AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 12/21/2018 at 2:44 PM, TheHiddenWaffle said:

So as a pretty noob khorne player how do I cut down my best friends seraphon army now that I can't just buff a murder ball to ignore his 2+ re-rollable saves that ignore rend of 1?

Slaughterpriests blood boil ability will deal straight mortals which melt saurus guard (or the eternity warden that's giving them +1 attack and +2 to their save).

The guard wont be moving so they can supercharge their polearms (I'm assuming your opponent is running the eternal star host since that's the only way to get a 2+ save on them without terrain) and that makes them the perfect target for blood/skullcrusher's mortal wounds on charge abilities.

Skull cannons can also reach out and snipe the eternity warden that's buffing the guard as well, they aren't the best tool in the box but they can get the job done (they'd be a lot better if they got buffed by the bloodsecrator, but alas,  melee weapons only). 

Skullreapers mortal wounds ability can still be buffed by killing frenzy so that's an option

Bloodthirster of insensate rage with ghyrestrike fishing for mortals will do solid work as well and with rend 2 he'll bypass their shields

Lord on juggernaut with gorecleaver does the same job as the bloodthirster at a lower price tag

• Like 6

On 12/21/2018 at 6:07 AM, angrywicket said:

Hi, I'm running a mortal khorne army and am thinking about adding a brass despoiler batallion (warherd only). Anyone have suggestions for buffs/characters to add that can impact the beastmen?

So far I've got the bloodsecrator and slaughterpriest.

I have been running a list that has worked pretty well so far. Right now I am running a doombull, 2 units of 6 bullgors, 1 unit of 3 bullgors, 2 slaughterpriests with the +1 to hit prayer, 2 blood secrators (one to plant right away and the other to advance with the main line and plant later in the game. The second also has the banner of rage to allow rerolling to hit), 3 units of 10 reavers, and 1 unit of wrathmongers. Basically you advance behind the reavers in a big deathball and hit really hard. I think so far my best was with one unit of 6 bulls killing a whole 30 man unit of ard boyz with just the axes. You have some spell denial with the priests and the potential to hit on 3s rerolling and wounding on 2s rerolling with the -2 rend axes. It does staggering damage. It is definitely a lot of fun but I am unsure against some of the more competitive lists how it will do. If it reacts similiar to before then the warherds will likely win the fighting and lose the game on objectives.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

nice posts, I'm playing AoS since 2017 and I'think this blog is quite complete. That's the reason why I think you can solve my problem.

Death it's a pain in the ass, and  I'm often playing against Legion of blood/Legion of sacrament, and cannot really deal with the 40 skeleton buffed units which sits on objectives, protect necromancer and deal a ton load of attacks 6 att/model/combat fase.

Curse of the ages is a problem too, but with a bloodsecrator and a brazen rune and a save from the warshine is kept a bit more under control.

And vampire lord on zombie dragons are tough too (3+ saves, rerolling ones when shilded and ignoring rends with the new artefact)

I'm trying with:

Gore pilgrim buffing the secrator range for rerolling spells (he still has +3 on cast) but that's the best I can do.

Priest to boil and try to move heros from skeleton protectives shells, sacrificing for points or stacking saves on thirsters and warriors.

The warshine to have a bit more consistency, with his area buff. 

Bloodwarriors for objectives

Reavers for sacrifice and protection

Thirsters for some decent damage.

Thx for your time.

Schermata 2018-12-31 alle 01.21.01.png

Edited by Sdrow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, phizzco said:

Does skarbrand help your chew threw skeles?

I reckon a horde of Skellies is pretty much his worst nightmare actually. They'll take him down in short order, especially with 2" weapons. Skarbrand is much better pointed at huge, "invulnerable" models. Like apex monsters and characters. He'll blitz any of those.

• Like 1

Imho you have a good Counter against the Dragon with Skarbrand, otherwise you could use Slaughterpriest's Blood Boil. About the Skeletons... you need a Lot of Rend 1 wounds to get rid of them. There are several Units who are very good at this: Chaos Chosen, Khorgoraths, Wrathmongers and Chaos Knights with Lances. 

However, I would highly recommend the Mortal Options. Khorgoraths are nice, gut they cannot bei buffed AS Well as Mortal Units. Mortal Units can gain +2 Attacks ( Bloodsecrator+ Aspiring Deathbringer), +1 to wound from the Juggerlord,+ to Hit from the Slaughterpriests and re-rolling 1s to wound from Mister Whippy. 

If you count in these buffs, all three units- Chosen, Knights and Wrathmongers- are able to delete these skellies in one Turn.

And remember- you can dictate the enemie's movement with your Slaughterpriests as well- so no Objective camping.

Against Magic, however, there is little you can do. The Khorne Dragon has a -3 to Cast...yeah, that's all - to Cast Khorne has. 

Just try to Blood Boil or Lure His casters Out.

Edited by Salyx

Imho you have a good Counter against the Dragon with Skarbrand, otherwise you could use Slaughterpriest's Blood Boil. About the Skeletons... you need a Lot of Rend 1 wounds to get rid of them. There are several Units who are very good at this: Chaos Chosen, Khorgoraths, Wrathmongers and Chaos Knights with Lances. 

I was even thinking in block and then ignore them, with some fleshounds mb. which are cheep and fast and get to unbind. But I' can try to fit some  knights. I defenetly don't want to get rid of the 3th priest, I love blood points, and another WoKBT is always good. Or, leave the WoKBT out for the beginning, I can farm 8 point pretty fast.

Mongers are expansive but can defenetly do the trick. I might switch the second unit of blood warriors, but 5 mongers, still, are not many and not fast.

