Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

16 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

Dwarfs

• Plastic - Slayers. They're the only infantry unit which didn't receive a plastic kit (except Rangers) and presumably the CAD exists due to the Dragon Slayer releasing with 8th. They have however shown a photo with the old metals, repainted at that, so maybe this is just a fool's hope (or they're deliberately being sheepish about revealing them yet).

• Plastic - Anvil of Doom. Thorek Ironbrow's model was ancient and it's never had a 'generic' version in model form. The Dwarfs have never done big centrepieces and I think this would serve as an appropriate middle ground. 

• Resin - Dwarf Lord with Shieldbearers. I could possibly see this being plastic instead of the Anvil of Doom, but ultimately, it is just two dudes holding aloft a third one. The other metal/Finecrap Lords were otherwise pretty modern sculpts and have aged fairly well, plus we've already seen several of them used for TOW photographs. The Shieldbearer is a very iconic Warhammer Dwarf thing, so I'm 100% convinced we'll see a new one in some form.

• Resin - Ranger/Hero. The Engineers and Runesmiths may be getting their old sculpts reused and we know from the Grand Army of Bretonnia that they've come up with new Lords and Heroes. A Ranger Hero (or even Lord) seems like an obvious new inclusion that would justify a model to boot.

• Resin - Named female Queen. Call it a hunch. 

i would vote for:

centerpiece: runelord/warden king on throne of power and we can build on foot the other version not mounted

resin heroes: 

-king with shieldbearers

-standard 

plastic kit: the rangers

i dont think we get slayers due to fyreslayers(because many persons would use these slayers as fyreslayers in aos and i guess these of fantasy gonna be WAY  lower in price). i have 4k of fyreslayers so i dont mind as i gonna use them as slayers here

• Confused 1

Sooo wishlisting for my factions in the 9 supported armies, working on a caveat that everyone gets a BSB and resin releases are so random ill only mention ones i have an interesting idea for.

Dwarves

Unit: Slayers! For the obvious reasons above really, theyve never made more than a couple of characters in plastic, they are an iconic difference in the Old world and always popular, especially if we get a Karadin/Slayer list too. License to print money.

Centrepiece: The cancelled tank model, run it as a rare or a character mount for engineers? Dwarves always suffered from not liking monsters and all their big models being super rare or unique. Just bring in the ringer :)

Side bits:
A new Anvil of doom would indeed be great, id look at a BSB on oathstone to change things up a bit.

Empire 

Unit: Knights! Core to the faction and fugly as hell. Hopefully we dodge the TKls curse and replace these :D You could include some Reiksguard/White wolf/Sons of Manaan bits for each side in the civil war maybe? Id love panthers and Blazing suns too but only so much frame! 

Centrepiece: Wizard on Pegasus, maybe dual kit in a Hero too but honestly either kinda works, you still have a Solid Griffon model thats the iconic monster of the faction.

Side bits: Definitely hedge wizards, do some super characterful resin characters. Consider a priest of Ulric and/or Manaan for civil war purposes, do a MTO run of the Cult of Ulric range and laugh all the way to the bank.

Wood elves

Unit: Wardancers! The metals were always great but you can do so much more with plastic and a bigger base, gonna do some FLIPS ;)

Centrepiece: Forest dragon would be the obvious choice, definitely a lord like the OG metal one but consider a wizard? I did one with a stag skull mask and she was awesome. Possibly the twins? I have no idea when they were born.

Side bits: Tough soil for resin as the old metals were such great sculpts outside of the obligatory banner. 

Warriors of Chaos

Unit: Go real subversive and update the Marauders, itll be hilarious. Otherwise they have great coverage really.

Centrepiece: So many cool monsters! Ultimately you could do so much cool stuff with a plastic Chaos Dragon though and dual kit the possessed one and a ridden version.

I have thoughts for half the sidelined forces too but they are sadly years away.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

Another leak from the guy who has a source inside GW. He just said, as a guest on another channel, that he already knows the price of the box and that we would be positively surprised by the price that "we think it would have" (250 €).

Source (in Spanish):

I do hope he's right about this but wrong about the Feb 14th release

I would like to see some of the few things from the canceled Battle for Skullpass supplement. The dwarf command set (that was released a few months later) was awesome and I hope to see this kit again:

DWARF_COMMAND_SET_ml.png

And talking about that supplement and big centerpiece models, if it's true that the Thunderbarge was already completed but never released, it would be a good time to launch that kit:

6TalhHs.png

Btw, the Grand Army of Bretonnia had a "Mercenary" and "Allies".image.png.d7c2321e257293d4c7389449db2499a4.png

Not sure if that means that we will see the old Regiments of Renown or mercenary kits. If that's the case, Long Drong and the Goblin Hewer seems awesome for dwarf lovers:

d0501f2d51e2cc06e1bee297e7153c6e.jpg

Goblin-hewer_M01.jpg

Appart from all this returning kits, I'm not sure if Dwarfs need a completely new unit (appart from the Thunderbarge). Maybe that Shard Dragon? Or that Golem-thing?

image.png.368f6aab4206ba355e4a364f5e17ca4f.png

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, onemanarmy said:

I do hope he's right about this but wrong about the Feb 14th release

On the same stream, he said the 6th of Jan. Wich is the same Elarin told us.

