How many squatted armies does everyone have

GTK

None, I sold them all at the start of AoS because it was pretty obvious where they were going to end up. I do slightly regret selling all my old metal Orcs and Goblins though.

I would also happily buy a Brettonian army if they still existed. I always thought they looked pretty great.

I have never done a full inventory and I have moved so much in my life it's hard to keep track and im sure pieces of my old armies are scattered between my home here, my parents house and an ex's trashbin but at one point I had about 4k worth of Dwarfs, 2k Tomb Kings and 2k Orcs and Goblins on top of a few Wood Elf units. I'd say over 80% of all that has been squatted.  

I think I have about 8 warmaster armies, 4 epic armies and 3 battlefleet gothic fleets. Do those count? I also have an orc and goblins army, a Chris Fitzpatrick era dark elf army, a small  third edition wood elf army, a bunch of classic empire stuff and a few brettonians. I was also building a codex Witch Hunters army before I moved to Japan and stepped away from the hobby for a while. 

19 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

It does become somewhat painfully clear how much was dumped even within AoS's lifetime. This makes the proxy opinion of GW even less tenable.

Yeah it sucks and with the rising price of the hobby (I know not the topic here) it's better to focus on 1 or 2 factions that will stick around for a while. 

I think any models (other then SCE) that has been released since the launch of AoS will have a long sku life though.  

3 hours ago, Chikout said:

I think I have about 8 warmaster armies, 4 epic armies and 3 battlefleet gothic fleets. Do those count? I also have an orc and goblins army, a Chris Fitzpatrick era dark elf army, a small  third edition wood elf army, a bunch of classic empire stuff and a few brettonians. I was also building a codex Witch Hunters army before I moved to Japan and stepped away from the hobby for a while. 

I forgot about Warmaster and Epic have 4 gone between those. Can still play like Mordeim with their rules at least.

57 minutes ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Yeah it sucks and with the rising price of the hobby (I know not the topic here) it's better to focus on 1 or 2 factions that will stick around for a while. 

I think any models (other then SCE) that has been released since the launch of AoS will have a long sku life though.  

Except, of course, models like the Excelsior Warpriest, other Silver Tower, Hammerhal and Cursed City heroes.

Honestly, we have no idea what is going to be dumped when.

• Like 2

I'm lucky enough to play with people who are open to all sorts of proxies. I have quite a bit of old stuff in the dwarfs and o&g ranges that have been squated but I'll use them any way. As someone said earlier, the mix and match of eras and style is really something beautiful especially when you have kept a color scheme throughout the years.

Some of those oldhammer sculpts are just too good and full of personality to abandon on the side of the road.

• Like 4

A long, long time ago, I was the owner of a small highelf army.

Although I kinda sold those guys, unintentionally, a month before they were officially removed from the game.

Although still owning a small number of highelfs infantry (like swordmasters), I currently don’t really own many or any discontinued faction at this point.

Also are old highelf models, that look exactly like the new lumineth just more aged, considered a proxy?

I've just brought the long oop wood elf army box and a huge, huge amount of chaos dwarves. Whilst I can understand the need for GW to remove rules for items they no longer sell (Due to the copyright issues of the past) and the need to refresh model lines every few years, I will never understand the communities reaction to is as being one of 'Oh no can't use those models any more'.

If someone was to say that older models can't be used any more in game (Simple due to the commercial decisions made by GW), they would receive a lifetime ban from my groups club for sure. Here, the term 'squatted' just means to get destroyed by someone fielding their squat army in games of Epic 40k.

• Like 4

On 7/5/2021 at 1:17 PM, GTK said:

Mostly a question for old-timers but anyone welcome.My list includes from Warhammer,DOW and Chaos Dwarves.From Storm of Chaos,the black orcs,Lothern Seaguard and the Vampire army.From AOS I've lost Wood Elves,Brettonia and my Wolfrider army(all Hobgoblins).So over the years I've just learned to live with it and move on.

I haven't lost any armies to being squatted.

My wood elves still exist as Cities of Sigmar and Sylvaneth.  My Beasts of Chaos and Slaanesh are also fine.  In fact surprisingly BoC have a lot of units that I would have fully expected to be removed (so much finecast).

However I haven't played campaign armies or supplement armies that didn't even have models at the time to support them (a la storm of chaos,.. custom built daemon chariots for example).

