With the new Gotrek model up for preorder on Saturday what do you think his warscroll will look like? 

If they incorporate the lore he will have to be practically indestructable and have multiple attacks that can kill almost anything. 

8 wounds, 3+ save (and a 5+ supersave)

5at, 3+, 3+, -2, 3 damage? 

Answers on a postcard...

Well ... he should be immortal, that's for sure. Not even the death of a whole universe managed to kill him. :D

EDIT: I'm SO looking forward to the next audiodrama with Brian Blessed voicing him again. Him meeting Nagash and that way probably one or two mortarchs as well will be awesome!

Edited by Panzer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Panzer said:

Well ... he should be immortal, that's for sure. Not even the death of a whole universe managed to kill him. :D

EDIT: I'm SO looking forward to the next audiodrama with Brian Blessed voicing him again. Him meeting Nagash and that way probably one or two mortarchs as well will be awesome!

God him meeting Mannfred would be epic.

• Like 3

I think there is a case to be made that he is the toughest entity in any warhammer universe.

We know that he wandered the Realm of Chaos for millennia until the Ruinous Powers grew bored of tormenting him. Gotrek's whole modus operandi is to pick a fight with everything he meets, kill it, fail to die in the process and then find something even tougher to fight.

From this we can conclude that:

a) Khorne didn't beat Gotrek in a fight

and b) He ultimately got fed up of trying.

Gotrek likely didn't fight Khorne that and he's not actually defeated a God Beast yet either. He shouted at one and it slinked off and the other one swallowed him.

He's tough but he's not totally invulnerable, but he is often darn lucky. He is also, for all his grumpy attitude, quite endearing to people. This tends to land him with powerful allies.

Also don't forget he's still not got his Axe back yet! 

5 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

I dunno, I find it hard to believe he could be trapped in the realm of Chaos for that long and not pick a fight with Khorne, and its not as though either of them would have been reticent to beat each other up.

From what little we can gather the Chaos Gods more treated him as a toy. The Chaos Realm isn't one where you can easily walk from A to B or even find a map. It's size is likely mind boggling to most mortals. So chances are Gotrek could have been wallowing in a tiny corner. Whilst he's powerful in a "one on one" situation he's not able to fly; divine; throw out bolts of lighting etc... Nor is he invulnerable, he's close enough it seems, but not quite the same. Injury will slow him down, enough and he will die. 

In Realmslayer he clearly comes across as having been teased by the Chaos Gods. A creature in their realm who can fight and fight and never stop in that realm; but who ultimately can't beat his way to them so easily. Or at least one which they can step aside from. 

We might hear more about his time there one day, but I'd wager we might not see him walk up and beat Khorne or such. Greater Demons sure. 

Personally I'd actually like to see him get knocked down a peg or two, just a little. If just because it will add a sense of adventuring gravity to his adventures if he can be defeated; beaten and tricked etc... Ergo if one can get around him and thus if not put him directly at risk, then his allies and those he might be defending. 

• Like 1

Neat thread, here's my take on accurate but balanced rules for the old setting's unluckiest trollslayer:

Deals as much damage as a charged up Celestant Prime, is as hard to shift as a Great Unclean one, is unfortunately stuck at a 4" move that can never be buffed or improved.

Has a special rule called Worthy Doom, that means that if he hasn't manged to get killed by the end of the battle the player using him's victory threshold goes down by one (so a major victory becomes a minor, minor victory a draw, draw a minor loss, ect)

Is always being followed by at least one of Thanquol's kill squads, hence all the dead skaven on the base. Represented by the player fielding Gotrek having to provide a unit of 20 Clanrats who respawn from a table edge when slain for their opponent to use. :D  

Edited by Double Misfire
  • Haha 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Personally I'd actually like to see him get knocked down a peg or two, just a little. If just because it will add a sense of adventuring gravity to his adventures if he can be defeated; beaten and tricked etc... Ergo if one can get around him and thus if not put him directly at risk, then his allies and those he might be defending. 

He can be defeated, beaten and tricked just fine. That was never an issue. He just has the ultimate plot armour, which is pure irony because it goes completely against his goal to die in battle to restore his honour. So no matter what happens, where the battle takes him, how much he gets injured and so on ... he won't die. That's what makes him special as a Slayer (and not a Fyreslayer because apart from the appearance those have nothing in common!).

