Unpopular opinion thread

Bringing existing factions up to date should be prioritized over fancy new factions. Sorry, no new spooky ghost pirates, chorfs, or edgelord aelves until skaven and seraphon get modernized kits. Further, all of the factions should be updated at somewhat the same frequency. We won't be needing any new Stormcast models until 2027, please and thank you.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

I'd rather have some kits not updated if they're still holding out well, rather than updated and twice as expensive (i.e. I really like the current chaos warriors/knights situation; I can get the new ones if I want them to look amazing, but I can still get some very good looking ones at a decent price).

• Like 5

Unpopular opinion: Lumineth Realmlords are an overtooled abomination; consisting of 50% great and 50% terrible models. *throws wood into the fire* and the game would be better off without another constellation of 50% of their army.

:D

Another unpopular opinion: Malerion is the rightful ruler and god of all aelf-kind

change my mind! :P

• Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Here are a few of my unpopular opinions or at least opinions I do not often see expressed.

I equally enjoy both Duardin and Aelves and find the rivalry between the two groups and their fans pretty tedious. Honestly, it is mostly regular humans that I find to be extremely boring. 

I much prefer the lore, setting and aesthetic of AOS to both WHFB and 40k. I know this is not an unpopular opinion here on TGA, but I still think it is not the standard feelings in the community at large. I find Stormcast more interesting visually and narratively than Space Marines and I feel Chaos Warriors are also much better than their one dimensional Evil Space Marine equivalents. 

I think that a lot of the issues people have with armies either in terms of aesthetics or play style is often derive from the generic paint schemes or the competitive play styles. I think with the right paint scheme or unit composition most people will find greater pleasure from most factions. For example, I am not a big fan of gunline armies but I would enjoy creating a list around Gotrek with lots of boats functioning as weapons platforms supporting a mighty champion. I also do not love any of the standard colour schemes for Stormcast but I think the sculpts are fantastic and look great with most unique schemes I see. I do know that there are likely exceptions for some people to both of these points but I often enjoy looking for inspiration in an army that did not speak to me initially. 

Finally, I personally think Pineapple pairs really well with pizza and I am fine if people do not like the combination. I have no clue why people are so passionate about what toppings people enjoy and I think this can extend to other questions of taste. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Unpopular opinion: Lumineth Realmlords are an overtooled abomination; consisting of 50% great and 50% terrible models. *throws wood into the fire* and the game would be better off without another constellation of 50% of their army.

Another unpopular opinion: Malerion is the rightful ruler and god of all aelf-kind

I think I agree, I just hope we're on the same page as to which half of the models are beautiful and which are crimes against aelvemanity. I adore the wardens, sentinels, dawnriders, bladelords.. basically things sticking with the high elf aesthetic. All of the earth and wind stuff keeps me from buying into the faction. Oh, and Teclis is hideous. 

And yes, Malerion is the rightful aelf overlord. I am eager to see his new faction eventually and want to start it as my next army, but am also fearful they'll Lumineth it up and I'll hate it.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, Orbei said:

I think I agree, I just hope we're on the same page as to which half of the models are beautiful and which are crimes against aelvemanity. I adore the wardens, sentinels, dawnriders, bladelords.. basically things sticking with the high elf aesthetic. All of the earth and wind stuff keeps me from buying into the faction. Oh, and Teclis is hideous. 

That's not an unpopular opinion, that's what people repeats in every forum.

Btw, kangaroos and cows are awesome.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 8

My unpopular opinion:

This is a strategic wargame, and the focus of GW should be on rulesets and balancing (both internal and external) or the community should differ to a ruleset which can and simply use the well made models for other games at their discretion. In essence, unless the rules team starts putting substantially better work out, and soon, the community should not put up with poorly designed, implemented, and unproofread rules for the sake of well crafted models. I love painting GW models, but don't like seeing half of a battletome being unplayable as compared to its other half, or factions whose only means of playing at a tactical level rely on single gimmick heavy builds that don't fit what appears to be the vision of the army.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Says the person with Moathi as their avatar?! Shame!

• Haha 3

I don't like the ubiquity of big god models and I think the game has gone substantially too far in that direction. It's boring having a god in almost every game, and I don't like that they are such compelling choices competitively. I'd prefer a game where the big god models are playable but not competitively ideal. That way, if people want to play with them they can and it won't make them lose every game, but it also won't be competitively required or even encouraged. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Unpopular opinion: GW moving away from the wacky, random rules of WHFB (everything with giants, Skaven weapon teams exploding or getting extra killy, Orcs being wildly unpredictable in general) to a more streamlined experience took away some character from the game. I'm a beer&pretzels gamer, I don't even play to win, I just want big things go boom and laugh like a maniac.

And...

We need more LGBTQ+ characters in lore. No, I will not elaborate.

• Like 25
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Games Workshop is a miniature company, not a game company.

They have talented model designers (as well as people designing space marines), but the game quality is lacking.

That said, scale creep is GW's biggest problem, and they need more diversity in their humans, elves and dwarves (though recent humans and elves are getting there).

Edited by zilberfrid
  • Like 4

Unpopular opinion: old fantasy models are so much sexy than new weirdos armys of aos as kharadrons vs olddwarfs or luminett vs high elfs.

New aos armys(the 90% of new armys) are too much weird and dont feel as elfs or dwarfs,they are clowns or girls that seems men or men with body of girl etc.

