AoS 2 - Har Kuron (Broken Realms: Morathi) Discussion

Double Misfire

40 minutes ago, Vongolo said:

Okay it seems you can take daughters of khaine in the ususal 1 in 4... but you can only take darkling coven, ordo serpentis, scourge privateers  and shadowblades.

Priests get a prayer that makes hits roll of 6 count as 2.

Command ability remained the same.

Command trait:1) gain an extra wound and heal one at the hero phase

2) becomes a priest, if it is already can use the city prayer twice.

3) becomes a wizard, if they are already they  can cast an extra spell.

Relics: 1) pick a unit in 36, on 3-5 take a mortal wound, on 6 d3.

2) -1 to hit for shooting attacks that target units in 6 

3) after using a command ability on a 5+ gain a coomand point

Spells: keeps all the old spells, plu three new: 1) on 7+ a visible unit withing 12 gets +1 to wound rolls against it till your next hero phase.

2) 6+ casters can fly as if it has 16 movement

3) 7+ pick a visible unit within 18, roll 2d6 against their movement, for evry point higher they take a mortal wound.

This sounds, honestly, great.

Do we know if Beasthunters battalion is still in?

It opens some interesting choices, especially for using units that were usually overlooked in CoS. Say, Dark Riders. Much more attractive if their competition is gone.

And it looks like Misthavn is custom made for all those who started their human pirate anvilgard armies they wouldn't be able o use now ; )

You know what, I actually kinda hope we'll get more of such changes, especially cities without the full sub-faction rosters.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

So, fun thing I noticed, tactics/combo wise.

We all know that darkshards are great when it comes to effective range and volume of fire and few of the cities were great at making them even better in both. From what we know now, Har Kuron can buff them better than anything we had before.

Old things: Vitriolic spray (unreliable, a bit less so with +2 to cast, but turns them into a blender), command underlings (to give them around (30+deployment) threat range). 

What we lose: Hurricanum (for +1 to hit, not sure if there are other ways to compensate for it) and Azyros (for re-roll 1's. Substitute with a command point).

What we gain: WELL. Battalion bumps their 80 shots on a full unit to 120, if I understand correctly. And then there's the Withering, giving them +1 to wound. Yeah I kinda feel that +1 to hit we're missing out on doesn't seem all that great right now.

Not saying it's practical, but it certainly is fun.

• Like 1

I cant be too upset about the unit restrictions here because at least it was presumably a balance issue over riding a business decision but I admit if I could mix DoK in with my majority Wanderers army I would have bought Morathi in a heartbeat. 

I like the city though. Kind of feels like an "ooops we should have just put the dark elves and daughters together in the first place" but I still consider it a flavor win for anyone who wants to play dark elves.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vongolo said:

Okay it seems you can take daughters of khaine in the ususal 1 in 4... but you can only take darkling coven, ordo serpentis, scourge privateers  and shadowblades.

Ok so dont matter the rules,i cant play the city now,i played anvilguard with dwarfs and of dark elfs i only have 2 dragons and 20 darkshards

I hope i can ignore these two new citys as they are useless for my army and i can keep playing anvilguard as seems its playable yet

Edited by Doko
  • Confused 1

EDIT: OOPS USED OLD POINTS VALUES! please ignore this one but can't wait to get the dark elves out!

Rules only taken from a bunch of youtube videos I've seen, but to kick off the list building:

Cities of Sigmar: Har Kuron

Sorceress on Black Dragon - 300

Morathi - 480

10 Dreadspears - 90

30 Darkshards - 300

20 Blackguard - 260

30 Witch Aelves - 300

10 Shadow warriors - 110

Battalion: Kraith Shadow Host - 160

Total: 2000

Uses the new battalion to pump up the darkshard output, decent magic, DoK Morathi + witch elves, dreadspear screen/sacrifice, blackguard for reliable bodies

not sure how priest version of morathi works with CoS generals adjutant and retinue rules

Edited by Leemer

21 minutes ago, Leemer said:

not sure how priest version of morathi works with CoS generals adjutant and retinue rules

From what I heard Har Kuron doesn't get retinue and adjutants (and empowered spells, which hurts a bit). But I feel they make up for it with other rules.

