Unpopular opinion thread

Unpopular Opinion:

I think that GW is not using all the potential mechanics for a game that uses 1D6 dice, even if it helps the game being faster and brings more interactions between players. Instead, we have a mix of basic mechanics (add +1 to something, re-roll 1/dice, and add X", etc...) and complicated interactions.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Beliman said:

Unpopular Opinion:

I think that GW is not using all the potential mechanics for a game that uses 1D6 dice, even if it helps the game being faster and brings more interactions between players. Instead, we have a mix of basic mechanics (add +1 to something, re-roll 1/dice, and add X", etc...) and complicated interactions.

Can you give some examples?  What kind of mechanics would you like to see?

On 11/2/2021 at 6:14 PM, OG SCE said:

Can you give some examples?  What kind of mechanics would you like to see?

Yes of course. I know some of them are already in AoS, but they are just anecdotes or a shadow of what they can be used for, but I will list the first ones that come to my head. I'm pretty sure that there are a lot more:

• Auto-Hit and Auto-wound: Vanari Bladelords, it's a mechanic that should be exploited. Ex.: To Hit Rolls of 6 Auto-wound the enemy.
  • Bonus dice: Add one dice, and then discard the lowest Ex.: Instead of 2D6 to charge, roll 3D6 and then discard the lowest.
  • Minus dice: Add one dice, and then discard the highest. Ex.: Instead of 2D6 to cast an spell, roll 3D6 and then discard the highest.
  • Fixed defense: Abilities that ignore/reduce/have a bonus to enemies rolls. Ex.: Wound rolls of 1-3 are never successful. 
  • Table edges: Each number of a dice roll points to one edge of the table. Ex.: Ambush mechanic. On a 1, nothing happens, on 2-5, your units come from an specific table edge, on a 6, you chose the edge where they come. Change "Ambush" for  "tidal wave" spell  that hits all units within  9" of that edge.
  • Confronted dice: What we have as a starting roll. Ex.: My Hero will attack first if He/She wins a confronted roll vs your engaged Hero.
  • Conditional bonus to Movement/Roll: Add Dice/Movement if a units move over a Terrain Feature/Quarter/ Within X" of an enemy/etc... Ex.: Add 1D3" to your run roll if the movement for that unit passes over a Terrain Feature.

(Non-dice related)

• Attack Last Weapons: Strong weapon profile that can only be used if the unit attacks at the End of the Fight Phase.
  • Attack First Weapons: Fast/Weak weapon profile that allows the unit to attack at the Start of the Fight Phase but only with that weapon profile.
  • Sniper: Ignore Look Out Sir/Cover/Garrison rules
  • Anything Bravery-related: Whatever that is not a roll to remove models or that can be ignored.
  • Bonus for targeting X role: Instead of having bonus versus other GA alliance or a specific keywordadd X to your To wound/Hit/Save/Spells/Prayers/whatever when targeting/being the target of/by a specific Role. Ex.: Add +1 to casts to your Mystical Shield when you targer a friendly battleline unit.

Take in mind that some of them can be expanded in a lot of diferent ways, but I tried to simplify as much as I could.

Edited by Beliman
Grammar
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 4

Yeah it's kind of crazy how unimaginative GW are with mechanics like that in AOS. Basically everything listed there is used in 40k (one could say it's relied on a little too much with regards to things like 'Fixed Defence' though) but with AOS there's just so much "MW on hit rolls of 6+" that a lot of units just feel really bland and indistinct from one another.

• Thanks 1

Here is one: bravery shouldn't (just) be about fleeing after losing units. Instead, the charge rule should have an overhaul. Also, the charge itself shouldn't be this random dice roll based on distance. Whether units charge, should depend on their bravery characteristic, being modified by whether the target unit is a monster, elite or just chaff and perhaps even hero's or other units being close by. This would also give units like the kahrybdis an interesting niche; perhaps being relatively weak but hard to charge. 

Edited by Abstract_duck
  • Like 5

Unpopular Opinion:

As a Community we should really take a hard look at the amount of insufferable nicknames we use for units and characters.

Off the top of my head. Dobby for Marshcrawla, Kraggy for Kragnos. Any unit just use basic adjective and add “bois” (i.e. ghosty-bois, stabby-bois)

Enough is enough.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Vomikron said:

Unpopular Opinion:

As a Community we should really take a hard look at the amount of insufferable nicknames we use for units and characters.

