AoS3 - Soulblight Gravelord Discussion

RuneBrush

12 minutes ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

Looks like I am at an impasse then. I have the prince, a Vengorian lord, 15 bloodknights and 10 wolves ready to go and 445 point i do not know how to spend. I suppose that a big blob of zombies or skeletons is the savy choice but on the other hand I HATE BOTH ORDES AND PAESANTS.
Quite a conundrum indeed. I can hear voices  saying something on the line of "put in more bloodkniiiighs

You could also do 20 grave guard and a vampire lord. And put the grave guard in the grave if you need to so you can deepstrike/protect the grave guard

Edited by idn0971

The thing is, while Blood Knights are certainly powerful, they only really come at you from one direction.  It’s great to have the two or three squads for sure, my 10 have been my bread and butter most games.  I just can’t see more than 15-20 being viable once you want to start scoring VP’s.  I’ve been playing a cav heavy LoB list myself, and the 2x5 I bring often get in each others way with those bases.

Kastelai lists have generally bad magic casting ability and Soulblight don’t get many CP to work with either.  I think you may want to consider another vector of attack like Zombies from the Grave or Fellbats in order to plug up Unleash ****** and help herd units into your Riders of Ruin. 

Edited by Andalf

You can ambush blood knights in kastelai to get some more flexibility. Also the retreat and charge combined with the ability to fly over chaff allows you to get more mobility than you might think. Direwolves can also steal objectives if they survive a charge since they are speedy and don't do damage anyway 

I always forget about the outflank they have.  Not a hard mechanic to block out for some, but definitely makes it seem like taking anything other than Blood Knights in Kastelai isn’t necessary!

I do wonder how much the smaller board will affect these reserve options going forward.  Whether anybody is going to hold out to bring things in later in the game and such.

Edited by Andalf

i guess that adding 10 grave guards and radukar the beast could be interesting. Putting them in graves to nab objectives without getting mulched too much by shooting sounds nice and radukar fits really well with kastelai style, it would also leave me with 90 points left for endless spells and a triumph.
I suppose that shields should be the best option to hold something, also i always wanted foot blood knights. Suggestions on the models to use? I reckon DE executioners would fit nicely

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • LOVE IT! 1

5 hours ago, Tizianolol said:

Guys do you know if unlash hell command ability works only for the unit that is charged? Or a unit wholly within 9" a charging unit but not engaged can unlash hell?

If enemy finishes charge move within 9 and you dont have other enemy within 3, you can unleash hell

Edited by ZLee Syn
  • Like 1

doesn't even need to be wholly within 9.  It's pretty flexible, but it costs a command point, needs a hero or unit champ available, and can only be used once per round.  That last bit in particular makes it easy to bypass if you have any sort of cheap fast chaff, particularly fast flying chaff.  Fell Bats in particular are good at this.

21 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

Looks like I am at an impasse then. I have the prince, a Vengorian lord, 15 bloodknights and 10 wolves ready to go and 445 point i do not know how to spend. I suppose that a big blob of zombies or skeletons is the savy choice but on the other hand I HATE BOTH ORDES AND PAESANTS.
Quite a conundrum indeed. I can hear voices  saying something on the line of "put in more bloodkniiiighs

I am attending a one day tournament on July 10th and will be running a Kastelai list similar to what you have listed.

-Prince V

-Vengorian Lord as the General with Rousing Commander and Fragment of the Keep

-Belladamma Volga 

-Blood Knights x5

-Blood Knights x5

-Blood Knights x5

-Dire Wolves x10

-Dire Wolves x10

-Zombies x20

-Skeletons x10

-1990 Points, possible bid for a Triumph (+1 to wound).

Dire Wolves to either be body guards for Belladamma or to be fast moving screens for the Blood Knights. I plan to be aggressive with Belladamma to support a unit or two of Blood Knights on one flank. Zombies are super cheap bodies to sit somewhere, be a screen or pop out of the grave if needed in the back lines. Skeletons I'm not in love with, I have 95 points available so it is either Skeletons and and come 10 points under and try for a Triumph or a unit of Fell Bats and be 20 points under or take the Burning Head, but I doubt I'd cast it much as the spells from my other wizards are all solid.

