What would you do? I have a voucher I need to spend

So I’ve been holding on to some gift vouchers I had last year, in the hopes of spending it on a Horus Heresy set. Now the set is almost on us but I need to spend the voucher by the end of May. But I’m not too sure what to do so I’m hoping you guys can give me some consultancy on what I could do (payment is likes).

Ive been a bit meh with AOS at the moment but with Nighthaunts and Daughters getting updates, the game is going to be nicely shook up and it’s got me excited. So what would you do with £25 and the urge to start a new army? Anything is on the table but I do favour elite/small forces as there is less painting 🤣

• Like 2

• Subscriber
52 minutes ago, Gaz Taylor said:

So I’ve been holding on to some gift vouchers I had last year, in the hopes of spending it on a Horus Heresy set. Now the set is almost on us but I need to spend the voucher by the end of May. But I’m not too sure what to do so I’m hoping you guys can give me some consultancy on what I could do (payment is likes).

Ive been a bit meh with AOS at the moment but with Nighthaunts and Daughters getting updates, the game is going to be nicely shook up and it’s got me excited. So what would you do with £25 and the urge to start a new army? Anything is on the table but I do favour elite/small forces as there is less painting 🤣

For AoS, an Underworlds warband could be a good start for a new force tester. I've done a few and found I didn't like painting them and it saved me going full in on a new army before. 

If the voucher can be used on the FW, then you can always use it on something HH related to get ready for the box. Like a Legion Preator, Legion heads, or make upto a Legion Contemptor body (as the box will come with spare weapons it seems)

So the only FW you could get with a GW voucher would be from the GW store itself and I dont' think any of the AoS stuff is there. 

For £25 if you had an itch for a new army then that would cover the battletome cost which is often a good solid first investment in a new army. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gaz Taylor said:

If you are in to Horus Heresy gaming, I suggest to wait until this new edition (june maybe?). With that big Box and maybe a few weapon packs (or Special units), you already have enough to play Zone Mortalis games and close to 2000 points (depending on your units loadouts).

I'm really curious to see what Horus Heresy will become. It seems that a simple +1 to move buff can make a unit become something really diferent, and giving all this weight to Basic Stats is something that I really miss.

42 minutes ago, Beliman said:

If you are in to Horus Heresy gaming, I suggest to wait until this new edition (june maybe?).

Not an option as I need to use it by end of May 🤣

Well I think I can convert it to a virtual voucher or complain in store but I’m now tempted with something for AOS 😁

1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

For AoS, an Underworlds warband could be a good start for a new force tester. I've done a few and found I didn't like painting them and it saved me going full in on a new army before. 

That’s a good idea. I might look at that 👍

1 hour ago, Overread said:

For £25 if you had an itch for a new army then that would cover the battletome cost which is often a good solid first investment in a new army. 

At moment I’m very much thinking models as I think get the book, I’ll read and not touch if I don’t like it. Models means I should have fun.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Not as exciting but have you considered paint and peripherals? I don't know what brands you prefer, so a GW voucher might not get you your preferred type, but a few pots of contrast paint or washes always come in handy, and it saves real money for the HH minis when they come out.

I was about to suggest the same, particularly if Gaz knows what colour scheme he is going to use and doesn't have the paints.

If i had that amount i would spend it on Underworlds warbands. Great models, fun to paint, could use them as proxy models most of the time or use them as is. Could be the start of a new army or use them to play Warcry. I own 4 warbands now and never played or own Underworlds to be honest. Just love the models.

I need to buy the new Skaven warband at some point to start a Skaven army after im done with my backlog.

Edited by Iksdee
  • Like 2

I think for myself if I had an army project in mind with that £25 I'd probably begin on getting a kit or character model to then convert (or just build) into a general (or other hero) to fit my project theme and give me a nice characterful model on the table, usually using bits from my bits box. As has been mentioned underworlds warbands can be very useful for this sort of thing. Otherwise I'd look at what kits for that army I can get for that cost and begin there. My general go to's for picking a project are 1) Do I have a cool conversion theme idea? 2) How much do I like the idea of the armies playstyle? 3) How many models will I need? 4) How expensive will it be in the long run. Generally in that order as well. 

I can't speak on nighthaunt but daughters can be a somewhat smaller elite force if focusing on Scathborn (snakes mainly) with big pieces like the cauldrons etc. There's also the option of (if you're a more casual or narrative player) beginning with spending that money on some kits and bits to make a cool Anvil of Apotheosis hero for that force and theme, lets you kick off the project with something fun, interestingly unique and personal to you. I'd also echo sentiments of warcry boxes, in part because they can be used to make pretty awesome conversions and projects for humanoid forces that have a rather different and unique motif.

You could likely make some really cool DoK foot heroes/squadleaders/cauldron buddies with the Cypher Lords by doing some simple headswaps and it would leave plenty of extra cool looking weaponry to outfit your witches and sisters with for some cool gladiator-esque themes.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:57 PM, Skreech Verminking said:

Invest it in rats.

we all know you always wanted to field a mischief of rats.

What better way to start some mischief 😂

I have a feeling there's going to be a rat infestation on eBay once the new box starts getting sent out.

I would personally purchase something that works well for both AOS and HH. Preferably something hobby related like paints but alternatively you can also get terrain...

Or you can put it towards Be'Lakor. A nice centre piece demon that would work well in AOS or 30K as I am just learning about HH I read that demons are a little more ambiguous so an undivided equivalent of a greater demon might be a really fun model for both. The Ogroid heroes, Sphiranx and Fomroid would make good undivided proxy demons in a pinch.

8 minutes ago, Laststand said:

Can you use the voucher to buy another voucher? That would extend it until the heresy set arrives. 

Nope. I popped into my local store where the voucher came from. I was told they would honour the voucher if I was saving it for heresy but they couldn’t do any swaps due to how it messes with the sales for the store. I have found out I can convert it to a digital voucher but that can only be used with the webstore.

Theres a good chance Heresy is up for preorder next week however I noticed the store still had a box of 40K Chaos Knights which is very tempting. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Theres a good chance Heresy is up for preorder next week however I noticed the store still had a box of 40K Chaos Knights which is very tempting. 

It is!  2 week preorder too...  The Chaos Knights do look good, certainly have one on my list of things I fancy painting at some point (it's a long list)