chaff to begin with. Especially since you have to toss 700 points into the Glottkin to begin with. It's all theory on my part though, have you actually used Blightkrieg to good effect in multiple games? Even when your opponent knew it was coming?

The power of the Glottkin comes from denying your opponent battle tactics. Wants Broken Ranks? Charge with something else and tie the enemy unit up. Slay the Warlord? Get that objective? Etc. etc. Thats imo the reason why hes priced so high. He punches pretty well and is effective 30 wounds which is a lot. 

Yes its possible to play around him by being outside of range, but you can put the Glottkin in an area that denies so much space. You can be super aggressive with him with a couple of nearby units since hes *almost* immune to melee combat due to you being able to deny charges or decide what gets into combat with what. 

Pairing him with either 10 PBs to tag multiple units and preventing them from charging or simply a single BoN is really strong imo. 

The cool thing with tagging multiple units is that the opponent isnt allowed to do a pile-in since they havent charged, assuming unit A fights and you start removing models from unit B or C so they are no longer within 3" of your unit.

Edited by Kasper
  • Like 1

Trying to make a 1000 point army to build towards, how is this for a starter? ..

Notnsure what subfaction, traits and artifacts to go for either.

LEADERS

Poxbringer (145)

Rotbringer Sorcerer (145)

- General

BATTLELINE

5 x Putrid Blightkings (250)

10 x Plaguebearers (150)

2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)

TOTAL POINTS: 910/1000

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

On 1/8/2022 at 12:15 AM, Grimrock said:

Any wow moments that made you think they were totally worth 700 points?

Maybe he is THE Key-Think in a Anti-All-Out-Dragon-Army….

I believe in the next Month i will see 4-5 All-OutDragon Army on a 32-Man-Tournament Event.

With Glootkin the Dragon Come in Front of u, try to Blast u Away, okay could Work but most of the Times it will not, and then Most of the Guys in my Playerfield build them with Lance. Take Gloot and 10 Bk or 4 Pussgoyle or so with him and chrage them...

BUMM from that Moment on u and he stand there, and if u Lucky and get a double Turn Glootkin will stand, and stand and Stand.

THIS could be a Gamechanger jes, and i believe he will Go down to 640 Maybe 660 Points. Jes that would be good.

So know a Question from myself.

I Play at the Weekend against LRL Teclic. What can i do? here my opponents List and my:

My List:

Allegiance: Maggotkin of Nurgle
- Subfaction: Drowned Men
- Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Orghotts Daemonspew (300)*
Festus the Leechlord (150)*
-
Lore of Malignance: Plague Squall
Lord of Afflictions (210)*
-
General
- Command Trait: Overpowering Stench
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact)
- Lore of Malignance: Gift of Disease

Battleline
5 x Putrid Blightkings (250)*
5 x Putrid Blightkings (250)*
4 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (440)*
-
Reinforced x 1
2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)*
10 x Plaguebearers (150)*

Endless Spells & Invocations
The Burning Head (20)

Core Battalions
*Battle Regiment

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 136

So what do u Think, drop the LoAF and the PusBL or not. If i won the drop, go first or go second? I know I get no speel out but this is okay, my list is for testing in general.

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 12:12 AM, Harbinger-of-Nurgle said:

I just brought the Vanguard box set and a Great unclean one. just wondering but which is the better loadout for the Great Unclean one?

Also is the Harbinger of Nurgle still ok to use planning on converting one up as always liked the unit

As mention above the Harbinger is rubbish now. :(

For mean the Great Unclean One should be Bilesword definitely (I don't rate the Bell at all unless your doing some crazy summoning focused build).  For the second weapon it depends on what other casters/Endless spells you have, if you'll use the extra cast Bileblade, if it'll end up without anything good to cast most of the time: Flail.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nasnad said:

Trying to make a 1000 point army to build towards, how is this for a starter? ..

Notnsure what subfaction, traits and artifacts to go for either.

