Hardest kit you've built?

Hey all, i was just wondering what the hardest kit you've built so far? 

Mine so far is the terrorgiest, with unclear leg placement in the instructions or the irritating pose to hold while gluing. 

Anyway, whats the hardest kit you've built?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Numinous Occulum...It isnt so much for the difficulty, but the casting is incredibly terrible!

i've been in this hobby about 21 years, and have built hundreds of kits between 40k, Fantasy/AoS, and all the side games...i wanted to throw this terrain piece against the wall and use it as basing material LOL!  

34 minutes ago, Midjithero said:

Numinous Occulum...It isnt so much for the difficulty, but the casting is incredibly terrible!

i've been in this hobby about 21 years, and have built hundreds of kits between 40k, Fantasy/AoS, and all the side games...i wanted to throw this terrain piece against the wall and use it as basing material LOL!  

Yeah, a real disappointment that one. The early AoS terrain was generally poorly done.

Agreed, look at the size of the latest hydra vs previous incarnations. It was a comparative joy to assemble vs the previous despite it being significantly larger too. 

Some metal stuff was lovely, because it was very limited in part numbers. I just remember having to hold parts in place whilst the glue set for what felt like an eternity to 11 year old me. I'd just pin it all now! 

The cauldron of blood is perfectly fine, except for the support beams for the platform. It has slight indentations, but not enough to get the solidly aligned. That makes it impossible to do one side before the other. So you have to hold 6! support beams at the right place to get them all in the slight indentations below and above.... It was horrible, and messy and very frustrating. Thing looks great now... but i'm still wary for the next one. 

Forgeworld Elysian Infantry squad, and without a doubt the single worst model I've ever built, the Forgeworld Elysian mortar team with the two guys running carrying the mortar.

If it wasn't a commissioned build and paint order for a customer I would have taken it to work with me next time I was on a range day and shot it full of 5.56mm NATO.

It was an emotional journey of self discovery, but looked fantastic when built and painted!20180227_145729.jpg.eae6aa4176e2f885654c03f20f9c9a30.jpg

Yan Lo...

But, if you mean Games Workshop models then I would have to say the original metal Nagash model.  My main difficulty with that model was getting myself to actually put it together.  I never did finish it either.  That guy was so horrible that I started hacking him up and rebuilding the model to look more like the amazing art from Mark Gibbons in the old Undead book when that model was available.  But I ended up dropping that army and going to Orcs & Goblins before I finished that conversion. 

I still have the partially built conversion in one of my bitz boxes from the 90s.  I have been thinking of turning it into a terrain piece as a broken statue of Nagash.  That seems like a cool use for that hideous old thing...

I would also day the occulum but i got mine free in the bitz box challenge at warhammer fest so i shouldnt complain really! My no. 1 worst us probably the lord cellestant from the AOS starter set, never have i used so many rubber bands to hold something together 

51 minutes ago, mastercrafted said:

My no. 1 worst us probably the lord cellestant from the AOS starter set, never have i used so many rubber bands to hold something together 

Yes! I found the Castellant surprisingly tricky too. Couldn’t figure his feet out :P If I made a mistake I managed to hide it though. Love the finished model, one of my favourite Stormcast Eternal models.

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

That guy was so horrible that I started hacking him up and rebuilding the model to look more like the amazing art from Mark Gibbons in the old Undead book 

Me too!  Added the hair, repositioned the arms, opened the mouth and added ****** ... the whole nine yards.

Edit:

Sharp pointie teeth gets filtered???

6 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Me too!  Added the hair, repositioned the arms, opened the mouth and added ****** ... the whole nine yards.

For those who are not familiar here is the old-school artwork for Nagash.  This single piece of artwork and the associated fluff in that old book was what got me to take the jump into Warhammer Fantasy and I have been a big fan of Nagash's story arc ever since.  I like Orcs & Goblins more (especially goblins), but Nagash will always remain one of my favorites.  I am very glad to see the major role he now plays in Age of Sigmar.  He is one of GWs all-time coolest characters.

I also want to say that GWs current art team is absolutely amazing, but I do really miss some of the stuff from Mark Gibbons.  He had some of the most iconic old artwork in just about any of GWs games.

82f180f0cafdc7f878b51a162d72842e.jpg

Archived