AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

28 minutes ago, Luzgurbel said:

For any reason, GW doesnt want endless spells for Destruction armis bar from Gloomspite :/

Maybe they haven’t been as profitable as they hoped and they’re moving  away. Cities also didn’t get them. I guess it could be any number of reasons since OBR are getting them...

38 minutes ago, FPC said:

Maybe they haven’t been as profitable as they hoped and they’re moving  away. Cities also didn’t get them. I guess it could be any number of reasons since OBR are getting them...

That's not it.  The orc book the ogor book and the citiies book, where more or less minimal effort rush jobs to get the armies playable again. Specialy for the orc and cities book. The studie basicly did not do a full design cause they where rushed to do it.  Bone reapers how ever are a fully designed army. 

Eh, I guess that’s possible. I think Cities is a solid book and wouldn’t call it rushed. They was a decent sized gap between its announcement and release. BoC also seemed pretty ad hoc and they got spells. Maybe GW just doesn’t like Destruction! 

1 hour ago, Zappgrot said:

That's not it.  The orc book the ogor book and the citiies book, where more or less minimal effort rush jobs to get the armies playable again. Specialy for the orc and cities book. The studie basicly did not do a full design cause they where rushed to do it.  Bone reapers how ever are a fully designed army. 

You can maybe say the Orruk book got short shrift but they definitely put a lot of work into the Cities book, that was definitely not a rush job (or if it was, then they did a good job rushing a good book) 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, smartazjb0y said:

You can maybe say the Orruk book got short shrift but they definitely put a lot of work into the Cities book, that was definitely not a rush job (or if it was, then they did a good job rushing a good book) 

Agreed. Cities has a lot to be positive about, doesn’t appear outwardly broken but has some good power/synergy. All of the Cities save for maybe 1 or 2 are decent if not strong. The wide ranging option allows most (sorry high elves) people with old WHFB armies that made the change over to keep playing. Only a few units seem patently weak (or, really, just over-costed).  A lot of thought clearly went into each city’s abilities, spells, etc.  I can’t really speak to Orruks bc I know almost nothing about them.

• Like 1

Orruk book I’m my opinion is really good. All 3 allegiances are very playable and I can see potential for competitive builds a number of ways within those 3 allegiances. 

it’s made me excited for the new combined ogre book as well(having both armies already). Then because I’m a hobby butterfly I will probably get drawn into new death and oh what’s that slaves to darkness is around the corner and I have Archaon and a bunch of varangaurd going unloved (assuming they get wrapped into the book). 

for ogres I will need to expand my collection though especially on the BCR side which currently is stone horns big Skal and Yetis. TT becoming priests is cool and then on the guts side a firebelly probably needs to be got now. 

8 hours ago, Zappgrot said:

Ben Johnson in the stream said we are dependent on models created and no endless spells (and apparently no models at all) were created according to him and that's the reason. Bit doubtful in my mind but it's true that Orruk and Cities didn't need the models department. It's simply rules. 

14 hours ago, Infeston said:

I loved the greenish/grey Ogres back then! These Ogors were one of the reason I started collecting Ogres.

But the thing is that I never accomplished a similar skin tone back then. Does maybe anyone of you Ogor players know how to accomplish this "green/grey" skin tone?

My Ogors look similar I used Vallejo Olive as base, followed by Hemp and a final highlight of hemp mixed with a bone white of your choice.

You could get a more green finish, by skipping the final white highlight and just highlighting with the hemp colour.

1677651376_EAc4tCMU8AA87CN(1).jpg.2ba1ebfeee0cbb27e83116831db434b1.jpg

• Like 3

I'm happier that we got a terrain piece than endless spells. Terrain pieces had way more impact to the games I've played than endless spells. And we do have an incentive to actually try and dispel endless spells now anyway (Butcher). And there are a ton of actual endless spells to choose from, there we ere not really any terrain pieces worth placing for Ogors imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fundre said:

I have not been this excited for a battle tome in a loooong time!!! I think they've done all the right things to bring our fatty's back to a competitive level :D

As well as that I really like what I've heard about the new book in terms of the new background and the fun the writers had with the naming of some of the rules, the fact that they're keeping all the units around, the return of Gnoblars (not Grots!) and retro grey-skin Ogors, that Beastclaws are still a thing while also bringing the whole family together again, the addition of prayers for the Huskard and a unique lore for Firebellies, GW encouraging kit-bashing and painting Ogors any colour you like because 'they are what they eat' etc. I was a huge WHFB Ogre Kingdoms fan since they first appeared, I couldn't be happier so far and I can't wait to get my hands on the tome!

Edited by Gareth 🍄
  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

11 hours ago, FPC said:

Agreed. Cities has a lot to be positive about, doesn’t appear outwardly broken but has some good power/synergy. All of the Cities save for maybe 1 or 2 are decent if not strong. The wide ranging option allows most (sorry high elves) people with old WHFB armies that made the change over to keep playing. Only a few units seem patently weak (or, really, just over-costed).  A lot of thought clearly went into each city’s abilities, spells, etc.  I can’t really speak to Orruks bc I know almost nothing about them.

Just because the results are godo doesn't mean it wasn't a rush job. All 3 of these books have been sort of shoved into the scedual. I think the Orruk book and the city book are both great. But they did not go trough a full studio design cycle. (hench the lack of newness) 

33 minutes ago, Zappgrot said:

Just because the results are godo doesn't mean it wasn't a rush job. All 3 of these books have been sort of shoved into the scedual. I think the Orruk book and the city book are both great. But they did not go trough a full studio design cycle. (hench the lack of newness) 

If they're great and the results are good, what about them indicates they weren't a rush job? And if the results are good AND it was a rush job, what does it matter? 

15 hours ago, Luzgurbel said:

For any reason, GW doesnt want endless spells for Destruction armis bar from Gloomspite :/

In lieu of their own I’m going with Ravenak’s Gnashing Jaws! Maybe they’ll be able to cast that one boosted like the Cities book...

1 hour ago, Zappgrot said:

I be happy to see evidence that these were rushed but I haven’t heard that straight from GW. Again, lack of “newness” doesn’t mean they were rushed. Several factions received nothing but endless spells and maybe a hero. There is a similar window between Mawtribes announcement and release and they’re getting a new model.

And either way, like others said, if the results were good, why does development time matter? GW have spent years developing SCE and they’ve ranged from top-tier competitive to their current state (1-2 solid builds, lots of junk, everything in between).  Time of development isn’t always a good indicator of quality as far as GW is concerned.

Also wasn’t one of the first studio interviews with one of the Cities devs who basically said this project had been his masterpiece, and maybe even that it had been a long time coming?  Heck there have been rumors of an Empire revive since at least early 2019.

We can argue whether Cities and Orruk Warclans were rushed or not but regardless they didn't involve any work on the part of the miniature design time as there were no new sculpts. They might have been the victims (or beneficiaries) of GW deciding to just get battletomes done to bring up armies to a 2.0 standard instead of handcuffing book releases to miniature releases. In the future we might see new models come out for armies without them also getting a new battletome. It might make it easier to get things out the door more quickly, especially when no battletome armies are just about unplayable right now. It could also explain with MawTribes why they didn't cut the finecrap Butcher/Slaughtermaster/Firebelly as they are planning on releasing plastic sculpts for them its just going to be awhile until the miniature design team can get around to it.

Interesting that they've changed the names of the BCR subfactions to something in English. Based on the icon, backstories, characteristics and rules, looks like the Boulderheads are the old Svard alfrostun (Braggoth's crew), the Thunderbellies are the Olwyr, and the Winterbite are the Fraya.