LEADERS

Poxbringer (145)

Rotbringer Sorcerer (145)

- General

BATTLELINE

5 x Putrid Blightkings (250)

10 x Plaguebearers (150)

2 x Pusgoyle Blightlords (220)

TOTAL POINTS: 910/1000

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Looks solid enough to me. At those points you could add an endless spell for the sorcerer to cast as well to use his corrupting ability. Maybe master of magic for a trait, arcane tome for the artifact, and rancid visitations for the spell? That way he could cast the portal with and then rancid visitations through. It's not great since he doesn't have any bonuses but the re-roll should help most of the time. Honestly sub factions aren't too big of a deal, you can just pick one you think sounds nice. If you decide to make the poxbringer your general you could go with the extra tree sub faction, or maybe just the pre-game move on the blightlords would be easiest. 

On 1/7/2022 at 1:12 AM, Harbinger-of-Nurgle said:

I just brought the Vanguard box set and a Great unclean one. just wondering but which is the better loadout for the Great Unclean one?

I would magnetize that bad boy. Its probably the easiest model to magnetize so you can freely switch between Rotigus and GUO with the different loadouts. All the loadouts on the GUO are viable and it depends on what you want to do with the list.

The bell is legit if you plan to play Befouling and play around getting 7 summoning pts turn 1 to summon a sloppity bilepiper. 

The bileblade is fine if hes a support role and you intend to cast 3 spells a turn (lore spell, mystic shield and maybe an endless spell or Gift of Disease if you go for poxes artefact).

Flail/sword combo is great if you want to max out on damage and go for flaming weapon route.

I've had very good success so far playing the following list and thinking of taking it to a tournament in April, The Glottkin's Blightkrieg command ability is such an incredible tactical tool and great fun to use, it gets around heavy shooting armies by charging them in the movement phase to avoid unleash hell and the potential to deny battle tactics puts plans into ruin if your opponent doesn't specifically play around this. Hold the line is an easy thing to do with 4 BK units.

Spoiler

- Subfaction: Blessed Sons
- Triumphs:
The Glottkin (700)*
- Lore of Malignance: Rancid Visitations
Lord of Blights (150)*
- General
- Command Trait: Overpowering Stench
- Artefact: Flesh Peeler
Festus the Leechlord (150)*
- Lore of Malignance: Gift of Disease
5 x Putrid Blightkings (250)*
*Battle Regiment

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 117
Drops: 1

Aside from that... thinking of a fun ambush list to play though with Morbidex Twiceborn and some Nurglings (with more to summon around him with CP) using Gutrot Sprume bringing Morby into the backfield with some Blightkings to join up with the Nurglings popping out of terrain. It should effectively be a 1 drop list with the hunters battalion being set up in reserve along with Gutrot? (Edit: Apparently not, I've never played with reserves before...)

Spoiler

- Triumphs:
Lord of Blights (150)*
- General
Morbidex Twiceborn (320)*      - Set in reserve
Gutrot Spume (170)                   - Set in reserve
5 x Putrid Blightkings (250)**   - Set in reserve
5 x Putrid Blightkings (250)**   - Set in reserve
6 x Nurglings (210)**                 - Set in reserve
- Reinforced x 1
*Battle Regiment
**Hunters of the Heartlands

Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Wounds: 141
Drops: 5                                      

The plan would be to pin the enemy down on both sides, grind them down with disease and get that early aggression on back objectives.

Edited by Smashin'

22 minutes ago, Smashin' said:

t should effectively be a 1 drop list with the hunters battalion being set up in reserve along with Gutrot?

Sry i think it is no 1 Drop. Glutrot take them with it after e is set up in reserve so it is a 5 Drop.

Your Glootkin List i like a lot.

Your Reserve List to but i dont think Nurglings (with or withour MT) Arent that effektiv. Maybe for OBjektPlay but not for fightint rsy

22 minutes ago, ibel said:

Sry i think it is no 1 Drop. Glutrot take them with it after e is set up in reserve so it is a 5 Drop.

Your Glootkin List i like a lot.

Your Reserve List to but i dont think Nurglings (with or withour MT) Arent that effektiv. Maybe for OBjektPlay but not for fightint rsy

Ah yeah thanks, I thought that might be the case hence the question mark. :D 

As for nurglings, I personally really like them just because 5 attacks a piece for stacking disease (which is great in the current save stacking meta I seem to be facing, I don't expect their actual attacks to deal damage), and as an effective screen for tying up enemy units, a unit of 3 I summoned soaked up Be'lakor's attacks losing only 1 model while stacking disease up high enough to deal a few mortals. I think of them as lesser Blightkings.