At first I wasn't a huge fan of the Vengorian Lord, but the more I look at him the more I like him. Provides a natural reduction in enemies rend. Then with Fragment of the Keep, all enemies within 6" are -1 To Wound with melee weapons. Plus the fact that he is a Hero and a Monster allows for a lot of play in 3.0. Finally his warscroll spell is great and his Command Ability can keep him and/or Prince V alive longer (assuming I can use the CA late game!).

I should also point out that this is a 2 Drop List (double Battle Regiments).

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 2

36 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

I am attending a one day tournament on July 10th and will be running a Kastelai list similar to what you have listed.

-Prince V

-Belladamma Volga 

-Blood Knights x5

-Blood Knights x5

-Blood Knights x5

-Dire Wolves x10

-Dire Wolves x10

-Zombies x20

-Skeletons x10

Dire Wolves to either be body guards for Belladamma or to be fast moving screens for the Blood Knights. I plan to be aggressive with Belladamma to support a unit or two of Blood Knights on one flank. Zombies are super cheap bodies to sit somewhere, be a screen or pop out of the grave if needed in the back lines. Skeletons I'm not in love with, I have 95 points available so it is either Skeletons and and come 10 points under and try for a Triumph or a unit of Fell Bats and be 20 points under or take the Burning Head, but I doubt I'd cast it much as the spells from my other wizards are all solid.

At first I wasn't a huge fan of the Vengorian Lord, but the more I look at him the more I like him. Provides a natural reduction in enemies rend. Then with Fragment of the Keep, all enemies within 6" are -1 To Wound with melee weapons. Plus the fact that he is a Hero and a Monster allows for a lot of play in 3.0. Finally his warscroll spell is great and his Command Ability can keep him and/or Prince V alive longer (assuming I can use the CA late game!).

I really like vengorian lords in Kastelai for the exact reasons you've stated. I think they have been a bit overlooked but especially in Kastelai I think they are a great piece that can both act as a buff debuff piece as well as be a sturdy monster with all the benefits of that in this edition

5 hours ago, BaylorCorvette said:

-Prince V

-Belladamma Volga 

-Blood Knights x5

-Blood Knights x5

-Blood Knights x5

-Dire Wolves x10

-Dire Wolves x10

-Zombies x20

-Skeletons x10

I gotta say man, I think this is the best list I’ve seen for AoS3 in general so far.  I would honestly go with the Fellbats and Burning Head over the Skeletons. I think the 10 man Skeleton squad just doesn’t have as much room to go somewhere that isn’t likely them just getting wiped or maybe speed bumping out of a grave.  Kastelai has the outflank option but Fellbats can go anywhere, they can double back to tag objectives really easily, generally out-chaff the chaff, and amongst the best of the now ubiquitous Unleash Hell counters for non-shooting armies (IMO).  The burning head might  do damage but zoning out areas and herding units around the table is one of the best uses for all endless spells in general, I think; especially for these faster cavalry forces, you do have good board and objective presence though so aiming for the Triumph at -20 points might actually be a good play.

Edited by Andalf
Grammar
  • Like 1

That's amazing! Torgillius is our cheapest Wizard now, in case a Necromancer tops out a lost by 5-10 points (which I had happen while list-building). 

The Vargskyr also has a nice profile for the points, imo, and the Blood-born are our first small Vampire infantry 🤯

Edited by AHexInScarletRed

OK, this is what has changed for us:

• Zombies units can in fact grow over their starting size (but not their maximum size, as per core rules).
  • You can no longer resurrect the same unit more than once with Endless Legions.
  • Avengorii monster mutations are now unique enhancements, so you can get extra mutations from core battalions.
  • Everyone (even unique characters) gets the number of spells you think they should: One by default, one more per enhancement. Unique characters can't take generic spells, though.
  • Nagash can no longer cast Mystic Shield multiple times, just Arcane Bolt.
  • Lauka Vai's command now needs line of sight.
  • The Vengorian Lord's command can only heal one unit, and it needs to have destroyed an enemy unit that turn.
  • Belladamma's Command now has an end condition (previously it just kept going, rules-as-written).
  • Kritza no longer multiplies upon death, you only get one Kritza at a time.
  • The Wight King command is now in the combat phase where it belongs (which makes it still bad because it can't stack with All-Out Attack).

I think this is the noteworthy stuff. The rest is just clarification to make things work like you thought they would, anyway.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2