I guess that's more official and the 14th of Feb not so confirmed.

Edited by Ejecutor

RE: mercs, the regiments of renown probably run into the same issue as special characters in other ranges, namely that many of them post-date the period TOW is set in.

Not all, I think the Alcatani Fellowship for example might have lasted longer, but otherwise I suspect they’ll keep to generic units, like this ‘Border Princes Bombard’.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ejecutor said:

On the same stream, he said the 6th of Jan. Wich is the same Elarin told us.

I guess that's more official and the 14th of Feb not so confirmed.

They both said pre order in 6th but Spanish vid said 14th Feb release . Elarin said 20th Jan release which I really hope is true. Can't wait much longer lol

• Haha 1

Ah man if they rerelease all the old dwarf stuff, that would be awesome. Can't wait for the book to come out see what profiles they release for each army and get the proper bases.

Unless I'm wrong the 30x60 of the bretonnians cav is smaller than the ones of the new CoS cavalry no? They seem like they are larger and we won't be able to be easily adapted to movement plates. 

I’m really curious to see how TOW will do once released. I can’t get a clear idea on how many people are interested or not. 
for me, I’ll be happy to get the opportunity to get some high elf kits I never got and to get one or two new heroes. I’ve got no idea which unit could be added to the high elf line. A resculpt of the basic troops would be best, but since neither Brets or TK got that I fear it won’t happen for other armies.

• Thanks 1

My wishlist:

• O&G: Plastic Wyvern + couple resin character, if I remember correctly the rest of the range is pretty solid. Some Ironjawz mini's would also work nice as characters.
  • Dwarfen Mountain Holds: Plastic slayers and maybe a big centerpiece like @Beliman suggested.
  • High Elves. My biggest wish is new plastic spearmen/archers, new Silverhelms, multipart seaguard / swordmasters and as new centerpiece a new dragon or griffon. Silverhelms that look like the artwork! :-D.
  • WoC: New plastic marauders on foot and mounted. Lots of resin characters and as big centerpiece a plastic Chaos dragon 😄.
  • Empire of Man. Plastic knights with resin upgrade sets for different knightly orders. A plastic pegasus kit with multipart character. Resin characters. I wouldn't mind a new griffon, but I guess we are stuck with the big chicken.
  • Wood Elves: Plastic forest dragon, plastic great eagle with multipart character.

For Empire and most of the other armies they should provide resin upgrade kits like they did/do with 30K.

Edited by Tonhel

In terms of interest, at my store me and a buddy have been building a community for it. We've been lending out our armies to aos folk who never played fantasy but were interested cause they got the models and older gamers who haven't played in years. We've been playing 4th-8th in anticipation the last 8~ months. All told we've got about 8-10 people and a good mix of armies ready for day 1 games even Chaos Dwarfs (me :D). About half are getting the new army boxes, mostly the new players and me. Rest just the books.

• Like 4

I don't expect remakes of non-hero models. So far the only released new plastic minis are heroes on flying monsters and new units (Foot Knights). So for example I can see new plastic Wyvern for Orcs, but no remade Boyz. If the Wyvern is big enough, that might be the only new kit they get (like TK).

1 hour ago, michu said:

I don't expect remakes of non-hero models. So far the only released new plastic minis are heroes on flying monsters and new units (Foot Knights). So for example I can see new plastic Wyvern for Orcs, but no remade Boyz. If the Wyvern is big enough, that might be the only new kit they get (like TK).

We have no clue when/if they well ever redo units. I guess they will. For Bretonnia a new unit like plastic foot knights made sense as it adds something new to the army. 

It would ofcourse made sense to have new plastic spearmen/archers for TK. They decided not to do it. But it's not because they didn't want to do it for TK, that every other army is in the same boat. I find the old TK core troops ugly, but it seems not everybody finds this the case and have no problem buying the old TK mini's. 

We will see what the future brings, but everything shown so far is extremely exciting. 🙂

• Like 2

I'm wondering how other people are planning to balance AoS and ToW? I got back into Warhammer a few years ago. In my childhood I played WFB and 40k. On returning to the hobby, obviously WFB had been blown up and so I got into AoS and really enjoy it. It's been interesting seeing how the setting has developed over that time. 

I don't plan to stop collecting or playing AoS but I just can't ignore the pull of the old world either. My large dwarf army can finally return and I always craved a bretonnian army so that's my launch box sorted. I'm finding though I'll have a lot of crossovers with my collections... Cities of sigmar humans and bretonnians. Cities of sigmar duardin and dwarfs. Gloomspite and orcs and goblins. I guess my AoS choices were trying to recreate what I had in WFB!