31 minutes ago, Leemer said:

Rules only taken from a bunch of youtube videos I've seen, but to kick off the list building:

Cities of Sigmar: Har Kuron

Sorceress on Black Dragon - 300

Morathi - 480

10 Dreadspears - 90

30 Darkshards - 300

20 Blackguard - 260

30 Witch Aelves - 300

10 Shadow warriors - 110

Battalion: Kraith Shadow Host - 160

Total: 2000

Uses the new battalion to pump up the darkshard output, decent magic, DoK Morathi + witch elves, dreadspear screen/sacrifice, blackguard for reliable bodies

morathi is over 600 points now and both her forms start on the battlefield

6 minutes ago, stratigo said:

morathi is over 600 points now and both her forms start on the battlefield

Ah gotcha, yeah I was just using the points from the wrscroll builder. Looks like it might be difficult to lean into both the battalion and morathi angle effectively in 2k. 

55 minutes ago, Doko said:

Ok so dont matter the rules,i cant play the city now,i played anvilguard with dwarfs and of dark elfs i only have 2 dragons and 20 darkshards

I hope i can ignore these two new citys as they are useless for my army and i can keep playing anvilguard as seems its playable yet

From the GMG review you can still play old Anvilguard yes. Representing the army from a time before Anvilguard is destroyed or else a remaining loyalist faction.

47 minutes ago, dekay said:

From what I heard Har Kuron doesn't get retinue and adjutants (and empowered spells, which hurts a bit). But I feel they make up for it with other rules.

Yeah, forgot the mention they cant use the whole "ways of the free peoples" package.

1 hour ago, Izotzuhure said:

Silly question but does Morathi count as two models or one towards de 1 to 4? I imagine that they count as one as you buy them together, then you just deploy them separately. 

Darkshards with ritual and battalion is a lot of dakka... 

I imagine she'll only count as one since I don't believe they said anything different about her specifically there.

So now that we know the restrictions of Har Kuron what do you guys think will be some builds going forward with them? (I'm more asking because while I've dabbled in AoS, Har Kuron has been my tipping point.

26 minutes ago, MetaphoricDragon said:

I'm honestly not sure the city rules make up for also losing honored retinue, general's adjutant,  and the empowered endless spells

Losing the general's retinue and adjutant's only a hit if you were planning on taking a general on foot anyway, but I agree that empowered endless spells are CoS's biggest crutch, even if it is possible to play without them. I don't know enough about DoK to know if they and the new prayer are a adequate trade off, though I can imagine the temptation to run Morathi's new rules could be.

I suspect that Morathi will count as 2 DoK units given that she has two separate pitched battle profiles and two separate point costs. She's two different drops even though they must be taken together, much like any of the Underworlds warbands.

Sadly if this is the case then it will be tough to benefit from the city prayer and Morathi given that this would require 12 drops total with 2 of them costing 600 points!

From a competitive perspective I'd be surprised if Morathi is better in a Har Kuron shell than she is just playing DoK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, swarmofseals said:

I suspect that Morathi will count as 2 DoK units given that she has two separate pitched battle profiles and two separate point costs. She's two different drops even though they must be taken together, much like any of the Underworlds warbands.

She's only 1 entry in an army list. In a RAW kind of way this leads me to believe she'll just count as one. 

3 minutes ago, Mcprowlington said:

She's only 1 entry in an army list. In a RAW kind of way this leads me to believe she'll just count as one. 

RAW it's 1 in every 4 units in a Har Kuron army can be a Daughters of Khaine unit. Morathi, much like an underworlds warband  made up of a  small unit and separate hero is two separate units, on two separate warscrolls, you're just required to pay for them together, and take them together in matched play games.

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

RAW it's 1 in every 4 units in a Har Kuron army can be a Daughters of Khaine unit. Morathi, much like an underworlds warband  made up of a  small unit and separate hero is two separate units, on two separate warscrolls, you're just required to pay for them together, and take them together in matched play games.

They are just one entry not the same as the Underworlds warbands, 

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2020 at 2:19 PM, Aelfric said:

Yep, my three Bolt Throwers still languishing (plus various heroes) - and what to do with medium Morathi?

I use mine as Stormcast celestar ballistae. I love the models too much to stop using them. 

Not sure I’ll be able to use them with the new faction though... 😕

7E5E7449-242E-497A-B9D3-B32B9B87946A.jpeg

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Ravenborn said:

I use mine as Stormcast celestar ballistae. I love the models too much to stop using them. 

I've considered it, but I've never been able to convince myself  (lorewise) that my old Dark Elves and Stormcast see eye to eye.  I know that this is a bit of a hangover from the past, but it's made sense to me.  Now that Har Kuron has come along, though, we have Cities outside of Stormcast influence and it somehow feels more right now to allow Stormcast in when playing the old cities.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ravenborn said:

Those are some properly nice artillery pieces. 😍😍😍

And I have no idea what you'd use them as without Stormcast or Ironweld artillery. Har Kuron can still take CoS's usual allies, so Kurnoth Hunters with bows at a massive push...?