Aos 2 - Lumineth Realm-Lords Discussion

HollowHills

10 minutes ago, Athrawes said:

They were a night mare to balance for, and most were bad or redundant, or on the flip side simply way better than comparable artifacts in certain battletomes.

Older books may struggle for a little while without certain egregious ones, but the health of the game going forward will be much better without the bloat they added.

Agreed.  I'm glad they're simplifying the realms and the realm artifacts a bit.  I did actually use all those rules, but most of the opponents in my area weren't super familiar with them so it was kind of an advantage for me.  I'll be glad just to bring the reference card (from the warlord edition) and say, "Hey, here's everything about the realm of Death, let's play!"

Getting back to LRL, I'm super hyped for Zenith Temple.  I get excited thinking about what the aelves who ascend to that level would look like!

7 hours ago, Jaskier said:

No, it's the same as it is now. To select a realm artefact from Malign Sorcery in the current rules, you have to choose a realm for your army; i.e. if you want a Ghyran realm artefact like Ghyrstrike, your army has to hail from Ghyran. The change in the GHB is you have to pick the realm artefacts in the GHB instead of the Malign Sorcery ones (which is clearly a balance change to rein in some of the silly combos certain army books wouldn't otherwise have access to; this will make it easier to balance/price models like the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon when it won't have access to the Ethereal Amulet, as it's clearly worth its points cost with the amulet but not without it.) 

Except it stated that at the start of the game you roll off and the winner decides what realm your playing in.

41 minutes ago, Sleepers said:

Except it stated that at the start of the game you roll off and the winner decides what realm your playing in.

Re-read the page. The rules for playing in a realm are separate from the rules for choosing a realm for your army to hail from. Remember that artefacts are selected when you write your army list, whereas choosing a realm to play in is determined after determining what battleplan you are using.  

Edited by Jaskier

9 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

The novel will likely release when you actually can buy the Alarith models, as Stoneguard is at the center of the novel. It's not out yet. 

It's pretty funny that on the lore appropriate allies list in the new GHB, it's hard to ally with the Idoneth, but they are the only allies in our Battletome. I understand the mechanical difference, but it's still kind of funny. I'd would have been great if they had at least touched upon this in the Battletome (is there now Idoneth enclave in Hysh which thinks more positively of Teclis and the Lumineth?). But generally speaking, I'm looking really forward to those new option for multiplayer. 

In case of the Lumineth and the Deepkin I'm still wondering. Were the Idoneth Deepkin really a project on their own and Teclis started the Lumineth Realmlords after their retreat, or if the Idoneth Deepkin are basicly the Water-Aspect of the Lumineth Realmlords. The later would acutally make more sence. There was no mentioning in the battletome, wasn't it?

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

In case of the Lumineth and the Deepkin I'm still wondering. Were the Idoneth Deepkin really a project on their own and Teclis started the Lumineth Realmlords after their retreat, or if the Idoneth Deepkin are basicly the Water-Aspect of the Lumineth Realmlords. The later would acutally make more sence. There was no mentioning in the battletome, wasn't it?

Idoneth are not the Lumineth river aspect, that’s clear from the Battletome. It talks about how Lumineth  aelves become part of the River Tempel by submitting themselves to drowning (among other things), and if the river doesn’t accept them, they die. 

It is mentioned that the Idoneth were a project of their own. And they were so flawed that Teclis wanted to destroy them out of grief at first. After that Teclis and Tyrion improved on the process - and later the Lumineth were born, who were much better than the Idoneth, because at that point they had way more knowledge on how to syphon the souls so that they stay physically and mentally intact (this Battletome is pretty harsh on the Idoneth). 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, LuminethMage said:

Idoneth are not the Lumineth river aspect, that’s clear from the Battletome. It talks about how Lumineth  aelves become part of the River Tempel by submitting themselves to drowning (among other things), and if the river doesn’t accept them, they die. 

It is mentioned that the Idoneth were a project of their own. And they were so flawed that Teclis wanted to destroy them out of grief at first. After that Teclis and Tyrion improved on the process - and later the Lumineth were born, who were much better than the Idoneth, because at that point they had way more knowledge on how to syphon the souls so that they stay physically and mentally intact (this Battletome is pretty harsh on the Idoneth). 