I'll likely end up trying to use some models in both formats but it kind of feels a bit strange to be doubling up and I'm not sure how I'll end up splitting my hobby time. Has anyone else thought about this? Or just accept I'll have twice as many armies now 😂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Freypal said:

I'm wondering how other people are planning to balance AoS and ToW? I got back into Warhammer a few years ago. In my childhood I played WFB and 40k. On returning to the hobby, obviously WFB had been blown up and so I got into AoS and really enjoy it. It's been interesting seeing how the setting has developed over that time. 

I don't plan to stop collecting or playing AoS but I just can't ignore the pull of the old world either. My large dwarf army can finally return and I always craved a bretonnian army so that's my launch box sorted. I'm finding though I'll have a lot of crossovers with my collections... Cities of sigmar humans and bretonnians. Cities of sigmar duardin and dwarfs. Gloomspite and orcs and goblins. I guess my AoS choices were trying to recreate what I had in WFB!

I'll likely end up trying to use some models in both formats but it kind of feels a bit strange to be doubling up and I'm not sure how I'll end up splitting my hobby time. Has anyone else thought about this? Or just accept I'll have twice as many armies now 😂

With such cases, I think it's just best to follow your current mood, since we're pursuing this hobby out of joy. Want to play/paint nothing but WHFB for the next 6 months? Go for it! Feel like diving back into AoS and forget about ToW for the foreseeable future? Do so!

For example, I've been building and painting my dwarf throng with which I've been playing 7th with a few friends lately, but then got pulled back into my AoS lizardmen project after deciding to give a couple of saurus a lick of paint on a whim.

Game wise, I think it's good that the two games function very differently and scratch completely different itches, so there's always the other one when the first (inevitably, imho) grows stale.

To quote the friend I've been playing with, AoS is a better "game", but WHFB/ToW makes you feel like a general. All in all, it's a great time for people who enjoy both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freypal said:

We are a small gaming group of 5 that plays AoS. (No tournaments / clubs / hobby stores) Three (including me) played Warhammer before. The other two joined around AoS 3th edition. We are all parents / have a family, so hobby time is limited.

We play 2 times a month.

I hope to add a third gaming evening, so it's 2x AoS and 1x TOW. Or if it isn't possible one of each. Anyway I have another good friend that stopped with Warhammer a couple of months before the End Times, because RL issues. He is coming back for TOW. So even if our gaming group doesn't want to switch to AoS, I will still get my TOW gaming dosis😉 

AoS is a nice game with fantastic mini's. But the background does not much for us. The interactive map for TOW feels already more immersive and attractive than everthing AoS offered with all there realms and bizar stuff.

Warhammer / TOW is much more engaging in armybuilding, as a hobby project, making your own characters / personalize them,  customize your units more, create background stories and is more a wargame. All of us that come from the Warhammer scene, who are also interested in Swordpoint, HC and Black Powder are really happy with the return of a mass ranked ruleset (with flanks / rear) based in  the Warhammer universe.

AoS feels as a game more shallow. Foot characters feel bland, the option to customize is almost nihil. You can give them an artefact, but choices are limited. I play StD and I always field a Chaos Lord. None of my opponents fears him 🙂 lol and I avoide combat with him. His main function seems to stay out of trouble and make be on the battlefield for fluff reasons..., still I use him, because I like him for immersive reasons and the has his own retinue rule. His retinue is  ofcourse not a Chaos chosen unit, as a chosen mini is way to good to soak wounds for the Chaos lord. Sometimes it feels even better to just let the wounds pass to the Chaos lord instead of directing it to his Chaos Warrior retinue... so awesome rule fluff wise, gaming wise worthless.

I really hope that AoS4th edition will allow characters to join units which will add a bonus to the unit. Imo, it needs it to keep more players than TOW as TOW have a much bigger lure for players that love to make an army their own. You can see it already with the interactive map. Your empire army will it hail from one the four big provinces, or will you make an army for one of the border princes, will you create your own border prince? Lots of possibilities. The armybuilding aspect / possibilities are so much bigger with TOW, like it was with Warhammer before than it is with AoS. I am not a tournament player, don't care about WAAC. I just to build and play as immersive armies. A real hobby project  and that need isn't filled with AoS.

We play 2000 point AoS battles and it's still hard to finish a game in 3-4 hours, so not different at all compared to our Warhammer 8th edition battles. With AoS you also have to remember much more than it was during Warhammer 8th edition and still it feels like you have less options. The lack of USR really slow downs the game.

I love AoS for the mini's, but I would drop AoS in a blink of an eye if there was a change that GW would focus all their resources to TOW instead of AoS. Now with  bigger bases from 20mm to 25, much more is possible miniature wise for TOW. 

Edited by Tonhel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

AoS is a nice game with fantastic mini's. But the background does not much for us. The interactive map for TOW feels already more immersive and attractive than everthing AoS offered with all there realms and bizar stuff.

This is something that GW really needs to work on when it comes to AoS. The realms need be be treated almost like 8 "Old Worlds" With maps, factions, regions etc far more fleshed out. 

Edited by Hollow
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hollow said:

This is somethin that GW really needs to work on when it comes to AoS. The realms need be be treated almost like 8 "Old Worlds" With maps, factions, regions etc far more fleshed out. 

An interactive map like this released for TOW would be a really nice addition to AoS.