Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

I think there's new versions of everything there, at least on the Bretonnian side. It can be a pretty nice way to get an alternative sculpt though.

I'll probably pick up a few of them, they do look pretty nice still, and may as well have some fun doing some older stuff.

• Like 1

Next week on Warhammer Community, we will have a new miniature to reveal for Necromunda, more Dawnbringer fiction, and a breakdown of Warhammer Age of Sigmar competitive play at the Las Vegas Open.

Not a single word on the legacy pdfs. Or they get shadow-dropped during the week, or sadly I'm right and we'll have to wait until february.

Both TKs and Liche Priests for me. Those Tomb Kings have aged incredibly well. Maybe the damsels too, always thought they were lovely sculpts. Thankfully it's a MTO, so no worries about selling out.

Edited by Sathrut

59 minutes ago, Garrac said:

Not a single word on the legacy pdfs. Or they get shadow-dropped during the week, or sadly I'm right and we'll have to wait until february.

Rob from Square Based mentioned they should be coming out Monday, but we'll have to see.

I don't know where he has that information from, but we don't exactly have to wait very long to see if it's correct.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Rob from Square Based mentioned they should be coming out Monday, but we'll have to see.

I don't know where he has that information from, but we don't exactly have to wait very long to see if it's correct.

Who the h... who is... HOW MANY WARHAMMER LEAKERS ARE THERE?????

49 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

He might've just heard it at the Open Day, not sure. It's Honest Wargamer's WFB channel.

I think he does hear stuff from people but I imagine it was from the open day. Plus I suspect that GW are a bit surprised about how popular the open day was so we might see a lot more stuff sooner or with better support

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

He might've just heard it at the Open Day, not sure. It's Honest Wargamer's WFB channel.

The Square Based Youtube channel is great. I'd highly recommend it to folks interested in all things ToW. The army breakdowns Rob has done are genuinely the best I have come across so far. The Square Based Podcast with Val are entertaining, informative and open with some super spicy interpretive dance! lol 

https://www.youtube.com/@SquareBasedOldWorld

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I think he does hear stuff from people but I imagine it was from the open day. Plus I suspect that GW are a bit surprised about how popular the open day was so we might see a lot more stuff sooner or with better support

this is my biggest hope, that after the success ( at least the first wave) gw spent a higher amount of money on oldworld so they can do more and faster things.

and i still dream about gw doing an article saying that post about legacy armyes being squatted was a missformation, and every fantasy faction will get his turn in the future, even if some of them have to wait severals years.

• Haha 1

I just do not get the uproar regarding factions being "squatted" (which is completely the wrong term.) I assume these folk haven't read the Arcane Jounrals yet. They are 50 page 'booklets' that add a little flavour and a few options, but that's about it.

For all intents and purposes the "Legacy" factions are in a better spot than the Core factions! They are getting free rules and most of them have entire ranges of updated new models which are for sale today! Like... it just seems mad to me that people are screaming "my faction has been set on fire" when you can literally play the armies, you can buy the armies and you are getting rules for the armies AND they have models you can buy NOW and are updated sculpts. Unless you only attend and play in offical GW tournments it really doesn't make any kind of difference. 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I noticed that the 'classic' Dwarfs and Dark Elfs are sold out in the Cities of Sigmar range, alongside basically every Beastmen unit.

I want to believe this is people buying minis to use in TOW , rather than basic GW supply issues.

This has been the case for a long time. Stocks are coming and going with a big part of the ranges being out of stock lately.

• Like 2

Just now, Ejecutor said:

This has been the case for a long time. Stocks are coming and going with a big part of the ranges being out of stock lately.

Aw, that's a disappointment. My hope has been that if suddenly models usable in TOW keep selling like hotcakes (including legacy armies), GW would at least make MTOs to Dark Elves, Vampire Counts and other legacy factions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

I want to believe this is people buying minis to use in TOW , rather than basic GW supply issues.

A lot of the Beastmen kits have sold out with the release of ToW, many were avalible before the ToW dropped. 

(Same with the CoS Dwarf Kits) 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

3 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Aw, that's a disappointment. My hope has been that if suddenly models usable in TOW keep selling like hotcakes (including legacy armies), GW would at least make MTOs to Dark Elves, Vampire Counts and other legacy factions.

I think GW won't miss the chance to release some MTO from the legacy factions. Maybe not with a range as big as the main ones, but IMO we would see some classic metal minis from the legacy armies.

Spent the day digging out out models and prepping some new ones. Got so many ideas for armies! 