Edited by Panzer
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Panzer said:

He can be defeated, beaten and tricked just fine. That was never an issue. He just has the ultimate plot armour, which is pure irony because it goes completely against his goal to die in battle to restore his honour. So no matter what happens, where the battle takes him, how much he gets injured and so on ... he won't die. That's what makes him special as a Slayer (and not a Fyreslayer because apart from the appearance those have nothing in common!).

Gotrek's effectively Batman as far as power discrepancy goes, in that depending on the situation he's in he can capably solo a Bloodthirster, but also get roughed up by tavern louts or knocked unconscious by a mutant with sling. I don't really mind where his rules fall, I'll definitely be using him in every game I play. :D 

Also if anyone wants a refresher course on what went down in Realmslayer ahead of Gotrek's new audiobook and novel coming out a week on Saturday, I've put together a recap summary of what went down on his first adventure in the Mortal Realms, check it out:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/08/review-realmslayer-part-2-spoilerific.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Gotrek's effectively Batman as far as power discrepancy goes, in that depending on the situation he's in he can capably solo a Bloodthirster, but also get roughed up by tavern louts or knocked unconscious by a mutant with sling. I don't really mind where his rules fall, I'll definitely be using him in every game I play. :D 

Also if anyone wants a refresher course on what went down in Realmslayer ahead of Gotrek's new audiobook and novel coming out a week on Saturday, I've put together a recap summary of what went down on his first adventure in the Mortal Realms, check it out:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/08/review-realmslayer-part-2-spoilerific.html

Trust me, speedsters like The Flash are way worse than Batman in that regard. ;) 

Ultimately Gotrek is not meant to be a character you should take seriously. His whole life is tragedy for him and comedy for us. Too bad they wrote him so well that he got an actual fanbase now. :D 

Edited by Panzer
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

In terms of lore strength, is he equal to Alarielle, Nagash, Sigmar etc? 

It seems like he either is Grimnir or an aspect of him, so logically he shouldn’t be their equal yet. 

He's not Grimnir. He met Grimnir and owns his axe now (if he can ever find it again). ;) 

2 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I thought in the End Times, Grimnir essentially crowned Gotrek as his replacement. 

Yes and no...

Grimnir resurrects Gotrek, and sends him to take his place holding the gates to the Realm of Chaos, so that Grimnir can be free to travel back into the Mortal Realm and help in the battles of the end times. Its implied that he imbues him with some of his power (symbolised by trading axes), but he doesn't elevate him to godhood per se.

He is definitely Grimnir's heir, and his chosen champion. He is his replacement in the sense that he takes over doing his job, but not in the sense that Grimnir passes his divine portfolio on to him.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

Yes and no...

Grimnir resurrects Gotrek, and sends him to take his place holding the gates to the Realm of Chaos, so that Grimnir can be free to travel back into the Mortal Realm and help in the battles of the end times. Its implied that he imbues him with some of his power (symbolised by trading axes), but he doesn't elevate him to godhood per se.

He is definitely Grimnir's heir, and his chosen champion. He is his replacement in the sense that he takes over doing his job, but not in the sense that Grimnir passes his divine portfolio on to him.

Ah that makes sense, thank you for clearing that up. 

So by rights he should be around Mortarch/Celestant Prime level? 

32 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

Ah that makes sense, thank you for clearing that up. 

So by rights he should be around Mortarch/Celestant Prime level? 

I would think so yes. He's definitely in that "metamortal" kind of range, much to his chagrin I'm sure.

That said, I'm going off information in Kinslayer, Slayer, and Realmslayer, I've not read the other End Times books, so don't know if he shows up later in that arc. His exit in Slayer seemed pretty final, so I don't think so, but I'm not certain.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Uffe said:

Killed so many things he ran out of things to slay and they had to stop using '------slayer' in his book titles for a while.

Greatest story of warhammer history and shouldnt be playable with rules 😃

Why not wouldn't it be fun if he like cost 1(3)000points and basically destroys everything when being set up on the table

Ability - Honour in Death. If you manage to slay Gotrek upon the battlefield, thus ensuring that the great dwarf finally meets his doom, then your opponent is duty bound to buy the first round of Bugman's Brew at the GW Bar so that you might toast the great Dwarf and quaff much ale in celebration.

Note it is mandated that to quaff properly you have to have a beard. If you're unable to grow one (because you're some weakling elf or something) then a false beard will be acceptable. 

Note 2 womenfolk are not required to have a beard, but its still generally expected of them in most quaffing circles. 

• Like 1