Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

Nagash is pretty much the defacto dictator of the underworlds and Shyish. It was very clear that it wasn't supposed to be like that, but Nagash being they way he is will use that power for personal gain. 

Yet the writers have confirmed his way is the end of chaos. Which is something I like, as I said it injects more grey into the setting. The malign portent short stories are great.

4 hours ago, The Golem said:

Yes but only in the Mortal Realms: the Chaos gods have other worlds and universes to corrupt and destroy. ;)

Well that's if Nagash decides to extend his reach further they better watch out. I do recall in the stream they do note if one god takes control of all the mortal realms they could rival the chaos gods. Hence the whole ending chaos comment. 

I like the implication in the story that the "forces of Order" is (in-universe) a careful least-common-denominator term used by commanders and politicians because it won't offend anyone. To loosely pull together folks in the face of chaos or Nagash.

The ambassador here represents tens of thousands of warrior aelves, each ready to fight in the name of Sigmar to–’

‘Of Khaine,’ said Llyr-Xiss.

Mench looked at the ceiling, counted to three, and continued. ‘Each ready to fight in the name of Order and progress, that we all may live without the shadows of Chaos and Death cast over our lives. Let that be an end to it.’

:P

No one is implied to be fighting just for Sigmar, ethnic and political differences are hurriedly glossed over, rivalries grudgingly put aside, motives (gold, religion) lumped together because we're all on the same side. For now.

Great story. My favorite bits: 

‘And this from the representative of a metropolis where the Stormcast act as judge, jury and executioner on a daily basis,’ said Llyr-Xiss. ‘How many innocent lives have been lost to the hammer of an overzealous Knight Excelsior, just because they were desperate to feed their family, or walked on the wrong side of the street? Come to that, how many of Sigmar’s warriors are stolen from their people and forced into doing his will?’

The Knight Excelsior must be the worst Stormcasts when even a Priestess of Khaine thinks she has the moral high ground. 

‘Of course not,’ huffed Evandelle of the High Artisans. She shared a look with her steam-cherubs, who rolled their eyes with a series of faint mechanical whirrs.

Steam-cherubs sound great. Please more of them.

‘And I,’ said Hexedentia Vimm, newly-appointed mistress of the Hammerhal Cog-forts.

The third time Cog-Forts have been mentioned in a Malign Portents short story. GW gimme that already!

15 minutes ago, Gecktron said:

Great story. My favorite bits: 

The Knight Excelsior must be the worst Stormcasts when even a Priestess of Khaine thinks she has the moral high ground. 

Steam-cherubs sound great. Please more of them.

The third time Cog-Forts have been mentioned in a Malign Portents short story. GW gimme that already!

Yeah, fourth ! "The Offer", "Iron and Oak", and now "The Great and the Good". 

First mention was IIRC in the Season Of War : Seeds of Hope global campaign booklet, then in Warhammer Quest : Shadow over Hammerhal and  Season of War : Firestorm. 

And here is your steam-cherub : 

empire_general_standard_accessory_large.jpg

15 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

Very good, a story of the heroic Skaven, yes-yes!

Perhaps an Eshin army-force from Ulgu is in the future!

Rats getting some love. An Eshin release would make the most sense. All their models are soooo old.  Plus, who does not love ninja rats. 

15 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

Is this some new ability which is coming? and the other thing that caught my eye was One is two and two are one. 

:)

Hm, Deathrunners use 2 models since they were introduced in Silvertower. So this Statement could be a referenced to that rule.

7 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Hm, Deathrunners use 2 models since they were introduced in Silvertower. So this Statement could be a referenced to that rule.

Would this Deathrunner be the same mentioned in the "Day of the Summoner" story?

35 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Yeah, presumably a reference to their ability to create doppelgangers, which would explain how Spark-Eye managed to pull off his assassination. 

A Legions of Nagasharmy, for example, might be led by a Vampire Lord, but you’ll still be able to enhance your Skeletons with the Wight King’s Lord of Bones, or a Khorne Bloodbound force could fight under the command of a Mighty Lord of Khornewhile keeping the flexibility to use the abilities of an Aspiring Deathbringerwhen you needed them.

I understand it this way that your general's abilities are granted and free. Especially the second part of the sentence gives me this impression. 

I read that differently, as before, you could ONLY use the general's command ability and/or only the general could use one.  Now you can choose to use it, or another, from another hero.  So, it reads to me that you get 1 free command point a turn and can use it with your general or another hero to activate a command ability.  Or save them up and use more than 1 in a turn later.

Archived