Off the top of my head. Dobby for Marshcrawla, Kraggy for Kragnos. Any unit just use basic adjective and add “bois” (i.e. ghosty-bois, stabby-bois)

Enough is enough.

Also: acronyms. I imagine especially new players will find it hard to sort through BoC, DoT, DoK, BoK, IDK, OBR, SBGL and MBMKs and so on and so forth..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 11/6/2021 at 6:23 AM, Abstract_duck said:

Here is one: bravery shouldn't (just) be about fleeing after losing units. Instead, the charge rule should have an overhaul. Also, the charge itself shouldn't be this random dice roll based on distance. Whether units charge, should depend on their bravery characteristic, being modified by whether the target unit is a monster, elite or just chaff and perhaps even hero's or other units being close by. This would also give units like the kahrybdis an interesting niche; perhaps being relatively weak but hard to charge. 

If this is a consideration the bravery system/values need to be completely reworked.

GW doesn't take bravery into account when creating warscrolls. What I mean by that is they won't penalize a warscroll for having good bravery nor will they compensate another warscroll for having poor bravery.

There are so many armies that are simply handed out 10 bravery while most of destruction is sitting at 4-5.

I think a more interesting thing would be for them to add abilities that explore different ways to play with bravery.

Gutrippaz Shield rule could have two options try to scare troops and give -1 (current rule) or goad a creature into attacking 2d6, lower than bravery unit cannot retreat.

I think these rules would be much more interesting than high bravery good, low bravery bad. Although this wouldn't be an issue if bravery had any real weight on how expensive/strong a unit was.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Vomikron said:

Unpopular Opinion:

Enough is enough.

Absolutely agree that names like Krule Boyz, Orruk, Aelf, Duardin, Ogor and similar are dumb and shouldn't be used.

I'm not going to type out the superfluous words in things like Lumineth, Cities, Tzeench, Stormcast etc though.

3 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

" What is the acronym for Idoneth again?"
"IDK"

"Fair enough, I'll ask someone else"

Or GW should specifically create more factions with the same acronyms as common bits of internet parlance. Just to confuse things more!

I hereby rename Lumineth realm lords as lumineth over lords

LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

"IDK"

Or GW should specifically create more factions with the same acronyms as common bits of internet parlance. Just to confuse things more!

I'd say that ID would be enough, but I just write Idoneth. Shortening a 47 syllable faction name makes more sense than shortening "Dwarfs".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

The one that most often throws me is actually SoB meaning Sons in AoS land and Sisters to the 40k lot. That and BoK, which for some reason I always read as Beasts of Kaos, before remembering that Khorne is a thing. 

I do always reas Sons of, but not Behemat. Neither do Archeon and friends top the mind when reading STD.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, zilberfrid said:

Absolutely agree that names like Krule Boyz, Orruk, Aelf, Duardin, Ogor and similar are dumb and shouldn't be used.

I'm not going to type out the superfluous words in things like Lumineth, Cities, Tzeench, Stormcast etc though.

Well I actually like that AoS partly uses it's own faction terms. It's basicly like when in Lord of the Rings "Uruk'hai" is used for an Orc Type or Hobbit for Halfling (or "Elben" as a german translation for Elves) or like Dark Elves are sometimes called Drow. It gives the chance that those races can have other characteristics than the once we know from "dwarfs", "elves", "orcs" or "ogres" or like we have two trolllike races with Troggoths and Sloggoths.

Interestingly, looking at the german translation for Krule Boyz, they were called "Moorpirscha" which would translate back to "moor stalker"

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Well I actually like that AoS partly uses it's own faction terms. It's basicly like when in Lord of the Rings "Uruk'hai" is used for an Orc Type or Hobbit for Halfling (or "Elben" as a german translation for Elves) or like Dark Elves are sometimes called Drow. It gives the chance that those races can have other characteristics than the once we know from "dwarfs", "elves", "orcs" or "ogres" or like we have two trolllike races with Troggoths and Sloggoths.

Interestingly, looking at the german translation for Krule Boyz, they were called "Moorpirscha" which would translate back to "moor stalker"

Moor Stalkers would be a lot better!

• Like 4

On 11/7/2021 at 3:53 PM, EccentricCircle said:

"IDK"

Is it SBG, SGL, or SBGL?