AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

2 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Sadly I don’t yet have any Chaos Warriors. The rest of this sounds great. I can, in fact, run Gore Pilgrims :P 

I believe all of his units can fly. The fact that they can fly means they can move over his own units correct? 

If this is true is it worth trying to pull them out front and then charging them and trying to immediately destroy them, or should I simply blood boil them to death? 

There is no single cure all tactic. You need to evaluate his deployment and respond. But if his army is playing aggressively and moving quick, then maybe slow things down and make sure your synergies are all working. 

It might help to bring out an Exalted Deathbringer (or two) to use his Command Ability in case your Bloodsecrator goes pewf. The one with the spear could also be handy at removing a nasty opponents hero but either will do.

MLoK, Exalted Deathbringer, Slaughterpriests and Bloodsecrator should be your units. Try to talk your wallet into a Bloodthirster. Maybe even Valkia since she can fly and assassinate a hiding hero.

Strongly recommend some Chaos Warriors for their toughness in the future.

31 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

Can you take a realm artefact as well as normal artefact, or do i need battalions and such to take the extra one?

You still need the battalion to generate an extra artifact, but you can pick and mix between the artifacts in the book and a realm artifacts. And a hero can still only use 1 artifact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

There is no single cure all tactic. You need to evaluate his deployment and respond. But if his army is playing aggressively and moving quick, then maybe slow things down and make sure your synergies are all working. 

It might help to bring out an Exalted Deathbringer (or two) to use his Command Ability in case your Bloodsecrator goes pewf. The one with the spear could also be handy at removing a nasty opponents hero but either will do.

MLoK, Exalted Deathbringer, Slaughterpriests and Bloodsecrator should be your units. Try to talk your wallet into a Bloodthirster. Maybe even Valkia since she can fly and assassinate a hiding hero.

Strongly recommend some Chaos Warriors for their toughness in the future.

Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (120)
- General
- Trait: Violent Urgency  
- Artefact: Heart Seeker  
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact: The Crimson Plate  
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear (80)
Darkoath Chieftain (80)
- Allies

Battleline
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives

Units
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
1 x Khorgoraths (90)
1 x Khorgoraths (90)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 154

This is what I can bring for now. On the Charge I expect the Darkoath Chieftan to actually be extremely killy, possibly one of the top killiest bros of all the heroes. 

Everything else is redundancy. Extra attacks, Battleshock passing, re-rolling charges, re-rolling wounds for my general, re-rerolling hit rolls of 1. Trying to just be as consistent as possible and have “back ups for my back ups”. 

If it comes down to it I’ve got Inspiring Presence to lean on. 

I just want to chuck dice down range and hope to god I don’t roll turbo garbage (again). I need fistfuls of dice! FISTFULS! 

Bloodreavers within 12” of a Bloodsecrator = Fistfuls of dice. 

Darkoath Chieftan on the charge near Wrathmongers and Bloodsecrator = Fistfuls of dice. 

Wrathmongers push out 26 attacks when buffed by Bloodsecrator. 

Skullreapers with Bloodsecrator and Wrathmongers are throwing out 26 attacks as well. FIST. FULL. OF DICE. 

2 Slaughterpriest because 1 will probably fail his blessing.

Khorgoraths heal, and they shoot, and the would have 7 attacks each in melee and put out 2 damage each. 

Even the Blood Warriors can potentially throw out 40 attacks. 

Crimson Plate +2 save in cover Bloodsecrator re-rolling failed saves. 

If this list can’t mow down everything in its path I don’t know why I’m playing Khorne. If Khorne isn’t king of melee who is!?

I could bring a Bloodstoker and drop the Darkoath Chieftan, but I was just looking for an excuse to bring him. 

I could get a potential, in the best possible case scenario (so impossible but still) +2/+4/-/1 Bloodreavers. They’re re-rolling 1’s to hit and to wound. They have +4 to charge.

They’re doing 4 attacks each that’s 4 x 20 that’s 81 attacks thx to totem/Bloodsecrator/Wrathmongers. That’s all 20 guys in range of something to hit. 

Its a dream case but that’s the potential this list can live up to if all the stars align. If that doesn’t do something then what is the point in living. 

Edited by Ravinsild

@Ravinsild That list looks worthy of a game or two to me! Can the Chieftain be marked Khorne, though?

I might suggest the Bloodstoker as you said, or an Aspiring Deathbringer instead. Tuck the AspiD in with a blob of Wrathmonger-backed 'reavers to either super-duper charge them, or put him in with the other blob so they both get a +1. You'll be throwing out more attacks than can be replenished. 

