What are your 2018 Objectives?

Marc Wilson

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last Year's Progress:

1. Reel in the engagement hook and get married. Done

2. Move out of my cramped 1B1B apartment and into a spacier place. We moved into a nice 2,000 sqft 3B2B

3. Not let work bog me down during another month I plan a painting project. Work was surprisingly good after January. The Wedding, Honeymoon, House Hunting/Moving, that's another story.

4. If I don't get a cheap airbrush for Christmas, get one and figure out how it works. I got one for Christmas and promptly figured out I didn't have anything else to properly use it (plus, it was purposed for face painting instead of models). It's still around somewhere, waiting to be replaced.

5. Build about the same (~4000 points, I'll make that pretty easily with what is unopened) Made it to that, and 85% sure I've done more than that.

6. Paint More (a few Warmachine models) I've painted more things, but not more things than I did last year. Still I felt like I grew more confident as a painter.

7. Spend Significantly Less (I'd guess I spent $4000 in models this year. If I spend only $1000, it's a success). I did the math and had a number to this, it was close to $2500.

8. Make more hobby opinion videos. Like the world needs more. I did this early on, but since moving it has really dwindled off.

9. Play more games. Got in more 40K, not so much AoS. Helps to have a new friend move into town that wants to play.

Here are two before the end of this year:

1. Finish painting my Sylvaneth Army. I have a little more basing left and one unit.

2. Build the Stormcast Half of Blightwar sitting next to me.

So, for this year:

1. Organize my hobby space. Seeing Vince Venturella's Topic of the Week this week made me reexamine my "Play Room" as the wife calls it, and has me realizing that it's not set up the way I would hope.

2. Finish 3 full (at Least 1000 Point) armies to based and fully painted. One of these will be either the 'Nids or Dark Angels, and another I would like to try and complete within a month's time.

3. I've had the idea for a Skirmish Campaign I'd like to to as a video project. Of course, that involves some amount of painting as well

4. Either: Help bring a human into this world -or- (Considering the timeline) Know one is coming into the world next year.

5. Youtube Videos on a Regular Basis. About things that I want to talk about.

6. Stick to my Purchasing & Leftover Model Reduction Plans. I designed it to cut down on how much I purchase from ~$8/day to $4/day. But if I built models, I had more money to spend.

Think that's it!

1. Create / Build / Paint a competitive / fun Stormcast army. I would like this to be my tournament army of 2018.

2. Lead a fun 'Path to Glory' campaign. First game will take place next Tuesday. I plan to write a scenario for each battle (total of 12 during the whole campaign) that takes place.

3. Finish building and painting a Grey Knights 40k army - I know this isnt AoS, but its still a goal.

4. Win a game under GHB17.

5. Aim for top half finishes at future tournaments.

6. Sell / give away some stuff. I have far too much plastic that is either unbuilt, unpainted, or unused that I need to just get rid of.

7. Try to do more painting for fun, rather than just for a deadline. Although nothing quite gets you painting like the fear of a deadline!

My main aim is to play as many games of AOS as possible. It can be difficult to arrange as the 3 guys and myself in our group have busy schedules. Adulting sucks sometimes. 

To invest in my 2.5k nurgle force (waiting in hope for new releases). Hopefully some new mortal units as so far my army is largely daemon (currently 60 pbs, 12 toads, 6 drones, a herald and a EGUO. Plus a couple of mortal units).

Finally id like to start a 2nd army and get it up to 2 k. Likely death but am quite eager to see what direction aelves are taken in this higher fantasy theme (I’ll see which I like more upon releases).

My 2018 Objectives for Age of Sigmar.

I will break my objectives into 2 different Primary Categories. One set for my Blades of Khorne Collection, one for my ‘Death’ Collection, and then a few idears that dont fit into either. 

Khorne:

• At the end of the 2018 have no model on the painting queue that was added before the summer of 2018.
  • Have played in an event with my Khorne List (Slobberknocker GT or Iron Halo GT most likely)
  • Build Display Board for Amy,
  • Play in a Warhost Scale Game.
  • Maintain a thread on this forum talking about my experiences with this army, including writing stories for the warband.

Death:

• At the end of the 2018 have no model on the painting queue that was added before the summer of 2018.
  • Added the needed units to finish the collections transition from a vampire counts army to an age of sigmar force.

Other:

• Have finished an AOS book per month, and reviewed it on a book club thread on the TGA forum.
  • Have helped organize my local club to finish the current escalation league, and run at least 2 other events for Age of Sigmar.
  • Learn to be able to play a friendly game, and not let hyper-comp play dictate my whole hobby time!  

Also Related: Build some Mordheim warbands, in hope of being able to play a campaign of it one day!