My Wardancers can work as Wildwood Rangers, my Warhawks as Gyrocopters, Great Eagle lords as Gyrobombers, Dragons as Black Dragons my old 1994 era Treemen got converted up with old mages and some woods to be a Hurricanum.  Any hero fits as a unit champion and now that champions can do command abilities makes them more unique. Plus MSU, more reasons to put them in.  BSBs can be unit standard bearers.  I can even find a use for my 1987 Elven Attack Chariot in games.  It really doesn't matter to a good opponent if you are clear.  My Glade Guard are now Sisters of the Watch (found some extra flaming bows, GS the others, even 3D print flaming bows).  

Even with Sigvald and Be'Lakor if you build up the model to be appropriate sized as a diorama on a proper base you can overcome scale creep.  

I would say other than Chaos Dwarfs (rumoured to be returning) and Squats (just play guard with them and win coolest army) there is very little in the majority of games played you cannot make work.  Some tournaments may have issues but really,.. you're competing in the WAAC arena so do whatever, be fully aware of what a tournament means.  

People could do with looking more on problem solving instead of "GW screwed me".  Perspective also helps.  When i got back into this game in 2003 people kinda balked at me using models from the late 1980s.  maybe what 16 years apart?  Even if that,.. some Space Ork Warbosses were on sale through the 1990s, so less than 10 years of scale change. Thinking back to Glade Guard those are 18 year old models now that have seen a LOT of play in 18 years.  Some of the issues with being squatted could just be the next generation being on the crux of "aging out" of the era 20 years before.  Storm of Chaos was nearly a full two decades ago.  Also I saw a guy using old 1990s Lothern Seaguard as LRL Spearmen,.. so who cares...

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

I've just brought the long oop wood elf army box and a huge, huge amount of chaos dwarves. Whilst I can understand the need for GW to remove rules for items they no longer sell (Due to the copyright issues of the past) and the need to refresh model lines every few years, I will never understand the communities reaction to is as being one of 'Oh no can't use those models any more'.

If someone was to say that older models can't be used any more in game (Simple due to the commercial decisions made by GW), they would receive a lifetime ban from my groups club for sure. Here, the term 'squatted' just means to get destroyed by someone fielding their squat army in games of Epic 40k.

I wish I could have ever afforded Chorfs. Dream army but I can't afford to take an extra loan out to buy just the battleline.

2 minutes ago, BigNStinky said:

I wish I could have ever afforded Chorfs. Dream army but I can't afford to take an extra loan out to buy just the battleline.

If you like original big hats over the newer style forgeworld did, get them from the Russian Alternative. Insanely cheap and really, really good service. Models are insanely crisp and detailed. I put off buying them for a long time as I'm not a fan of resin, but so glad I got them now. They can be slow to arrive since covid trashed the post, but their service is amazing and they will make sure you get them. Took them from april to Dec to get me my order last year, but they were fantastic about it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RexHavoc said:

If you like original big hats over the newer style forgeworld did, get them from the Russian Alternative. Insanely cheap and really, really good service. Models are insanely crisp and detailed. I put off buying them for a long time as I'm not a fan of resin, but so glad I got them now. They can be slow to arrive since covid trashed the post, but their service is amazing and they will make sure you get them. Took them from april to Dec to get me my order last year, but they were fantastic about it.

Any chance you could DM me someone reputable? I know posting about casting can be a bit touchy around here but I'd love to know of where  I could get a good detail alternative.

32 minutes ago, BigNStinky said:

Any chance you could DM me someone reputable? I know posting about casting can be a bit touchy around here but I'd love to know of where  I could get a good detail alternative.

'Russian alternative' is just a store/company. They have a webpage. Nothing unrepeatable about the company at all!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I haven't lost any armies to being squatted.

My wood elves still exist as Cities of Sigmar and Sylvaneth.  My Beasts of Chaos and Slaanesh are also fine.  In fact surprisingly BoC have a lot of units that I would have fully expected to be removed (so much finecast).

However I haven't played campaign armies or supplement armies that didn't even have models at the time to support them (a la storm of chaos,.. custom built daemon chariots for example).