6 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Allegiance: Khorne
Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (120)
- General
- Trait: Violent Urgency  
- Artefact: Heart Seeker  
Bloodsecrator (140)
- Artefact: The Crimson Plate  
Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear (80)
Darkoath Chieftain (80)
- Allies

Battleline
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives

Units
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
5 x Skullreapers (170)
- Daemonblades
- 1x Soultearers
1 x Khorgoraths (90)
1 x Khorgoraths (90)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (200)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 80 / 400
Wounds: 154

This is what I can bring for now. On the Charge I expect the Darkoath Chieftan to actually be extremely killy, possibly one of the top killiest bros of all the heroes. 

Everything else is redundancy. Extra attacks, Battleshock passing, re-rolling charges, re-rolling wounds for my general, re-rerolling hit rolls of 1. Trying to just be as consistent as possible and have “back ups for my back ups”. 

If it comes down to it I’ve got Inspiring Presence to lean on. 

I just want to chuck dice down range and hope to god I don’t roll turbo garbage (again). I need fistfuls of dice! FISTFULS! 

Bloodreavers within 12” of a Bloodsecrator = Fistfuls of dice. 

Darkoath Chieftan on the charge near Wrathmongers and Bloodsecrator = Fistfuls of dice. 

Wrathmongers push out 26 attacks when buffed by Bloodsecrator. 

Skullreapers with Bloodsecrator and Wrathmongers are throwing out 26 attacks as well. FIST. FULL. OF DICE. 

2 Slaughterpriest because 1 will probably fail his blessing.

Khorgoraths heal, and they shoot, and the would have 7 attacks each in melee and put out 2 damage each. 

Even the Blood Warriors can potentially throw out 40 attacks. 

Crimson Plate +2 save in cover Bloodsecrator re-rolling failed saves. 

If this list can’t mow down everything in its path I don’t know why I’m playing Khorne. If Khorne isn’t king of melee who is!?

I could bring a Bloodstoker and drop the Darkoath Chieftan, but I was just looking for an excuse to bring him. 

I could get a potential, in the best possible case scenario (so impossible but still) +2/+4/-/1 Bloodreavers. They’re re-rolling 1’s to hit and to wound. They have +4 to charge.

They’re doing 4 attacks each that’s 4 x 20 that’s 81 attacks thx to totem/Bloodsecrator/Wrathmongers. That’s all 20 guys in range of something to hit. 

Its a dream case but that’s the potential this list can live up to if all the stars align. If that doesn’t do something then what is the point in living. 

Looks fun, only thing to consider is the exalted death bringer who seems to generally under perform. You may be better with the blood stoker to help get those slow dudes over the battle field 

Played a 1250 pts game today (on a 4'x4') against Stormcast Eternals.

I ran  Juggernaut Lord, Blade of Endless blodshed and the reroll the charge command trait.

2 slaughterpriests, one with Bronzed flesh and one with Killing Frenzy

1 Bloodsecrator, 2x10 Reavers , 10 Blood warriors, 5 Wrathmongers, 1 Korgorath and 5 Chaos Knights with Glaives

He had a Stardrake, 1 Knight-Incantor , 5 Evocators, 2x5 Liberators and 5 Retributors. 

We rolled Border war and Chamon (we roll a d10 for realms :P ) . And then a 5 for Realmscape. No rend in the game. I didn't have much to begin with but it felt like it could cerainly favour the Stormcast more.

I was gonna write a long as AAR here but tl;dr time instead.
I won after my turn 3 because he couldn't possibly come back in victory points. I had 12 to his 7 and was about to score 8 or 9 more. 
On top of that I also had 8 blood tithe points and would probably have elected to drop 20 bloodletters to tighten my grip on his objective. Or a bloodthirster for the luls. 

The Stardrake was probably too heavy a pts investment for 1250. He also chose a poor target because after his retributors knocked 10 reavers off my objective I charge in with my Korgorath, general and an unfortunate slaughterpriest that ended up within 3" of the Retributors after they had charged and killed the reavers. 

Also 2x Blood boil went off turn 2 and took 6 mortal wounds off of the Stardrake, ouch! 

Chaos Knights are pretty amazing, cheers to whoever here made a comment about how important it was to make sure they got the charge off and not let them be charged. I had that in mind and screened them with reavers and my wrathmongers xD. Even with the no rend realmscape they took out 3 liberators on the charge, and that was outside the banners range and I forgot that I had used the +1 to wound on the charge command ability. 

