Hardest kit you've built?

After building 2k of Ironjaws and another 2k of Beastclaw Raiders without any issues,  Arkhan was a total nightmare to built in comparison.

He compensated by casting 2 -all the way through- Curse of Years thus auto-deleting a Bastiladon and a Carnosaur in his virgin game :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hardest one for me was my first Corpse Cart...I royally messed up the chassis somehow, and long story short, it couldn't sit even on the base. I ended up shoving a half zombie under it, I figure they've been dragging him for the last few miles.

Most painful was the Plagueclaw Catapults. Nothing like jamming one of those tiny spikes right under a fingernail two or three times.

Most of the plastic fantasy stuff has not been too bad, nothing to drive me mad. Finecast though, ewww. Nearly everything I've got of that has needed some reshaping of sorts. My keeper of secrets was so warped that his leg was nearly right up at his head before I fixed him. As for metal, I didn't like that either. My bone giant was the first model I ever pinned and that was a learning experience!

On 6/1/2018 at 10:44 PM, Skabnoze said:

I also want to say that GWs current art team is absolutely amazing, but I do really miss some of the stuff from Mark Gibbons.  He had some of the most iconic old artwork in just about any of GWs games.

82f180f0cafdc7f878b51a162d72842e.jpg

Yes! Massive fan of Mark Gibbons. I always looked forward to his work in the old army books.

I don't remember having much trouble with 4th edition Nagash though - except he has needed re-gluing a couple of times over the years. I actually like that model. Its slightly creepy and reminds me of those giant puppet skeleton costumes from Day of the Dead festivals in Mexico. Undead was easily my favourite army in 4th :) back when 20 skeletons was a BIG unit :) 

My worst model to fit togethor was the metal land speeder that came out during 2nd edition 40k - I've lost count of how many times its fallen apart!

As far as modern kits go I struggled with the LC on Dracoth in the starter set - i got left with this weird gap in his neck that I had to fill in - i couldn't work out a way to get it to fit after spending ages dry fitting every position i could imagine so I just gave up and filled it. 

1 hour ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I don't remember having much trouble with 4th edition Nagash though - except he has needed re-gluing a couple of times over the years. I actually like that model.

There were no construction issues with that model aside from the arms having small connection points and being prone to fall off without pinning.  But that happens with many larger metal models and was not unique to Nagash.

My difficulty with that model was simply how doofy it looked compared to the artwork in the book.  That model was a huge miss I think.  Although, if I remember correctly it was a Gary Morley sculpt and my personal opinion was that he was one of, if not the, worst sculptor that GW ever employed.  The guy that sculpted the original Dark Eldar range in 3rd ed 40k comes in as a close second.

I don't know why, but the first Cauldron of Blood I built gave me so many problems. I'd like to think it was all to pokes my fingers took from the spikey bits that threw me off.

Also, 6th edition plastic clanrats if only for their tails. I had to have them in an exact order in order for them to rank up properly because of those tails. Want to reform to surround an opponent after winning combat? Can you remember the order they need to go in to properly rank up if you do?!

33 minutes ago, Cinncinnatus said:

Also, 6th edition plastic clanrats if only for their tails. I had to have them in an exact order in order for them to rank up properly because of those tails. Want to reform to surround an opponent after winning combat? Can you remember the order they need to go in to properly rank up if you do?!

While visually I do like a block of troops, and Warhammer Fantasy block units did create a fun modeling opportunity with interesting unit fillers, but overall I am glad about the change to round bases.

Ranking up models was always a chore for just about any unit.  Best case you would write under the bottom of the base where in the unit this model should fit.  Worst case you just tried to figure it out each time you deployed.

Round bases also usually give a bit more base real-estate which allows you to do more interesting bases for your models.  It also allows for a larger variety of poses - which makes for better looking models.  I was against the change at first, but now I am all for it even though like many I find rebasing old stuff to be a chore.

I'll third or fourth that Woodelf Forest Dragon, pinning wasn't an option for me. I had to buy about 5 different glues until I got one that worked, the neck still falls off anytime it is moved.

Drop Pods and Tyranids are annoying as the models are misaligned.

