AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

22 minutes ago, BDJames said:

Yes, I should have mentioned that.  I know the book is coming, but unfortunately, I need to starting building and painting now.  I'll just have to adapt down the road like everyone else.  

I figured Gore Pilgrims would be the building block.  But there does seem to be a lot of flexibility within that structure.

Not so! Gore Pilgrims is incrediy versitile for your list. Both Secretors and Priests can buff everything in your army, and the battalion simply expands their range and succesful prayers. And the tax for taking isnt too bad, only needing at least 170 points of reavers and warriors. At its cheapest its 710 points, leaving you with a lot of freedom to build out from there. As stated before, gore pilgrims essentially buffs everything youd bring.

7 hours ago, jazman84 said:

Do you mean Skullreapers?

Oh sorry, yeah it happened again, too many Skull named/Blood named units. I mend Skullreapers yes, at least for now, as long as you can still buff them to do easier MW with a Slaughterpriest.

1 hour ago, Kazimer said:

So are bloodletters now inferior to Reavers and Warriors as a battleline choice? And on that note, are reavers better than warriors? Or do warriors still have a place?

A single unit of 30 has a place if you have a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster, otherwise you really need Daemon specific Command Abilities for them to make them worth taking. I'd say a single unit of Warriors has a place too, Gore Pilgrims wants them for example. Bloodreavers are a good cheap Battleline filler. 

1 hour ago, fredster4050 said:

Quick question; Can you use the Wrath of Khorne's Command Ability 'Lord of the Blood Hunt' on Khorne Daemon heroes, or only daemon units?

Heroes count as units of 1 model for all purposes.

So yes, works on heroes too.

Edited by Retro

7 hours ago, Kazimer said:

So are bloodletters now inferior to Reavers and Warriors as a battleline choice? And on that note, are reavers better than warriors? Or do warriors still have a place?

I like Reavers in minimum units for chaff and bloodtide point generation. Warriors in 10 man squads are good for objects and holding ground with the unit champion (with the Goreglaive special weapon) being able to dish out some hurt. Not amazing but they look cool and aren't bad. I'm hoping they get some love in the new battletome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coyote said:

Another question- anyone play regularly without using any Battalions?

1 in 4 games I tend to play double Secrators and no battalions. Those lists tend to be 160 wounds+ minimum. You really miss the Priest rerolls, but I tend to win anyway just due to the volume of unbreakable wounds running around...

7 hours ago, Coyote said:

Another question- anyone play regularly without using any Battalions?

I’m looking to  establish my stastically reliable baseline for unit performance.  

Used to be a plan, but with AoS2 I think there is an easy choice, you want a Battallion, especially if there is a nice additional bonus. CP matter, power boosts do to, in the form of artefacts.

But really stastically reliable unit preformance isn't too important, not by model placement comparison and securing objectives. We don't need all hammer units this edition. You want one or two, but you certainly want two units that can hold objectives, if your aiming for a competitive purpose that is. 

Long story short, due to scenario's, CP, Artefacts and importance of model placement, statistics don't really help you get a better gamer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Killax said:

But really stastically reliable unit preformance isn't too important, not by model placement comparison and securing objectives. We don't need all hammer units this edition. You want one or two, but you certainly want two units that can hold objectives, if your aiming for a competitive purpose that is. 

That's the point. It's all about placement and move, not units destroyed (maybe there are two exceptions). I'm curious how GW want to guarantee that for Khorne.

• Like 1

In your blooodletters units, do you guys make your champion be a Icon Bearer ? This way, if you loose all models but 1, you would keep your champion AND keep the ability to repop d6 letters this turn...

Not OP but it seems to be the good choice. I'm currently building my first unit ^^.

Screenshot_20190216-163553_WH AoS.jpg

13 minutes ago, Beulettor said:

In your blooodletters units, do you guys make your champion be a Icon Bearer ? This way, if you loose all models but 1, you would keep your champion AND keep the ability to repop d6 letters this turn...