I reeeeally want to get some +1 to hit or reroll to hit buffs to lay on the Knights tho' .

I really dig the Blade of endless bloodshed, it netted in 2 bloodtithe points this game. And that's because we called it after turn 3.  the Juggerlord is great too, He will probably be my go to general from here on out. 

Edited by Mikeymajq
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Aspirant Snaeper said:

@Ravinsild That list looks worthy of a game or two to me! Can the Chieftain be marked Khorne, though?

I might suggest the Bloodstoker as you said, or an Aspiring Deathbringer instead. Tuck the AspiD in with a blob of Wrathmonger-backed 'reavers to either super-duper charge them, or put him in with the other blob so they both get a +1. You'll be throwing out more attacks than can be replenished. 

Darkoath Chieftan cannot take a mark, no. Sad :( 

Question on the Skullfiend Tribe.

Obviously the Skulltake and Jugger Lord are mandatory, but the "may take...3-x of the following battalions" has me confused.

So if you take any additional Batallions you have to take three of them?

Is Skulltake, Jugger Lord + random other bloodhound units legal for Skullfiend?

Played a 2k game yesterday where I assumed it was legal...but still messed up and didn't put in enough battleline.

Playing The Better Part of Valour magic heavy Hammers of Sigmar.

It didn't go great. First time playing the mission and I didn't have that many units so ended up splitting up and spreading out to much to optimize Skulltake synergies as I was hedging against deepstriking stormcast.

Endless spells were effective, probably causing 24 wounds over four rounds.

Purple Sun is especially scary when you have three units of Skullreapers and one of Chaos Knights.

I took his central objective but didn't realise I had until he had taken it back. Would have burned it down immediately if so.

Loss was as much a commentary on the scenario as the army. I think playing it super aggressive with some early objective burning would have worked better for me.

Extra CP from the Batallions was a non issue as I was spread out too much to leverage additional command abilities.

Skullfiend had zero impact, I either killed any heroes or monsters on the charge or he killed me before my next hero phase.

I had three dispels on the board but still felt pretty helpless against four casters with five endless spells, understandably so.

Chaos Knights unfairly engaged an Exorcist on a Balewind and unsurprisingly bounced off a 2+ save.

No punch, but I still liked them. I wouldn't take them in the Skullfiend list though as they're outside the battalion.

Evocators are monsters. Three killed my Jugger Lord in one turn. Not much I can do other than hope I can burn them down fast.

1 hour ago, Rumblefish said:

Obviously the Skulltake and Jugger Lord are mandatory, but the "may take...3-x of the following battalions" has me confused.

So if you take any additional Batallions you have to take three of them?

Heh heh ... yeaaaah ... 

So, technically that does not actually account for the next “allowance” which is:

”Any number of additional KHORNE BLOODBOUND units or Warscroll Battalions.”

Which is on the next line. So... if you take any of them from the “Pick 3” Group instead of picking the same Warscroll Battalion from the “Any number”.

Basically, it’s a disconnect between the verbiage that was used for the Daemon mega battalions. (Theirs is a required min3)

Your only minor caveat is that there are no longer any “KHORNE BLOODBOUND” Warscroll battalions. That reference is (potentially) a holdover from the 1st Edition Khorne Bloodbound Battletome. where the warscrolls were labeled as “KHORNE BLOODBOUND” allegiance.

The warscrolls so labeled were:

Bloodstorm

The Gorechosen

Brass Stampede

Dark Feast

Skulltake

Red Headsmen

Bloodbound Warband

Goreblade Warband

Bloodbound Warhorde

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mikeymajq said:

Chaos Knights are pretty amazing, cheers to whoever here made a comment about how important it was to make sure they got the charge off and not let them be charged. I had that in mind and screened them with reavers and my wrathmongers xD. Even with the no rend realmscape they took out 3 liberators on the charge, and that was outside the banners range and I forgot that I had used the +1 to wound on the charge command ability. 

I reeeeally want to get some +1 to hit or reroll to hit buffs to lay on the Knights tho' .

You're welcome ;D 

+1 to hit can come from Chaos Lord on a Demonic Mount command ability, Killing Frenzy Blood Blessing and rerolling ALL FAILED HITS comes from Khorne blessing from Chaos Warshrines. Used to throw blades of putrifaction on them in my Nurgle lists, but honestly x10 with the lances on the charge overkilled pretty much everything they charged anyway. 