Then I have interpreted to much into that part of the Idoneth Battletome:

The new aelves were not adjusting well. They were withdrawn, and grew resentful under Teclis' tutelage. The Cythai fought amongst themselves and split into factions. ...

I mean the "split into factions" could have been the splitting into the elementary Aspects.

I will most likely get the box with my Battletome today, so I have the chance to work my way through the Background.

2 hours ago, Jaskier said:

Re-read the page. The rules for playing in a realm are separate from the rules for choosing a realm for your army to hail from. Remember that artefacts are selected when you write your army list, whereas choosing a realm to play in is determined after determining what battleplan you are using.  

But then it means that actual malign sorceries artifact will disappear. Otherwise it  doesn't make sense!

3 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Then I have interpreted to much into that part of the Idoneth Battletome:

I mean the "split into factions" could have been the splitting into the elementary Aspects.

I will most likely get the box with my Battletome today, so I have the chance to work my way through the Background.

Like Tiger mentions the Aelementiri aspect comes in much later. And it also doesn’t really split the Lumineth. The sects are part of the same way to enlightenment. And not all Lumineth are part of these sects. You’ll see when you have the Battletome. 

Edited by LuminethMage

17 minutes ago, Maturin said:

But then it means that actual malign sorceries artifact will disappear. Otherwise it  doesn't make sense!

They won't be playable in Matched Play anymore. In Open and Narrative Play the Malign Sorceries Artefacts are still usable.

9 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

They won't be playable in Matched Play anymore. In Open and Narrative Play the Malign Sorceries Artefacts are still usable.

This is more than a letdown. I really enjoyed tailoring my army lists with different artifacts. Some stormcast battalions/list who were subpar were made incredibly fun to me and challenging to my opponent, just because of artifacts.

The disappoint is strong in me

Edited by Maturin

I honestly think it speaks more to bad battletome design when generic RelicTM  is the best choice for your army over anything in your own book.  I am sad that my Akhelian King will no longer have his 3+ unrendable save, but I guess I can find some new relics to use from the battletome.

Back on topic, I have to say that I love how they didn't skip out on talking about the Element temples. it rubs a little salt in the wound that we don't have the models, but I love the little excerpts we got, and we would have a lot less info on the society as a whole...

Which considering how little we know of society for the Lumineth it is saying something.

Yeah I also really like the little Element Tempel teases.
Hey at least we know that the Vanari are a Citizen Militia! 😁 If I got that right - I don't have the Tome to confirm.

Kinda offtopic: considering the Warhammer Community Article "Beyond the Box" released on 19th of June --> GW talked about the full release being "later this year". This makes me think that we will get the Rest of the Lumineth in early September, but what do you all think?

Just now, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Yeah I also really like the little Element Tempel teases.
Hey at least we know that the Vanari are a Citizen Militia! 😁 If I got that right - I don't have the Tome to confirm.

Kinda offtopic: considering the Warhammer Community Article "Beyond the Box" released on 19th of June --> GW talked about the full release being "later this year". This makes me think that we will get the Rest of the Lumineth in early September, but what do you all think?

I think I really jumped the gun thinking I'd get my armies on parade board done by this year....

I just want a little more info to satisfy some world building needs. For Example, are the nations run by the spiritual leaders of temples? is the majority of the government within each nation a City State where each city controls their land? Is the society Feudal? or is there freedom of movement and social mobility?

Yea indeed I feel your pain. Because this are such basic cornerstones of how we expect a Nation to function. I would be disappointed if such details where left out in the Battletome, but it seems that we would nee to wait for the Black Library "Realmlords" Novel to gain some more context. :(
I dont want to sound overly nitpicking - but when I thought up Fantasy Stories as a 15year old I made up my mind about such structures. 😅

37 minutes ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Yea indeed I feel your pain. Because this are such basic cornerstones of how we expect a Nation to function. I would be disappointed if such details where left out in the Battletome, but it seems that we would nee to wait for the Black Library "Realmlords" Novel to gain some more context. :(
I dont want to sound overly nitpicking - but when I thought up Fantasy Stories as a 15year old I made up my mind about such structures. 😅

I just hope the bloody author reads the battletome before he wrote that book. I don’t want it to end up like court of the blind king, where the entirety of the novel fails to realize the Whole premise of a game of thrones style court intrigue plot doesn’t make sense because A.) each enclave is run by a council of ishraan and B.) the title of King isn’t hereditary or even a formal part of the government. It’s literally just what they call the general of a phalanx. There can be multiple Kings in one idoneth enclave, and the fact that the entire book treats the title of king like we do makes it possibly one of the worst AoS books out there.

but yea back on topic, I still wish we had more insight into society outside the temples. What is your guy’s favorite faction so far fluff wise?