My Wardancers can work as Wildwood Rangers, my Warhawks as Gyrocopters, Great Eagle lords as Gyrobombers, Dragons as Black Dragons my old 1994 era Treemen got converted up with old mages and some woods to be a Hurricanum.  Any hero fits as a unit champion and now that champions can do command abilities makes them more unique. Plus MSU, more reasons to put them in.  BSBs can be unit standard bearers.  I can even find a use for my 1987 Elven Attack Chariot in games.  It really doesn't matter to a good opponent if you are clear.  My Glade Guard are now Sisters of the Watch (found some extra flaming bows, GS the others, even 3D print flaming bows).  

Even with Sigvald and Be'Lakor if you build up the model to be appropriate sized as a diorama on a proper base you can overcome scale creep.  

I would say other than Chaos Dwarfs (rumoured to be returning) and Squats (just play guard with them and win coolest army) there is very little in the majority of games played you cannot make work.  Some tournaments may have issues but really,.. you're competing in the WAAC arena so do whatever, be fully aware of what a tournament means.  

People could do with looking more on problem solving instead of "GW screwed me".  Perspective also helps.  When i got back into this game in 2003 people kinda balked at me using models from the late 1980s.  maybe what 16 years apart?  Even if that,.. some Space Ork Warbosses were on sale through the 1990s, so less than 10 years of scale change. Thinking back to Glade Guard those are 18 year old models now that have seen a LOT of play in 18 years.  Some of the issues with being squatted could just be the next generation being on the crux of "aging out" of the era 20 years before.  Storm of Chaos was nearly a full two decades ago.  Also I saw a guy using old 1990s Lothern Seaguard as LRL Spearmen,.. so who cares...

Yep, this is the attitude we all need to bring to the hobby. Rules will come and go, unit descriptions will change and GW will be ridiculously prescriptivist. But our lovingly crafted armies are eternal, so long as we don't give up on them!

I can also second the recommendation of Russian Alternative. I have quite a few of their Chaos Dwarfs too, and they are lovely sculpts.

They are not recasters, as I know some people think when they see the name, but rather a legitimate company with their own sculpters and a unique model range, albeit one inspired by some of the out of production GW aesthetics.

• Like 2

It sort of depends on how we define being squatted.

I don't think any army has even been removed from any edition of any GW game. It's always been a matter of them not making the jump to a new edition or their game being cancelled. Assuming the latter:

All Man O War fleets

All the Epic armies

Wood elves, Tomb Kings, a small Bretonnia force, Empire, O&G (including lots of forest goblins) as a straight up combo army,Chaos Dwarfs, Vampire Counts, Legions of Nagash ...

The list goes on.

Yes, several models from these armies can be repurposed in other armies, but those are not the same.

I've had literally thousands of models get left behind.

5 hours ago, Sleboda said:

It sort of depends on how we define being squatted.

I don't think any army has even been removed from any edition of any GW game. It's always been a matter of them not making the jump to a new edition or their game being cancelled. Assuming the latter:

All Man O War fleets

All the Epic armies

Wood elves, Tomb Kings, a small Bretonnia force, Empire, O&G (including lots of forest goblins) as a straight up combo army,Chaos Dwarfs, Vampire Counts, Legions of Nagash ...

The list goes on.

Yes, several models from these armies can be repurposed in other armies, but those are not the same.

I've had literally thousands of models get left behind.

Considering you look poorly on paintjobs being different, how do you deal with counts as?

Something is only out of play if the other person doesn't want to play against it, and you consider the privilige of playing that person worth the models GW dumped.

7 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

Considering you look poorly on paintjobs being different, how do you deal with counts as?

Something is only out of play if the other person doesn't want to play against it, and you consider the privilige of playing that person worth the models GW dumped.

I'm happy to try to engage in honest discussion of that, but I'm a little unclear on your meaning and intent. Can you clarify?

57 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I'm happy to try to engage in honest discussion of that, but I'm a little unclear on your meaning and intent. Can you clarify?

I should a seperate thread on the whole proxy/counts as and paint job issue, because it is quite an interesting topic.

You stated in the New Rules topic that you dislike someone using a colour scheme with rules that do not fit that colour scheme, as well as a dislike for proxies. Now the colour scheme isn't really the issue here, but to me disapproval of a colour scheme is reduced tolerance over someone using their old models in a new role.

In this thread, you state "Yes, several models from these armies can be repurposed in other armies, but those are not the same." and I wonder how those two fit together.

Using Thunderers as Handgunners, for instance, is repurposing a unit GW dumped to still be useable in game, but it is also form of proxying.

• Like 1