It is so hard a army with only dwarfs heavy armored and not with steampunk diver suits? Or elfs with heavy armor and not bald and blind riding fishes

• Haha 4
  • Confused 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, yukishiro1 said:

I don't like the ubiquity of big god models and I think the game has gone substantially too far in that direction. It's boring having a god in almost every game, and I don't like that they are such compelling choices competitively. I'd prefer a game where the big god models are playable but not competitively ideal. That way, if people want to play with them they can and it won't make them lose every game, but it also won't be competitively required or even encouraged. 

Definitely would prefer if more gods were in the new Nagash point range or higher than where they currently are. Morathi points cost is an blight on the game for such an obnoxious model.

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 1

True line of sight is bad I'd rather they have a system of Height for models to simplify interactions with terrain, line of sight and avoid dumb arguments. 

For example Swarms are SMALL (all caps represent a potential keyword).

Man sized is the assumed standard so no Keyword

LARGE for Cavalry, Monstrous Infantry and Cavalry

MONSTER is pretty much everything that is currently a monster

GIGANTIC/COLOSSAL for anything really big that isn't a monster (for rules interactions purposes) like an Ironclad and Screaming bell.

Edited by Gaz Taylor
Edited as some people may be offended by the phrasing
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

More like my decisive opinions but

soup tomes are trash and are not a good thing for small subfraction or armies in the end like with bone splitters and spider fang.

CC getting canned may have been good thing since it means no expansions and more worth while release in the schedule

fantasy Grognards are toxic and have shape the divide of the current fantasy community like between dakka and reddit

The games is not meant to be taken seriously or at any competitive level just by the lack of effort and how GW release the game makes it impossible for any equal footing or structure to exist to be competitive, which is why I don’t understand why people get bent out of shape for rule books to come out fast they get either power creeped or outdated in a year. Model releases are better then rules always

squating of model is natural way of the industry in the end

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, BigNStinky said:

Definitely would prefer if more gods were in the new Nagash point range or higher than where they currently are. Morathi points cost is an blight on the game for such an obnoxious model.

Honestly I'd personally prefer if they weren't just big heroes but something fundamentally different. E.g. Gods don't start on the table, they get summoned in based on accomplishing certain things particular to each God and faction. So like to summon Archaon for example you'd need to summon him by earning the favor of the chaos gods - you'd need to get 4 dedication points, one to each chaos god, and you could accomplish them in a variety of ways - an objective you control could be dedicated to a god that matches the mark of one of the controlling units and you get that god's favor, or when you roll on the eye of the gods table that would get the favor of the god corresponding to that model's mark, or there would be a prayer all STD priests know that they could pray for the favor of the mark that matches them, or you could accomplish one specific thing for each god (i.e. wipe out an enemy unit in a single combat to get khorne's favor, cast a spell on a 9+ to get tzeentch's favor, complete a charge with a unit that's taken damage to get slaanesh's favor, heal a model 3 or more wounds or deal 3 or more MW to the enemy to get nurgle's favor). Undivided marked units can earn points for any god (only one per turn per unit, though).

In terms of on the table abilities, they could have roughly the same powers they have now, but with a reduced points cost to account for the fact that they likely won't get onto the table until T3 or later unless the stars align. This makes Gods more interesting and less of an all-or-nothing choice, and also reduces the alpha potential in the game as well. Morathi, Archaon, etc are far less oppressive if they only appear halfway through the battle after you'd had a chance to wear down their followers first, instead of having to deal with a God alpha-striking your army with perfect support. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 12
  • LOVE IT! 1

They should rip the bandaid off and squat all older armies like that did with Asur instead of slowly hobbling them over time and give them proper Mortal Realms crazy replacements like they did with glorious Vampire-centaurs and Lumineth battle cattle & kangaroos but with even crazier hats.

The sooner Seraphon, Skaven and Cities of Sigmar get condensed  down to 15 models each with stuff like magi-tech sci-fi dino-cyborgs & Aqshy mortals in firelizard-scale cloaks armed with flaming greatswords so we have more room to move on to all new races like Silent People, Aetar, anti-chaos sea daemons amd gholemkin the better.

Also no more old reference models beyond god-Tyrion and monstrous Malerion. Pure new characters and races that can't be traced back to the World-that-was like the all new Kragnos and Krondys.

Note:(these are all personal feelings. Fully understand GW dragging it's feet and wanting to make AoS have something for everyone as infinite realms can.)

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Nacnudllah said:

GW should have let the community handle points and other comp systems.  The game was better without (official GW) points or Force Org.

I enjoyed 1st edition as well!  And speaking of unpopular opinions...

...until Path to Glory came out, Open Play and the Open War cards and army generator were the best way to play! 😤

• Like 2

Ok here goes. 

1- most of the opinions listed here aren't unpopular and just represent what most of the community thinks. 

2- The only game that gw wants to be competitive is Warhammer Underworlds. For every other game, the focus is narrative play by which I mean two players deliberately tailoring their lists in order to see exciting things happen on the table rather than aiming to defeat the other player. The only truly competitive player in the studio is Ben Johnson and he doesn't write the rules.  As such if we want AoS to be a balanced competitive game, it's on us. 

3- we should always play RAI if we aren't sure. The insistence by the community to always play RAW has made the game worse by forcing gw to write their rules like a legal document. 

4- Comp is good for the game. Gw has repeatedly said that they intend their rules to be a sandbox that players can pick and choose from to make an enjoyable game. There was a tournament the other week that had a no named characters rule and it created  some really interesting results. 

5- If I was to run a tournament next week I would make Morathi take 4 damage a turn, make the sentinels bird ability once per battle, and have the mightier makes rightier rule degrade as the gargant takes damage. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3