Once the night goblins are done I'll have my dark elves ready to go. Army will be made up from all current models. 

Also have some chaos warriors which need to be stripped and repaired. These will be made up from models from 4th to 8th edition. 

IMG_20240121_222051.jpg

IMG_20230528_201145.jpg

IMG_20230519_024228.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

3 hours ago, Ogregut said:

Spent the day digging out out models and prepping some new ones. Got so many ideas for armies! 

Once the night goblins are done I'll have my dark elves ready to go. Army will be made up from all current models. 

Also have some chaos warriors which need to be stripped and repaired. These will be made up from models from 4th to 8th edition. 

IMG_20240121_222051.jpg

IMG_20230528_201145.jpg

IMG_20230519_024228.jpg

My neglectabled CoS Dark Elves are waiting to be unleashed as well. Same for my Vampires (now with BLOOdKIGhTs that look cool) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beliman said:

They look awesome @Ogregut!

Thank you! 

41 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

My neglectabled CoS Dark Elves are waiting to be unleashed as well. Same for my Vampires (now with BLOOdKIGhTs that look cool) 

This release really has got my creative juice flowing. So many armies, so little time and money!! 

• Like 2

I think I've settled on a 1k starter list for tomb kings, sticking to the generic ravening hordes list for now, and focusing on classic, iconic, faction-defining units.  Goal is a TK army that you look at & say 'yup classic tomb kings', even if they're rising up out of the snows instead of the sands.

Tomb Prince, Great Weapon, Armor of Silvered Steel (i prefer flail to great weapon, but that's the model I have)

Tomb Herald, Shield, BSB

Mortuary Priest, Level 2, Necromancy

32 Skeleton Warriors with Spears, Shields, light armor, Nehekharan Phalanx, full command.  All characters go here making a big 7x5 block to anchor the army.

15 Skeleton Skirmishers with bows and Ambush.  Gotta have some archers, & the ability to skirmish them is cool.  Probably won't ambush them often, but the option is neat.

Casket of Souls, cus you gotta

Screaming Smull Catapult.  No skulls of the foe, sadly.  too many points in rare with the casket at 1k.

- Either -

3 Skeleton Chariots with full command

- Or -

3 Ushabti with either warscythes or greatbows, but no command

Total comes to exactly 1,000 points regardless of chariots vs. Ushabti.

I'm not really committed to one or the other there, as both units are pretty iconic.  The chariots maybe more so, but the ushabti are better models.  I can replace the chariot drivers with 7e VC skittles, but am kind of stuck on the horses, since GW store legality is a concern.

I don't really need to choose between chariots & ushabti (or between bowshabti & bladeshabti).  I'll assemble & paint all 3 options & try them each out.  After all, 1k is just a target on the way to 2k+.

Now I just need my 3rd party bases & unit trays to arrive so I can start rebasing & assembly.

• Like 1

I'm literally planning to primarily play the free pdf armies as I need to save up for any non free stuff I might want, and its all out of stock anyway. I'll be playing Chaos Dwarfs and Vampire counts, and those unbuilt Skaven in the cupboard will go on square bases.

People are very worried about "ongoing support" for a game with optional short codices, which don't actually change the compendium lists. Don't look at AoS or 40k and assume there will be exponential power creep, so far it looks as though it will be supported much more like LOTR so I don't see anyone's rules getting left behind.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

At the risk of repeating myself, that "Hastings" guy from WoS is either completely out of the loop (as he is consistently wrong this days) or an impersonator of the old Warseer Hastings. 

Anyway, do not trust his rumors. 

Yea, doesn't feel like its the same guy, he is also quit negative and pessimistic most of the time. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2024 at 12:24 AM, Noserenda said:

Meanwhile, from extensive sales experience I can tell you first hand the human Warhammer armies were never top sellers, certainly in the 00's, Empire was kinda mid table and Bret's were bottom, in fact I'd be surprised if my shop ever sold any.

Another anecdotal data point: back in the early 2000s, at my local GW store (Leicester) there were people playing pretty much every faction (even a masochistic Dark Elf player when they were truly terrible) except Empire. Bretonnia probably got a boost from being a new release around that time with, at the time, arguably the best plastic sculpts yet (though I never personally liked them)

On 1/21/2024 at 12:24 AM, Noserenda said:

Well. Except Titanicus, the best game SGS makes :D

Agreed. It's genuinely an excellent game. Shane it's not more popular, though it does have a decent community.