But the absolute worst is any Resin to Plastic. As an example I have the Forgeworld Rotary Cannons for some Space Marines. It is just a never ending nightmare. To start the resin is warped so I have to heat it up, then there are 3 separate places it needs gluing to the Space Marine, and a few points where it has to be stuck to itself, and it has to be lined up correctly so the Marine doesn't look like he is firing into the air of the ground. The usual process is, glue the backpack to the Space Marine, the gun to the arms, and the magazine to the backpack and gun, some part invariably glues itself to my fingers because the last thing the glue wants to do is stick resin to plastic, when I try to take my fingers away the bit stuck to my fingers breaks all the other 'glued' joints and I have to start all over again. The resin will probably have to be heated up again as it needs to connect the gun and backpack and the exact positions they will be are an unknown until it sets. And this is just to get them to stick together. Then I have to hold them in position while they set, I notice the backpack is skewed so I move that, then that breaks the magazine joint, so I stick that back while holding the backpack in place, then the gun moves up, so I  try to push that down, but then the magazine has secretly stuck to my hand, I stick that back on but now the backpack has fallen of and it just goes on and on and on in a never ending nightmare. Even when I think this is done it will still pull the pieces out of position while it sets hard. I have one guy with a skewed backpack to the left because it pulled it as it was drying, I have another with a big gap in the wrist because that's how it set,  I just couldn't bring myself to break them off and do the whole thing again. There are five in a box too. Homer building his dog house just runs through my head any time I try these. 

As a Malifaux player, none of the modern GW plastics register on my radar as difficult anymore. On the contrary I find most of their stuff (including modern undead stuff) pretty relaxing.

Hardest overall kit I ever built has to have been Goryo from Malifaux.

Hardest GW kit would most certainly be from their more top heavy metal stuff. Or their metal stuff that was made of large pieces that tended to never be molded correctly. Stuff like the old metal daemon prince, and the previously mention metal hydra.

Most GW plastics are great, but they're getting easier to accidently glue a bit 'off' by mistake just necause of how inventive some of the join lines are. Spirit hosts and the elf bloodbowl team come to mind.

Nothing compared to mantic's steel warriors which simply don't fit together properly.

The honest truth is that I actually struggle with any model ;) , but that's just me I guess.

Having said that, I find it a bit hard to recall which model I found the hardest ever. Like many others, I find the metal kits considerably harder than the  plastic ones. Some already mentioned here, like the old metal scraplauncher, and the forest dragon.  Some were just impossible to figure out how to assemble them, parts that needs to be glued over and over again, and kept falling of every time you picked it up (I just found out about pinning later), parts that doesn't seem to fit, gaps, mold lines. And also for painting, I always  had this issue with protruding parts (is that even a word?) were the shiny metal comes through the paint after some time. Maybe I just did something wrong there? 

Yeah, although I feel some nostalgic sentiment over the old metal kits, I am generally very happy with the move to plastic only (also for the price). 

On 6/2/2018 at 11:12 AM, The Golem said:

That old metal gyrocopter. The rotor blades were a nightmare because they were always falling apart.

While I'm sure the old gyrocopter was much harder, I recently put together one of the new ones and it caught me off guard. I'm quite used to GW kits being simple and the rotor blades were surprisingly fiddly. I had been a bit too cocky and not realised that the parts all had to be rotated in a certain position and had to end up pulling the whole thing apart while it was still tacky. I got really scared that I'd ruined it!

Turned out okay in the end though :P

Not really had any issues with any of the recent GW plastics.  The Lord Celestant on Dracoth was a pain to get together in terms of pieces not fitting great but it still only took a short while with some green-stuffing.

Their Necromunda and Blood Bowl kits can get a little fiddly but even my fat fingers can cope!

Malifaux models on the other hand.....

23 minutes ago, Kyriakin said:

On a slightly related note, what's the worst kit in terms of putting it together and then realising it should have been painted (or at least base-coated) pre-assembly?

Celestial Hurricanum.  Without competition.  Bits you can still see when it's built, but can't get anywhere near with a brush.

On 6/4/2018 at 6:35 PM, Skabnoze said:

There were no construction issues with that model aside from the arms having small connection points and being prone to fall off without pinning.  But that happens with many larger metal models and was not unique to Nagash.

My difficulty with that model was simply how doofy it looked compared to the artwork in the book.  That model was a huge miss I think.  Although, if I remember correctly it was a Gary Morley sculpt and my personal opinion was that he was one of, if not the, worst sculptor that GW ever employed.  The guy that sculpted the original Dark Eldar range in 3rd ed 40k comes in as a close second.

That would be Morley as well, with the Dark Eldar range. ? He was truly a horrible sculptor. 

This thread is making me laugh :D

I'm also in the Spirit host camp, super tricky but once you nail the sweet spot it's all good. Took me a few tries.

I also struggled with Tree Revenant hair parts and the arms on the Wildwood Rangers. Fiddly little Aelves....

Archived