Thoughts on 'who will get nerfed?'

While faction focus guarantee some units get point drop,  of course  GW not gonna tell you which unit will be nerfed.

The only one that is 'probably certain' will have a nerf, is plaguetouched warband.( "Try something else!" ----GW)

However, I see  many chances of several types of units are on blacklist. Here are my expectation:

1. On-foot heroes.

Look Out, Sir! and new shooting that prevent sniping meta makes On-foot heroes so powerful. Not a bad idea to grant better chance of surviving in return of point increase.

2. summoning units.

Instead of Reinforcement points, some summoning units probably will have 'point penalty', while keep the new summoning will, in the end, have larger army due to free summoning. Widely it will be a buff.

3. Wizards.

Wizards get a big change in 2.0, and become much stronger in any army, probably they will have points increased due to their bigger opportunity of game maker, though I also thinks they will not have points increased, because of new unbinding.

4. Some battalion

plaguetouched, gore pilgrim, and so on, GW wants to see varieties of armies in  tournaments.

Note that all of the above is just my prediction without any kinds of proofs, I'm just sharing my thoughts. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

With all the point discounts meantioned in Warhammer Community posts I think most nerfs will be in the form of other comparible units becoming more desirable.

I agree with this. I think we will see major point tweaks across the board. I think it means some units that are popular now may not be so desirable in a few weeks. It could be taking such big units or so many of them becomes less desirable ?

As one of the few armies that have been doing very well at tournaments, I would expect Tzeentch armies getting points increases.

I don’t see anything getting what would traditionally be called a nerf (reduced stats).

Exception: Stormfiends. They could get the same “One of Weapons” that the Grundstok Thunderers got.

52 minutes ago, SuperHappyTime said:

Exception: Stormfiends. They could get the same “One of Weapons” that the Grundstok Thunderers got.

I think the set doesn't allow you to build them all with the same weapon? I seem to remember there was a lot of people looking for extra flame throwers at the start of AoS. Pretty much the opposite of of the Thunderers ?

The perennial answer to "who will get nerfed" is and has always been "any tiny shred of good that Dwarfs/Duardin have".  Any time you start to see anything dwarf-ish sniffing around top tables at big events, expect an immediate nerfing into the stone age.  Chaos is allowed to be awesome long-term (either mortal or daemonic), or anything vampire-y or elf-y.  If any of those get to be too good, we can take care of it next edition, or maybe the edition after that.  But if something dwarf-y is even a little bit good, we'll just go ahead and re-print some toned-down warscrolls 6 weeks later in the next book to come out.

I'm a bit shocked that we didn't see an immediate 20% increase in points for Fyreslayers in the weeks following GH2017 haha  And hey, thanks for re-doing Aetherkhemists but not Skyfires, that was super great.

(Don't mind me, I'm just an old longbeard grumbling into my morning brew.)

4 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

The perennial answer to "who will get nerfed" is and has always been "any tiny shred of good that Dwarfs/Duardin have".  Any time you start to see anything dwarf-ish sniffing around top tables at big events, expect an immediate nerfing into the stone age.  Chaos is allowed to be awesome long-term (either mortal or daemonic), or anything vampire-y or elf-y.  If any of those get to be too good, we can take care of it next edition, or maybe the edition after that.  But if something dwarf-y is even a little bit good, we'll just go ahead and re-print some toned-down warscrolls 6 weeks later in the next book to come out.

I'm a bit shocked that we didn't see an immediate 20% increase in points for Fyreslayers in the weeks following GH2017 haha  And hey, thanks for re-doing Aetherkhemists but not Skyfires, that was super great.

(Don't mind me, I'm just an old longbeard grumbling into my morning brew.)

Even dwarven bad faith can't say vulkite berserkers are fine

I know there's some wariness around this here, but I actually suspect we'll see some Stormcast nerfs with the new edition, especially their battletome. Traits like Staunch Defender will probably be toned down and I'm suspecting some point increases for their units.

