Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

Received my job lot of Dark Elves yesterday. Now I've got to decide how to build them, starting with the basic Warriors.

My feeling is that Bleakswords aren't worth it compared to Dreadspears in TOW (which is great as spears look more like proper weapons of war than one handed swords). The question is how many Darkshards did I build out of my 60 warriors, and his many Dreadspears?

4 hours ago, JerekKruger said:

Received my job lot of Dark Elves yesterday. Now I've got to decide how to build them, starting with the basic Warriors.

My feeling is that Bleakswords aren't worth it compared to Dreadspears in TOW (which is great as spears look more like proper weapons of war than one handed swords). The question is how many Darkshards did I build out of my 60 warriors, and his many Dreadspears?

I would do 20 spears and 20 crossbows for sure. 

Not sure for the other 20. I don't see more than 20 crossbows being useful due to space on the tabletop and I'll rather use the points of a 2nd unit of spears on other combat units. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Not quit yet finished but at least this was my progress for last night8020F747-EBA8-49FF-9A3F-F62B6EA5A61F.jpeg.1593637b10617d03b1c2452b1e7581a1.jpeg

hopefully I’ll finish them today, kunda need them ready for tomorrows 500point path to glory campaign game

Are those the new AoS Ard Boys?
Looking good there all ranked up. 

5 hours ago, Luperci said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/22/total-war-warhammer-3-reinforcements-arrive-en-masse/

Disappointing, hopefully after all the launch factions get their day in the sun we'll see some kislev and Cathay 

Screenshot_20240222-172618.png

Pretty sure that’s the opposite of what they’ve claimed at the beginning (at least for Kislev)

Edited by JackStreicher
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, JackStreicher said:

Pretty sure that’s the opposite what of what they’ve claimed at the beginning (at least for Kislev)

Yeah, uploading posts about TOW showing Kislev stuff and now saying that is quite... contradictory, but it would fit with the theory that they changed the direction midway through development and their initial plan was Kislev, Three Emperors for Empire, and Bretonia (5 human factions).

• Like 2

Well that's disappointing about no Kislev and Cathay, I guess it saves me some money as doubt I would have been able to resist buying a Cathay army.

As has been sait it is really weird, as both seemed to be part of the OW marketing at the beginning and both seem to have a fair amount of attention in the core book, in fact the same as the "main armies". Also as far as I have seen OW is selling well, would have thought that they would want to be ambitious with it given that. Hopefully "forseeable future" just means the next few years and maybe both are going to be the headliners (like the TK and Brets now) for a second edition....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Goatforce said:

Well that's disappointing about no Kislev and Cathay, I guess it saves me some money as doubt I would have been able to resist buying a Cathay army.

They were clearly intended at some point, we were told as much outright for Kislev in early development articles, and both feature heavily in the lore sections of the big rulebook, at least as much so as the currently supported factions.  Long term, if the game doesn't fail* then I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one or both factions being released some time in the future.

* Launch sales were clearly above expectations, but there aren't really any factions that are easy to collect right now, even bretts & tomb kings have several key units that haven't even been re-released yet.  Insufficient supply could easily drain the interest out of the game before they're able to solve the availability issue.  Honestly, GW's best friend right now for Old World is 3rd party proxies and 3d printers, because they can at least get people playing games and keep the community growing and attracting new players while GW catches up.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 2:07 AM, JerekKruger said:

I used to run my infantry 6 wide and units of 18. Not sure whether that still works now or not?

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 4:28 PM, Ejecutor said:

He is from Mordheim. Yes. He came with a Whitedwarf magazine. It is called Aenur, Sword of Twilight.

Probably the best white dwarf gift ever. I absolutely love that mini, and the lore that came with him. 

The Kislev and Cathay situation is very disappointing. I'd love to know what happened. The rules seem to be pretty good, and the books they've put out are solid to the extent that I hope AoS follows the same format, but everything else has been quite badly handled. 

It's disappointing for Kislev and Cathay fans, but for whatever reason, I totally expected this outcome. Yes, both armies were presented in TOW articles, but just as lore blurb (hey look, ice witches weapons are made of ice, and they have bears) or some form to build hype for Total Warhammer 3, or just to show the collaboration going on between both companies.

Btw, that doesn't mean that Kislev & Cathay will never be released, it means that GW has already some projects to work for TOW, and both armies are not part of this projects.

32 minutes ago, Beliman said:

Yes, both armies were presented in TOW articles, but just as lore blurb (hey look, ice witches weapons are made of ice, and they have bears) or some form to build hype for Total Warhammer 3, or just to show the collaboration going on between both companies.

I'd have to dig out the precise articles to give you links but no, it was a bit more specific than that

EDIT: there you go https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/02/18/grand-cathay-is-mapped-for-the-first-time-in-warhammer-the-old-world/GG-hdVxWAAAmjj6.jpeg.963aec3a04d887454e6f17c43db5752a.jpeg

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

28 minutes ago, Beliman said:

It's disappointing for Kislev and Cathay fans, but for whatever reason, I totally expected this outcome. Yes, both armies were presented in TOW articles, but just as lore blurb (hey look, ice witches weapons are made of ice, and they have bears) or some form to build hype for Total Warhammer 3, or just to show the collaboration going on between both companies.

Btw, that doesn't mean that Kislev & Cathay will never be released, it means that GW has already some projects to work for TOW, and both armies are not part of this projects.

They deliberately reclyced TTW3 artworks for TOW. For the first 2 years and an half after the announcement they published only maps.

They probably start working on the project in June 2022 when Hastings reported the rumours about Bretonnia and Tomb kings kits back in production for " fancy painting for the new book".

Don't expect more than the 9 focused factions and Middlearth style support.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marcvs said:

I'd have to dig out the precise articles to give you links but no, it was a bit more specific than that
GG-hdVxWAAAmjj6.jpeg.963aec3a04d887454e6f17c43db5752a.jpeg

Wow, didn't remember that, thanks for the answer. Knowing this part, I would say that at least Cathay was part of the project's long term pipeline but at some point, it that was pushed back. Sad outcome

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 3