Trophy wall kills include 40 Arknaughts in 1 charge,(battleshock took care of the stragglers) an Insensate Rage BT, 5 Blood warriors and an injured Skarbrand, and 4 Knights took about half Nagashes health with poor enemy save rolls ;D

With buffed Chaos Knights you actually want to multicharge clumped up enemy units because of your killing power. 

WORD OF WARNING THOUGH!!! 

Wall of shame Chaos knights include, getting chewed to pieces be 10 Liberators over 4 turns, getting tarpitted by PBs for 3, dying to 'Ard Boys over 3 and deleted by skeletons and plague monks on multiple occasions. 

Granted in most of these instances I should have retreated and fished for later charges but the serve as good examples of Knights gone wrong. And that's a very real possibility :(

Edited by Scrags
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ledha said:

After my 3 battles against nighthaunts, skullreapers are the way to go. The combinaison saturation of no-rend attacks + mortal wound make them really efficient against nighthaunts. I had good sucess with my Gore Pilgrim against very good nightaunts list (3x30 grimghast, hurgh) and i will try the skulltake.

Bloodreavers are useless against them, but bloodwarriors can do some work.

what makes bloodwarriors better against them?

1 hour ago, Scrags said:

You're welcome ;D 

+1 to hit can come from Chaos Lord on a Demonic Mount command ability, Killing Frenzy Blood Blessing and rerolling ALL FAILED HITS comes from Khorne blessing from Chaos Warshrines. Used to throw blades of putrifaction on them in my Nurgle lists, but honestly x10 with the lances on the charge overkilled pretty much everything they charged anyway. 

Trophy wall kills include 40 Arknaughts in 1 charge,(battleshock took care of the stragglers) an Insensate Rage BT, 5 Blood warriors and an injured Skarbrand, and 4 Knights took about half Nagashes health with poor enemy save rolls ;D

With buffed Chaos Knights you actually want to multicharge clumped up enemy units because of your killing power. 

WORD OF WARNING THOUGH!!! 

Wall of shame Chaos knights include, getting chewed to pieces be 10 Liberators over 4 turns, getting tarpitted by PBs for 3, dying to 'Ard Boys over 3 and deleted by skeletons and plague monks on multiple occasions. 

Granted in most of these instances I should have retreated and fished for later charges but the serve as good examples of Knights gone wrong. And that's a very real possibility :(

Cheers! 

I'm getting the lord on Daemonic mount for sure. I also saw he has the daemon keyword so he has access to their artefacts etc xD

Very 'fun' when you look at khornes juggerdudes -_-

1 hour ago, phizzco said:

what makes bloodwarriors better against them?

better durability (4+ save mean your opponent need to send a real unit), many more attacks, and being able to strike after being killed. I always take the double axe. I don't like the gorefist at all. Against a rend-1, you have to do 18 save rolls in average to bounce ONE mortal wound. While rerolling 1 to hit is always profitable. When you attack and when you die.

What CAN make the bloodreavers betters than the bloodwarriors is their rend, which is useless against nighthaunts. Bloodwarriors don't have rend (which you don't care against NH), but many more attacks, and even if your opponent strike first, they will be able to do something. It make them way more important to buff too, because they kill "use" it two time. When they attack, and when they die. They were always good against chaff and light unit because of their saturation, and against NH who ignore rend, saturation is the key. Bloodreavers have more attacks per points, but you are unlikely to put more bloodreavers than bloodwarriors in melee, since it's the same 32mm base.

Bloodwarriors affected with a bloodsecrator and MLOK on jugger while charging are 27 attacks 3+rr1/3+/-/1 and 4 attacks 3+/3°+/-/2. When they attack AND when they die, which can lead to interesting results and put some hurt

Meanwhile, 5 grimghast reapers can practically destroy 20 bloodreavers in one go without suffering much in return.

Edited by ledha

Ok so I have a tournie coming up and I am probably going to go with my old faithful bloodthirster list. I like it as it’s a melee army that requires thought. It can make insane plays but also is very fragile. I think Ulgu gives it two great artifacts but I miss GH1 which allowed triple crimson crown (those were the days). 

Rage thirster - Slaughterborn, crimson crown

Rage thirster - doppelgänger cloak

wrath thirster - sword of judgement (god tier hero/monster killer combined with his high attacks and re rolls)

bloodsecrator

2 priest - killing frenzy for + hit on crimson crown and sword

20/10 reavers

10 warriors

Garreks reavers (60 random points) 

gore pilgrims

Council of blood 

nice number of unbinds and all three thirsters can score on the silly artifact or wizard missions if they come up. Obviously weak vs shooting your main hope is your opponent doesn’t realize the first turn charge potential and deploys close to the line. Saying that it seems the meta is shifting from shooting a bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

As posted up earlier, the Crimson Crown technically “behaves oddly” and hasn’t been faq’d.