My main objectives are as follows:

1. Paint at least as much as I buy. I... have never really even come close to this, and it's about time I started reducing the backlog rather than growing it :$

2. Build a fully detailed 6x4 gaming board. Been planning this for a little while, watch this space ;)

3. Expand my small death collection into a proper army and get at least 2000 points painted, probably to go with Malign Portents...

4. And of course just keep working on my other armies too!

My goals for 2018 are to take my hobbying up a gear:

1. Plan an army that will (hopefully) be effective on the table, rather than a collection of models I like.

2. Build and paint said army in the first six months of the year. 

3. Play 3-4 times a month (re-arrange work schedule) and up skill level.

4. Attend a tournament.

5. Enter a painting competition.

Now that I finished up the last of my Kharadron Overlords so I can I play KO allegiance at 2000 points, I'm hoping to get in a lot more games in 2018. My Nighthaunt shouldn't be far behind. I'm hoping that on the hobby side one of my big 2018 objectives will be to build out the AoS side of Nurgle with all the new stuff that comes out, at least a new GUO and Beasts of Nurgle.

Ok so let’s give this another go as seemed to work out well for me this year

1. Make it to the masters via rankings. The standard has gone up massively in 2017 and expect this to continue so reckon need 350 points or thereabouts. 

2. Keep the Tzeentch icon 

3. Finish painting the arcanite side of Tzeentch so I have close to the full faction - 30 Tzaangor, 30 Arcanites, 6 skyfires plus characters minimum  

4. Keep the 6 nations trophy with team England. 

For 2018, hobbywise:

• Finish cleaning out the minis I don't want/won't use
  • Paint up all of my Sylvaneth- There's 41 models currently, with 18 more on the way. Plenty doable.
  • Make a start on terrain building. I have everything I need, barring time.
  • Assemble and paint at least half of my Khorne Bloodbound.
  • Attempt diorama making and enter painting comps.
  • Play more games! xD My year was incredibly busy which left me with little time to roll dice.

• Start and finish a new army - BCR.
  • Finish Silver Tower.
  • Finish Blood Bowl.
  •  Build a gaming table.
  •  Make at least one full game board complete with terrain.
  • Properly outfit my hobby area.
  • Step out of my comfort zone with converting, painting, and greenstuff to grow as a hobbyist.

I got the rest of my Kharadron Overlords done and the last of my Nighthaunt army arrived today, so I might try to marathon finish it before the end of the year making my 2018 hobby goals all Nurgle, at least to start the year. Once I get my Deathguard and AoS Nurgle built out, I'll probably greatly reign in my hobbying aside from a random Stormcast or Disspossed unit here or there to ally with my KO's, and unless Death has a big release, I'll probably only be doing the new herald for them. I'm on the fence about building out a mixed Destruction army. I've got some Stone Trolls, some night goblins and and some squigs that I really only bought, built and painted because I like the models with no real game objective for them, but now that they're there, I'm very tempted to build out at least 1000 point army and of course once I get there I'll start thinking that 2000 points won't be that hard to get to.

My army is actually in a pretty good spot atm. I have about 4k death models painted up, so there's not real urgency to paint anything new...

Except for terrain. I plan to dedicate a bit more time to that often forgotten part of the hobby: getting a nice playing area together that allows for a large variety in games. 

1. 2000 point Stormcast army built and painted. With options. (currently at 1000)=A+

2. Play! I'm new to the hobby and have yet to play at my local shop. A few games at home with my son that have been great fun. But I hope to play at least once a month if possible.=F

3. Flesh out my Free City army. Using the warhammer community generator I rolled an Anvilgard-like racial makeup which should be fun.=B

4. Get involved in the community. Here and at my local shop.=C

5. Enjoy myself. =A+

Well I did pretty good with my 2017 goals so I'm hoping to smash me some more goals in 2018.

As great as it was getting an army paints, playing in tournaments and visiting Warhammer World for the first time, I'm most happy to have met some really nice people to game with who I can consider good friends. Big thanks to @RuneBrush, @Splitbristle, @******, @Searlero , @Scary Tramp and others for an awesome year of wargaming. It's been a pleasure to get to know you whilst taking your models off the table :D 

There is a few things I didn't get done in 2017 which I would have liked to so am going to make them a priority for the first part of the year:

• Finish the Hammers of Sigmar models for my army (1 Celestial Prime, 1 Errand Questor & 2 Fulminators).
  • Finish my Eldar models and weapon options from the small army I completed last year (5 Wraithguard to build and paint, 1 Farseer to paint, lots of weapons to paint)

And these are the goals I met in 2017 which I wish to continue doing throughout the year:

• Play at least twice a month at club/home with friends or new faces.
  • Continue to make more friends that hobby.
  • Visit Warhammer World again. We had an awesome weekend last year and would recommend a visit if you haven't been before.
  • Continue to have a friggin ball. More games, beer and chicken wings!