Yes I heard about the Court of the Blind King fiasco and it is making me anxious. :/
So far Zaitrec is my favorite. I always liked the Moon Conncetion as an Elven Fantasy Trope and the fact that they are overly fascinated by magic and like to research stuff is just so fitting for Hysh and a People who have something other/better to do, than to wage war. :) It is also nice that the Zaitrec-Realmlords seem so fascinated with the magic that it is bordering on naivety - and oddly I can relate haha :D

Also - quite a nice Paint Scheme!

Edited by Aloth_Corfiser
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Acid_Nine said:

I think I really jumped the gun thinking I'd get my armies on parade board done by this year....

I just want a little more info to satisfy some world building needs. For Example, are the nations run by the spiritual leaders of temples? is the majority of the government within each nation a City State where each city controls their land? Is the society Feudal? or is there freedom of movement and social mobility?

We know that Iliatha is a matriarchy, with mothers that have successfully raised a new generation ranking the highest. 
We also know from the Syar entry that their capital is called Ar-Ennascath, which implies that there is some form of centralized government. 

EDIT: Speaking of Iliatha, I also gave Iliathas Coat of Arms a try:

Spoiler

Iliatha3.png.c85342c4d63cdf21d0b27eb30b9f8ca9.png

The sun and the droplets of blood represent their belief that knowledge and enlightenment grows, not by individual feats, but by raising each new generation in a way that they can grow and surpass their fore bearers. While the split in the middle represents the iliathans fascination with twins. 

Edited by Gecktron
  • Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 3

55 minutes ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Yes I heard about the Court of the Blind King fiasco and it is making me anxious. :/
So far Zaitrec is my favorite. I always liked the Moon Conncetion as an Elven Fantasy Trope and the fact that they are overly fascinated by magic and like to research stuff is just so fitting for Hysh and a People who have something other/better to do, than to wage war. :) It is also nice that the Zaitrec-Realmlords seem so fascinated with the magic that it is bordering on naivety - and oddly I can relate haha :D

Also - quite a nice Paint Scheme!

yea you hit why I love that faction on the head. I can also see them being the "Nicest" lumineth you can meet as long as you are a wizard or wizard-adjacent. They may treat you like an idiot or a child, but they will at least see what kind of magic you can do and be interested in it while treating you like a toddler. 

Also, I must say that it is pretty amusing that our faction has a noble goal (cleanse land with burning light and stop allowing chaos to punch holes in things) but we do not do it so nicely, or really with permission. I guess the Lumineth are so smart that they think everyone can logically think through what they are doing, but forget that not everyone has the same train of thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gecktron said:

Im already working on it! Zaitrec has a lot of usable symbolism, Syar on the other hand not so much. I really have to think about how to represent them. 

I'd probably go with a crossed hammer and tongs to represent their being master craftsman.

This is my alternative Zaitrec paint scheme. I didn't think the official one really suited their background so I did this one to really emphasize the "Moon Magic" aspect to them. Do in all contrast plus Leadbealcher and Retributer Gold. 

hsbmtiguqs751.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Like 9

I think I may be going for an Alarith build backed up by Sentinels, which will mean Ymetrica to get my battleline.  I was commited to this army the moment I saw the Stonemage.  I'll also want at least one mountain spirit and I love the Stoneguard models, so it makes sense to go all in.

I quite like the Sanctum of Amyntok.  Unlike the Balewind, it doesn't stop you moving and the idea of having my Stonemage inside serenely floating up to the front with their increased bubble range for the troops seems like it's worth giving a go for 30 points.   With a Mountain alongside they'd be -2 to hit with a 4+ save and the Mountain's gift gives more survivability.