Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

3 hours ago, lare2 said:

The FOMO in this hobby is nuts.

Maybe they just produced a handful to get the hypetrain rolling...

I hope it is a fun game, I have too much other stuff, that collects dust on the shelves so I resisted

Local game stores are getting copies as well.  I picked up the Indominus set by getting to the FLGS Saturday morning as they opened.  Now there was a real panic people seemed to have.

I’ll get a copy whenever that will be.  No rush since my in person options for gaming are a bit thin right now.  That and GW has me trained for them to be a month or two behind when trying to order something locally.

PS: Congrats Honk on hitting 2k posts.  You’re entitled to menatlly crash now.

Edited by Evil Bob
  • Haha 1

is no one else a bit miffed about skeletons and zombies not being updated for age of sigmar? Sure the sculpts are beautiful, and if you are only a PaintMeta player then no complaints. But I cant help but feel deflated about this army. 

Hope might just be the first step on the road to disappointment... 

GW have done quite a few books from pre book era warscrolls in 1st till now that took warscrolls and kept them as is or with very few changes. Especially ones where there weren't inherent problems. 

While skellies/zombies/vampires might not be exciting or amazing, they are stable enough. 

So IMO warscroll not changing is more likely than not with this rewrite, esp since we have seen that they were unwilling to do said rewrite/update for CC. 

Faction rules will change though, so maybe there is still hope for changing gameplay style but hoping the warscrolls change i think is folly.

I sometimes feel like there are only 2 people writing books for AoS, one is obviously an elf fan and the other doesnt really like aos, but neither of them actually play matched play 2000pts games... 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dracan said:

Hope might just be the first step on the road to disappointment... 

GW have done quite a few books from pre book era warscrolls in 1st till now that took warscrolls and kept them as is or with very few changes. Especially ones where there weren't inherent problems. 

While skellies/zombies/vampires might not be exciting or amazing, they are stable enough. 

So IMO warscroll not changing is more likely than not with this rewrite, esp since we have seen that they were unwilling to do said rewrite/update for CC. 

Faction rules will change though, so maybe there is still hope for changing gameplay style but hoping the warscrolls change i think is folly.

I sometimes feel like there are only 2 people writing books for AoS, one is obviously an elf fan and the other doesnt really like aos, but neither of them actually play matched play 2000pts games... 

For sure we know that faction rules are going to change and we don't know how the new battletome is going to treat subfactions, so depending on what they do here we might see major or minor changes on warscrolls.

It doesn't have to be something bad that the warscrolls remain unchanged, but how they work within the new rules.

4 hours ago, Dracan said:

Well, for one I‘m happy, that GW doesn’t overcharge the CC models. That would have been a new level of hate for the pay2win strategy.

Book and rule writing wise I‘m feeling more like one is an inspired unrestrained fanboy and the other is a narrative game DM, both are not interested in evenly matched play especially not at competitive level. 
And of course, their boss-lady is only interested in sales revenue, sooo the powerkreep is of course mandatory.

the faces, when I said, all my undead get a 6+ ward when an hero is near... my look when my buddy told me his nurgle has a 5+ ward inbuild... 🤪🥳👍

but I still have faith and hope that SBGL is a nice LoN 2.0, and I like the outlook for a small vampire lord buff to 7hp

As long as vampire lords have high strength and speed reflected in their rules I will be satisfied. Differing bloodline powers and upgrades would be icing on the cake, a la 5/6th edition Vampire Counts book. The soulblight vampires as they are now are kind of underwhelming; they have to be updated in the new tome, they just have to be haha. I think the Cursed City units will be substantially altered as well. Black stone Fortress and even 9 edition 40K box set rules prove this as a precedent. The necron rules for the Gauss Reaper and Canoptek Reanimator were completely changed in the month between that release and the codex. We shouldn’t be concerned with the rules of this box. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kaladreon said:

There have been many posts mentioning that this is likely a stop-gap before being updated in the actual battletome.

I havent seen anything official to indicate thats the case though 

19 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Personally, I feel like the fact that there is no GRAVELORDS keyword on any of the warscrolls is strong enough evidence that what we have are not Gravelords warscrolls.