And here are some new goals I would like to achieve this year:

• Build a 2k Astral Templars army made predominately from the Vanguard Units
  • Expand my Skaven Skirmish warband to 100 renown and
  • Run a small local Firestorm campaign using Skirmish forces
  • Expand my Eldar army
  • Build a Necromunda gang and get involved in a local campaign.  
  • Expand my terrain boxes
  • Spend a little more time working on my painting control and evaluating what I have done.

Sounds like a lot but hope that I can maintain a little more focus during the later part of the year which I hadn't managed to do this year.

I hope you all have a rad 2018 and get everything you planned to done. See you in a year!

Keeping the list short as possible:
- Finish studies.
- Get my cool job again.
- Finish painting my Khorne, would make for 3K+ points in total.
- Complete my World Eaters Khorne army, which is slowely growing now.
- Finish converting and painting double axed Bloodthirster for the fun of it :) 
image.png.e71aa94ff6c897bbe3c5542115060a6e.png

Last year I aimed high and that did not work out so well, so this year I will mostly be sticking to very small goals. Lets call this a plan for the best, as it all depends on health permitting it:

-Move into a place where I can set up a proper painting and modeling desk. Actually set one up. Right now I can only paint and model standing up. This works ok for assembly and even sculpting, but when I attempt to paint, I notice that my bracing is insufficient for everything more detailed than rough basecoating, drybrushing and shading.

-Finish building and paint my Ogroid Thaumaturge and Chaos warriors. Sculpting is finished on some of these and almost finished on even more, including the Ogroid. The warrior where pretty much practise pieces in sculpting and should work great as practise pieces for painting as well. The Ogroid, I really want to do well on, making this one possibly the toughest goal.

-Have 1000 points of Death ready for play. Ready for play is an intentionally wide cathegory. It could mean unpainted and minis bluetacked to the base and more complex models bluetacked together, just for a quick side game. Could mean painted, but only with shades and drybrushing. Or it could be properly painted to a higher standart. Depends on all other factors. Sticking to skeletons would mean dealing with much simpler models that look good even with a simple paintjob. It also means I can stick to models I feel no need converting or that do not make as much work converting (to my liking).

-Get back to sculpting. I propably enjoy it more than any other part of the hobby and really felt like I was getting somewhere when I could still do it, so I really want to get back to it, if I can.

-Get an actual game in. The only goal from this year that I keep for 2018. Actual play is not my favorite part of the hobby, but I still feel like I am leaving something out as long as I do not play.

Stretch goals:

-Make terrain. Would love doing this and could even do it on bad health and a low budget, due to the larger scale. However, I would need space to make, store and actually use it, and I am unlikely to find a flat or room that provides enough space.

-Make a centerpiece for my Death/Deathrattle army. This means a big, heavily converted and well painted miniature. Something worth trying if I meet my original goals in good time.

-Make unique characters for the same army. For the original 1000 points a simply painted off-the-shelf wightking would suffice, but I would be much happier with unique and well painted characters.

-Finish all Tzeentch in my possession. That is altogether: Ten Chaos Warriors, five Chaos Knights, a Gorebeast Chariot, twenty Tzaangor, three Skyfires, ten Horrors, three flamers, a magister, a sorcerer lord and the Ogroid. Nearly all (sometimes heavily) converted with custom sculpting. In other words, it is not going to happen. But I am still keeping it as a strech goal to remind me that these need to be finished one day.

I have an amendment to my earlier post.

In addition to building all my stormcast boxes I have lying around, and hopefully painting them to add to my Hallowed Knights, collecting the latest BloodBowl and Necromunda releases and hopefully laying some games....

2018 has officially become the year I get a Death Guard army for 40k and a nurgle maggotkin army for AoS.

I don't see me keeping the sleep objective....

I aim too get back into the hobby good and proper. As much as I can anyway. Doing a sport which absorbs the same amount of time as a PT job leaves little room for other things on top of general life. So my Warhammer hobby time has been reduced to reading and painting the odd mini over the past 2 yrs.

Shadespire however is perfect for me, so I aim too buy the upcoming expansions this year and paint at least two of those I already have. 

Oh and try and get, on average, one solid gaming session in a week.

When it comes to the hobby, I only have three real goals for 2018.

1. Paint a 1000 points of AoS to a table-top standard for the Adepticon Team Tournament
  2. Make my way back to the UK and play at another AGoM
  3. Attend Lodgecon, Adepticon, BrewCity Brawl, Siegeworld, GenCon and Michigan GT in the US.

I hope to continue to make progress on another army over the course of the year, but that is the goal every year, so not really specific to the next one.

Archived