Not OP but it seems to be the good choice. I'm currently building my first unit ^^.

Screenshot_20190216-163553_WH AoS.jpg

I do not for aesthetic reasons. Also many places rule that command models must be separate (you champions, musicians, and standard bearers must all be different models).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tamurkhan said:

In terms of best battleline, it's really tough to say because of the new book on the way. We probably know where about bloodletters stand. 

Absolutely, plus I also think that the 4 huge Battalions will be our sub-factions rules. This means that for one particular sub-faction Bloodletters are amazing, while for others they arn't that important. I do really believe this concept will be fleshed out in this new edition of Blades of Khorne.

1 hour ago, Holy_Diver said:

That's the point. It's all about placement and move, not units destroyed (maybe there are two exceptions). I'm curious how GW want to guarantee that for Khorne.

As am I, I do hope and think we'll geta  Khorne rapture terrain piece aswell, perhaps it won't do too much but if anything it could act as a summonning beacon for our Daemons. This part is currently what we can do when models are placed and kept in a key place. With terrain it would allow us to improve our scenario game considerably. 

I really hope the updated battletome fixes the problem of our army being so damn slow. Almost all of our damage is limited to melee yet we have no deep strike, WoK Thirster buffs Daemon units only, Bloodstoker ability cannot be spammed and so on.

Edited by JetBlackSVW
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aaron Schmidt said:

Can you run the Khorne Beasts of Chaos battalion under Blades of Khorne allegiance?

Yep. The only requirement for Khorne allegiance is the Khorne keyword.

So you can have a Brass Despoilers battalion nested inside a Khorne army, because the Beasts in that battalion gain the keyword.

• Like 1

Keep in mind though, a LOT of Beasts of Chaos units fuction better with their own Allegiance as they do with (Blades of) Khorne's.
However if you really want to go that route, I will not be stopping you :) . It's just that I feel their own Allegiance adds so much more as Khorne's does for that army. In a similar way, Archaon is still an awesome General but I feel certain Allegiance abilities make him work much better as Khorne's does.

Khorne has the massive added benifit of snowballing through, the more you kill (get killed) the nicer buffs you get. But other than that it doesn't really add so much, things like anti-magic arn't really incorporated too well within the Allegiance ability. Spending 2 BTP is cool to stop a spell, but if that's all you have then it's still going to be a hard battle. For us it works well because we have sufficient anti-magic units as is. As before all our army wants/needs at this point to claw back into top competitive positions is a (free) movement buff somehow or (free) extra battle phases. I still think it's very likely it will come. Offcourse at the expense of MW being 6s all the way and likely the Bloodsecrator becomming wholly within. 

As we're still waiting on new info about or next Battalion. I'd like to ask a What If question.

What if the 4 great Battalions in our book become the sub-factions, which one (or two) would you choose?

• The Reapers of Vengeance
  • The Bloodlords
  • The Goretide
  • The Skullfiend Tribe

My personal favourites would be The Bloodlords and The Goretide though if the prospect would be to have direct acces to the abilities they give I really think my interest in playing Khorne would massively spike again, as The Reapers would set up very well for a first turn assault, and The Skullfiend Tribe would be epic against armies who run multiple Monsters.

The most beautiful part for me would be that The Goretide would allow players to really run Bloodbound again and the same can be said for The Reapers of Vengeace for those who like to go mono Daemon.  Especially when the Bloodsecrator will be limited in effect the need for using it would be lowered, even moreso when you also have a Daemon army option that actively wants you to run Heralds of Blood. 

• Like 1

IMO Khorne Allegiance gives you three heroes that add an incredible amount to the army.

Bloodstokers can use their whips to add 3" to advances AND charges to a unit, effectively adding +6 movement to your Bestigors in a turn since they can advance and charge, Slaughterpriests can buff your Beastmen in radical ways (+1 to hit, +1 to save, I heard you like Gors with a 3+ save) and finally, Bloodsecretors. I don't think I need to tell you how good a battleshock immunity and attack multiplier unit is for ANY army.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Killax said:

As we're still waiting on new info about or next Battalion. I'd like to ask a What If question.

