AoS 2 - Har Kuron (Broken Realms: Morathi) Discussion

Double Misfire

It wouldn't surprise me if Har Kuron is in Ulgu as well as Misthavn.  I think GW will bring in new cities one realm at a time.  It feels like both of them will owe their allegiance to Morathi rather than Sigmar, so 1 in 4 DoK are on the cards. Hopefully we might get a preview today or tomorrow.

Har Kuron likely takes inspiration from Har Ganeth and Kouran Darkhand from WHF. They will likely be the CoS + DoK faction.

There are two distinct ways Har Kuron can be introduced.  Either it's just some new city in Ulgu, or it's very possible this is a rebellion by the Blackscale coil (who are the (dark) Elves who secretly lead Anvilgard) against the Stormcast, and they are renaming the city in their honor (in the book the last story event is the fall of Anvilgard)

If it's the latter it'd mean we have a very cool conflict in the future.

1 hour ago, Lord of the Isle said:

Kouran was Captain of the Black Guard, from Naggarond. Tullaris of the Executioners poss the Har Ganeth guy you meant? Sorry to be pedantic, thrilled to see Kouran remembered in any form!!

No. I was referencing the two different parts of the name. Har Kaldra and Har Ganeth are Dark elf city names with Har being a reoccurring convention. Hence the "Har". The Kuran seems to be a very direct tribute to Kouran Darkhand in the same way Khailebron is very much a tribute to Hellebron.

Not a problem btw. I guess I didn't explain my thought process as well as I thought xD . As for remembering Kouran I'm a huge Dark elf fan and I adore the Blackguard & Malekith so it was the first thing that came to mind when I read the name.

I'm going to place my bet that Har Kuron is what Anvilguard becomes after the fall of the city. For rules, I am going to guess they get the ability to take 1 in 4 Daughters units and some kind of payoff for taking dragons and other monsters (on a recent Warhammer Weekly it was claimed that Har Kuron translates to Home of Monsters from the Dark Elf language).

If this is true, it remains to be seen what happens with the original Anvilguard rules. I don't think they will actually be obsoleted. Although if they are, it would probably not be too much of a loss.

• Like 1

It would be a slight loss for Soulbound, which is just bringing out really awesome rules for Anvilgard. But perhaps GMs could play through the Shadows in the Mist adventure then adapt the setting to resemble Har Kuron. Who knows, maybe the as yet unpublished bits of the adventure already subtly begin to do this!

I do feel that Anvilgard is currently the perfect Tortuga / Tatooine adventure setting, but perhaps swapping out Sigmar for Morathi-Khaine and gloomy Stormcast for scary Scathborn would only encourage this. Perhaps. I like the current balance of outward lawfulness and inner corruption though, and fear a Khainite transformation would have to wreck that.

Agreed the A o S rules would not be a huge loss!

• Sad 1

Broken Realms: Morathi's up for preorder in New Zeland, and it looks like Har Kuron's Anvilgard under Morathi - guessing we're gonna see 1 in 4 Stormcast units swapped out for Daughters of Khaine. Should be nice for old school Dark Elf fans, though not sure how applicable 'of Sigmar' is anymore...

- Two new sets of allegiance abilities for the Cities of Sigmar, representing the newly-annexed Anvilgard – now known as Har Kuron – and the shadowy domain of Misthåvn, each with their own abilities, artefacts, command traits, and more.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Broken-Realms-Morathi-EN-2020

4 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Broken Realms: Morathi's up for preorder in New Zeland, and it looks like Har Kuron's Anvilgard under Morathi - guessing we're gonna see 1 in 4 Stormcast units swapped out for Daughters of Khaine. Should be nice for old school Dark Elf fans, though not sure how applicable 'of Sigmar' is anymore...

- Two new sets of allegiance abilities for the Cities of Sigmar, representing the newly-annexed Anvilgard – now known as Har Kuron – and the shadowy domain of Misthåvn, each with their own abilities, artefacts, command traits, and more.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Broken-Realms-Morathi-EN-2020

So, all the old Dark Elf units back under one roof.  

In fairness Dark Elves survived the great purging rather well. DoK only split off two models from them whilst the rest remained in Cities of Sigmar; they are only fragmented by Gw's choice to keep them as such. A few leaders lost and the repeater bolt thrower; but by and large most of the old Dark Elf line is around - infantry; dragon; mage; cavalry etc... 

• Like 3

Just now, Overread said:

In fairness Dark Elves survived the great purging rather well. DoK only split off two models from them whilst the rest remained in Cities of Sigmar; they are only fragmented by Gw's choice to keep them as such. A few leaders lost and the repeater bolt thrower; but by and large most of the old Dark Elf line is around - infantry; dragon; mage; cavalry etc... 

Dang @Overread, are you me?!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

I mean minus Reaper Bolt Throwers and Dreadlords not riding dragons, sure 🤷‍♂️

(I'm not salty. Shades are even back in the form of that new Warcry warband)

Yep, my three Bolt Throwers still languishing (plus various heroes) - and what to do with medium Morathi?

1 minute ago, Aelfric said:

Yep, my three Bolt Throwers still languishing (plus various heroes) - and what to do with medium Morathi?

I'd say give them Stormcast crew and use them as particularly spiky Celestar Ballistas, but I'm not sure Morathi's gonna be keeping many Stormcast around... 😯

Morathi in a CoS army, casting empowered endless spells is gonna be pretty tasty. Can we get a Teclis controlled city soon? 🤔😇

Okay it seems you can take daughters of khaine in the ususal 1 in 4... but you can only take darkling coven, ordo serpentis, scourge privateers  and shadowblades.

Priests get a prayer that makes hits roll of 6 count as 2.

Command ability remained the same.

Command trait:1) gain an extra wound and heal one at the hero phase

2) becomes a priest, if it is already can use the city prayer twice.

3) becomes a wizard, if they are already they  can cast an extra spell.

Relics: 1) pick a unit in 36, on 3-5 take a mortal wound, on 6 d3.

2) -1 to hit for shooting attacks that target units in 6 

3) after using a command ability on a 5+ gain a coomand point

Spells: keeps all the old spells, plu three new: 1) on 7+ a visible unit withing 12 gets +1 to wound rolls against it till your next hero phase.

2) 6+ casters can fly as if it has 16 movement

3) 7+ pick a visible unit within 18, roll 2d6 against their movement, for evry point higher they take a mortal wound.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Doko said:

I hope only be a change in name and have the same old anvilguard traits etc,was funny the mount trait and if gonna have the same joke useless rules that the other city with drugs........

You should meet Icegoat, you'll get along splendidly. ;) We know literally 1/3rd of one rule from Misthavn, it's a BIT too early to complain (especially that one of those two drugs is actually good).

So, we can now safely assume Shadowhost is a Har Kuron battalion, right? There's a chance for a reasonable rules update for Anvilgard, too, no longer relying on a single spell and +d3 command points ; ).

If Stormcast are gone, that's not all that much of a worry, too, Anvilgard never had any reasonable stormcast synergies that, say Living City has. All in all, I feel it can only be a plus, unless they do something really, really weird with the rules.

And, yeah, as others mentioned, fun to see 90% of the Dark Elves of yore back in one place. Basically only foot/cavalry dreadlords, reaper, pegasus and manticore are gone now, but as there's some proxy potential for all of them, old players should be happy!