Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

6 hours ago, Big Kim Woof-Woof said:

. Are they going to be supplied with both square and round bases?

Freeguild handgunners/crossbowmen and Sisters of the Watch were sold with both round and (presumably left over) square bases until their recent removal from Cities. So I wouldn't totally rule out getting both base types in and both system compatible kits.

1 hour ago, Kitsumy said:

yes im really curious about that too as seraphon player.

i know there are lot of weird old players that loves the old models, and the uglier and bad sculped they be, they are merrier lol

but im sure even those guys cant deny noone will buy the 20 years old saurus, kroxigors, cold ones etc etc over the gorgeus new ones.

selling both lanes would be an absolutly huge mistake by gw, wasting storage space and time on that. and i dont get why would they do that, they dont sell old versions of miniatures, so why should do it now? i understand it on aosed models but not on those models loyal to old sculps like seraphon range per example

That's easy. They won't release the older ones because lizardmen aren't supported. Same with most factions with most or all of their range having a healthy life in AoS (skaven, vampires,ogres...). And beastmen haven't enjoyed any refreshment of its range, so that's a non-issue for them. 

So your question only really applies to Chaos Warriors. On that regard we'll have to wait and see, although I'd say the difference between the old and the new miniatures isn't as jarring as with the lizardmen/seraphon .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kitsumy said:

selling both lanes would be an absolutly huge mistake by gw, wasting storage space and time on that. and i dont get why would they do that, they dont sell old versions of miniatures, so why should do it now? i understand it on aosed models but not on those models loyal to old sculps like seraphon range per example

Except they sell old versions of miniatures all the time. Their made-to-order stuff. I expect that we'll see a LOT of old models come back as limited time made-to-order. That way people who do want them can get them. I suspect this is how armies like Lizardmen will be eventually handled. 

In fact, I think thats whats happening with a lot of teh photos that are confusing people. I think GW has painted up tons of old models to use in photos and displays, and plans to offer them as made-to-order for a limited time. But I don't think they plan to bring them back forever if theres a modern equivalent. Like the Treeman. So this would allow people who want those old models to get them without having to keep a massive library of out of date and low demand models in stock forever. It also allows them to take nostalgia filled pictures for their books and websites that make the Old World feel like a blast from the past, even if a lot of players will ultimately end up using many newer models.

Edited by GhostShark
  • Like 2

Yeah by their very nature MTO stuff isnt part of the range in any useful stuff, theyd be mad not to do it but its also typically single minis and elites rather than plastic units.

The old Chaos warriors do blend in alright as back rank fillers, but the new ones look so much better, and should fit fine on whatever new bases they get. I doubt they will do a reboxing to include both sets of bases but will sell them separately for folks.

I am interested to see what they release for Empire in the end, both them and Orcs have had most of their ranges removed from AoS and are the rumoured "second wave" for OW.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, michu said:

Well, I would definitely prefer old Ardboyz to modern ones. They have more Old World-y feel.

The old ones have a small charm to them.

also the fact they can be given great weapons, kinda just give them the feeling of heavy infantry.

although should I use my gitz in old world I’d buy the newer kit of black orks, which will then be given the hand weapon and shield options.

as spears just seems wrong for an ork that want’s to get as little space in between him and his foe

10 hours ago, Noserenda said:

Yeah by their very nature MTO stuff isnt part of the range in any useful stuff, theyd be mad not to do it but its also typically single minis and elites rather than plastic units.

The old Chaos warriors do blend in alright as back rank fillers, but the new ones look so much better, and should fit fine on whatever new bases they get. I doubt they will do a reboxing to include both sets of bases but will sell them separately for folks.

I am interested to see what they release for Empire in the end, both them and Orcs have had most of their ranges removed from AoS and are the rumoured "second wave" for OW.

I wouldn’t be worried.

there have been a ton lf old world/ army project players that used the new minis and have somehow managed to put them on the smaller bases even.

so if the bases are getting bigger so too likley will it be easier to put them on it😁

• Like 3

13 hours ago, YoghurtKobold said:

Do we have any reliable info whether there will be more new TK models than dragon and king?

We don’t really know although what is certain os that the skeleotn chariot and skeleotn warriors aren’t getting new models upon release considering the starter box for tomb kings that good leaked

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

If there even are any other new plastics coming, I hope it's new ushabti and not a unit of mummy infantry.  That's what tomb guard are for, and the old resin ushabti are awkward plus the melee & bow versions were designed far enough apart that imo they don't look right next to each other in the same army.

or maybe a new bone giant / heirotitan.  one was rumored to have been fully designed in the latter days of oldhammer, and only didn't release because the decision had been made at that point to scrap the faction along with the old world.

Though if they do turn out to have another big plastic centerpiece monster kit on the way, that only makes the decision to do the bone dragon instead of new skeletal infantry and horses all the more frustrating.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sception said:

If there even are any other new plastics coming, I hope it's new ushabti and not a unit of mummy infantry.  That's what tomb guard are for, and the old resin ushabti are awkward plus the melee & bow versions were designed far enough apart that imo they don't look right next to each other in the same army.

or maybe a new bone giant / heirotitan.  one was rumored to have been fully designed in the latter days of oldhammer, and only didn't release because the decision had been made at that point to scrap the faction along with the old world.

Though if they do turn out to have another big plastic centerpiece monster kit on the way, that only makes the decision to do the bone dragon instead of new skeletal infantry and horses all the more frustrating.

I am super curious to see what happens with those units that were designed and never released. Would they release them as part of TOW?

3 minutes ago, Ejecutor said:

I am super curious to see what happens with those units that were designed and never released. Would they release them as part of TOW?

I really hope that they do but it will depend on whether production moulds were ever made, which seems unlikely. If not then they'd have to be very confident in the kits selling in order to justify making them. Plastic injection moulds are insanely expensive even today, and tow mostly seems to be using old kits for that very reason. They may feel that if they're going to make a new mould it might as well be totally new, as reusing the old greens doesn't save rhem much.

Today it is probably the full ToW reveal :

"There’s no Old World Almanack next Monday – it’s Christmas Day after all, but check in on the 26th for something of an off-white Christmas…"

"Tune in tomorrow for a huge reveal ( buu just dark angels ) , followed by something special on Boxing Day"

Edited by cyrus

Looking at the TK army box and the 2024 skeleton dragon next to the TK skeletons that are older than Methuselah, not only is the contrast absolutely jarring, but it makes you wonder what's going on behind the heads at GW HQ to decide that 25 y/o miniatures in a launch box of a new game system is a good idea. Especially coming of the heels of the Tyranid refresh where the Termagaunts were the first minis to get an upgrade.

image.png.6070b833ddff6e1404070dafb017c5c3.png

I really feel like GW doesn't intend to market new players for TOW, more like, their target audience are the nostalgics/long term hobbyists. Those already have armies with tons of the same miniatures they are reselling now, so I guess, who cares to make new models if your core audience will be using the older ones it already has... But they won't be drawing in new blood with 25 y/o minis, that's for sure.

• Like 7

So I love Nekaph, the BSB bearer is a fine mini, and the new swarms don't work for me. Compared to the originals, the fancy poses make it hard to focus on the actual swarm.

So, is that everything for TK? No new plastic unit, unless the swarms are it? Also loving (not) how you'll need to purchase three books just to use Bretonnia and TK.

• Like 1