What if the 4 great Battalions in our book become the sub-factions, which one (or two) would you choose?

• The Reapers of Vengeance
  • The Bloodlords
  • The Goretide
  • The Skullfiend Tribe

Skullfiend Tribe for sure. I'm currently using Skulltake Batallion anyway as I'm trying to stay away from anything involving Slaughterpriests. Extra help against monsters will be helpful as I don't really like the looks or mechanics of Wrathmongers either .  Plus I painted my models to pretty much the same colour scheme by coincidence lol.

When it comes to subfactions in other books, how many units are mandatory in general? I'm currently one Skullreaper unit short of the full batallion, would be nice to not have to buy and paint another one.. 

I can also imagine we will get a more summon-based subfaction (thinking 40k Word Bearers style).

Edited by Bjornas
  • Like 1

Goretide would be cool and I would consider running the mighty lord of khorne for the first time with those buffs. Heres a question; does the mighty lord benefit from both of those abilities (Aqshy's Bane and Hot-Headed Conquerors)? He is a a Goretide unit afterall and the wording doesn't exclude him from the second ability- it feels a little abusive and prob not the intention but who knows for sure?

Skullfiend and Bloodlords are both cool but its a bit janky to only get a single attack with one melee weapon. Just let us attack normally in the hero phase.

Bloodcrushers now have the Reapers of Vengeance unstoppable charge rule as standard but the hero phase movement buff would be awesome. 

For me  a big factor will be any mandatory command traits and artifacts and what these do. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Goretide would be cool and I would consider running the mighty lord of khorne for the first time with those buffs. Heres a question; does the mighty lord benefit from both of those abilities (Aqshy's Bane and Hot-Headed Conquerors)? He is a a Goretide unit afterall and the wording doesn't exclude him from the second ability- it feels a little abusive and prob not the intention but who knows for sure?

Skullfiend and Bloodlords are both cool but its a bit janky to only get a single attack with one melee weapon. Just let us attack normally in the hero phase.

Bloodcrushers now have the Reapers of Vengeance unstoppable charge rule as standard but the hero phase movement buff would be awesome. 

For me  a big factor will be any mandatory command traits and artifacts and what these do. 

If GW is to implement the great Battalion rules as sub-factions I do believe that Aqshy's Bane would be removed and Khul would basically be the single Khul for Blades of Khorne ;) (instead of get Khul or build your own). In that same vein I can see certain named Heroes be more limited to thake. But as always we'll wait and see how it pans out.

While I do agree it could be seen as bit janky, extra attacks are extra attacks and especilly in the Hero phase it matters. On top of that, if it's a free bonus I'd say we can't expect it to be game warping either. In the end I do fully agree that movement buffs are likely better. Then again additional attacks are always a great add aswell.

I'd also love to know if GW will rewrite the 5 Artefact lists we have or simply distribute them under the 4 sub-factions. I do offcourse hope we'll see the same Command Traits. 

Khorne Monster Mash?

LEADERS

Bloodsecrator (140)

Bloodstoker (80)

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (260) Collar of Khorne

Skarbrand (400)

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320) Crimson Crown

UNITS

40 x Chaos Marauders (200)

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

10 x Bloodreavers (70)

BEHEMOTHS

Soul Grinder (260)

BATTALIONS

Council of Blood (150)

TOTAL: 1950/2000

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2

WOUNDS: 128 

The idea is sort of refused flank, with the Reavers/Marauders holding one side under the Bloodsecrator, fling the Soulgrinder like a nutter into the enemy, buffed for speed by the WoK BT and the Bloodstoker. Then follow up on the same flank with the Bloodthirsters and kind of munch toward the centre?

• Like 2