Edited by Smashin'

18 minutes ago, Smashin' said:

I think of them as lesser Blightkings.

Ähm puhhh, not realy for me.

In every Point sry they not as good as BK, 1 Nurgling Base ist 35 Points, 1 BK is 50 Points 

and no just 2 Nurgling Bases are not as Durabyl or Have more DMG than ONE BK. Nurglings are great for early Summoning or Objectiv Grabbel.

Infight they okay because of DiseaseP. But, i didnt see them in any Maine Tatkik at all.

MorbixT is a very good Tank and jes He and 6 Nurgling Bases Hold a Flank or so very good but not the Middel. For me there Points must be at 90 or maybe 95 bute at 105 they are to expensive.

5 minutes ago, ibel said:

Ähm puhhh, not realy for me.

In every Point sry they not as good as BK, 1 Nurgling Base ist 35 Points, 1 BK is 50 Points 

and no just 2 Nurgling Bases are not as Durabyl or Have more DMG than ONE BK. Nurglings are great for early Summoning or Objectiv Grabbel.

Infight they okay because of DiseaseP. But, i didnt see them in any Maine Tatkik at all.

MorbixT is a very good Tank and jes He and 6 Nurgling Bases Hold a Flank or so very good but not the Middel. For me there Points must be at 90 or maybe 95 bute at 105 they are to expensive.

That's why I have 4 units of actual Blightkings lol, any more than that is overkill. They are literally to do as you said last and hold / push a flank with Morbidex whilst stacking disease points, I only compare them due to the same wounds and attack numbers, the battleshock healing also very useful and can make up for the lack of armour save. They are by far my favoured summoning unit also but each to their own.

Nurglings are cute and I enjoy them, I won't let anyone take that from me! :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smashin' said:

Reveal hidden contents

- Triumphs:
The Glottkin (700)*
- Lore of Malignance: Rancid Visitations
Lord of Blights (150)*
- General
*Battle Regiment

Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Wounds: 117
Drops: 1

I really like the Glottkin list. And I have played that exakt list a few times with good results. 

I have been thinking though to make one of the BK units 10 strong. Would that be to much maybe?

10 minutes ago, Dejnar said:

I really like the Glottkin list. And I have played that exakt list a few times with good results. 

I have been thinking though to make one of the BK units 10 strong. Would that be to much maybe?

Personally I think it's best as multiple small units, they are tough as it is and I feel like having the flexibility to spread your units more is important with a low model count. I had one unit of 5 with fleshy abundance counter-charge and tie up 3 units of 10 Lumineth Windchargers soaking 90-ish shots in the shooting phase and surviving.

If a unit of 10 calls to you give it a shot and see how it goes! I used such a unit in the previous edition.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Dejnar said:

Jes Maybe.

What i don`t Like on the Glootkin List is the Lak of Mobillity.

Maybe a LoAf, 2 Pusgoyle and a Single Pusgoyle ?! more Speed.... and u can Maybe dominate ONE Side and hold the Other ?!

3 hours ago, Smashin' said:

The plan would be to pin the enemy down on both sides, grind them down with disease and get that early aggression on back objectives.

I feel like deepstrike is really important to us. Not only is the army relatively slow all around, you are also incentivized to do it by gaining a significant amount of summoning points by having stuff in their territory. Ontop of this its an easy battle tactic with Savage Spearhead and you get to threaten those support pieces etc. sitting in the back that you generally otherwise cant reach. You also put pressure on objectives that are otherwise hard to get to. 

I almost never write a list without either Spume or LoA. Spume is so good since its any mortal unit now, including the Maggoth Lords. LoA is great and offers some more options since it isnt board edge. Im not a huge fan of Nurglings since they have to come down turn 1, although you could probably put them near objectives as a roadblock for your opponent. 

1 hour ago, Dejnar said:

have been thinking though to make one of the BK units 10 strong. Would that be to much maybe?

I dont think theres any point in going 10. They only fight in 1 rank anyways and your healing is much better with MSU units. 

• Like 1