And the biggest question that raises.... will we get Gravelord warscrolls for these models in the battletome? Or will they live in Legions of Nahash Limbo forever? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

And the biggest question that raises.... will we get Gravelord warscrolls for these models in the battletome? Or will they live in Legions of Nahash Limbo forever? 

Genuinely hard to say. If we don't get updated warscrolls, those models will have a very limited shelf life as far as AoS is concerned. Plus, eventual expansion characters are almost guaranteed to get the GRAVELORDS keyword. I would guess that these warscrolls will get at least a keyword update.

Since Radukar is on his own sprue, he might graduate to a stand alone release as well.

So, since the CC models now don't seem to translate to  new SGL units what do you think we will get in terms of actual new units? After all for example the Zombie Ogres don't seem like they will be their own thing but just part of that mega-warband. I would like to be wrong with this, because Zombie Ogres are dope! Hell, give me Zombies FROM OTHER RACES GW! Why is it all humans all the time? And why is it almost always peasants? I want to see Soldier Zombies in armour, Ork Zombies, Ogre Zombies, Elf Zombies etc. None of those would need special rules. Just make them part of the Deadwalker Zombie mob.

It would be sad if the new army would just be the LoN units (minus the ghosts) plus a few unique Vampire characters. Gosh I'm just too giddy to see some new death models that are true to the old style like the upcoming Wight King and those Blood Knights. I don't need wild new sculpts like the Bone Harvester etc. 

• Like 1

Strange thing is not all CC Units have AoS Warscrolls. The two units of bats and the rat swarm hasn't any warscroll yet. With the other Rat Vampire there will be some synergie/buff for the Rats in AoS. Why release a Rat Vampire Lord without Rats?

An other thing i realized is, that the necromancer doesn't have "Deathly Invocation" any more. Just Redukar has this. Even The Zombie and Skeleton Hero has not "Deathly Invocation".

The Vampires are compareable to Vargheist. 3 Attacks on 3/3/-1/2. 5+ save and 6+ Feel no Pain, Vampires got 6+ save and 5+ feel no pain. Vargheist have 12" move and fly. Vampires have 8" and can fly over terrain. both are not summonable

2 hours ago, Bademeister said:

the necromancer doesn't have "Deathly Invocation" any more.

But I do like his „resummon half of a destroyed unit“ ability... just rechecked... that‘s not very good, don‘t like at all. 
Right now we get the whole summonable unit as often as we can afford back.

But as stated above, those are residual stand in rules and no indication of what is to come... otherwise I‘d start to turn sour 😅

15 hours ago, Honk said:

But I do like his „resummon half of a destroyed unit“ ability... just rechecked... that‘s not very good, don‘t like at all. 
Right now we get the whole summonable unit as often as we can afford back.

But as stated above, those are residual stand in rules and no indication of what is to come... otherwise I‘d start to turn sour 😅

I believe we needed to be near gravesite to bring back units. The fact that Gorslav brings them back anywhere within 9 of him - outside 9 of enemy is infinitely better

Edited by Lich King

I think this comand ability is horrible and i hope be changed in soulbligth.

So spend 120\140 points in a hero that is useless(no mage,no aura,low damage) and spend one comand point(that are very needed in death armys)  to sumon as max 30 zombis(a unit of 60) that are 180 points.

So bring a useless 120\40 hero and spend one comand point for after be deleted,bring back 180 max of zombis

.........i prefer save my comand point and spend the points of the hero in 20 zombis that i gonna have in the table since the start.

To me he is 100% useless and i hope this dont be a preview of the tome 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Doko said:

I think this comand ability is horrible and i hope be changed in soulbligth.

So spend 120\140 points in a hero that is useless(no mage,no aura,low damage) and spend one comand point(that are very needed in death armys)  to sumon as max 30 zombis(a unit of 60) that are 180 points.

So bring a useless 120\40 hero and spend one comand point for after be deleted,bring back 180 max of zombis

.........i prefer save my comand point and spend the points of the hero in 20 zombis that i gonna have in the table since the start.

To me he is 100% useless and i hope this dont be a preview of the tome 

I was just talking about the ability of summoning which every army seems to have - LON still need to be near gravesites - so if that goes and we can summon like others then that’s good ( not that bringing him specifically is useful or worth points / command ability )