I guess upto the TO but I would very much push the old FAQ 6 counts as 6+ stands. There’s so many historical examples of GW just writing poorly or missing things after updates it seems the most likely. 

On 7/31/2018 at 5:53 PM, ledha said:

The army can't work without the bloodsecrator.

If you are afraid that he will be outpaced by the rest of your army, you can use bloodtithe to make him move in hero phase.

How do I use Bloodtithe points to move him in the hero phase?

I'm not convinced that a Khorne army cannot function without a Bloodsecrator. Tell me why and change my mind.

1 hour ago, Ravinsild said:

How do I use Bloodtithe points to move him in the hero phase?

I'm not convinced that a Khorne army cannot function without a Bloodsecrator. Tell me why and change my mind.

One of the rewards, I think the 3 blood tithe one, let's a unit move like it was the movement phase. So you could spend that to run the bloodsecrator before planting the banner.

I occasionally dont take a bloodsecrator but mostly when I'm taking a brass stampede. Without one you lose +1 attack which is always nice and are vulnerable to battleshock which is the big impact. They are also great with bloodreavers since they are a totem and remove a big weakness of low bravery. Not having a bloodsecrator means missing out on the main synergies for Khorne.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

One of the rewards, I think the 3 blood tithe one, let's a unit move like it was the movement phase. So you could spend that to run the bloodsecrator before planting the banner.

I occasionally dont take a bloodsecrator but mostly when I'm taking a brass stampede. Without one you lose +1 attack which is always nice and are vulnerable to battleshock which is the big impact. They are also great with bloodreavers since they are a totem and remove a big weakness of low bravery. Not having a bloodsecrator means missing out on the main synergies for Khorne.

It’s not that I’m unaware, I just think Khorne has enough redundancy and powerful units to mitigate this somewhat. 

For example, Inspiring Presence and/or the Exalted Deathbringer’s “use my bravery” which is 8. Then the wording on the banner indicates it would still work giving them a 9. Pretty good. Not immune good, but not 5-6 bad. 

Also Bloodreavers are fine, but they’re also chaff. Aspiring Deathbringer adds +1 attack to all units wholly within 10”, and whilst it does take a command point, it’s still a viable alternative IMO in addition to Wrathmongers (models within 3”). 

I just think it’s entirely possible to run them without one but it would require playing differently. I could, of course, be wholly wrong and My own experience without one may prove that to me as well. 

46 minutes ago, Ravinsild said:

It’s not that I’m unaware, I just think Khorne has enough redundancy and powerful units to mitigate this somewhat. 

For example, Inspiring Presence and/or the Exalted Deathbringer’s “use my bravery” which is 8. Then the wording on the banner indicates it would still work giving them a 9. Pretty good. Not immune good, but not 5-6 bad. 

Also Bloodreavers are fine, but they’re also chaff. Aspiring Deathbringer adds +1 attack to all units wholly within 10”, and whilst it does take a command point, it’s still a viable alternative IMO in addition to Wrathmongers (models within 3”). 

I just think it’s entirely possible to run them without one but it would require playing differently. I could, of course, be wholly wrong and My own experience without one may prove that to me as well. 

That's all true, I tend to play weirdly defensive but aggressively so the times I dont bring a bloodsecrator I sometimes regret it. Personally when I dont take a bloodsecrator it's because I want to try something different instead of finding something better.

On 7/31/2018 at 2:00 AM, Ravinsild said:

Honestly I’ve been thinking about Khorne differently, as more of like a World Eaters get into melee ASAP and move forward. 

In that way I’ve decided maybe Bloodsecrator isn’t exactly as super needed as everyone seems to think. However I’m not very good at the game so I could be wrong, but I’ve been building lists without one and I’m looking forward to trying them out. 

I’m excited to see what a super monster Khorgorath will do. Potential of 18 wounds no Bloodsecrator. Hitting and wounding on 2’s rerolling 1’s. I think it has potential to be filthy. 

You may find that even at 140pts and being pretty immobile the bloodsecrator is just value for money. Extra attack and battle shock immunity in an 18 inch bubble that works on mortals and daemons alike. 

Whats a Super khorgorath?