We also are not considering the first round, which with this deploy (bloodwarrior/priests/secrator/reavers) is dropped in 4 .

However, I would highly recommend the Mortal Options. Khorgoraths are nice, gut they cannot bei buffed AS Well as Mortal Units. Mortal Units can gain +2 Attacks ( Bloodsecrator+ Aspiring Deathbringer), +1 to wound from the Juggerlord,+ to Hit from the Slaughterpriests and re-rolling 1s to wound from Mister Whippy. 

You think is a good option to leave skar out and let a Juggerlord in?

If you count in these buffs, all three units- Chosen, Knights and Wrathmongers- are able to delete these skellies in one Turn.

As before, I can try mongers, like them.

And remember- you can dictate the enemie's movement with your Slaughterpriests as well- so no Objective camping.

Very true.

Against Magic, however, there is little you can do. The Khorne Dragon has a -3 to Cast...yeah, that's all - to Cast Khorne has.

Not shure if he can stand skeletons alone, in a 2k match, buffed by some priest, might be not enough. (2+/6+ with the warshine is still poor).

Just try to Blood Boil or Lure His casters Out.

Priest ftw

Considering your list, you could Drop one unit of Blood Warriors and Split the Reavers in 2. 

That could free 360 points, sufficient for 10 Knights, 10 Wrathmongers or 10 Chosen+ Aspiring Deathbringer.

Maybe one of These Options can do the Trick for you.

• Thanks 1

Bloodletters are battleline, have -1 rend, chance for mortal wounds (but no guarantee 😡), and the chance to add models in the battleshock phase. In my last game a summoned unit of 10 cleaned up a unit of Chainrasps and a Guardian of Souls in successive turns.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:14 PM, Zamik said:

Bloodletters are battleline, have -1 rend, chance for mortal wounds (but no guarantee 😡), and the chance to add models in the battleshock phase. In my last game a summoned unit of 10 cleaned up a unit of Chainrasps and a Guardian of Souls in successive turns.

That's true, but they are expansive and not gore pilgrim friendly. Not If I want the big guys in too.

1 hour ago, Sdrow said:

Do not have to but still can. I think

56 minutes ago, phizzco said:

i'm pretty sure its clearly saying you do not take battleshock tests, not that you can choose.

It used to be "you don't have to" and is now "do not take battleshock"

They must have decided that us abusing it was not as intended haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey guys, thoughts on a good 1k list?

I have the models for the following:

General - Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (320)

Karanak (160)

Bloodstoker (80)

Bloodsecrator (140)

Bloodreavers x 10 (70)

Bloodreavers x 10 (70)

Bloodreavers x 10 (70)

Khorgorath (90)

Total - 1,000

Or

General - Mighty Lord of Khorne (120)

Karanak (160)

Bloodsecrator (140)

Bloodstoker (80)

Blood Warriors x 5 (100)

Bloodreavers x 10 (70)

Bloodreavers x 10 (70)

Bloodreavers x 10 (70)

Blood Warriors x 5 (100)

Khorgorath (90)

Total - 1,000

Which do you think will be better out of those two?

9 hours ago, 123lac said:

Which do you think will be better out of those two?

What do you want your list to do?  I’d pick a list closer to #1 and drop Karanak unless you wan him to Dispel Magic.

- Are you able to run Blood Pilgrams - that clicks in at under 1000 and is very competitive.  

- Karanak - My jury is out right now, 160 pts is too expensive for me unless he’s working with a couple units and a Warscroll- also do you have Flesh Hounds?  

He really earns his points if he’s able to summon, if you field him but aren’t able to bring models out he’s a Overcost for what he brings.

- Are you able to proxy any *Slaughterpriests*?  They’ll add to options making a Hero phase more useful.

- Khorgorath  - Is like to hear how this does- I have not fielded yet, I only have 1 right now.  I’d like to see if I can get another couple (or 5!) and field in a larger unit and go stomping Sylvaneth Wildwoods. 

Edited by Coyote
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Coyote said:

What do you want your list to do?  I’d pick a list closer to #1 and drop Karanak unless you wan him to Dispel Magic.

- Are you able to run Blood Pilgrams - that clicks in at under 1000 and is very competitive.  

- Karanak - My jury is out right now, 160 pts is too expensive for me unless he’s working with a couple units and a Warscroll- also do you have Flesh Hounds?  

He really earns his points if he’s able to summon, if you field him but aren’t able to bring models out he’s a Overcost for what he brings.

- Are you able to proxy any *Slaughterpriests*?  They’ll add to options making a Hero phase more useful.

- Khorgorath  - Is like to hear how this does- I have not fielded yet, I only have 1 right now.  I’d like to see if I can get another couple (or 5!) and field in a larger unit and go stomping Sylvaneth Wildwoods. 

I was hoping the new Karanak would be more impactful in a 1000 point game with him being more likely to get his summoning done before the opponent either shoots him off the board or just keeps him away with big screens.

Unfortunately I don't yet have any slaughterpriests for gore pilgrims.

I only have the 5 new hounds from wrath and rapture.

Hmm I could probably proxy the priests but I was thinking of getting them once I graduate to 2k games. They seem to fit into that point bracket a bit better as gore pilgrims is quite points heavy?

@Izikail does summoning count as deepstriking? if so, then yes.

Also Karanak's new battalion allows for some teleporting shenanigans.

You can also use a Wraith of Khorne bloodthirster's command ability to allow one daemon unit to run and charge with +1" to both. Combine that with a Bloodstoker who gives +3" to both, and pretty much any daemon unit you choose will be able to get a first turn charge.  More alphastrike than deepstrike butp retty great none the less :-)