For Tzeentch, I'm not sure we'll actually see too many increases. If you take a look at most tournameny lists, the 'Tzeentch' units you see more aren't Tzaangors, Enlightened, etc. They are typically running marked StD. Heroes perhaps coming up though. LoC is pretty cheap for his output.

More seriously...

I think that extremely over-the-top durable Heroes/units don't feel like the intent of AoS.  I expect a reduction in the cases where a model (or unit) can get buffed up to 2+/rerolling 1s armour saves (or better!).  Probably not a reduction down to zero instances, but it'll be harder to pull off.

I fully expect dire wolves to be bumped up to 80p... And I'd agree with that 100% despite being a death player. 

I'm also semi-expecting most ghoul king variants to go slightly up in points cost... The added summon makes a 120p model who can summon a 100p unit a bit too good, but we'll see. 

This edition has solidly nerfed “keeping the status quo and don’t rock the boat by just updating points like we said we would ...”

There is a lot going on in this new edition.

I suspect, though entirely unproven, that the largest change (and quasi-nerf) will be no updated points and potential removal of points from Compendium Warscroll Battalion units as they are rolled into ‘Legacy’ ... if nothing else they may end up not getting the cool new stuff ... and not get points adjustments at all (or may have them removed entirely.) And Possibly cleared from the next GHB.

Personally I’m hoping that Screamers, Exalted Flamers, Flamers, Furies, Soul Grinders, Burning Chariots, and Heralds on Burning Chariots get a bit of un-nerfing from a point cost perspective. They are a seriously poor choice with the other options at their point level and need to be looked at to make more viable. (They certainly aren’t common in tournament lists or visible on tabletop games. That may change with the introduction of ‘aerial battlefields’.)

The Blades of Khorne “mega battalions” are in a sad spot. (Primarily on the Daemon side as none of them can be played at less than 2500+ points.) But that is due to poor wording on the Warscroll Battalion. And with the exception of Daemon Princes, Bloodthirsters, marked Furies, and Valkyia (Manticore in StD May be available ...) they don’t have flying units readily available... for that new aerial battlefield.

I think that with the entire rework from a gameplay interaction perspective that there are fewer “nerfs” and more just different ways to play.

Nerfed armies. hard to say but if I had to make a choice now with the information at hand:

Destruction bar 2-3 factions :   Why ,mystical shield is very important, they need  spells to go off (30" dispel hurts them), No more Damned terrain, General low save and 4's 4,s ,on warscrolls  

On a positive : My opinion on which armies will rise, has to do warscrolls: In short Order.

Look for these positives in the warscroll: 

Any Warscrolls that do not rely on spells or the old terrain rules or too many command abilities and are not monsters (cover saves is now a big plus). Which mean Warscrolls with Saves or 3-4, 3's hits and 3's wounds , rend -1. are great.

+1 to Save,

Auto dispel

Free pile in and/or shooting

Teleporting/board control

Honestly, with the information we have on hand I think anything without the ability to shut down magic or has there magic shut down will be in trouble.

I think destruction will suffer because they need senergies to be strong and part of that involves magic. With the new dispell range this will hurt them.

Even with the changes I don’t think death will be insanely strong. I still think it’ll be all about order and chaos. 

It's all speculation, but from what I know:

I am concerned for the well being of expensive wizards (Nagash) that may be too cost prohibitive to invest in endless spells.  Bringing the rest of the wizards up while leaving the best where they are is essentially a nerf.  

I am concerned not all summoning was created equal, but the point penalties will be treated equal.  Nurgle and Slaanesh seem poised to get the raw deal here.

I am concerned the rebalancing of non-monster heroes will bring harm to monster heroes.

I am concerned what models GW thinks are too old... my collection is mostly from 1995.

12 hours ago, chord said:

I think the older stormcast chambers will get nerfed.  It would help drive sales of the new chamber

Only nerf they'll likely to receive is removal of staunch defender. It's not like stormcast are currently that strong after batallion nerfs.

I think magic and ranged attacks are going to be reduced in effectiveness with what I've seen so far.  The changes to Mystic Shield might reduce the effectiveness of heroes and units that used to be invincible, but it could also increase the relative effectiveness of lower save models.

Archived